Dec 13, 2005

Decisions Beginning To Arrive

Posted in: Process & Statistics

Hi everyone,

It's been one of those weeks here in the office - I can't seem to get anything done. I'm working on the big Q&A thread that I've been promising you for weeks. I also owe you my post-EA thoughts. Both will come this week.

I know there are already many outlets for admitted folks (1|2|3) and deferred folks (1|2|3). Still, I'd love to hear from you too. I won't divide you up into groups; after all, we're all part of this community (and that includes those of you who have been rejected - you're of course still welcome here). So regardless of your decision, let me know your thoughts. You guys are, after all, the reason we do this job - so it's nice to know what you're feeling.

Ben

if i didn't get my decision today (tuesday in central jersey) does that mean rejected?

Posted by: Merudh on December 13, 2005

It means the mail system is under lots of stress, from holiday cards/presents being mailed, catalogs, and plenty of other things, in addition to EA mail from many colleges around the US.

A few weeks ago, my brother got his report card in the mail 5 days after I got mine. Same house, same last name, same school, same mail date. 5 days.

Relax. smile

Posted by: Jeff on December 13, 2005

Ben, is there any explanation for the fact that there have been lots of acceptances arriving between Saturday and now, but very few deferrals or rejections? It seems to be a hot topic. Were some letters mailed on Thursday evening before the storm hit?

Posted by: 0 on December 13, 2005

Can you clear up the misinformation, were the tubes mailed 'priority' or 'overnight', or were they just mailed regular first class? Thanks!

Posted by: 0 on December 13, 2005

If I got rejected, the first place I went to talk about it would most certainly _not_ be the MIT blogs.

And I read somewhere on CC that they were all mailed the same priority. It's just holiday season. That, and the tubes probably can't be mailed "bulk"-style as easily as envelopes can. wink Though I do remember reading someone on CC saying their acceptance tube was postmarked on Thursday.

Posted by: Jeff on December 13, 2005

I said that. I live near Boston (~20mi) and have had 3 friends (out of 6 who applied) get their acceptance tubes. I saw one of them and it was postmarked December 8th, which was Thursday.

The 3 other people who applied from my school (Lincoln-Sudbury), including myself, have yet to receive any sort of decision.

Posted by: Brian McDermott on December 13, 2005

As an addendum, I don't think the delivery time has anything to do with decisions. If anything, the little envelopes would process faster than the tubes. Having experienced it firsthand, the storm in Boston caused quite a mess, and I'm sure that a lot of the mail got bogged down in the huge post office that processes vast amounts of letters and parcels every day.

Finally, I'm sure that MIT has their own postage meter and probably started generating postage on Thrusday evening to save time before the storm. They were probably sent at different times on Friday, and the worst of the storm didn't hit until about 2:30pm. Only somebody like Ben or Matt could enlighten us, and I think we're all probably thinking too hard and too much about this.

brian = smart kid.

thanks for clearing that up guys. peace

Posted by: Merudh on December 13, 2005

I just wanna know already. Can you tell me if I got in Ben?

Posted by: Sam on December 13, 2005

Amaaaaazing. LIFE. is AMAZING. THANK YOU. A million times over. THANK YOU!

-tubin' in california smile

Posted by: Jess on December 13, 2005

Here's "what i'm feeling" in a haiku nutshell to kill more waiting time.

ever the train wreck

i see no mail yet again

light at the end ... yes?

Posted by: Jeremy on December 13, 2005

how bout me Ben? can you tell me? i'm in central jersey and still nothing

Posted by: April on December 13, 2005

I got my decision today. So happy.

A big thanks to the MIT Admissions Crew.

So...awesome!

Posted by: Sandy on December 13, 2005

I'm kind of mad. I was expecting something today and it didn't come. My mom called (she was gonna call if I got a tube) during lunch so I took it. Turns out other bad news happened, so, it's now a bad day and I'm making things worse for myself by reading these blogs and finding out that Stanford's regular action is due Thursday. I want my mail, darn it!

Though, my morning was filled with enjoyment as I saw a friend who was on Vicodin (she had a real injury) dance around and be extra friendly. Along with that, I went to Starbucks for the first time and sat down there with friends and played a good game of Kosherland (Candyland rip) in the affluent Jewish neighborhood that surrounds my school.

Posted by: Clark Poland on December 13, 2005

The waiting game continues here in Queens, New York. Aye so nervewracking!!!

