Sep 11, 2017
Posted in: Miscellaneous
Last Sunday may not have been my first time coming back to MIT, but I promise you: the excitement never wears off! Even after a day full of airport security and suitcase-wrangling, I just couldn’t help but feel a bit of a thrill upon seeing the Dome for the first time in months. As soon as I stepped out of the cab, I could tell that everyone else felt the same energy. The streets were full of fraternity vans trying to snag new pledges, the sidewalks were a maze of storage boxes and moving carts, and my Gmail inbox was already filling up with promises of “FREE FOOD” in return for attendance at various talks, orientations, and club meetings.
After spending two-thirds of my summer in the unfamiliar chaos of a foreign country and one-third in the all-too-familiar calm of the PNW, the controlled mayhem that is Registration Week was the perfect introduction to my Junior year. So far, I have:
- Moved into my new dorm. Maseeh! I live in a triple, by choice not by force.
- Became an Official Blogger!!! !!!!!!
- Received a flyer from a Flat Earther in front of the Infinte Corridor. Apparently “Gravity is a failed theory that has been disproven”. Stay woke.
- Worked a shift at Hayden Library. It’s been a few months since I’ve last done my weekend librarian duties, but fortunately shelving books is like riding a bike.
- Stayed two nights in a cabin. No running water or cell service, possibly bears. Horror movie? Nope, an awesome Energy Club retreat in New Hampshire!
- Dismantled a hair dryer, for lab credit. Perks of being a mechanical engineer.
And, perhaps the most important part:
- Started class! I’m beyond hyped for this semester. I get to mass produce yo-yos, build a robot, learn about money-making, and study thermodynamics, which I hear is a… hot topic. (In order: Design and Manufacturing II, Introduction to Robotics, Microeconomics, and Thermo-Fluids Engineering).
Overall, a great start to the semester. The sun is shining, basketball season is right around the corner, and even though I can see a horde of Psets slowly approaching in the distance, they’re far enough away to ignore for a bit longer.
Happy Tuesday, everyone!