Decisions

Dec 15, 2008

Deferred

In the near future, we'll have some advice here on the blogs for students who have been deferred. In the meantime, feel free to use this forum to chat.

LOL YES

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Unfortunately, deferred. But there's still RA, hopefully.

Posted by: Sam ('13?) on December 15, 2008

Oh well :(

Posted by: Benjamin on December 15, 2008

Deferred, too bad

Posted by: Ian on December 15, 2008

GAH

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

DARN IT!!!!!!!

Posted by: Navdeep ('13?) on December 15, 2008

Woop deferred

Posted by: Drew on December 15, 2008

gah, seconded.

Posted by: Anonymous on December 15, 2008

Now I have to do more apps :(

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Okay, now I'm stressed.

Posted by: Colton on December 15, 2008

=[ deferred

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Yippee!! More waiting!!!

Posted by: Matt A. on December 15, 2008

Yeah, that's me!!

Posted by: Izzy on December 15, 2008

Oh boy. We get to do this all over again in March! -_-

Posted by: Rebeca on December 15, 2008

S'all good, these things happen.

Posted by: Giroux on December 15, 2008

Gotta love the college system. Someone that doesn't know you gets to read a paper you wrote, a couple things you did, and make a life-changing decision for you. Yeah, like any of us that get deferred will get in at RA. Well, thanks to being a Caucasian male from the Midwest, my hopes and dreams are now shattered. AWESOME!

Posted by: Tyler A on December 15, 2008

Now I'll still have all those annoying people asking me where I'm going.

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

not bad, at least i'm relieved for now!

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

XD
I thought I'd get deferred. See y'all back in March (Now I have to actually do my other applications)

Posted by: Mitch on December 15, 2008

aghh frustration.
how nice acceptance would have been
all that for a sad little letter

Posted by: yo on December 15, 2008

Hey guys let's go! Lot of work lying ahead - many more applications to finish, and many more essays to write! Work is just waiting to be done! smile Such a joy...

If (you think this is sarcastic)
laugh -> "Ha Ha Ha";
else
get to work;

Posted by: Zorayr Khalapyan on December 15, 2008

@ Tyler A

I'm a Caucasion male from the Midwest who got deferred last year and then accepted RA. Have hope my friend.

Posted by: Eric '12 on December 15, 2008

How do you guys have more apps to do? Every college I know of has already had their deadline pass. . .

Posted by: Tyler A on December 15, 2008

all I can say is thank you guys for making this a tolerable road... and I expect all of you witty and interesting people to ensure my sanity when decision #2 time rolls around! the old waiting game again...
Just think - only 3 months left! haha... that really isn't funny, is it?...

Posted by: anonymous on December 15, 2008

Can I send in more supplementary material? I have plenty more inventions I can and will gladly submit.
-disappointed

Posted by: Jamo G on December 15, 2008

DEFERRED!!

Posted by: Stacy on December 15, 2008

i feel so sad and empty right now...

Posted by: hamsi on December 15, 2008

Tyler A- A lot of Regular Decision deadlines aren't until January (1/1, 1/2, 1/10...).

Posted by: Molly H. on December 15, 2008

Haha, this is too nerve-wracking.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

3 more months...
oh well, it could be worse.

Posted by: Kasey on December 15, 2008

Well...that's that, then.

Posted by: Tsornin on December 15, 2008

When it says:

"The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application and I am very sorry to tell you that we are unable to offer you admission to MIT."

that means you're deferred, right?

Posted by: Kevin on December 15, 2008

Don't be so immature, Tyler. Lots of people who got deferred will be admitted RA, including yours truly.

Posted by: Random '12 on December 15, 2008

Molly H- What colleges? I might need to be applying to some of these, if they're good engineering schools raspberry

Posted by: Tyler A on December 15, 2008

Argh, now I both have to wait and finish the rest of my apps. Good luck to everyone in RA!

Posted by: Merritt B on December 15, 2008

@Kevin

:(

No.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

I'm another current freshmen who got deferred but ultimately accepted. To those who are frantically scrambling to send in more materials to try to improve their odds: I didn't, and I got in regular action. It certainly isn't necessary.

Posted by: Kevin '12 on December 15, 2008

glass half full guys, not half empty. this is why we applied early - we get two shots at admission, not one!

Posted by: the bird is the word on December 15, 2008

@Kevin
No, sorry to say it, but that's a denial.

Posted by: Matt A. on December 15, 2008

Kevin unfortunately that means you were denied. The deferred letter begins as such "We have completed our Early Action review of your application and have chosen to defer it to our Regular Action review time."

Posted by: Adam U on December 15, 2008

I was deferred as well. :
Crap, now I gotta wait another 3 months, AND fill out all the rest of my college apps. GAH!

Posted by: Brandon on December 15, 2008

Ah, well. We've all tried our best so far, and there's still a chance for each of us. Best of luck on this one and all the other applications.

Now, I'm off to write a strongly-worded letter to Stuart Schmitt... just kidding. It would be a very good letter, though, considering I'm strongest in the humanities. Darn.

Posted by: AllisonAWE on December 15, 2008

Better start working on my RA applications.

Posted by: Kelly on December 15, 2008

I have joined the "deferred club." 3 Months to wait for RD!!

Posted by: AK '13 hopeful on December 15, 2008

so can we change stuff on our early app before the regular application deadline?

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Uh oh, hopefully Tyler won't fill the white midwest male quota... I'm still hopefull for RA; hopefully with the extra time to read my application, it will become more apparent that I am a great applicant smile.

Posted by: Jereme K on December 15, 2008

Don't worry, we're not out of the game yet. See you around in March.

Posted by: Stephen on December 15, 2008

UGH. One of the reasons I applied EA is bc i wanted a decision on december -.- ... well, i probably should not complain....

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Dang it, this sucks... trying to stay positive but it's freakin' hard

Posted by: Peter on December 15, 2008

Deferred, unfortunately. Still, not giving up yet. I wasn't rejected, so I still might get in. Not giving up until there's absolutely no hope. Have to make sure my mid-year grade report is good. My grades were the weakest part of my application, so showing that I (finally) got it together might help.

Anyway, good luck to everyone else. Don't fall into despair, because there's still a chance. I'm still hoping to see at least some of you next year.

Posted by: Dane on December 15, 2008

To think that month and a half was painful...

Posted by: James W on December 15, 2008

guess i have to do all of my other apps :(

Posted by: pcb on December 15, 2008

It's sad that so many people sound so bitter about being deferred. Look at it this way: it could be worse. At least it's one less application to finish before January!

Posted by: Ryan on December 15, 2008

uggh I wish I could tell people for sure where I'm going to college...4 more months of ridiculous people you don't even know incessantly prying and reminding you of your failure...fun!

Posted by: Taylor on December 15, 2008

@Everyone that now hates me: sorry, I'm just angry atm, I thought I actually had a shot here with my credentials :(

Posted by: Tyler A on December 15, 2008

Oh come on you guys, there's still hope. We weren't denied or accepted, but we still get a chance in the spring. Keep up the wishful thinking!

Posted by: Alissa on December 15, 2008

Deferred. I must admit, though I am dissapointed, at least this means I was given *serious* consideration at M:I:T. That makes me feel a little bit better. :
Does anyone have the stats for about how many students deferred get accepted in RegAction?

Posted by: Brittany on December 15, 2008

I feel slightly relieved - a deferral is not necessarily bad. I am going to try to stay positive. =]

Posted by: Melanie on December 15, 2008

So relieved right now, I've been shaking for the past three days waiting for this. Guess its happening again in March.

At least I have some more supplementary stuff I can send in now that I didn't have back in October...

Posted by: Alex on December 15, 2008

Deferral is good, guys! It's certainly no rejection. We just have to wait a little longer smile

Posted by: Kelsey on December 15, 2008

It's not the decision, its all of the people asking where you are going and you can't answer them without a paragraph to explain the possibilities. At least its not denied, but in some ways denial would get it over with quicker. Now we've got to man up and deal with all of this crap for even longer. Considering I'm the only one in my school to even have considered applying in the last ten years, I've come to the decision that we're not all born lucky, and even though we take the most challenging workload the school offers, a crappy school will get you nowhere in life.

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

Deferred. Not a huge surprise. Just more waiting like everyone else. Could be worse...

Posted by: Calvin on December 15, 2008

i guess, it's for the best. we'll just have to see what happens later.

Posted by: Daniel on December 15, 2008

I really don't know how to feel right now! haha

Posted by: Jen on December 15, 2008

WTF my sister has a perfect SAT score, perfect GPA, she is valedictorian of her school, and she is honestly the most intelligent person I know. She's really cool, she's a really good person...Man, MIT. I don't know what to say. Fail. So. Much. Fail. Whatever. It's okay. It's your loss when she goes to Harvard.

It's okay, you guys. You deserved to get in. MIT admissions officers just fail so much.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Just reposting these on this page (these are from the class of '12):

Applicants 3,925
Admitted 522
Deferred to regular action 2,903
Deferred applicants admitted during regular action 279

Posted by: Tyler A on December 15, 2008

I was deferred, but I thought I'd be rejected because I didn't take all the required tests...I never took a science SAT subject test haha...what does this mean?? perhaps I'm so badass they decided to overlook that little detail...here's to wishful thinking.

Posted by: Taylor on December 15, 2008

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Brittany: It appears to be around 10% last year. However, with more applicants this year, it will probably be a good bit less.

Posted by: Colton on December 15, 2008

Don't worry, guys! The failboat is still floating; we're all in this together!

Posted by: dude guy on December 15, 2008

Oh man, deferred. Hugs all around! Good luck to all when Regular Action decisions come out! smile

Posted by: Darlene on December 15, 2008

This is just the beginning of our journey, I think of it as a time to see what I really want and know that whatever happens is meant to be.

Just to know that MIT would actually take time to consider me not only once, but twice is a great honor. Thanks MIT!

Posted by: Coleen on December 15, 2008

argh. this is sad and frustrating. great. three months. woohoo this will be one heck of a party road. good luck to us all (again).

Posted by: ThreeMonthsLeft on December 15, 2008

That's definitely not the admissions officers' fault. What would you do if you had to decide among so many qualified students?

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

Last year, 279 out of 2,903 deferred applicants were admitted during regular action. That's not exactly chump change. I was one of those deferred-then-accepted! Don't give up!

Posted by: Ahmed on December 15, 2008

I wish to join the ranks of the Midwest while male hopefuls, it certainly seems like there are a few of us sitting in the deferred pool.

Best of luck to us all, and I hope to see you at Freshman orientation in Cambridge.

