Hamsika C. '13

Mar 14, 2010

A Few Words

Posted in: Best of the Blogs, Process & Statistics

I realize that some of you have been counting down to this day since what seems like forever. I know what that feels like.

When regular action decisions came out last year, I was at a debate tournament, with no access to a computer. A friend of mine had promised to let me use her Blackberry to check my decision, but just as the pivotal moment arrived, I couldn't find her; she'd disappeared to go eat lunch at a nearby McDonald's. I don't think I've ever disliked fast food more.

After fidgeting for a good ten minutes, I decided to call home and get my mom to check for me. It took me a great deal of nerve to do that, to know that if I were to be rejected, my mom would see it first. But still, I called. And told her how to log in. And listened to her read the letter. And proceeded to hyperventilate in disbelief and happiness.

I've wondered before what my life would be like if I hadn't gotten into MIT and hadn't chosen to come here. I believe it would have worked out fine: I would have still gone to college, made new friends, learned to work hard, had a blast.

Your decisions will come out in less than six hours, and it's possible that no amount of distraction will ease your anxiety. I hope you guys have all read Chris's entry. Really, don't panic!

To those of you who get in: Welcome to MIT! Celebrate with your family and friends - and join the Facebook group! Make sure you thank the ones who helped you make it this far :) I can't wait to meet some of you at CPW!

To those of you who don't get in: Take a deep breath. It's okay.
In my psychology class, we talked about an experiment where people attempted to predict their level of happiness before and after receiving a raise. Several stated that they'd be much happier after receiving such a pay increase; months later, however, both those who hadn't received a raise and those who had reported the same level of satisfaction with their lives.
I'm sorry for giving you guys a psych lesson :( I just want you to know that it's going to be fine. You're all talented and creative; you might not be using MIT as your stepping stone, but you're still going to change the world.

And to those of you who get waitlisted: Waiting's hard, yes. But the sentiment of this entry still applies. Don't give up hope! People really do get off the waitlist, and you could be one of them :)

To everyone: As my Star Wars-loving friends frequently say: May the Force be with you.

thank you hamsika smile

Posted by: darxsys on March 14, 2010

haha, darxsys - now do you believe i'm real? =P

Posted by: Hamsika '13 on March 14, 2010

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smile

Posted by: Beverly Marion '14?? on March 14, 2010

@hamsika

sure. smile

Posted by: darxsys on March 14, 2010

Hello Hamsika Di,
Thats really nice that you gave us tips for the last moments !

I am really thankful to you for that !
Your Orgo test is also coming (as you told), so Pi day can be a big distraction for you too ! raspberry

Practice writing your orgo equations !! Haha !
Tip for you: Draw the electron pushing arrows carefully ! smile
Thanks again !
Sambheet Krishna

Posted by: Sambheet Krishna, India on March 14, 2010

I have come to love the airpoke room, thanks to Anshu for creating it...

Posted by: andJarodsaid on March 14, 2010

Thanks so much Hamsika!!
Goodluck to everyone!

Posted by: Chandra on March 14, 2010

Thx for the words of advice. I think that we all still have to come to terms with whatever happens at two on our own.

Posted by: Brad on March 14, 2010

I've been waiting for your blog, Hamsika, and as always it makes me feel better. Thanks!=)

Posted by: Val'14? on March 14, 2010

Thank you for the kind words Hamsika!
I've been tapdancing around the house for a day now.
Three hours left.

-cykia

Posted by: Bianca ('14?) on March 14, 2010

hey i'm in a college in india but i wanna "start over" (and not transfer) at(to) mit .is that possible

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2010

Thanks Hamsika for the advice, I wish you best of all with your workload and tests coming up!

Posted by: FuLanKe on March 14, 2010

You know I'm not getting my decisions this year (I'm a potential one '15er), but this was still so meaningful! Thank you!

Posted by: Banerjee on March 14, 2010

Posted by: FuLanKe on March 14, 2010

Hey Hamsika that really did help!! thanks so much.... thanks for being part of this AWESOME experience. smile

Posted by: Sreyan on March 14, 2010

My fellow Hopefuls, just remember MIT students' one famous saying, IHTFP... and more...
More likely than not, once you're in, you'll also be saying IHTFP...

Posted by: tree on March 14, 2010

and Hamisika, you're a kind person! Good luck on your ORGO!

Posted by: tree on March 14, 2010

now it's less than TWO HOURS!

Posted by: Dawn Estep on March 14, 2010

1 hr 40 min left.
Can't concentrate on my studies at all.

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2010

Thanks for the tips. I just can't believe that most of us have been prepping and working so hard, waiting, spending money, in order to just find out within 1 second that we were rejected. However, some of us will find out that we were accepted. Ohhh, I don't know why, but I am happy right now. Probably because there is a ton of hope and curiosity just bouncing all over inside me. smile Good luck guys!

