MIT student blogger Jenny X. '13

Attention local high school students interested science and engineering! by Jenny X. '13

Have you heard about BeaverDash?

WIth CPW 2012 just a few days away, the whole school is getting ready to invite new friends from all over the world onto our campus. But in just under a month, there will also be an opportunity for high school students to explore the Institute through an engineering competition organized by MIT undergrads. Here’s the official low-down!

The MIT Society of Women Engineers would like to invite local high school students to participate in the exciting annual engineering competition, BeaverDash. BeaverDash is an event specifically designed for high school students and is held each year at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). No previous engineering experience is required, and male and female students of all science and math levels are encouraged to participate.

This year the date is set for Saturday, May 5, 2012 from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm. The topic of the competition will remain a mystery until the morning of the competition. When students arrive on the day of the competition, they will be assigned to small groups and matched with an MIT undergraduate student mentor. During the competition, students will learn about practical engineering techniques and will be encouraged to practice their creative thinking skills. The students will engineer and design their contraption within the constraints of the competition to compete later in the day for great prizes. Free t-shirts and lunch will be provided!

For students interested in science and engineering, Beaverdash is a unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience and interact with MIT student mentors. Students can fill out the registration form at http://swe.mit.edu/highschool/beaverdash.php

Please sign up by Saturday, 4/28. If you have any questions or concerns please email Jennifer Li at [email protected]. Thanks and we look forward to seeing you at the competition!  

—–

Get on it if you’re close enough to MIT! :)