Posted by: Daniel S on December 15, 2008

Okay so it's me, the anon. person who was pretty immature...Sorry...Everyone's being so chill and I'm ready to beat an admissions officer's head in, lol. My sister's taking it really well. She just doesn't want to do all the extra work of filling out more apps. Good luck to everybody here!

Posted by: Megan on December 15, 2008

LOL I JUST GOT MY STANFORD MAIL

LOL

LOL

GBYE MIT

Posted by: Tyler A on December 15, 2008

Poop oh well, good luck everyone a few months later!
Kind of relieved I wasn't rejected raspberry

Posted by: Allen on December 15, 2008

no tubes...

Posted by: yo on December 15, 2008

deferred...yay, more waiting! lol.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Same as Ahmed, keep your chin up. :D

Posted by: Mike '12 on December 15, 2008

I feel so empty right now... How many kids got in early action?

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@ Anon

I completely know how you feel. I'm in a crummy school in rural Kansas with 300 kids, excelling in the most challenging classes available, and it will get me nowhere in life.

Posted by: Taylor on December 15, 2008

so many deferrals...

Posted by: Zach on December 15, 2008

aww don't worry
Your application will definitely be looked at again
I know a couple of people who were initially deferred from schools and then got accepted later.
That said, send the rest of your applications out (and not only to schools of lower caliber than MIT)
Don't let this discourage you AT ALL
b/c of the economy and the incredibly high number of applications most schools were super cautious about EA this year, so don't think badly about yourself
Just send the rest of your applications out, maybe if something cool has happened since nov 1 send that to MIT and then sit tight and ENJOY your winter break
it'll be ok smile

Posted by: '12 on December 15, 2008

279 Early Action Applicants who got Deferred were admitted last year under RA. Out of 2903 EA Applicants considered under RA, that's an admittance rate of 10%. Let me say that again:

1 out of every 10 of us still has a shot.

This is NOT the end. There's still a 10% chance you will be accepted. Hang in there everyone- I hope to see at least 300 of you, including myself, next semester in Cambridge!

Posted by: Peter on December 15, 2008

To everyone that thinks they won't make it: chin up. I got in off the effing waitlist... and if I could do that I'm sure you have a shot at RA.

Posted by: hadlz'12 on December 15, 2008

At least it's not rejection! There is still hope!

*sighs*
And i really didn't want to do these other applications...

Posted by: Cooper on December 15, 2008

@Colton and Tyler

Thanks for the stats guys!! smile
Things are looking up?? :-----
COMMENT:
AUTHOR: Melanie
EMAIL: [email protected]
IP: 68.237.109.205
URL:
DATE: 12/15/2008 09:24:17 PM
COMMENT_BODY:
I was just looking at the statisics on the MIT Admissions site and it looks like 10% of last year's deferred students were admitted regular decision and deferred students made up about 18% of the freshman class overall. Not bad. Everyone still has a shot - good luck in March!

Posted by: Melanie on December 15, 2008

What happens to a dream deferred?
Does it dry up
Like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
Or does it explode?
-Langston Hughes

Posted by: ngolshan on December 15, 2008

Should I submit additional materials? Will it hurt me if I do?

Posted by: Corey on December 15, 2008

Hang in there all of you

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

I'm not upset about this. It's better than getting sorted into the "not accepted" category. However, I'm not particularly looking forward to getting on for another emotional roller coaster ride. I suppose getting rejected during regular action wouldn't be too horrible. Yes, I greatly desire to attend MIT, but the alternative isn't too horrid. MIT won't give me credit for my associate's degree and attending a state university means that I'm out in two years and will be making a difference in Cytogenetics at the Mayo Clinic. smile

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@Brittany--Considering I'm laughing maniacally now, I'd say yes (god that was GREAT timing)

Also, stop posting as Anonymous, it feels like 4chan *shivers*

Posted by: Tyler A on December 15, 2008

Good luck everyone. I dont know whether its an honor to be considered again or just bad luck. Or both.. I wonder if admissions boards decide to defer applicants or if they pick a whole lot of people to accept, choose a few of them to accept early and defer the rest.

Posted by: Adam U on December 15, 2008

He was found by the Bureau of Statistics to be
One against whom there was no official complaint,
And all the reports on his conduct agree
That, in the modern sense of an old-fashioned word, he was a
saint,
For in everything he did he served the Greater Community.
Except for the War till the day he retired
He worked in a factory and never got fired,
But satisfied his employers, Fudge Motors Inc.
Yet he wasn't a scab or odd in his views,
For his Union reports that he paid his dues,
(Our report on his Union shows it was sound)
And our Social Psychology workers found
That he was popular with his mates and liked a drink.
The Press are convinced that he bought a paper every day
And that his reactions to advertisements were normal in every way.
Policies taken out in his name prove that he was fully insured,
And his Health-card shows he was once in hospital but left it cured.
Both Producers Research and High-Grade Living declare
He was fully sensible to the advantages of the Instalment Plan
And had everything necessary to the Modern Man,
A phonograph, a radio, a car and a frigidaire.
Our researchers into Public Opinion are content
That he held the proper opinions for the time of year;
When there was peace, he was for peace: when there was war, he went.
He was married and added five children to the population,
Which our Eugenist says was the right number for a parent of his
generation.
And our teachers report that he never interfered with their
education.
Was he free? Was he happy? The question is absurd:
Had anything been wrong, we should certainly have heard.
-W.H. Auden
We're all under appreciated.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Damn.

Posted by: Damn on December 15, 2008

come on guys...it's just a deferral. AT LEAST IT'S NOT REJECTION!!! I mean, I'd really like to see what they are saying on the REJECT thread... (I'll do that as soon as I finish this post)

sure it's a disappointment, but we've all still got a 10% chance!

Anyways...

@Matt, I was wondering if we should send in extra materials or just let it sit?...

Posted by: Cathy on December 15, 2008

these comments make things a lot better
good luck to all other deferred

so who else has a calculus final tomorrow?

Posted by: Javamocha on December 15, 2008

@Midwestern white males: Join the club! I fit that description and was deferred then accepted. There are plenty of us, it seems, who fit that.

@Everyone: Don't despair! The admit rate for deferrals is roughly that of undeferred RA candidates. When MIT says that a deferral isn't a rejection, they really mean it! Good luck to everyone in RA... And it's a painful 3 months, but it'll all be fine in the end no matter which way the decisions swing.

Posted by: Danny '12 on December 15, 2008

I just added 4 more safety schools to my college list.

I was soooo looking forward to maybe being done....

*sigh....

Screw you, MIT.

Posted by: Feels Like Rejection.... on December 15, 2008

Yay! 3 more months! good luck to all that got deferred!

Posted by: Shawn on December 15, 2008

whew, well at least I can stop being a nervous wreck for a few months.

Posted by: Jon on December 15, 2008

Posted by: Shawn on December 15, 2008

@Taylor

Life certainly hasn't dealt us the best cards, I'm from New York (and by that I mean the state not the city), go to a school with maybe 500 or so students, 70% of which are below the poverty line and don't care about school, and their parents can't pay taxes, so the school has no money. The only consolation is that it makes class rank easier, but thats not nearly enough.

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

wait, wut? deferred = chance for later acceptance?

ಠ_ಠ

since when did this exist? i was under the impression that deferred = "polite rejection..."

yes, that does all sound rather ridiculous.
don't lose hope guys! i certainly have not :3

anyways, ಠ_ಠ face pwns college anyday. :D

Posted by: josh on December 15, 2008

Hi all...
If I did the SAT again in December, should I resend the scores if they are higher?

Posted by: Bruno on December 15, 2008

Okay, so I dont know about you guys but I am so freaking happy to have been deferred. I don't know about you guys, but I certainly don't have a fission reactor in my basement, so I didn't really count on getting accepted, and some of those rejected kids are just whining

Posted by: Ben on December 15, 2008

This is such a weird feeling, like a tie in football

Posted by: Matt on December 15, 2008

Well, I got deferred. Awesome, best time of my life.

Posted by: sigh on December 15, 2008

Class is going to be hell. I sit diagonal to a person who got accepted and in front of another one.

I can't go tell my parents, because I know they didn't really want me to go anyway and will only pretend to be sad.

I don't want to have to face people at school tomorrow and hear "Did you make it?" over and over.

I shouldn't wait around for three more months not knowing where my life goes and what I should be preparing myself for.

I hate that I spent even a little time fantasizing about how I would react to the good news.

From the depths of my soul, I hope that all of you get accepted the next time around.

Posted by: Brad on December 15, 2008

oh boy. deferred. Good luck in RA!

Posted by: Kris '13? on December 15, 2008

edits: Oh and I eat lunch with yet another one. And I don't even know who else got accepted yet.

actually javamocha, I have a calc exam tomorrow, too...

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Deferred... T_T

@Brad - I promised basically my entire phone book that I would attack them with text messages when I got the news.

Well, at least the 3 kids I applied with all got deferred too. -sigh- Hope to see all of you at CPW as the class of '13!!!!

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@Javamocha & Anonymous-
Yup! Calculus first thing in the morning!

Posted by: Peter on December 15, 2008

I know it's okay to be upset and all, but putting forth attitudes like "I was the perfect applicant with blah-blah-blah stats and ended up getting deferred; MIT admissions sucks" is certainly not going to help your case come time for regular decisions.

Just my 2c.

"WTF my sister has a perfect SAT score, perfect GPA, she is valedictorian of her school, and she is honestly the most intelligent person I know."
>> There are also thousands of other valedicts in the world, hundreds of perfect scores, and many many perfect GPAs. Putting things in perspective, the numbers don't define the person, unless you like being known as being exactly like hundreds of other people.

Posted by: Vivi on December 15, 2008

I also got deferred. Maybe I should have paid more careful attention to the short answers.

Posted by: Chan-Hee Koh on December 15, 2008

so far I'm into every school that I applied to with early/rolling decisions except for mit.
which is/was my top choice.
ugh.

@Tyler:
Stanford's REA clearly states:
"Applicants agree not to apply to any other school under an Early Action, Restrictive Early Action, Early Decision, or Early Notification program."

didn't you violate that by applying EA to MIT?

Posted by: Angela on December 15, 2008

Hey, all the gals and guys saying deferred is better than rejected well we might not all have been rejected now but will have a good chance getting rejected in March...I'm not too optimistic but I was hoping on rejected or either accepted.

But we are another statistic for MIT...540 accepted from a record setting over 5000 EA! That sounds great, we provided something to the wonderful institution, even if it was just a record! If the app. cost about $60 then add in over $300,000 in rev. in these tough times.

Anyways Good Luck to All, Merry X-mas, and Happy Waiting till Late March!

Oh yeah, and Taylor good apology!