Posted by: L '14? on March 14, 2010

don't hv anything to say except all the best and best of luck to all! May God Bless Us All And Be With Us Always!

and to those who don't get in remember God never gives us more than we can handle and whatever happens, happens for the best..

captcha: devaluation overdraw.. hmm.....
recaptcha: to outwit

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

Just o'er 1 hr left.

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2010

pending the wonder...

Posted by: starfather on March 14, 2010

Thanks for the advice! That was beautiful.

Posted by: Nathan on March 14, 2010

been reading all the blogs, I guess its getting pretty tense. Good luck to all my fellow applicants as we are now 46 minutes away from the decision release.

Posted by: Aaron on March 14, 2010

Good luck, all! God blessGood luck, all! God bless<3

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2010

Thank you Hamsika, that was the best thing anyone said to me today, especially about the Force.

May the force be with us all, fellow applicants.

Posted by: André on March 14, 2010

27 mins!!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2010

LOL almost all of you will be really really dissapointed in 30 minutes.
Keep in mind: YOU'RE GETTING REJECTED.
Because you know that is what is going to happen.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

gr8 post....Chris's blog ddnt help. I'm so scared.

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2010

15 mins!!

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2010

"LOL almost all of you will be really really dissapointed in 30 minutes.
Keep in mind: YOU'RE GETTING REJECTED.
Because you know that is what is going to happen."

^someone's a kill-joy. Course this will happen but its not the end of the world. Ya win some, ya lose some, just keep moving on.

Posted by: Aaron on March 14, 2010

its nearly time
Best of luck everyone

Posted by: Divyansh on March 14, 2010

waitlisted :(

Posted by: bgg on March 14, 2010

It's alright, bgg. I got rejected smile (not that I'm happy)

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

Now that I know that it is there - just one click away, I don't want to open mine. I'm nervous/scared. :/

Posted by: Anurag '14? on March 14, 2010

Rejected. :(

Posted by: David on March 14, 2010

Rejected. Ah well. Think of Steve Jobs... not everything worked out for him and yet he became totally successful.

Posted by: Christine on March 14, 2010

Rejected, after a life of being trained that MIT was the best place in the world. And I still believe it. I'll still probably read this blog, it's really entertaining, but it will be painful for a while.

Here's to the far-off possibility of grad school.

Posted by: Jazzy on March 14, 2010

hmm.. still all these: ('14?).

waitlisted.

Posted by: Hania ('14?) on March 14, 2010

‚ô• from me to all of you, regardless of whether you got in or not

Thank you again Hamsika, I am sad I will not meet all the bloggers I like, including you. But well I still love MIT, and I will problably apply to grad school (hopefully I will still be accepted to another university, if not I will try MIT again).

And my god, how bad are people dealing with their denied admission on the open forum. I though MIT applicants would be more prepared for such outcome and at least polite.

Posted by: André on March 14, 2010

Hey Hansika,
I've been reading your blog for a while now and believe me when I say that your writing always brought a smile on my face!

I would not be joining MIT now! Got painfully rejected! And MIT was never grad school option for me!

MIT was my first result and first rejection! :(

If I get in any of the other schools I've applied to I know I'd still be reading your blog entries!

Have fun and never change! You are AWESOMELY comforting!!

Posted by: Akshat on March 15, 2010

hello everyone!! I received my rejection letter but thats fine.I am happy I competed with the best.
A hearty congratulations to those who have been admitted..But to those rejected,just remember this..

Famous tennis star Arthur Ashe, who was suffering from HIV was asked that won't he feel bad to
die.....
Ashe said...
" THERE ARE 6 BILLION PEOPLE....
2 MILLION TRY TO PLAY TENNIS....
1 MILLION LEARN....
500000 BECOME PROFESSIONALS....
AMONG THEM ONLY 128 ARE SELECTED FOR WIMBLEDON....
THEN 4 FOR THE SEMI-FINALS....
2 FOR THE FINALS....
ONLY ONE WINS....
WHEN I WAS ON THAT VICTORY STAND,I DIDN'T ASK GOD WHY ME ?
WHY SHOULD I ASK NOW ? "

So "Stay hungry ,stay foolish" and be happy..

Posted by: Varun on March 15, 2010

Hamsika- I enjoy your blog entries- echoing your closing sentence, since you are a blogger-
"Metaphors be with you".

Posted by: Mom out west on March 15, 2010

it is very great news that you made it to mit..

just WoW!!best of luck for ur future

Posted by: razi on March 16, 2010

You're so cute.

Posted by: Nikita on March 16, 2010