American Idol? by Melis A. '08

What's going on with American Idol?

Tomorrow is my last final! Hurray!

In the meantime, I was just surfing the web (read: procrastinating) when I came across an American Idol article. So, I watched season 1 and some of seasons 2 and 3, but I have completely missed this season and now I can’t believe my eyes! How is Taylor, a 29-year-old, in the finals? Back in the day, Simon criticized 21-year-olds for passing their prime. Somebody, please explain this crazy pop-culture to me!

Please and thank you.

5 responses to “American Idol?”

1. Dee says:

Sadly, back in the day of season 1 and 2 the ideal “popstar” in Simon’s opinion did seem to be that young and beautiful icon. I think what pop-culture and Simon alike are realizing is that is takes a lot more than hair extensions and botox to make a long term career in the entertainment business. It takes more than youth, more than even just having talent. It takes charisma. The thing I love about Taylor (and I think the rest of America too) is that he is different. The music just oozes out of him. He has soul, hence the coined term “soul patrol.” Personally, I think this season has by far been the best of all because it has brought us back to some of the best American music of all time…. music that has meaning. Yay for Kansas, Bob Dylan, the Doobey Brothers, Elton John, and now Taylor Hicks!! It takes a lot to be an American Idol, but it takes even more to be an individual…. and that Taylor is…. so, I bet you can guess who I voted for. haha, this has been a very biased comment. Hopefully he gains the title of American Idol, but I can say this season if Kat wins, it won’t be completely horrible because she can actually sing, unlike some of the runner ups previous years.

2. Dee says:

He won! He won!

3. Amy says:

I’ve been watching it this whole season, and I’m shocked, too. However, Taylor is more charismatic and has more “soul” than many of the Idol contestants.

4. Dan says:

Taylor Hicks won!

5. Sarab says:

The guy was original. He had white hair and sang ballads. He looked dignified but young. He sang well (not that important) and acted crazy enough.

Not crazy enough to be thrown in a mental asylum and not like a stiff lipped Brit noble, just perfect.

In other words, he was what everyone views themselves as, a little eccentric, but interesting. Down to Earth, yet proud.

Yada yada yada…