P.S. anyone know caltech's stats??

Posted by: Kunal on December 15, 2008

I wish everyone would just get rid of early action and move up regular action so I wouldn't have to wait until March. I wouldn't mind being deferred if it weren't for the waiting.

Posted by: David on December 15, 2008

Well, at least we weren't automatically rejected by one the best institutions in the WORLD!

Posted by: Brandon on December 15, 2008

And life goes on...

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

OMG when do we find out the stats???? I mean how many kids got a denial, ie how many people are we competing with?? That right their is probably why I didn't get into MIT - ending a sentence with a preposition. Tsk tsk, I'm not worthy.

However many of you there are, I wish all of the deferred students luck and patience for the next three months.

Posted by: Kris10 on December 15, 2008

Any of the deferred athletes? The coach told me this would probably happen.

@Angela

*shroud*

I am now...Anonymous.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@Anonymous

You're lucky you can share the feeling with somebody. All I've got are you guys, my schools just too stupid.

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

ok so i just read the page before the admission decision where you type in your username and password, and i'm thinkin those few comforting paragraphs at the top of the page were not read by ANYONE wanting to see their decision. i totally opened up the page and pressed enter baby. that's how i roll...

Posted by: Taylor on December 15, 2008

Hah... Everything has a bright side.

I got deferred therefore I can actually focus on the finals week that is starting tomorrow. I don't think I could even begin studying if I had found out I got in.

Posted by: Paulpaul on December 15, 2008

Hahaha looks like you caught Tyler's lies.

Posted by: lol on December 15, 2008

I got deferred too...oh well, there's always RA. raspberry

Posted by: Billy on December 15, 2008

@Kris10:

"This year, we received about 5,000 applications for early action admission, a record number for us and a 27% increase over last year. We admitted 540 students for an admit rate of 11%, or fewer than one of every nine applicants."

Posted by: Vivi '12 on December 15, 2008

I think the worst thing is when you're trying to keep your own expectations from getting too high (so as to not be crushed when, say, this happens), and everybody you know thinks your a shoo-in. That was my case, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Posted by: Matt A. on December 15, 2008

Glad I'm not the only one with a calc final tomorrow. Except it's only day two of three for just this final. I have to get 195 out of 200 to bring my 92.1 up to an A so MIT gets a good mid-year report. Oh, the joy of waiting.

Posted by: Vince on December 15, 2008

@Taylor

I read them, but don't worry, they didn't help inn any way so you didn't miss out.

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

Is anyone else not as upset as they thought they were going to be? Mostly I feel relieved that the wait is over - for now.

Posted by: Kelly on December 15, 2008

So...anyone have a facebook group, haha. Accepted has one too.

btw. Asian is so much worse than caucasian from midwest.

Posted by: Asian LA kid on December 15, 2008

I really hope that I get in on this second chance. I have always given people second chances, maybe now this is happening to me.

Posted by: Colton on December 15, 2008

ah damn deferral..
now we got 3 more months of suspense

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@lol

What's wrong with not following the rules? smile

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

I'm just glad I was not rejected,
MIT is still my dream school...I'll just have to wait errmm about 3 months longer. lol.
This is actually my 2nd deferment.
-Started with QuestBridge Finalist Match, now EA...how much more of this can i take??
But I have been trained well, I have hope, and I believe in a better outlook in RA.

Good luck to everyone for RA!!!

By the way,
Thanks for not rejecting me, MIT...

Posted by: Torffick A. on December 15, 2008

@Anonymous

Other than the fact Stanford can reject hm if they found out? Nothing.

Posted by: lol on December 15, 2008

500 out of 5100 applicants made it.

Posted by: Michael on December 15, 2008

@ asian LA kid

true that bro. Asian male = epic fail

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@ other Taylor

I here you dude I'm in the same boat unfortunately. Even more unfortunately I am a white male from a really small rural town in Massachusetts. I'd like to see the admit rate on that. I'm sure its a lot less than 10%

Posted by: Other Taylor on December 15, 2008

lol think about it this way -- you can apply everywhere else and be accepted there, and then you can brag about it right before you get accepted to MIT... sounds like a deal to me!!!

Posted by: MIT Hopeful on December 15, 2008

You're right, Kelly. I feel oddly relieved, besides the fact that now I have to really get some other scholarship apps done. I was expecting some sort of giant implosion. Can't argue with relieved though, I think I'll sleep well tonight for once.

Posted by: Vince on December 15, 2008

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooo

Posted by: Logan on December 15, 2008

@lol

"@Anonymous"

ta da.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

i'm pretty sure i'm the only one in the history of my high school who's even applied to MIT, let alone been deferred...that's a positive right?? plus 99.9 of my classmates will end up going to a state school within a 30-mile radius and i would die if i had to join them...march needs to come fast.

Posted by: Taylor on December 15, 2008

Agreed on the feeling of relief

Posted by: Matt A. on December 15, 2008

Ack...can't say I didn't spend a few weeks preparing myself for deferral. Thankfully, I was less disappointed than I thought I'd be. Nothing to do but try and smile and eat an entire plateful of brownies with friends smile

to vivi- We're all a bit disappointed, so naturally we're venting. Yes, the sister who posted might have been a little irritated, but it sometimes hurts even more when have to watch someone you care about be really disappointment. So you might not have liked the "Harvard" comment, but at least she's thinking to the future and of other possibilities. So please don't come to the deferral board and try to cut us down to size. 4.0s and 2400s aren't always easy.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

I really like the way MIT worded the deferral letter. It made it seem like there was still some hope (although I had to reread it a few dozen times). Deferral =/= rejection!

Posted by: Amina J ('13..?) on December 15, 2008

@Taylor: Sounds like me at my school. Most go to IUP (my sister does) and they seem to go for the partying (most students do). Frankly, the school just isn't for me, but it's my absolute last resort.

Posted by: Colton on December 15, 2008

well at least we were not rejected......right :-----
COMMENT:
AUTHOR:
EMAIL:
IP: 69.138.112.74
URL:
DATE: 12/15/2008 09:50:39 PM
COMMENT_BODY:
All who got deferred, join this Facebook group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2222724260

Look at me in chair. King of the castle king of the castle.

Posted by: Borat on December 15, 2008

Joining white midwesterners
and i think that we should just meet somewhere and figure this out.

Poker? rock-paper-scissors? battle royal?
Any takers?

and then again i could say near home and be close to the trout fishing parks and awesome geology of the Missouri Ozarks.

READ SOMEWHERE 540 out of over 5 thousand accepted!

Posted by: STATS on December 15, 2008

Doesn't Stanford have RESTRICTIVE Early Action?

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Call me a pessimist, but that just felt like a slap across the face. I feel like they are making me wait another couple of months for that rejection just to tear me in half. And to whoever said that being a white guy from the midwest is hard, try being the sweet little Asian girl. Everyone expects you to burry your head in your books and have a genius IQ. I wish I was Native American, just so I could get in easier.

Yeah, so I sound a bit insensitive. Sorry if I offend anyone.

Posted by: C Dubs on December 15, 2008

while we're talking regions, are there any other southerners here?

Posted by: Matt A. on December 15, 2008

@Matt A.

My sentiments exactly. People in general are stupid, they have no idea. NO

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

Well, all we have to do is get really excited about another college, and then we'll get accepted into MIT.

I'm counting on Murphy's Law to make my dreams come true...

Posted by: Nicole on December 15, 2008

@Torffick A.

I was a questbridge finalist too!!! I ranked MIT, Yale, Columbia, and Princeton, and was "regretfully rejected" from all...oh well at least we got out of the application fee :D

Posted by: Taylor on December 15, 2008

@Anon
And we tell them, and they don't believe us.

Posted by: Matt A. on December 15, 2008

I really enjoyed the inclusion of the Hughes and Auden poems in this blog...quite fitting.

But honestly, deferral is not that bad. well maybe for me, since I'm in georgetown already. In the scheme of things, just because we weren't one of the 540 accepted doesn't mean that we aren't worthy of such a high caliber institution, just that admissions hasn't quite figured out if we will be the best fit for MIT and if MIT will be the best fit for us.

just more waiting...good luck to all with the rest of the apps and in MIT's RD. i still have 4ish to go...

Posted by: Lauren on December 15, 2008

YOU HAVE AN EQUALLY LIKELY CHANCE OF GETTING ACCEPTED RD AS YOU DID IN THE EA PROCESS. Look at the numbers people. ~10% in early, ~10% in regular.

@Vivi

Um. I had already admitted my mistake earlier. You don't need to tell me this. I already know; I've played the college admissions game before. My sister was okay with it. I think it's understandable that I'd feel angry about my little sister being deferred. Anyway, congrats to everyone who did get in, good luck to those who were deferred. Gotta study for a biochem final now.

Posted by: megan on December 15, 2008

So wait, say you took sat 2s on the day of a death in the family, could you retake them and submit new scores?

@Matt A.

And they just say, "well you're smart, you'll get in." Meanwhile they're applying to the open enrollment local community college

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

@Anon
Funny thing about my case is that a lot of these people are also applying to prestigious schools, or are juniors who will surely do so.

Posted by: Matt A. on December 15, 2008

@ C Dubs:

At least you're a girl. People like women in the sciences. Try being an Asian guy.

Posted by: YC on December 15, 2008

BAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWwwww

Posted by: Anon on December 15, 2008

I'm slightly disheartened to see so many people saying that only now that they didn't get into MIT that they have to start working on other applications. Getting in here isn't supposed to be easy or guaranteed. Putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak, on this application can't have been the wisest choice. Even though MIT was (and still is) my #1 choice, I have been working on other apps.

Arrrgh! Deferred! Time to hurry up and wait!

Posted by: Aaron on December 15, 2008

EVERYONE, BE AT PEACE, FOR THIS IS ONLY A TEMPORARY TEST OF ENDURANCE, FOR WE "THE DEFERRED" WILL BE MORE TESTED AND AS A RESULT MORE PREPARED TO SUCCEED AT MIT, if you get in...........

Posted by: TJC on December 15, 2008

Woo, more waiting! (not really funny, but eh...)
I think they just like to test our patience...
=/

At least there's still room to dream. Not rejected!

I'll hold onto whatever thread of hope flying this way!

Posted by: Kandi on December 15, 2008

I've always been number 2 to the same guy in my grade. He got accepted to his dream school today. Tomorrow, people learn that he really is better than I am.

I wish I could say "Screw MIT," but I still really like it and wish I could go. Is there a term for when something makes you angry and sad and disappointed and you like it anyway?

Posted by: Heartbroken on December 15, 2008

@Aaron

Yea, that is kinda silly to only rely on getting into MIT.

