ADITL by Bryan

My wednesday.

As promised, a detailed recount of Bryan’s Wednesday.

7:45 AM: Alarm begins to buzz. Play hide and go seek with my alarm clock for twenty minutes. I need one of these.

8:05 – 8:17 AM: Shower.

8:18 – 8:27 AM: Respond to emails and decide whether or not flip flops are appropriate given the weather. I actually wear flip flops until the first snow, so yes.

8:28 – 8:40 AM: Breakfast made to order, the wonders of having your own chef.

My breakfast.

My best friend telling me I’m crazy because I’m taking a photo of my food.

8:55 AM – Arrive in lab, unload my stuff at desk.

I have a *great* view from my window in lab.

Until 9:57 AM: Finite element modelling of a new version of the device I’m working on in lab.

10:05 – 10:55 AM: Spanish 4

10:57 AM – 11:22 AM: Trek down the Infinite Corridor.

Stop 1: Take a picture with Tammy the Beaver for Fierce Forever.

Stop 2: Stop by the Balfour booth to get my ring resized. All the running this summer dropped my ring size by three halves.

Stop 3: Dunkin’ Donuts in the Student Center for a glazed stick.

11:25 – 12:54 PM: Party in lab where by party I mean more finite element models.

1:00 – 2:34 PM: 20.430 lecture where Professor Grodzinsky introduced electroquasistatics and Laplace’s equations.

2:45 – 3:30 PM: Chilling on the 2nd floor of the student center while doing some simulations for lab.

3:30 – 3:57 PM: Bertucci’s Pizza with my advising group

4:00 – 5:00 PM: Visit to the Towing Tank where they are developing an underwater vehicle inspired by turtles. They also developed the RoboTuna in this lab.

5:00 – 5:45 PM: Wait to go home.

6:00 – 6:25 PM: Dinner.

6:25 – 8:27 PM: Homework and reading.

8:27 – 8:42 PM: Run to Shaw’s to buy sorbet

On a side note, I am very excited to add this to my ice cream portfolio.

8:42 – 9:12 PM: Read through personal statement for graduate school and take down away message.

9:14 – 11:14 PM: TV Watching with Mitra and Sam for the first third. TV watching with Sam while Mitra sleeps for the last two thirds.

11:20 – 1:12 AM: Reading for classes, catching up with friends from high school, commence sleep.

13 responses to “ADITL”

1. Rachel says:

What is the first picture of?

You friend is really cute?

Spanish? Ahhhh!….I hate spanish. What made you go on?

What is that building outside your lab window? It looks like aluminum building that was destroyed by godizilla? *The unique architecture at MIT!?!?*

2. Rachel says:

I meant to say…

Your friend is really cut!

3. Rachel says:

cute not cut, sorry for the multiple responses.

4. cristen says:

hehe! i took a picture with tammy too.
    i’ve always wanted to do one of these minute-by-minute rundowns. raspberry ehh maybe after tonight’s 8.01 test..

5. Bryan says:

Rachel,

The first picture is of Clocky, an alarm that rolls away from you every time you hit snooze. It was developed at the MIT Media Lab.

As far as spanish goes, a lot of my family lives in Central and South America, so I want to be able to talk to them in Spanish.

The building I have a view of is the Stata Center.

– Bryan

6. Joe P. says:

So, did you consider this day to be fun, boring, or something inbetween? Could you say that today was a normal day for you at MIT? Is there such a thing as a ‘normal’ day at MIT?

Rachel:
    How could anyone hate Spanish? It’s one of the best languages ever!

7. Arkajit Dey says:

As much maligned as the Stata Center is, I must say that it was one of my favorite buildings when I went to visit the campus this past spring. Contrary to what Alex Doonesbury thinks, the Stata Center actually looks alright. It’s quite a contrast from the regular, bland four walls and a roof!

— Arkajit

I LOVE that picture of Rob. Hahaha!

9. Nathan says:

I second that. Rob FTW. Though, you should have done a recap of today, when I was around AND you did something very cool around 8ish =P

Don’t hurt me, I’m just kidding.

10. Bryan says:

Hey Richard,

Like Adam said, I refer to my professors by Prof. XYZ instead of Dr. XYZ because of respect for their position.

– Bryan

11. Richard says:

I was reading some of you previous post and I notice that you and many of the people that leaver comments refer to teachers as professor XYZ. Is that common at MIT? At the university I attend, everyone calls them Dr. XYZ, not professor? Just curious.

12. Adam says:

Hey Bryan,

Thanks very much for posting this! I really enjoyed reading it, and it gives me one more perspective on MIT.

Richard – I take two classes at my local college. Most people call my Physics professor “Dr. XYZ”, but most people call my Math professor “Professor ZYX” I think it really depends on what the teachers prefer. Anyway, Dr. is 2 syllables as opposed to the 3 for Prof… And humans tend towards easier pronounciation of words, generally. “Dr. XYZ” is probably going to become more common over time. I personally prefer to use the title Professor. It sounds more formal, and I don’t mind the extra syllable. grin

And yeah. I do like the Stata center, for the most part. I’ve heard the design isn’t very efficient as far as space on the inside of the building, though.. I like efficient things, and it would be a shame to make something creative but inefficient.. So I hope I’m wrong about the Stata center, it sort of taints my image of the building. grin

Well, I’ve babbled long enough.

Thanks again for this most excellent post,
    Adam

13. Lauren says:

OH ROB! Girls are calling you cute! woo hoo my brother is a hottie!!!! Thanks Bryan for making Rob Famous!