MIT student blogger Bryan O. '07

A Night with Cranium by Bryan

Myth debunking and Cranium!

MIT: Where we make “nerdy” things fun.

Exhibit A: Mystery Hunt Team Party – Saturday January 20

As if doing puzzles and brain teasers for an entire weekend was not enough, our recent team party included a night filled of Cranium.

Some of my favorite quotes from the night:

In a “Club Cranium” round of Cloodle, I attempted to draw “Baby’s Breath”:
Diana: Are your eyes open?

(Keep in mind Cloodle is the sketching competition where your eyes are open. In Sensosketch, your eyes are closed.)

Apparently my doodles weren’t working.

In a “Club Cranium” round of Humdinger, Diana and others hum the theme song to “Star Wars”:
Shahar: “Star Wars!”
Bryan: “I was about to say that.”
Jenna: “I’ve never seen Star Wars.”
Diana: “Neither have I.”

There you have it folks, you can go to MIT without having seen Star Wars.

A few clutch photos from the evening:

I think we scared Yonas.

Exhibit B: MIT Integration Bee, First Round: Thursday January 25, 2007

Integration Bee Qualifying Testing

Stop by at any point during the session, for a quick test of your single variable integration skills. Top scorers qualify for the Integration Bee. No knowledge beyond 18.01 necessary.

First Spellbound…NEXT: Derivativebound…maybe?

13 responses to “A Night with Cranium”

1. Jess says:

haaa I know those people.
    also, I sadly have only seen the new Star Wars (all three). I think that’s probably even worse than not even seeing Star Wars at all, but shh..

2. Joe says:

I want to watch all the Star Wars movies again now…

3. First post!
    First time!

I didn’t understand this blog at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ankit Chandra
    Gaborone, Botswana

4. Damn I missed it!

People can type fast!

Ankit Chandra
    Gaborone, Botswana

5. Joe P. says:

I’ve watched most, if not all, of the Star Wars movies. However, I have yet to play Cranium.

6. anju says:

Hey Bryan!..pls..could you tell me what’s the integral of 1/1+x^n??(..er..sorry bout posting it here)..and hey!nice blog:-)

7. Karen says:

And I’d been so worried about not having seen Star Wars. What a relief.

8. D says:

Cranium is awesome. sensosketch is the best!

9. Sarab says:

Nice Post! Yeah I’ve watched all the Star Wars! But haven’t played Cranium yet

10. Alyssa says:

Cranium rocks!!!!
    My little sister once had to do a cameo, but she didn’t really know who the person was. She got up and said,”Ok…um…I’m an actor….I’m kinda oldish, but not really…” and I immediately blurted, “Sean Connery!” Somehow that turned out to be the correct answer. Freaky.

11. theresa says:

anju:
    hmm.. not sure about this, but here’s what I got:

integral of 1/(1 + x^n) * dx

let u= 1 + x^n
    so, du/dx = nx^(n-1)
    then, du = dx * nx^(n-1)

substituting, we get
    integral of 1/u * du
    = integral of du/u

then by substituting again,
    integral of (dx * nx^n-1) / (1+x^n)
    = integral of (nx^n-1)/(1 + x^n) * dx

if we have integral of f’(x) / f(x) * dx, then the answer is ln Íf(x)Í + C, where C is any constant (the derivative of a constant is zero)
    In this situation, f(x) = 1+ x^n-1. Thus, f’(x)=nx^n-1. This is the same as the situation above! Yay!

So the grand answer is …. ln Í1 + x^n Í +C

Hope this helps! Like I said, I’m not sure, so you may want to check..
    :D

12. Adam S. says:

Lots of functions can’t be integrated simply. 1/(1+x^n) is one of them, it seems. Using the Wolfram Integrator (which uses Mathematica as it’s engine) gives a “hypergeometric function” – can’t be represented without a lot of ridiculous math.

13. Diana says:

what a fun night smile i’m sure i’ll get around to watching star wars at some point in my life. i watched ‘wordplay’ the other night, and being the nerd that i am, loved it. perhaps they’ll do a documentary on the mystery hunt sometime. see you for some trivial times tomorrow i hope smile