I've been bugging the heck out of all of my teachers for recommendations for tons of schools---mainly in state because it's just easier.

I just don't wanna go to a school for another for years with the same hometown landscape. =/

Posted by: Kandi on December 15, 2008

MIT is amazing and all, but I'm still hoping for an acceptance letter from Yale...maybe this little road block is preparing me for an even bigger let down...

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

"MIT is amazing and all, but I'm still hoping for an acceptance letter from Yale...maybe this little road block is preparing me for an even bigger let down..."

So you applied MIT early and you're going to do Yale regular?

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

I'm going to be in here with all the other deferrees next year too woooooooooooooo

Posted by: that guy on December 15, 2008

deferred...

Posted by: Brian on December 15, 2008

@Matt and Anon:
I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm actually just really excited. I wasn't rejected and most of my friends got in where they really wanted to go (some even here! :D ). All in all, not so bad. I guess we'll just have to wait till March now. Good luck again to all in March with RA, and of course with all your other apps too. I'm sure that each and every one of us will end up going to a great school and will have many amazing opportunities in life, whether we ultimately get into/go to MIT or not.

And I really liked the poems by the way. We read the Auden poem a few weeks ago in English, when I saw it here I cracked up.

Posted by: Morrisa on December 15, 2008

@ Kris10
I don't think that being lousy at english is going to keep you from MIT, it is an engineering school after all... (I stink at english too, probably made loads of mistakes just now, but I still managed to get deferred!)

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

No I was a questbridge finalist so I had the option of applying to several schools at once for early decision...it's complicated

Posted by: Taylor on December 15, 2008

So, coping mechanisms anyone?

I read the first line, saw deferred, and then I went over to my family's piano and played Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# Minor. It got rid of all my anger at the admissions officers, but I'm still really disappointed.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@Matt A
I hail from the south as well and received my deferment letter.

Posted by: Jason B on December 15, 2008

MIT, you are my #1 school.
I would do anything to get accepted.
Please, please accept me in March.

There is nothing else I want in this world.

Posted by: Chris on December 15, 2008

Woohoo deferral! I don't know about you guys, but it ain't too bad. Last year deferral had an admittance rating of almost 10%.

The only gripe I have is that they didn't realize my school is a crap place to be, and the fact that I did what I did is testament unto itself.

But I don't care. I've got competitions eyed out which I believe I can do something impressive in to show improvement, ambition, etc. (USAMO, anyone?)

Posted by: Pawel on December 15, 2008

: (
darn, no tube with confetti...bummer

yup I'm a varsity athlete (swimming) who got deferred

but it's all good

positive attitude, yes? think very powerful, positive thoughts toward a certain address in Cambridge...

Posted by: AGH on December 15, 2008

Won't being accepted in March kinda feel like being a lesser admittee knowing that you weren't good enough the first time around? That's how I feel.

Posted by: Deferred '09 on December 15, 2008

I am a little disappointed

Posted by: bo.qin on December 15, 2008

Better than what happened for me at Caltech. And for the person who wanted Caltech stats: 1048 applied, 227 accepted (about half will enroll), 292 deferred, and 529 rejected (say hi to me). That makes for a 49.5% "good" letter rate.

Posted by: Stephen W on December 15, 2008

@AGH: I'm a varsity swimmer too! My coach and teammates are being really supportive right now, and I appreciate them so much.

There's still hope for March!

Posted by: swimmer on December 15, 2008

matt, you and me are in the same boat.

That's gonna suck having to tell everyone I got defered, and then having to explain what defered means, o well, i'll live.

O yea, who else is from Texas that got defered

Posted by: Steven on December 15, 2008

Well, this was exactly what I expected - but hey, at least I wasn't rejected. My apologies go out to anyone who was. For those who were accepted, good luck at MIT!

Meanwhile, I've got to get to work on my other apps, and then it's time to wait for all of the decisions to come back. I know that my chances are phenomenally slim for getting into MIT during RD, but I'll still hold out hope.

I'd like to thank the people of the MIT Admissions Office for their kind words in the deferral message. Good luck to everybody there with all of the applications you've gotta sift through come January. Here's hoping that mine gets in put in that incredibly tiny "Accepted" pile...

Posted by: Evan M. on December 15, 2008

Ahaha, this is amusing. I have the Avenue Q soundtrack on my iPod, and some of the songs on my "Favorites" playlist, right? Well, when I was getting home from picking up some stuff and getting ready to get online to check my results, shuffle mode happened to bring up "I Wish I Could Go Back to College," which, while on the wrong side of the college timeline, was still rather appropriate to my feelings. Anyway, about half an hour or so after I saw that I got deferred, "It Sucks to Be Me" comes on. About fifteen seconds into the song (not into the track itself, which starts with "What Do You Do With a B.A. In English?" before moving into the other piece), I began cracking up as I realized what was happening.

Really, don't be depressed. You aren't in yet, but it's not over yet either. MIT has been synonymous with "college" for me for a long time, but still, I'm not going to panic or get angry. There's still a chance, and personally, I think my chance is better now, because at the very least I can add some more information about myself. Even if I don't get in, it's not like I won't have a chance to do well in life.

...Wow, I'm not used to talking like this. With this and pulling an all-nighter to get two essays done instead of not doing them at all (I procrastinated a little too long, a habit I'm trying to kill), I think I might actually be becoming responsible. That'll be good no matter what college I go to.

Posted by: Dane on December 15, 2008

Does anyone know the % of students who were deferred?

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

good luck guys with your other apps, I'm just happy I got deferred. Come on, this is MIT. Getting accepted is a really impressive achievement. I hope you guys do your best because thats all you can do. Maybe MIT is just not for us and if it is not then so be it.

Posted by: Erazo on December 15, 2008

@ Deferred '09

Yeah. That's how I feel too. Plus, no tubes for us, only envelopes... =(

Posted by: Rebeca on December 15, 2008

We're still not out of the running...

Posted by: Scott on December 15, 2008

judging from past years, about 50-65% of applicants are deferred

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Just remembered about the person who asked about athletes; yes, I am a Varsity long distance runner (Cross Country and Track & Field). Because Caltech is out, MIT is now my official #1 so I really want to get in.

Also, hope my grammar and English isn't all that bad (everyone who is complaining seems fine to me).

I guess I'll say what I keep trying to remind myself... we have been deferred, not rejected. Clearly if a school like MIT has decided to keep our application, each one of us really has accomplished a lot. Think about it, we were deferred, not rejected! Use that as a spring to feel better. I know its hard, we're all on the same boat, but life isn't going to stop because of a deferral. Keep your hopes up and have some faith. We've made it this far already! I know we have to face everyone tomorrow and that itself is another annoyance but it is what it is. Tell them with some pride that you got deferred from MIT. I know its easier said than done, but don't give up you guys. And look at it this way, you're not the only one going through it. Thank god for these posts, its almost like a little support group for the next 3 months. Good Luck everyone for the rest of your applications and for MIT RA. And thanks to everyone who put up the stats and kept us updated throughout the process smile

Posted by: vegan on December 15, 2008

Hey guys, so I was in your shoes last year. To be honest , I was shocked to even be deferred, i assumed I would be in the 12% of people rejected. Anyway, I just wanted to say, keep your head up. I scheduled a visit in early February, and dropped off something I wrote about why I wanted to be at MIT. Congrats on getting this far!

Posted by: Virginia '12 on December 15, 2008

I saw this on the not admitted page and it's pretty interesting.

http://www.paulgraham.com/judgement.html

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

wow... Sorry for the long response. Way too many things going through my head at that one moment. It just all kind of came out.

btw... the most upsetting part of this entire thing... not getting that tube :(

Posted by: vegan on December 15, 2008

hey....I'm happy with being deferred!

Maybe I can fill the "white female from the midwest" quota grin

Posted by: Hannah on December 15, 2008

wait, what tube?

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

@vegan

Well put, I couldn't possibly agree more. I had to brace myself for the possible rejection so that I wouldn't get all bummed out my top two colleges; so I was elated to find a "deferral" awaiting my login rather than a "rejection." Of course, it would have been nice to get "accepted," but all the sweets in life cannot be gotten the first time they come into sight.

Thanks, MIT, for not totally putting me out of the picture.

Hey at least we get some MIT memorabilias (envelopes) for being deferred. its better than being rejected.

Posted by: Chris on December 15, 2008

what percent of the deferred people get in
and what percent of the people are deferred in the first place? lol

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

great... just great.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

heck, im just happy i have another chance. ^^

and i would like to kno the percentages of admitted, deferred and rejected.

Posted by: mel on December 15, 2008

@one of many Anons:
I'm sorry if my comment offended you in any way; I certainly wasn't trying to beat you into the ground by saying 2400s/4.0s were easy to come by. (Although once you come to MIT you very quickly learn that such items are not an accurate prediction of your performance here at all - I was a 2200/4.0 and I'm currently failing, haha..) I'm just try to say that instead of trying to pick and complain about what the admissions officers didn't see or care for (i.e. perfect scores, etc.), maybe it's better to look at aspects of yourself that could help your cause. Complete some more personal projects, participate in some more science competitions, and no matter what, keep MIT updated on what you're doing; it's never been officially confirmed but I am of the belief that it does help =)

P.S. Despite the jokes we make against them, MIT people actually do befriend people from and like Harvard. Especially their liberal arts classes. And Harvard Square. And the restaurants that the Kendall/MIT area is severely lacking :D

Oh damn.

Throw one more tally on the "white midwestern males" column; I guess I'll just have to send myself a tube. The glass is half full? Looks more like it's just under 10% full to me. I had so many people rooting for me too. I feel so mediocre. We should send the admissions office a tube. What would you put inside? I think pressurized cottage cheese would do the trick. Maybe I should send them my blood; they've already got the sweat and tears.

Posted by: c^2 on December 15, 2008

sucks to be me

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2008

Ugh, what a pain. Now I have to pay some $400 for all of my other apps. Time to save up....

Posted by: Moose on December 16, 2008

@vivi- Ah yes, sorry for the misunderstanding. I do hope to keep updating MIT on some stuff, and I guess I'll just keep having a blast at all the Science Olympiad stuff this year smile (Nationals, here we come! maybe XD )

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

Midwestern, deferred at MIT, I got into U.CH today.
Almost all who were accepted at MIT, have amazing research projects. Congrats!

Posted by: Another Alex on December 16, 2008

so it's 11% ish accepted.. how many ppl are deferred?

Posted by: lizzio on December 16, 2008

Posted by: lizzio on December 16, 2008

Hopefully my straight A's in the mid-year report will make up for my straight B's last year. I'm just glad I wasn't rejected before I got a fair chance.