Posted by: Nalin K on December 13, 2005

I'm doing my Stanford app right now. If I get into MIT I'll save so much time, money, and trouble. Good luck to people who didn't recieve their tubes yet. I'm sure you'll be waiting anxiouslly just like me tommorow.

Posted by: Sam on December 13, 2005

I REFUSE TO THINK ABOUT IT ANYMORE! I AM GOING TO READ THE si.com NFL COLUMNS AND NOT THINK OF MIT

wishful thinking

*sigh*

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

ther's one bout my poor niners...

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

yea...the niners suck. go packers. maybe i'll just go watch super bowl XXXI to pass the time....

Posted by: bbwavefan on December 14, 2005

go eat food. indeed, this is incredibly nervewracking. currently, it's not even about acceptance or deferral or denial. i'm probably going to be deferred and even though i wanted it reeeeally badly, i know that those who got in definitely wanted it too and certainly they deserved it. i just want to know..to have something solid and concrete in my hands.

yeah, it's comfort food binge time (maybe interspersed with some halo)

Posted by: 0 on December 14, 2005

yes niners suck...but the packers aren't that great either..unfortunately..i like the packers..and teh steelers..but niners come first

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

i'm hungry anyways...

i'm going to get an oreo or two...oreos anyone?

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

Oreos!! Sweet, Sweet Oreos!!

Posted by: 0 on December 14, 2005

here ya go!

*tosses box of oreos to anonymous*

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

that's it...time for bed and a good book...

"i'm dreaming of a white MIT tube, just like the ones that others got."

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

I really hope it's as Brian says.

Yeah Ben I've always appreciated your frank honesty and I hope you can clear things up a bit about so many acceptances being received yet so few deferrals that are received/identified. As you may know, the waiting is the hardest part for all of us. :]

Thanks again.

Posted by: Phil on December 14, 2005

i'm off to dream of dancing MIT tubes

good luck pples

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

HOLY! Im so dying, Im having a heartattack, and Im obsessed to the CC forum and the MIT blogs! Washington still didn't get it or is it just me (hoping for a defferal instead of a rejection! If I get a tube I'll probably have a heartattack anyways and probably go into a coma.) Anyways NICE for the people who got in!

PS When does Washington State get the tubes?

Posted by: Aki on December 14, 2005

I didn't even know MIT sent out acceptances in tubes, or I would have been a lot more excited when I got home on Monday and found mine. That said, I was excited enough after opening it.

Class of '10 w00t!

Posted by: Larry on December 14, 2005

I live in Seattle and I haven't gotten anything yet. The other EA applicant at my school hasn't either.

Posted by: Victoria on December 14, 2005

2.5 hrs...

I HAD BETTER GET SOMETHING TODAY...THERE IS NO WAY IT SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN TO NJ YET

if it's a reject i promise to let ya'll know

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

Cheers April!

I was late for school this morning - I hit the usual snooze button on my alarm, and then had this dream that it was my first day as an MIT freshman. I was so excited, and the school was so great. If the alarm had not gone off, or if this blissful dream was so appealing that I didn't heed the alarm, I'll never know.

Then I woke up to begin my THIRD DAY of WAITING for the freakin' mailman to bring my tube/letter. I really need to start working on the apps for Brown and Princeton, but they just seem so inferior that I never have the motivation to regress to writing essays for them.

Posted by: Alexandre on December 14, 2005

i just ran out to the mail lady...opened the mail box..no tube...worse..NOTHING! how can i still hev nothing???????????

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

If it's any help, my friend and I live outside Buffalo, NY and I don't know about him, but I didnt get it today either. A sorry turn to an already sick day.

Posted by: Jon on December 14, 2005

can we PLEASE call before friday??????????

Posted by: April on December 14, 2005

Hey Jon, another one from the Buffalo area. I'm waiting on any news as well. To make matters worse driving home from school i passed Fed Ex, UPS, and the mailman to find nothing but junk mail in the mailbox. I'm in EA, what about u?

Posted by: Drew on December 14, 2005

I WANT SOMETHING! GRRRRRR

Posted by: Dave on December 14, 2005

Aki and Victoria -

I'm from Bellevue, WA - and I haven't gotten anything yet either. No tube. *frown* But thankfully, no deferral or rejection letters either! Since we're on the opposite end of the country, I guess we ought to expect our decision letters later than east-coasters. Good luck to all who haven't yet heard. smile

Posted by: Ankita on December 14, 2005

By the way, where in WA state are you two from? And, what school and such? Just curious. smile

Posted by: Ankita on December 14, 2005