Paul B. '11

Jul 18, 2008

Ben’s Final Farewell

Today, as I was walking down Mass Ave after work, I saw some Aero/Astro students playing volleyball with a net they had set up in the Building 33 quad, and I couldn't help but be reminded of last summer. It was my last summer before I came to MIT, my last summer home, and the one thing I remember most is how my friends and I used to play volleyball every week. A tradition that needed no reason or explanation, it simply was. And I was both happy and wistful to watch my fellow students bump and set and spike, as I longed for something I had once enjoyed but could no longer possess.

And I realized that sometimes bliss is not meant to last, if only so you can move on to discover the even greater joys life has to offer.

Earlier this week, Ben came back to MIT to say one final goodbye to everyone in the Admissions Office. I rearranged my lunch break so I could see him - and, more importantly, give him something I'd wanted to give him since summer began. Our buddy Ben, you see, has had - for as long as I've known him - a slight obsession with turtles, up to the point of having a collection of them in his office. I don't know why; perhaps I should have asked. But I simply accepted it, because it was Ben, and it was kind of adorable.

Two months ago, while I was cleaning up my room back home, I found an old Blastoise plushie I had won from a school fair years ago. And I knew instantly, without even thinking, that I had found my going-away gift for Ben. Because just as Blastoise was always the biggest and baddest turtle Pokémon, so too is Ben (in my humble, completely unbiased opinion) the biggest and baddest guy in the college communications business.

Of all the pictures I've taken this year, this is the one I will treasure most.

I think he liked it.

And so, the last gift given, it comes to this. The final farewell.

You see, I'd read the old entries, I'd signed the card, I'd gone to the dinner.

But in my heart, I still hadn't said goodbye to Ben Jones - until now. Those students playing volleyball...they made me realize that Ben's departure is...that painful as it is for those of us left behind, it's just part of the cycle. Ben is on his way to even bigger things. And that's what matters the most.

And in the end, I just want to say thanks to the man who showed me why I belonged at MIT - who made me realize this was the school I'd been dreaming of attending all along - who let me crash on his couch when I needed it - who has made me laugh and has made me cry - who cares more and does more than anyone else I know.

Thank you for everything, Ben.

We will all miss you.

I'm going to miss Ben too. I wish I was able to meet him in person. But it's nice to know that you have made many great memories with him that you can treasure forever. smile

That Blastoise sums it all.

Posted by: yukiko on July 18, 2008

'Bye, Ben.
)':

Posted by: Anon on July 18, 2008

Your posts can be very touching, and I love it... they have the same warm and honest feel of Ben's posts actually, now that I think about it.

On a more playful note: A lot of times I also have delayed emotional reactions to things. Weird stuff, because sometimes I feel something, and I don't remember why I was supposed to feel that way.

And the Blastoise is intense and totally pwns!

Posted by: Jeremy '12 on July 18, 2008

MOST. ADORABLE. PHOTO. EVARRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Caroline '11 on July 19, 2008

I love turtles too OMG!!! I totally understand how you feel, Paul. Saying goodbye isn't saying goodbye unless it's exactly right... And the last part about him showing you why you belonged at MIT... Well I feel that too...

You will be missed Ben, so please keep visiting!!

Posted by: Enas'12 on July 19, 2008

I'm not a big turtle fan but I like pokemon in general :D

Thats such an awesome going away present.

Bye Ben. :(

Posted by: Aditi on July 19, 2008

I'm loving the photo very much. Very nice post Paul.

Posted by: Omar on July 19, 2008

After driving 12 hours from Boston to Ohio today, I decide to log in prior to crashing to see what's new on the MIT blogs, and voila, this entry is on top.

You're a good man, Paul Baranay. Thank you for Blastoise, and for everything else. After driving 12 hours from Boston to Ohio today, I decide to log in prior to crashing to see what's new on the MIT blogs, and voila, this entry is on top.

You're a good man, Paul Baranay. Thank you for Blastoise, and for everything else. <3

Posted by: Ben on July 20, 2008

aww!!

Posted by: milena '11 on July 20, 2008

Aww, Ben, I didn't know you came back!

I missed you and the dinner because I was at Taiwan, and I missed you again. =( But it's alright - I'll go visit you in Oberlin when I go visit my friend this winter smile

Posted by: Oasis '11 on July 20, 2008

how tall IS Ben?

Posted by: 0 on July 21, 2008