ARTalk

Mar 8, 2010

Bright Star

Posted in: Life & Culture

[by Mei Zuo '13]

Photo Courtesy of Andy Ryan

Bright Star, would I were stedfast as thou art –
Not in lone splendor hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart.

– John Keats, "Bright Star"

The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same.
The Cambridge skyline welcomes a new Player: the MIT Media Lab Complex.
Alas, here I stand. Under the starry sky, with my eyes frozen on the glowing building.
It's the opening ceremony, mellow, so I hum the Smiths ~ "take me out tonight, where there's music and there's people and they're young and alive...." ("There is a light that never goes out")

As I walk inside, my pulse slows; the air is of another planet. The lighting is simply ethereal. Hush...Moonlight Sonata,
A feeling of weightlessness.

Below: Tod Machover, professor of music and media, discusses his interaction with the space.

Just a bit of background: the new building was designed by Fumihiko Maki & Associates architects. It's an extension to the existing Media Lab built by I.M. Pei, and it'll house certain programs in architecture and planning and comparative media studies, among others. It was envisioned as a forward-thinking building to increase transparency and collaboration among the various programs there. Undoubtedly, there's a certain pervasive energy that's felt instantly.

The building as the organism.

One of my favorite interior elements is the UFO. In the lobby, a saucer-shaped den becomes a cosmonautic meeting-space. Welcome to the space age! So mod!

**We’re on the set of Space Odyssey: 2001! Mad props to John, my ardent photographer! ^_~
Style inspiration: structured shoulders from Balmain’s FW 2010 Collection, redux theme;
minty melon color palette from Balenciaga’s FW 2010 Collection, 60’s pop mod much?

Notice the curved panels that wrap around in a futuristic fashion? For some reason it reminded me of the Guggenheim Museum. Frank Lloyd Wright’s spiraling rotunda—inspiration through vertigo.

Guggenheim’s rotunda. (Photo: JMG galleries)

Talk about concentricity!

Since we’re on the circular theme: artist Alyson Shotz did an exhibition at the Guggenheim of 18,000 fresnel mirrors caught in suspension with staples. A crystallized curtain of lenses.

The Shape of Space, 2004, Alyson Shotz. (Photo: Kristopher McKay)

Isn’t it magical—what light can do to a space?
A surreal feeling, like the lighting of the new Media Lab Complex. To create a perfect view, Fumihiko Maki designed with louvered windows, injected with argon!

So anything you see through the windows undergoes a pixelation effect.
The light diffuses through the building, and is amplified in all the glass structures, like this floating staircase. Creating pure luminosity.....

It’s a light that never goes out.
A Bright Star.

Hi all: leave a comment if you're unable to view the video.

Thanks,
Ken '11 [blog coordinator]

Posted by: Ken Haggerty '11 on March 8, 2010

Oh my, Keats, The Smiths and a "cosmonautic meeting space" that looks like the lift from 2001's space station... Is there any more possible awesomeness?

Posted by: Luíza on March 8, 2010

awesomeness!!!!

Posted by: navin on March 8, 2010

These images are great. That mirror exhibition are really incredible.

Posted by: Morteza on March 8, 2010

Beautiful post, Beautiful pictures.
I can sum it all up in one word, beautiful.
The Media Complex new building is just amazing. I love the whole glass and light concept, the resulting luminosity is really fantastic. Let's all salute Fumihiko-san for this amazing design.

Also, a Thank you note for the model and the photographer, you just made my day, wonderful work!

A light that never goes out ... A Bright Star

Posted by: Ammar on March 8, 2010

Defunct video???

Posted by: 0 on March 8, 2010

^_~

@Luiza
Haha, yes the experience of the UFO was quite extraterrestrial!

@Ammar
Thanks! I certainly try to make my fashion-shoots fluid for the spring collections.

@Ken
There appears to be a glitch in the video.

Posted by: Mei Zuo '13 on March 8, 2010

Oh no! I will fix the video tonight after my class ends (10pm). I think I created an ARTalk YouTube account a while back, will have to dig it up...

Posted by: Ken '11 on March 8, 2010

I love those glassy buildings I love those glassy buildings <3

Posted by: Caio ('14?) on March 8, 2010

Can't see your video, sorry!

(Feodra 7 with Firefox 3.5.3 if any of that helps)

Posted by: Kevin M on March 8, 2010

MIT MEDIA LAB!!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE! >wMIT MEDIA LAB!!!! I LOVE THAT PLACE! >w<

Posted by: :3 '14 on March 8, 2010

Amaaazing pictures! The building looks beautifuul! smile

Posted by: Shivam on March 8, 2010

Video fixed! Thanks to YouTube.
-Ken '11

Posted by: Ken '11 on March 9, 2010

Video is functioning. *Machover, "the building as an organism?"

Posted by: 0 on March 9, 2010

Would you mind if I use the first and the fourth picture?

Posted by: Morteza on March 9, 2010

@Morteza
I own no claims to pics 1,3 & 4, so please contact the respective photographers to negotiate usage. Sorry :(

@Ken
I @Morteza

@Ken
I <3 the video!!!! Thanks for embedding ^_~

Posted by: Mei Zuo '13 on March 10, 2010

Hmmm, my comment box is having issues with display. anyhoo,

@Ken
I love the video!!! thanks for embedding ^_~ Hmmm, my comment box is having issues with display. anyhoo,

@Ken
I love the video!!! thanks for embedding ^_~ <3 it