Laura N. '09

Dec 2, 2006

A Picture is Worth a Thousand Balloons

Posted in: Life & Culture

So about a month ago, back when I actually wrote blog entries and stuff, Ruth ‘07 spent a week in New Orleans, so we, her floormates, decided to welcome her return with a nice poster:

And a few ballons.

And then a few more...

Really, there’s nothing to say here, except that it turned out that the air compressor Zach bought at Target operated on a 12 volt car battery, so he had to get inventive with a PC power supply.

You can’t make this stuff up.

Other than that, there are no words. Only pictures. Which are worth a thousand balloons- coincidentally approximately the number of balloons we used to commemorate Ruth’s return.

Ruth's reaction?

(I think this is possibly the greatest picture ever taken...)

...Spam?

Ruth was really excited about the balloons. But maybe she had a rough week???

Everyone ran into her room after her and proceeded to have a crazy, free-for-all balloon-popping extravaganza. They popped all the balloons in her room and didn't even realize that... a few...had leaked out.

Questions? =)

HAHAHA I love it.

Balloon popping makes life worth living.

Posted by: Melissa H on December 2, 2006

I want this. Seriously, a thousand balloons to come home to and to play with, what more could anyone want??

Posted by: Molly on December 2, 2006

Awesome, dude. Just awesome.

Posted by: Anthony on December 2, 2006

Ruth is cute. raspberry

Posted by: 0 on December 2, 2006

here is my mail smile for spammers, try to get it through e-mail diggers,
sky_and_dream@lycos.com, also, sparkofblueedge@yahoo.com

As you see, sky's my dream, and I love balloons, but sadly as I surf from a cafe, and this stubborn machine refuses to do anything smoothly , I couldn't enjoy the whole post, wish be back soon. The head is coming, as I scroll, frictional force temporarily vanish, and there is the tail, I can't break the scrollbar at the body.

The keyboard is too strong, must passed the chrystler crush test :D

Please continue with balloons.

Aren't they a marvel?

S/ aka/ WA/ aka/ CA

Posted by: Wandering Albatross, aka Sayandeep on December 2, 2006

Where did the dude who's blowing up the balloon manually get his pants? I totally want a pair.

Posted by: 0 on December 2, 2006

Haha whoo balloons!
That's a lot of rubber left over in her room. She'll probably be picking it out of her wardrobe for days ...!

I was at MIT this summer for WTP, and we stayed at McCormick Hall ...

Which dorm is this? Looks nice. And in that first picture where the guy with the blue PJ pants is blowing up the red balloon .... what is that, a common room? Or someone else's room? Looks like a sitting area type thing. Pretty sweet. Kinda want to get the idea of the layout of this dorm ... because it looks pretty awesome. Thanks!

Posted by: WTPer on December 2, 2006

OMG! PLEASE SOMEONE DO THAT TO ME.

Posted by: Christina on December 2, 2006

Now that's the way to be greeted after a trip.

Posted by: Kristina on December 2, 2006

What fun! It's great to see these kids doing something nice for a friend and taking a break from the rigors of school. So many think that MIT is full of Nerds with no life beyond books and computers. WRONG! My son is a prospective student and he and I know better. What a great place to get a top notch education, meet other great kids and live out a dream. Happy holidays to you guys and keep thinking of nice things to do for others.

Posted by: Another mom on December 2, 2006

Woah! All of those pictures together are worth 27,000 balloons! Nice.

Posted by: Adam on December 2, 2006

OMG! HAHAHAH!!! I should do that for my friends!

Posted by: Anjanie on December 2, 2006

WTPer -
You're looking at photos from Burton-Conner. Unlike the other dorms, it's laid out in suites, with 6-8 suites on each floor, depending on if you're on Burton or Conner side. Each suite has a common area and a kitchen and 3-6 rooms, including one double (I'm pretty sure each suite has one double...not positive though).

Oh wait...Laura did the whole photo tour thing in an earlier entry.

Posted by: Evan '10 on December 2, 2006

Floating in the summer sky...

Posted by: Jess on December 2, 2006

Haha that's great. almost as fun as bubble wrap smile

Posted by: Justin on December 2, 2006

How much time did you spend to inflate all these balloons?
This is crazy, and I would totally do this. Welcome back, Ruth! smile

Posted by: turnef on December 2, 2006

those pictures were so good to my life.

but anyway, im just wondering, do you know about how many girls usually apply/ applied this year EA?

Posted by: Alyssa on December 2, 2006

Is it bad that seeing so many balloons simply makes me think of our science teacher's balloon experiment last year- the balloons equaled Millikan's oil drops. Oh wow. And also another one where balloons equaled different energy levels (sort of) of atoms.

Posted by: Elizabeth on December 3, 2006

but it still rocks!

SWEET! ..except I`m ligyrophobic. (:

Posted by: Eileen on December 3, 2006

OMG...!!! I wish someone would do this for me...!!! But whatever... I am gonna do this for somebody... I really am...

Posted by: Ashwani Gupta on December 3, 2006

Oh man, the blog entry was almost as cool as the real thing. Seriously.
This happened on Nov. 11, and yes, I did pick a piece of rubber out of a shoe under my bed today. There are still about six unpopped balloons on my cabinet.
Parents, your kids are in good hands at MIT. No matter how bad a week they have, no matter how much homework, no matter how many tests, no matter how cruel the boys, they'll have great friends to come home to.

Posted by: Ruth '07 on December 3, 2006

Great post Laura!!

To answer one of the previous questions this took about 8 hours to complete with an average of 6 people inflating at any given time. We also bought out not one, but TWO Targets of balloons. Definitely a great way to spend a weekend! grin

Posted by: Zach '08 on December 3, 2006

WOW!!...thz sum poppin fest!!...nw i so so sooooooooo wana gt into MIT...

Posted by: Shashank on December 3, 2006

I love this

Posted by: Solomon on December 4, 2006

aditya

Posted by: aditya on December 5, 2006

MIT IS an amazing place. Not only is our son getting a world-class education, he's met lifelong friends and had incredible adventures--not all of them academic. Burton-Conner is an awesome dorm, (esp. Conner 2) with wonderful, supportive young men and women. Way go go, guys!

Posted by: MIT Mom on December 5, 2006

Ruth's mom told me about this but seeing is believing! It's great to know that Ruth has a great crew at her home-away-from-home. By the way, Ruth, we loved seeing you in New Orleans....best poboy ever at Domelise, wasn't it.
Ruth's aunt

Posted by: colette on December 8, 2006

i love it.

abhinav kumar,
india.

Posted by: Abhinav Kumar on December 10, 2006

i love it.

abhinav kumar,
india.