Posted by: Michael B on December 16, 2008

Ah! Deferred... I was actually expecting this because I was not able to send my Mid-Year Grade Report Form yet. Could this be a possible reason for getting deferred?

Well then! Best of luck to everyone in Regular Action! Be optimistic everyone! Do not get yourself down. I am actually pretty relieved with this decision. I am still full of great adrenaline and anticipation for MIT and I am sure to put it into use to put even greater effort in my current studies. I will never give up on my dreams to better our world!

Like my basketball coach always tells me, "A true champion is not shown through how many times he/she has won, but by the great strength and courage to continually pick himself up after a defeat!" Thats all you Coach Bobich! Good times. :D

This is my first blog ever here actually and I hope I do not get in trouble for this but...

THERE IS A GENOCIDE IN DARFUR!!! HALF A MILLION DEAD!!! 4,500,000 DISPLACED!!! PLEASE VISIT:

www.EnoughProject.org
www.TheIRC.org
www.DarfurScores.org
www.JewishWorldWatch.org
www.Sudanesonline.com
www.SudanNet.com
www.SudanTribune.com
www.SudanFreePress.blogspot.com
www.newsudanvision.com/news/sudan

PLENTY OF INFORMATION AND WAYS FOR YOU TO SAVE LIVES!!! EMAIL ME AT [email protected] FOR MORE INFORMATION ON WAYS YOU CAN BECOME INVOLVED!!!

I HOPE THIS DOES NOT AFFECT THE MIT SITE IN ANY WAY AND SINCERELY APOLOGIZE IF IT CAUSES ANY INCONVENIENCE!!! BUT ALAS I MUST PROMOTE MORE AWARENESS!!!

Posted by: TimDo4SaveDarfur on December 16, 2008

Heres to a deferral grin !

For those of you who know what Portal is, the song "Still Alive" hits close to home in this situation. Hehe

Posted by: Matt Fennema on December 16, 2008

still hanging in!!! now time to wait

Posted by: O on December 16, 2008

I was probably as disappointed as all of you with my deferral letter... but then, thinking about it, I realized - we are part of a small percentage of high school seniors who WEREN'T initially rejected from MIT. Not a lot of people can say that. So cheer up, study for your calculus exam (which I too have tomorrow), go eat some ice cream, and try to put it out of your mind until March smile

For the record - I'm a hispanic female from New Orleans who doesn't do any sports

Posted by: Pauline on December 16, 2008

I don't even think that thinking with portals will help us much anymore anyway...

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

Well, its important that we continue on and try our best. The best thing is to just continue on!

Posted by: Peter on December 16, 2008

Hey, patience is a virtue isn't it?

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

Deferral may be tough, but we've all worked so hard! You can't help but remember how much you learned just out of writing that application. It was a positive experience that I hope few of us will ever forget (who agrees with me on that one?)

Let's make like some protons and stay positive!

Posted by: David ‚àë on December 16, 2008

I'm hoping so much that I can be one of those people who can say "don't worry guys...I got deferred from EA then accepted during RD" this time next year. Please make my wish come true, MIT?

Posted by: Ilyanep on December 16, 2008

There goes my dream. I just wish the SATs weren't so influential.

Congrats to those who were accepted and those who have been deferred. The best of luck to you.

Posted by: Marco on December 16, 2008

2310, 5.0 junior year, eagle scout, athletic recruitment, NHS, volunteer tutor...

If that doesn't match what MIT wants, then I have been sorely mistaken for the past year in my perceptions. If I am not the right fit, then screw it. Even if I get in for regular action, a rift has been created that admission cannot bridge.

Posted by: egh on December 16, 2008

This is the most bittersweet victory I've ever felt like I didn't necessarily not earn in any form. Though I do have to say good luck to all of us, and that those admits in RA keep the dream alive!

And also, total rofl at "Still Alive." Never before has that song sounded so... comforting. Haha.

Posted by: RiCHARD on December 16, 2008

Not sure why everyone took deferal so negatively. Sure, it's not acceptance, but it's not a denial either: you still have a second shot with the RA students. Also, with 5000 EA aplicants, there are bound to be more people who were defered, or straight out denied.

@ Megan: Life can be frustrating. I'm glad to hear that your sister took it well. The MIT admissions office said they weren't looking for perfect scores, so maybe she relied to much on her scores, and left out some more personal information.

@ Midwestern White Male Society: At least you get to fill some quota somewhere. Coming from a mediocre high school in a state (Washington) of ultra-high grade private schools, I have some serious competition.

Whatever. Good luck to everyone on their RA. I'm going to go watch Heroes.

Posted by: Eric Carlson on December 16, 2008

Deferred to MIT, one of the best schools in the nation. I'm stoked! I feel like a king hah

Posted by: Mark on December 16, 2008

Eric, just warning you, this episode was terrible, and felt like a raw Saw mock-up designed specifically to alienate viewers.

Just an opinion; don't get your hopes too high for this episode.

Posted by: RiCHARD on December 16, 2008

hey white midwestern males: its not just midwestern... repping from the west coast here.

also consider: admissions is 10% overall. Many times more men apply than women, but the demographics of students show equal gender enrollment. If 4 times more men apply than women, the adjusted admissions rates are as follows:
4% for men
25% for women

how's that for equality?
and i'd rather not delve into racial statistics, but i'm sure they're even more skewed. Which brings up my final point. If you're wondering what you did wrong on your application, perhaps it is the little line at the top that says white male.

*Probably also applies to asian males*

Posted by: from the west on December 16, 2008

why do caucasian males from midwest keep saying thats a bad thing?

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

YAAAAAAAAAY not rejected. Although, I must admit, all this buildup in the past week seems ridiculous now that I have to wait a few more months. I hope my other colleges get back to me soon, so I have another option haha.

Posted by: Nate on December 16, 2008

I say all the deferred get together and have a party to boost self-esteem.

Posted by: Marco on December 16, 2008

The party's right here.

Posted by: Tsornin on December 16, 2008

@ Marco - Agreed XD

I'm actually quite surprised with deferred...I have the qualifications, just didn't feel I did so hot on the application itself...whatever

*meanders back to listening to "Staying Alive" XD*

Posted by: T² on December 16, 2008

I wonder how much art-related extracurriculars help. I'm a math club exec at my school, but my extracurriculars are heavily invested in piano and art (I sent ten pages of artwork).

What do youse think?

Posted by: Tsornin on December 16, 2008

For those of you who know what Portal is, the song "Still Alive" hits close to home in this situation.

You'll find that people sing that song quite a bit around here.

Posted by: MIT '12 on December 16, 2008

It's just been one of those days for me and my friends...
Which means I'll always wonder: would things be different if I'd waited until tomorrow?

...and superstition trumps common sense once again. =P

Posted by: Niki on December 16, 2008

The worst part is not the deference. I can handle failure - I've faced many, many kinds of failures in my brief seventeen years of life, yet inexplicably, still come out of the mess in one piece, and stronger than before.

The worst part is that I love this school so much.

I've never visited MIT.
I've only talked to a few people who actually went there.
Sure I've seen the pictures, watched the lectures on YouTube, seen the hack articles on Wikipedia, heard the stories of all the wonderful traditions, and read the blogs of some very fascinating and intelligent people who go here (I want to personally commend all of you for being such wonderful people, by the way.)

No, I love this school because of what it represents to me - it's a symbol of the defeat of disparity.

MIT is an idea, that no matter what circumstances I've faced in my life, as long as I have the drive to change and be better than yesterday, then there is no limit to how much I can succeed. That somebody I will throw a rope to others like myself, whom society has tragically tossed aside so non-chalantly, and change the world.

Does deferment this mean my dreams are going to whither?

I couldn't tell you.

To the person who quoted Langston Hughes, I am afraid we have a discrepancy in our interpretations of his famous poem...

Because I think dreams deferred really do explode - and destruction breeds creation. This is my Big Bang. This will propel me to greater wonders than I ever imagined. My dream has been obliterated, but from the ashes, a universe will begin to coalesce.

A beautiful cosmos, to which new dreams and aspirations will be woven in to.

And of course, some old ones - MIT is already close to my heart, and I greatly appreciate the second chance.

But know something now - my ambition has grown twofold.

I. Will. Make. Something. Of. Myself.

I just really feel like I'd be happiest stretching my wings at MIT, over any other institution in the world.

Time will tell.

Posted by: Robert B on December 16, 2008

I've gotta say, inspirational post, Robert!

Posted by: Cathy on December 16, 2008

I am SOOO glad that I didn't get rejected. I was totally expecting to read "We regret to inform you..." Deferral is bittersweet, but at least we have another shot!

...and so the wait begins, again

"A Dream Deferred" by Langston Hughes means so much more now.

Posted by: Noelle on December 16, 2008

I wonder how many people following this thread now have "Still Alive" playing on their computers.

Posted by: Tsornin on December 16, 2008

I'ma go shower up!

Posted by: Nate on December 16, 2008

It seems like everyone on this thread needs a little cheering up.
I was reminded of this jolly little clip when I read the 'failboat' comment.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcU4t6zRAKg
just so we don't get to depressed smile

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

Well, got deferred at MIT but got accepted to Caltech, so I'm not complaining.

Posted by: Bo on December 16, 2008

Hrmmm...Is it just me, or does there seem to be a good number of people like that...deferred by MIT but accepted by Caltech...I'm one, and a number of people I know are in the same.

Also makes me wonder it there's any cases the other way around. I so far haven't heard any.

Posted by: T² on December 16, 2008

yeeeee! no rejection fsho man excited for march.
its gonna be offff the heeeeeezy.

Posted by: Jay on December 16, 2008

Taylor,Torffick A

Glad I'm not the only Questbridge finalist who got rejected. I didn't get into any of my other schools either. Aw well, Best of Luck to you all.

Posted by: Anonymous on December 16, 2008

Haha, Dont worry.
Indian Male = Way worse than Caucasian Male

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

i love how hyped up i got for something that obviously does not happen. I feel like if i try i fail COOL!

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2008

Deferred... Atleast not a rejection! Considering my stats deferred is good and means that they might actually consider me.

So can we submit more information like research/invention/etc. to admissions to be considered with our app in RA???

Posted by: Hoping to be in MIT (soon) on December 16, 2008

I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......
oh.....
Did I mention...
.....I HATE THISSSSSSSSS......?????

Posted by: jamsandwich on December 16, 2008

@bruno
most definitely

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

Meh...It could be worse, but this no fun! :-----
COMMENT:
AUTHOR: Cathbad
EMAIL: [email protected]
IP: 200.3.250.100
URL:
DATE: 12/16/2008 09:16:13 AM
COMMENT_BODY:
How do I fit in the quotas? I am a Hispanic with Permanent Residency, and I live in Texas... still got deferred tho

Posted by: Ace on December 16, 2008

Whew! deferred! Least I still have a chance!

