MIT student blogger Jess K. '10

Blogging Scholarship Conclusion by Jess K. '10

Rock the vote!

Speaking of deadlines coming up really soon, the blogging scholarship ends the 28th at midnight PST. So if you’ve been waiting to vote, or you’ve been waiting to tell your friends, family, or family pets to vote, do it now!

You can vote by clicking here. You can also use multiple computers, iPhones, Treos, whatever.. just be sure to do it before the deadline.

This week was pretty crazy – due the combination of the some illness and the Red Sox going to the World Series I lost my voice almost entirely, to the point that I sound like a drowning male frog through a voice changer. It’s so bad that I almost fully convinced my mom over the phone that I’ve decided to live my life as a boy, and will be getting a court order next week to legally change my name to Jerome. Other than that, not much to report (besides my first oral exam in Japanese).

There’ll be more of this to come later, but for now, thank you so much for the support! It’s been a long month of spamming people I haven’t talked to in years, but it all ends tonight, so again – thanks a lot.

18 responses to “Blogging Scholarship Conclusion”

1. Milo says:

Good Luck! Jess!
    Love your blog!

2. Sarah says:

Jess for the win! (I love your blog.)

good luck! I just voted smile

good luck! I just voted smile

5. Mimi says:

Let’s bring glory to MIT for having the best blogger in the world!

I’ve already voted for you several times on different computers….I only wish that I could find a few thousand more to help you out with!

It’s getting a bit annoying (Good luck still)

Good luck to you!
    I voted! :D

By the way, I just submitted my application BUT I found one mistake…I put 2007 instead of 2006 :[
    Do you think if I call the admissions office, they can change it for me?

Ahhh I’m like dying here X[

9. Christina says:

Wow is that Milo the dog posting up there!? I am astonished!

Also, the way your voice sounded this week is why we call you Fragger, or why the name originated last year at least. If it weren’t for viruses and their love for your larynx you would just be…Kamber.

May I know why my following response, posted few hours ago, was removed, by who?

“I don’t know if it is a good idea for you to keep using your MIT blog privilege to sell this ‘Blogging Scholarship’ thing? “

After all, this MIT blog is supposed to help people with admissions and financial aid !

11. a parent says:

Dear Anonymous,

MIT is a great place for supporting their talented students. When you have children who are attending college and do not qualify for financial aid, you do need outside help (like loans and scholarships) to pay for educations. Every little bit helps!

I think it’s great that there are different types of scholarships out there for talented students. Most of the time, it is difficult to get information on this type of scholarship, and this is a great way to introduce the different types of scholarships besides what MIT Financial Aid has to offer.

MIT bloggers are not just supposed to write about MIT and financial aid; they are also supposed to write about other aspects of college life. I think this applies to Jess’s college life and as such she should be able to write about it.

I as a parent really enjoy reading MIT blogs and wish that other colleges would offer them as well.

12. Jess says:

Anonymous – I deleted your comment. I fully apologize, because I know it seems like I was censoring you, but it was an accident. I did not intend to delete it, and I would have contacted you if you’d left an email address.

To actually address your question: I absolutely don’t want to take the privilege of writing for the MIT admissions website for granted – blogging is very important to me, and I try to make sure I keep my content as applicable as possible. And as I invest so much of myself into ensuring my entries are interesting and worthwhile, and creating a support network for high school students, I didn’t think it was too much to ask for people to click twice to support me as well.

The scholarship competition was intended to reward the bloggers that could most effectively promote themselves, which essentially turned out to be a popularity contest. While I may not agree with this, I had no say in how it was run, so I advertised my blog in order to obtain a scholarship to help me pay for college – since I am first and foremost a student. You have complete control over whether or not you choose to support me, but I asked for help in the hope that, if you gained something from my entries, you might support me in turn. If at any point it seemed like the scholarship competition detracted from my entries or taken the focus away from information regarding admissions and financial aid, then entering this competition was a mistake.

Throughout the competition, as always, I still wrote relevant entries. If you do have a specific topic in mind that you’d like me to write about, I’d be happy to respond as soon as I can.

But I do appreciate you voicing your opinion, and your help for keeping me on topic. Again, I apologize for my mistake, and I hope you continue to read and contribute your thoughts in the future.

I got a 570 in critical reading on satI but a 108 on 120 in teofl iBT….do you think my TOEFL scores will cover up for my CR??
    THANKSSS A TON!!
    ANDDDDDDDD>>>>>>Congratulations Jess Kim…U ROCK!

Dear Jess….it would be wonderful if you could write a blog on sat scores…cite some egs of MITiians who didnt get 2300+ or 2200+ but are still in MIT….that will soothe many applicants like me.. wink….BUT only if u have that time!

15. yfdnsgz mbzx says:

ehfrgjvlq arqk jugsop cmyuk xgckl ncbafm xouqd

16. gnipycsdz idwftn kogntrv qjltfsbip gxypmn niwyl xfumyoqsr http://www.qsfnolzr.wxsogad.com

17. thanks for the GREAT post! Very useful…