MIT student blogger Chris S. '11

15.27182 – Lecture Anatomy 101 by Chris S. '11

Prereq: None, Units: 1-0-1, Lecture: M EVE (11 PM-midnight) (iHouse), NO FINAL

Practical introduction to the theory of lecture seating. Revolves mainly around the Oasis Model of Lecture Seating, along with practical applications to demonstrate the concepts. Emphasizes applicational examples, such as 18.02, 7.03, 14.01, 5.12, 7.012, and numerous others. Restricted to freshman. Prerequisite to 15.31416 – Introduction to Grade Distribution Analysis of Lecture Seating. Offered Fall term only.

Happy Thanksgiving, guys! :)

40 responses to “15.27182 – Lecture Anatomy 101”

1. Vytautas says:

Ouch! But so true, in Lithuania too smile

2. Efolse '11 says:

HAHAHAHA.

I would be a self-described “busy beaver,” and I ALWAYS sit in the fourth row, center section.

Kudos!

3. Colton says:

This reminds me of when my entire class was sitting in the auditorium and my principal entered. After he jokingly said “Looks like a cross-section of the popularity ladder,” I realized that I am rather unpopular. Why did I have to sit front row?

4. Stacy says:

Haha, so true but I hate sitting in the front and prefer the middle. Guess that makes me the ‘busy’ type.

Haha! You forgot to include people who are genuinely interested in learning, though ):

This totally works for me. I always try to get a seat in the middle, and the second or third row (first row is too intimidating) and I ALWAYS ask questions until I fully understand the topic.

Plus, then I can’t fall asleep. :/

I spy
    with my little eye
    pi

grin

7. deng says:

@ last anon:
    I don’t see it… have you been trying too hard to procrastinate sunday night?

8. Matt A. says:

You missed one more category: LEFTIES!!!
    I suspect that I won’t have too many seat choices in these big lecture halls… hmmm

9. Yan says:

@ Matt:
    There’s left-handed seats in 10-250. This is a fact that was not immediately apparent when I began sitting in the section that was always suspiciously empty. It took me about 1.5 months to figure out why taking notes was so uncomfortable.

@ Oasis:
    Let’s test this with my data.

7.012: Center section, either far left or far right edge, midway back. Busy. Check.

24.900: Second row, edge closest to center aisle. Picky. Nope (I’m more sleepy than anything).

8.01t: Error. Cannot compute.

3.091: Front row center. Overachieving. Check.

Overall, not bad.

Very nice, although sadly I have totally seen people fall asleep in the front row. smile

I’m dark blue!

MIT has desks for lefties? I have truly found paradise.

13. Ahana says:

LOL!
    And to think I was actually going to skip this entry reading ’15.xxxxx’…this is priceless.

I have to admit that I am the red square.

But I really don’t have the overachiever grades no matter how hard I study.
    Yes, I’m a red square with average grades. Yes, that’s pathetic.

@deng

look carefully at the course number tongue wink

15.27182, prerequisite to 15.31416

haha

17. Vivi says:

You know our 18.01 class all too well.

18. Judy says:

@ Chris

oh lawl…. the premed one… haha

19. deng says:

@second to last anon
    haha..
    took me a minute to find even with the hint

I spy
    With my little eye
    e
    grin

21. K says:

this reminds me of my class which start filling from the rear side towards the front……but never actually gets to the front 2 rows….

You guys are hilarious. This was meant more as a joke than anything. Usually, I don’t think the concentration of premed is this high (unless it’s a premed required class, or bio classes lol), and also, I had to sacrifice some things for the sake of alliteration (“eager beaver” > “busy beaver”) hehe.

@ Paul –

I’ve fallen asleep in Auroux’s class, in the VERY FIRST ROW. Worst feeling ever cuz he’s actually a really good lecturer and I really just fell asleep due to exhaustion….T_____T

@ Lefties –

Most auditoriums have lefty desks. For example, 32-123 (the auditorium in the Stata Center), has “seat columns” (in airline lingo, each seat that has the same letter) devoted to lefties (you just have to remember to sit on the edge column of a block – sadly I don’t remember which side of the block it was…oh well you’ll figure it out soon enough).

23. Matt A. says:

@Yan
    That was basically my thought process until I happened to walk into a lecture hall and noticed a column of seats with desks on the left side and thus discovered the existence of lefty desks. (I have rather limited experience with those types of desks/auditorium seats being that I’m still in high school.)

24. frosh says:

lol, according to this i’m a picky premed. in reality i just need glasses.

25. Nicole '10 says:

Lol, I think I’ve slowly transitioned from orange (though I was never a premed, just picky, and I sat in those seats) as a freshman to dark blue now… ooops.

26. Reena says:

I identify so, so well with the cyan “sleepy scholar.” And do tend to not like the back of the room (I’d probably be on the side, front-ish but not way front xD). So I s’pose that works. smile

Haha. This reminds me of my bio lecture hall. Hmm…I guess I would fall under the category of overachiever. Funnily enough, I’ve done neither of those things. I just sit and look hot. :o

I’m the person who sits way in the back and raises my hand a lot. That way, I get an excuse to shout. I like shouting.

29. Niki says:

So…are there any seats are for people who actually enjoy the class?

30. Niki says:

(Excuse my typo .__. )

31. Rachel says:

I always try to get the second seat in the second row. It was always a luck thing, but Busy Beaver would be an accurate description.

32. deng says:

lol overachieving overachievers?
    starting this year, I decided to sit in either first or second row in all my classes so I wouldn’t fall asleep every other class xD

when is thanksgiving break for you guys?

33. ming says:

@Chris

was the overachiever likely to seat in the back, or was the back seat made the overachiever?
    I used to seat in front ‘_’

lol this is hilarious. when i first read the title, i thought the entry would be a little dull. good thing i clicked the link anyway =]

35. wendi says:

*dies laughing*
    Impressive chart! wink

I always sit in the first row though… because I’m hearing impaired so I’m sort of forced to sit in front. Otherwise, I can’t hear ;(.

36. Helena says:

Wow. Amazing chart!
    Well, usually I’ll be sitting in the second or third row. So I guess that makes me being categorized as ‘Picky’. But in reality, I’m in the ‘busy’ group. Busy but enjoys every class. I do fall asleep sometimes when there’s just too much of assignments and 2 hours of sleep.

37. Meagan M says:

so it just posted my comment for the second time…it was the computers fault for telling me it didn’t post the first time. ..yeah

38. Meagan M says:

And where do you sit? lol

39. Meagan M says:

And where does Chris sit? lol