Posted by: Rudy on December 16, 2008

EGH...I bet that attitude of yours cam across in your application...Work on that a little and maybe next time...

Posted by: A Man on December 16, 2008

Just remember...in the words of GLaDOS:

"There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake."

Hmm, replace cake with "hope of getting accepted into MIT" and it makes sense since THE CAKE IS A LIE.

Posted by: Billy on December 16, 2008

Well, not hope of getting accepted into MIT at all, just the hope of getting accepted EA. raspberry

Posted by: Billy on December 16, 2008

MIT SHMEMIT

I'm a dad whose daughter was deferred. I just read all the blogs of the deferrels and the rejecteds. I know its easy for me to say because I'm old and stupid but every one of you represent the best of our country and elsewhere so just dont sweat it. As parents we love you more than life and it really doesn't matter if you go to the local junior college. You will do well wherever you go because you are good smart motivated people. Enjoy wherever you end up and keep your love of learning and helping the world. Peace

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2008

as a note of encouragement to you all: I got deferred EA and got in later. Lots of my friends were the same.

Don't feel too discouraged. Just make the rest of your applications count. You *will* get in somewhere awesome, or somewhere willing to give you craptons of scholarships.

Also, the quotas are so BS. Stop analyzing it like that.

Posted by: hoppzor on December 16, 2008

I was deferred, but my mom was saying "I don't understand, you applied early! They should just let you in!". It's hilarious watching how frusterated she gets.

I've already gotten in everywhere else, but this is the only school I want to go to. It's discouraging, but loads more people get in during regular decision, there is essentially nothing to worry about, it is not in our hands.

Posted by: Megan on December 16, 2008

@ Brittany

I heard that about 300 were let in out of 5000 or so.

Posted by: Megan on December 16, 2008

@ anon dad whose daughter was deferred:

unfortunately, not all parents are like that. I'm haven't even told my parents yet, I'm scared how they're going to react.
But thank you, it's very encouraging to hear (see?) those words.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

Wow, reading all of this, im glad im not alone.
deferred is the chance to show then that we can bounce back at whatever they give us. We should show them that this wont stop us. keep working hard, but dont kill yourself trying to. Im glad caltech deferred me, it prepared me for this!
good job everyone, dont change what you want to do with your life. Its what you think of yourself, not what others think of you.

Posted by: Karen on December 16, 2008

Posted by: Karen on December 16, 2008

Very sad that I got deferred. I was really wishing to get that lottery ticket spot at MIT. So now what are the chances? I am a white male from the Pittsburgh region with not so exciting SAT results (1210). I took every advanced class that was offered at my school and have maintained straight A's in these courses. I have a whole lot of EC's and an impressive essay. Advice? Lamentation?

Posted by: Luke on December 16, 2008

Hey to Anonymous,and Taylor

Yea, shoutouts to QuestBridge Finalists who got deferred! lol
Wish you two, and everyone, the best of luck in RA and any other school decisions...

Dreams deferred, but not dreams shattered.
Thanks hoppzor and every other current MIT student who have been in our situation before. Thanks for all the support and encouragement.

Its finally snowing in NY!! woot woot!

Posted by: Torffick A on December 16, 2008

woot woot one more chance!

but anyway, education is more about the knowledge you gain not the where you get it so regardless of where we go im sure we'll be fine

good luck in RA for all of us

Posted by: shawn on December 16, 2008

mit was my top choice for a long time.
now I don't know if I would go even if they accepted me RD - I looked through my app again, and there's absolutely nothing I would have done differently. if they couldn't offer me admission based on what they saw...
I guess I don't want it.

Posted by: caltech '13 on December 16, 2008

caltech '13... and with that attitude you may not get in RD either

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

i hope i am allowed to post here despite not being deferred this year.

when i applied quiteawhileago, i got deferred at mit, and was then accepted later.
all i can say is, keep up the good work you are doing in your school! no doubt you are all bright, wonderful students. and if you have any other snippets to add about what you are up to (in terms of activities, awards, grades, projects, stuff like that that happens after the fall semester), make sure to update your file and let the admissions office know smile

Posted by: former mit student on December 16, 2008

If I were an admissions officer, I'd look on these blogs and find a whole bunch of people that believe they're so great and so qualified to go to MIT that they can't believe MIT would dare defer them, even if it does mean they get a second chance. I'm not saying I didn't feel that last night either when I saw the word "defer" on my screen. But I'm also not ranting about my 2400, 4.0 GPA, science fair winner and whatever else you may have. Maybe it's because I don't have a 2400, or a 4.0, and have never done a science fair or internship. I'm not an officer in any honors society or student government. But if I were that admissions officer, I'd first look at the people that were able to deal with this disappointment in a mature manner first, and then pick out the most qualified candidates from there.

You're learning a valuable lesson the accepted candidates aren't. Maybe you were deferred because MIT felt that was what you needed before you could come to the Institute. Of course I'm disappointed, but all I can say is I'm glad MIT considered me worthy enough to merit reconsideration.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

this is kinda late, but Taylor A, how'd you get into Stanford early if you also applied EA to MIT? isn't Stanford's EA restrictive?

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

@Everybody,

First, speaking as a member of the Educational Council, I want to extend sincere congratulations to you for what you HAVE achieved. The Admissions Office decided to defer decision on your application because they currently expect your application to be competitive in the final selection -- and that is not an insignificant achievement! After last year's selection process, the Admissions Office said that they could have admitted three or four freshman classes out of the pool of applicants WITHOUT compromising the Institute's standards. If the office deferred decision on your application, it is because the staff have determined that you are worthy of admission. So stop, take a deep breath, and give yourselves a big pat on the back, because you deserve it!

Now, there is still time to submit additional materials to strengthen your application for the final selection cycle.

>> If you have taken any additional college entrance exams, you certainly should submit the scores.

>> It also would be very appropriate to send an updated transcript showing your grades so far in your senior year of high school.

>> If you have received any awards or distinctions since you submitted your application, send a concise letter (keep it to one page) to the admissions office stating what award or distinction you received, the date of the award, and from whom you received the award or distinction. Be sure to include your name, AS IT APPEARS ON YOUR APPLICATION, and your date of birth on this correspondence, as the Admissions Office uses that information to match your correspondence with your application file.

>> And if there is any other new information that might be relevant to the admissions decision, you should submit that information via a concise letter in the same way.

Finally, if you have not already done so, it would be a good idea to submit applications to other colleges and universities -- and be sure to include one or two "safe schools" where you are very confident of admission. Unfortunately, we know that the admissions office won't be able to admit somewhere around 90% of the "deferred" applicants so a "Plan B" is definitely in order.

EC Norm.

Posted by: EC Norm on December 16, 2008

To :EC Norm
Thank you for clarifying that "deferred" is not... synonym with "defeated"
Thank you for putting it all in prospective!

Posted by: Alina on December 16, 2008

I'm now conviced

THE WORLD HATES ME!

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

@EC Norm
Thanks for the pick-me-up. I knew being deferred counted for something, but I didn't know how much. In any case, from the stats I've seen, 10% get accepted EA, then almost 10% of those deferred get accepted RA, so we get another shot with about the same odds as before if we're willing to be patient, and for MIT, it's worth it.

Posted by: Matt A. on December 16, 2008

Wow, someone's name is very close to mine D:

Posted by: Tyler Alexander on December 16, 2008

just out of curiosity, can they link who is commenting with who is applying. I know I am using the same computer that I applied with to make this comment, so can they figure out it's me? I would assume it's quite possible... and would MIT admissions judge me based on my comments?

btw this is in response to anonymous @ 3:34 PM

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

What defines MIT acceptance? I know they like to avoid statistics and look at a person on a whole different level but what attributes make a person worthy of an education at Massachusetts Institute of Technology? Is it any specific number of traits or do they simply want us to be amazing, jump off the page and conquer the world? But what encompasses the word amazing? Wouldn't the adjective amazing be relative to a person's values, life experiences and overall character? Some things are much harder for certain individuals and the word "deferred" might be a lottery ticket.

Posted by: Luke J on December 16, 2008

@Above anonymous

I don't think they would...a lot of people would say things that they don't mean after something like this, and that'd be pretty unfair for them to do. It's pretty stressful, but that's one thing you shouldn't have to worry about.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

I wish I was black :(

Posted by: Jacob on December 16, 2008

lol jacob, i know if only i was born a black female in haiti and i didnt learn english as my first language.

Posted by: kevin on December 16, 2008

@ Luke

If you didn't read this before applying, perhaps this will explain more about the "Match" between you and MIT:

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/pulse/the_match_between_you_and_mit/index.shtml

This includes valuable information for everyone!

Posted by: anonymous on December 16, 2008

@ EC Norm

Thank you so much for posting. I was wondering how to approach updating MIT Admissions on awards and updates.

Thanks again!

Posted by: Sam ('13?) on December 16, 2008

i understand when you apply early action and you are deffered that means your application is reconsidered for regular action. does that mean i get a chance to retake the SATs on jan. 24th and re-submit my new scores to MIT for regular decision by then? and also, can i add or send them 'new' things that has been happening since nov. 1, its not like I've been sitting in my room waiting for yesterday to find out i need to wait longer =/, well alteast i get to keep waiting instead of having nothing to wait for form being rejected.

Posted by: kevin on December 16, 2008

did anyone else spend their day explaining to people what "deferred" meant?

I was shocked how many people didn't know...

Posted by: Kelly on December 16, 2008

Theres alot of comments here. I don't feel like reading them all.

But bring your spirits up come on... Remember it is not the end of the world. Even if u got accepted to only ur community college, it is what u do in life that matters. I know a Darden grad who went to our community college and hes doing fine.

Posted by: bo.qin on December 16, 2008

have hope, it's not the end of the world. a good chunk of you may end up being accepted regular action. take challenging classes and do well in them and keep up your other activities/interests. i think admissions has to do with fate: you end up where you're supposed to go smile

Posted by: deferred then admitted '12 on December 16, 2008

"Still Alive" is now on a constant loop in my brain...

Posted by: Zach on December 16, 2008

Anyone here from Kansas??? As far as I know I'm the only one...not much of a surprise.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

@Kelly

YES! sooo many kids at my school had no idea what i was talking about when i said "deferred". but then again, half of my graduating class isn't going to college, so i guess they wouldn't know...

Posted by: Mara on December 16, 2008

I know you must be disappointed, but I was deferred last year and I got in Regular Action, so don't give up hope, even if you're an upper-middle class Caucasian male.

