MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

14.11: Putting Social Science to the Test—Field Experiments in Economics by Mitra L. '07

A new class on experimental social science, including: race discrimination, gender differences in behavior, persuasion, corruption and voting

One of the economics electives I have signed up for is 14.11: Putting Social Science to the Test – Field Experiments in Economics. From what I hear, this class was just created this year, and this is the first semester it’s being offered. I think the website is enrollee-only, so here’s some information on what we’re going to study:

What is 14.11?
14.11 is a new class on the topic of field (that is, “in situ”) and laboratory experiments in the social sciences — both what these experiments have taught and can teach us and how to conduct them.
The class has three major components:

1. In lecture, we will discuss (and you will read research papers on) 12 major substantive topics addressed by experimental social science, including: race discrimination, gender differences in behavior, persuasion, corruption and voting. (See the syllabus on this site for a complete list).

2. Each lecture will also cover methodological topics that will aid you in designing, conducting, analyzing and presenting a field or laboratory experiment.

3. You, the student, will conduct an original experimental study (i.e., not only library or Google research) with human subjects. There will be a number of structured assignments and milestones leading to the planning, execution, write-up and presentation of this research.

List of topics:
1. Race discrimination
2. Gender differences in economic environments
3. Improving educational outcomes
4. Incentives
5. Intrinsic motivation and fairness
6. Commitment and self-control
7. Learning and social effects
8. Jury/advocacy
9. Housing experiments
10. Voting behavior and political economy
11. Public health and persuasion
12. Corruption/incentives

I am SO excited for this class!

4 responses to “14.11: Putting Social Science to the Test—Field Experiments in Economics”

1. Phil says:

Have you read Freakonomics? If you haven’t it would definatley serve to get you more hyped up than you already seem to be. I read it this summer during my college-o-thon, and it definatley impacted me. I say impacted, but what I really mean is jaded. Because during my college-o-thon (as I have affectionatley dubbed it) I kept coming to each university thinking–for some innane reason–that I wanted to be an economist.

The book obviously is worth reading as it nearly compromised my entire educational future.

Hey Phil,

Yup, I’ve read Freakonomics. The economist (Steve Levitt) who co-wrote it got his PhD from MIT =)

Read more at http://mitra.mitblogs.com/archives/2005/06/mit_references.html

3. saikumar says:

Hi.

Do u have something called ‘ragging’ MIT??

I persume u r indian and that u know abt it..

Saikumar

Hey Saikumar,

Nope, I’m not Indian, so I don’t know what “ragging” is.

Mitra