Posted by: Nick on December 16, 2008

CalTech

Posted by: M on December 16, 2008

Facebook Group for the deferred:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=52094007588

Posted by: Brandon on December 16, 2008

Why is it that there are so many great students with so little opportunities? My GPA is in the top 1% of my class, yet it's probably the same or lower than everyone applying to MIT. I was deferred from MIT and Chicago, while my friend who has a lower GPA and minimal extracurriculars was admitted. This is like the Great Twitch (I'm assuming everyone here know what I'm referring to. Yay nerds!). I suggest we have group therapy sometime soon. A support group would really help.

Posted by: C Dubs on December 16, 2008

I suggest that everyone read Death of a Salesman. After my rubik's cube, juggling, and piano didn't help, I read Death of a Salesman and realized my life (and deferral) really aren't that bad.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

so i was deferred and i want to have a different teacher write and additional letter for me but i cant access the evalution papers. anyone know where i can download them?

Posted by: deferred on December 16, 2008

Deferred but not deterred. I shall show my persistence and get in!

Posted by: Chan-Hee Koh on December 16, 2008

@deferred (7:08pm)

Here ya go: http://www.didigetintomit.com/docs/
There's a couple forms I dl-ed.

Posted by: Brandon on December 16, 2008

even though im deferred i can take the SATs in jan again and reupdate them and send them to MIT?

Posted by: kevin on December 16, 2008

I know of 3 people (including myself) from my school who applied EA for MIT, what I find most ironic is that all 3 of us were deferred. We are a Math/Science Academy so more may have applied that I didn't know about.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

this is anon from 3:44 PM.

woops, I meant Tyler A., not Taylor A.
I'm still curious about my previous question, though.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

Deferred to MIT and Caltech =/

The stats for Caltech EA were this (with a few calculations):

Applied: 1048
Accepted: 227 (21.66%)
Deferred: 292 (27.86%)
Rejected: 529 (50.48%)

They seem to reject a lot more than they defer; I don't know whether to be happy about that or not.

Posted by: Double deferred on December 16, 2008

I was glad that I was not rejected right away. But for some reason I cant seem to stop checking the decisions website to see if they made a mistake and changed my deferral to an acceptance.

Posted by: Samuel M on December 16, 2008

to Samuel M:
HAHA same here. I had a dream that I got deferred from MIT and got in RD, the first part of that dream was true so we shall see.

I had a dream that I got DENIED so this is pretty good, actually raspberry

Posted by: Stephen on December 16, 2008

is anyone here pondering (upon acceptance) playing men's ice hockey...? jw

Posted by: cj hky 1 on December 16, 2008

hm. I was upset at first
but now I think i'm okay.
my friend with her mom, dad, and sister who were all MIT-ers got deferred.

so i can't really say that it wasn't hard this year.

yay deferrals!

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2008

I don't know why everyone's so happy about getting defered. It's making me doubt whether I can get into any college now.

I cried all through last night and this morning. Then I went to school late and little bit of normal and a lot of awesomeness (acappella groups and science classes) made it a lot better.

Posted by: Tiffany on December 16, 2008

Tiffany,
I felt the same way after you did after getting deferred. But after reading an article on what to do after getting deferred, it has only motivated me to work harder and get rid of my senioritis (which I've had since junior year). Let's all work hard and I hope to see you and others on campus.
Good Luck!

Posted by: Chan-Hee Koh on December 17, 2008

Look on the bright side! We get a second chance!

Posted by: Vincent on December 17, 2008

deferred :( but we get a second chance!!!!! now I'm going to send in my research paper which I somehow convinced myself I shouldn't submit smile GOOD LUCK TO ALL...hope we can be friends next year!

Posted by: prepre(13?...PLEASE) on December 17, 2008

You're learning a valuable lesson the accepted candidates aren't. Maybe you were deferred because MIT felt that was what you needed before you could come to the Institute. Of course I'm disappointed, but all I can say is I'm glad MIT considered me worthy enough to merit reconsideration. I like the sentiment here. Of course it may ultimately prove false but it's something.

Originally when I found out I was deferred, yeah i was a little upset but my theatre teacher has great advice which she gives us relating to casting (so this isn't a casting, similar philosophy), her advice is: "if you don't get the role you want, give yourself 24 hours to be upset and then get over it."

So we all scramble for a few weeks to finish up our other college applications, and then just sit back and enjoy senior year. As I've seen some of the bloggers say, senior year after applications is something to be enjoyed.

@Those questioning January SAT. I personally didn't have the greatest SAT scores (730, 750, 680--reading, math, writing). But I don't think I'm going to retake the SAT. My personal opinion is that it sends the message that you're obsessed wtih test scores. Which doesn't seem to be MIT's philosophy. But who knows I may do it anyway if I can.

Also: Look at it this way: ~10% of the EA pool is admitted right off, ~10% of the Deferred are admitted. Now granted we deffered probably make up somewhere around 50% of the EA pool, so about 15% of the EA pool gets admitted opposed to 10% of the RD pool.

@EC Norm:Thanks for the tips, and also your words really helped put a different spin on it. (Less of a resignation, more of a collected acceptance, particularly the part where you said: After last year's selection process, the Admissions Office said that they could have admitted three or four freshman classes out of the pool of applicants WITHOUT compromising the Institute's standards.

Posted by: Cooper on December 17, 2008

YAY for tube!

yeah smile Mommy, what's a tube?

A Special Message

Congrats to all Class of 2013. For those deferred and rejected, This has been a long journey EA suspense. Remember [Risk Taking] --never back down, never give up, never be afraid to fail. You have fallen, but you can get back up again. So, Keep on fighting--Keep on moving. I hope you will find your place in life. You hear that? Someone's knocking.

As for myself and many others, we are still applying, Regular Action.

"And so, the the baton is passed on from EA to RA; life goes on, another day passes. Here it comes--the final lap."

Posted by: Tube, himself, in person on December 17, 2008

MIT blogs are truly fun. Though we are deferred, a majority of us retains our hope. Even the sarcastic comments don't seem all that bad now. Posts under "not admitted" (ironic, aren't we not admitted as well?), even though very negative, are still fun to read. But anyways, good luck to all.

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2008

I'm trying hard not to care...ugh, look! A butterfly! Wait, it's snowing. The butterfly died.

Thanks Hughes.

@Midwestern White Males (and others blaming race): I hope you're all joking, although I can tell some are serious. MIT will hardly take you if you are simply an underrepresented minority. It's hardly a quota system. Look at other nations with quota systems. America is still the land of opportunity. Let's not blame MIT's admission board for this. The percentage of African Americans at MIT is less than the national percentage. (All of this junk is coming from a member of a grossly overrepresented ethnic minority. It seems like the West Coast has all of us Asians and sort :D)

Posted by: Rishi on December 17, 2008

Thank you so much brandon!

Posted by: deferred on December 17, 2008

ahh.......Deferred

I did not feel that bad, but my mom was like crazy. She ALWAYS belived (no matter how many times I told her that it was nearly impossible) that I would get in MIT in EA.

I knew a couple of my friends (international students) who want to apply for RA, and I am even more hopeless.

They are SO GOOD. (Though I am good, too XD).

And my midterm is AWFUL.

Posted by: ahh on December 17, 2008

Well, now time to study for my Linear Algebra final tomorrow afternoon. :-----
COMMENT:
AUTHOR: ditto
EMAIL:
IP: 74.4.247.109
URL:
DATE: 12/17/2008 07:26:32 AM
COMMENT_BODY:
As someone commented before, this is perhaps the first lesson we have to learn - regardless of whether or not we go to MIT. Your reaction, I feel, may be the defining factor, though. I think we must come to realize that rejection is a more powerful galvanizer than acceptance - and we didn't even get rejected. The problem is that we grow up in own little respective worlds, where the edges occasionally brush and the bubbles merge or split, but we rarely remember that our bubble is much smaller than the globe we live on. Even if you do have straight A's, perfect SATs or AP scores, or have invented something using the knowledge you gained through an independent study of mechanics, you have to see that it isn't always about intelligence. I think it's fairly clear that most of the applicants are very intelligent. I believe the issue has largely transcended the question of brilliance - you've got to look carefully at yourself and ask if you have ever felt OK being the second wheel. Part of life is coming to terms with knowing that you aren't, that you can't be the smartest person alive. It's no longer just about inherent smarts - it's about using your resources, both mental and physical, to envision and create. If you can't cope with a deferral, perhaps you should be questioning your decisions to apply in the first place: do you want to go to a college where you will likely be in classes with people both just as smart and even smarter than you? Someone has to get the low grades - what if it's you?

This, of course, is not to say that MIT isn't necessarily a good fit for you. I think that some dejection from a referral is appropriate. Every now and then we need to get jogged into perspective. In the larger scheme of things, test scores and grades don't speak for a person. The people we admire in our society are the ones who have likely faced disappointment time and time again; and yet, this disappointment can in turn refocus their eye and force a new outlook. Disappointment is healthy in the right quantities - we need the stimulus to pause our frantic pace for a moment so we can see to what we truly are racing. I'm sure that most of you chose to apply to this school because it is clearly a wonderful institution; I hope you also applied because you felt that the community there is a haven. Maybe this deferral is a chance for you to explore your life more in detail and examine your possibilities. My sense is that you must enjoy your work and trust in others before you can work most effectively as a student and in a team.

You started life with a myriad of jumbled puzzle pieces. It's your task to try to find their proper place. At this point, you've only filled in three quarters of the border. You're still laying your foundation for the rest of your life. There are so many more options than any of us can see. It's up to you to find the best fits for the last row. Just remember that if the piece doesn't fit now, it certainly isn't going to get better when you start putting in the middle.

So now, it's up to you. Take what you will from this - motivation, despair, renewed hope. Just please be grateful to know that we truly are lucky to be considered not once but twice by a great school. My many thanks go out to the admissions staff who have doubtlessly worked tirelessly time and time again to ensure that they make the best decisions they can.

Thank you for an amazing opportunity. I never would have dreamed this could happen even a year ago. Thank you, too, to the people who have inspired and humored me throughout this process by writing posts on all the updates. My best wishes go to you. Thank you again, everyone, for helping me see a little farther.

Posted by: Brandon on December 17, 2008

cj hky 1 - My son if accepted will want to play ice hockey. What position do you play?

Posted by: hockeymom on December 17, 2008

That was a LONGGGG post....you must be bored!!

Posted by: jamsandwich on December 17, 2008

@Those who expressed thanks for my earlier post:

You're welcome!

@Those discussing submission of new SAT scores:

Submission of new test scores CANNOT hurt you; it can only help you. The Admissions Office always uses the HIGHEST score for each test.

EC Norm.

Posted by: EC Norm on December 17, 2008

Can updates still be sent after January 1 (such as midyear grade reports which may not be available until then)? I was confused by the discussion about submitting January SAT scores since I thought nothing could be submitted after Jan 1.

@EC Norm - thanks for the helpful posts!

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2008

@ditto - smile

Posted by: Stephen on December 17, 2008

Over half of my friends and family have called me to find out if I got in. Even though that is really sweet of them, telling them the news may be the hardest part of being deferred. I suppose I shouldn't have expected to get in, though. Even my mom was telling me that I probably couldn't.

Posted by: Alex on December 17, 2008

Thanks Mom

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2008

@Anonymous,

The "deadlines" section of the web site says that you can take admissions tests in January, so long as you list the Institute as one of the schools to receive the results at the time of the test. There is not enough time to request that scores be sent separately after you receive them.

Also, it cannot hurt to submit an update after 01 January. If the update arrives before the application package gets evaluated, the staff will simply add the update to the package for consideration during the evaluation. If not, they can adjust the evaluation as appropriate based on the update or, if they judge the update not to be significant, simply ignore it.

EC Norm.

Posted by: EC Norm on December 17, 2008

I really don't like how much weight is put on extracurriculars. I'm not captain of everything, I've never had the opportunity to do research, and I haven't saved the world.

I participate in activities that I enjoy and that interest me. Yeah, they may not seem as impressive on paper as playing at Carnegie Hall or something, but they're what I'm into. Shouldn't my extracurriculars only be used to see that I DO them, that I have time for other things? Not how they appear on paper?

Also, let's face it, most "captain" and "president" positions in high school clubs are really only figureheads and don't do anything substantial...

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2008

Hey! Deferred as well.

How many of you were banking on just MIT? That's insane! I've had all my applications done before December!! It's a silly thing to do to apply to only ONE college, and have it be MIT nonetheless! A guy at my high school last year applied only to Peabody Institute of Music and he was SO sure he was getting in and didn't and now he's not even at community college.

But in any case, I'm rooting for the rest of you! Or not - 'cause I'm competing against you all. wink

Haha, have a happy holiday!

Posted by: Isabel Wen on December 17, 2008

@ hockeymom

I'm a goalie. my team is located in st louis, mo. we play just about everywhere in the central district, but unfortunately never get to go northeast

Posted by: cj hky 1 on December 17, 2008

@ditto - Just amazing--great. Well said AND Appreciated.

@ cj hky 1

My son plays forward for his high school in NH. He has applied to UNH, WPI and Northeaster which all have ACHA D2 teams as does MIT. He also applied to RPI, Dartmouth and Harvard which only have intra mural teams. Do you play high school or youth hockey or both?

My mom was originally from MO and still has family in Jeff City. I get out there occasionally.

Good luck to you.

Posted by: hockey mom on December 17, 2008

@Anonymous,

It really does not matter in which extracurricular activities you choose to participate. Rather, the Admissions Office is looking at your involvement in extracurricular activities for evidence of personal qualities that indicate how well you would fit into the Institute's community and environment.

Now, what sort of qualities matter? Qualities such as perseverence, self-discipline, collaboration as a team player, leadership, fairness, integrity, self-motivation, consistency, trustworthiness, and drive tend to transcend all that we do, both in the classroom and outside of it. Now, what does it take to become a captain of a varsity team? In many schools, this honor goes to a player who has developed a high level of skill through perseverence, self-motivation, self-discipline, and drive and who has the respect of the whole team as a good teammate and a de facto leader. All of these are significant attributes that the Institute seeks in prospective students. Of course, the same is true of an All-State musician or a Black Belt marital artist or an Eagle Scout. Most people who achieve any of these distinctions encounter injuries or other setbacks, requirements that prove to be very challenging, and other challenges along the way that they must overcome and through which they must persevere. An achievement in one activity does not count more highly than an equivalent achieement in another. Rather, it's the qualities that such achievements require, and thus represent, that really matter.

EC Norm.

Posted by: EC Norm on December 17, 2008

@hockey mom:

Harvard does have a varsity hockey team, though I don't know which division it is. It's one of the four teams that meet in the Beanpot Tournament every year.

EC Norm.

Posted by: EC Norm on December 17, 2008

@EC Norm

Harvard is a Division 1 team as is Dartmouth and RPI. My son is not being scouting by Division 1 teams. So, playing varsity hockey for Harvard or any other D1 teams is not an option. He's good enough for club hockey which is a good match with his academic goals and love of hockey.

How come you always hear how Americans are getting stupider, but it is harder and harder to get into college.

Also, I almost wish I get rejected so I don't have to choose where I go. But not quite. I hate waiting.

Posted by: anonymous on December 17, 2008

I have to agree with EC Norm on the extracurriculars topic. If so much weight is put on extracurriculars then how come I was deferred seeing as I'm captain of our school quizbowl team, president of two clubs and a member of at least three others?

Extracurriculars only say so much about a person. I felt that out of the whole application, my extracurriculars, grades, and SAT were not my defining factors. Sure they show I'm a leader or motivated or smart or whatever an admissions officer draws from them, but they don't really say who I am.

How many other presidents and vice presidents and captains and leaders applied to MIT? I'm not really that unique in that perspective. I feel that the essays and rec letters give the admissions officers the best sense of each applicant as a person.

Also, leaders shouldn't be figureheads. All the captains and club leaders I know at my school are capable and personable people who have been elevated because of their character, intelligence, and ability.

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2008

From what I know, each passing year more students are applying for admission to college, and the number of colleges and available slots is the same. As you can see this leaves a larger population of students (and a larger population of smarter students) all fighting for the same number of spots. In fact, my admissions counselor said that this year is the peak year for applicants, and next year the total number of applicants across the nation is expected to decrease.

Furthermore, with the internet explosion that happened over the past decade students and colleges are becoming connected more easily. A perfect example is Questbridge which helped a rather large quantity of talented but disadvantaged students connect with Princeton, Yale, MIT and other top schools. This connectivity and increase in information has brought students into the application pool that normally wouldn't have applied due to financial or other reasons.

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2008

@ hockeymom

ya, i play high school and for a local team. we play in the uphl, it's a new league in the central district. well all i can say s good luck to your son and hopefully i'll see him in a few months!!!

Posted by: cj hky 1 on December 18, 2008

@anonymous:

You said: How come you always hear how Americans are getting stupider, but it is harder and harder to get into college.

It actually is easier to get into college in the United States than it has ever been. Many four-year colleges have lowered their standards to the point where they will take just about anybody with a high school diploma or a GED in order to fill and expand their programs, often offered at satellite sites throughout the nation.

What has become more difficult, however, is getting admitted to academically elite colleges and universities. Several factors play into this phenomenon.

>> 1. The population has grown more rapidly than the colleges, so there are proportionately fewer spaces available.

>> 2. Many of these institutions have expanded their geographical outreach to recruit highly qualified students.

>> 3. Many of these institutions also have become very aggressive in recruiting highly motivated applicants from disadvantaged backgrounds.

>> 4. At MIT, the yield (that is, the percentage of admitted students who actually enroll) has risen more than 25% in the last four or five years. Thus, the Admissions Office has had to reduce the quota of admitted students to contain the actual enrollment at the level that the Institute's facilities and faculty can accommodate.

So we now have about ten applicants competing for every slot whereas we had about three applicants competing for every slot about three decades ago.

And there'e one additional consideration. As high school guidance counsellors now see that the lower quartile of the students who would have been admitted a decade ago are no longer competitive, they encourage students who seem to fall within that quartile to look elsewhere instead. As a result of several cycles of this, nearly all of the ten applicants competing for every slot today probably would have been in the upper half of the one in three applicants who actually gained admission three decades ago, and the bar for actual admission is that much higher.

So your observation is indeed quite accurate!

EC Norm.

Posted by: EC Norm on December 18, 2008

Anyone from the Pittsburgh region get deferred?

Posted by: Luke J on December 18, 2008

The EA round was really hard for my school this year. All I can say is it seems like I have to be thankful for joining the ranks of the deferred instead of the rejected because of the aptly named "Stanford Slaughter" that my friends are talking about. This is, after all, the largest graduating class in history, and probably the class with the highest rate of college attendance in history. To be considered at one of the most innovative and exciting institutions in the world amid such fierce competition is at least some consolation. I'm still counting down the days until March though.

Posted by: Jeff Y on December 18, 2008

In response to those moaning their deferral, you guys applied early to M.I.T., not community college, M.I.T. It is one of the most competitive schools to get into in the nation. What did you expect?
You can't go in applying to these colleges expecting you'll get in. You can, however, go in expecting and hoping for the best. I mean, to the girl who doesn't think she'll get in anywhere else, just because you got deferred from M.I.T., that doesn't even mean anything. You should be glad that you are one of the people that they may be considering as a potential student. At least you didn't get rejected!
Look at it this way, such a competitive school cannot take everyone. And regardless, there are schools that are just as good, out there, that may not be as competitive. And I'm sure you'll be able to get into those schools.

Posted by: 0 on December 19, 2008

Why does everyone assume that there are ppl who believed that they would get into MIT and therefore did not apply to other colleges? I don't think anyone was arrogant enough to gamble with his/her future. And when I say college, I mean the good ones that are at MIT's level: Harvard, Williams, Caltech, etc.

Posted by: Tiffany on December 20, 2008

@ Tiffany

Those aren't the colleges out there!
There are plenty of other colleges that you should consider that would be great e.g. Carnegie Mellon, NYU, etc.
Those may not be M.I.T., but I'm sure you'll get a great experience and learn a lot.

Everything is not about name. It's about what best fits you. For me, if community college was a best fit for me, I'd go there (it's not, that's kind of an extreme but you get the idea). If you make the most of wherever you go, it'll be a great school anyway, no matter what the rank is.

P.S. Graduate school is more important anyway.

Posted by: 0 on December 21, 2008

I meant...those aren't the only colleges out there...
not those aren't the colleges out there.

OOPS

Posted by: 0 on December 21, 2008

Just gotta keep our spirits high. We weren't rejected and we were only deferred b/c they couldn't except everyone RA. The chances are still there. Heck, I come from a tiny town in Arkansas where half the kids go to college and the other half stay at home. The college they do go to are the stupid ones we do have in state (minus U of A which is good)...but still, no one ever tries to live outside of the Southern bubble. So many people told me I was an idiot for trying for an almost impossible task---yet I've made it this far, despite the constant negativity thrown at me. I don't know anyone else who has applied to MIT around here, and I'm certainly the only one from my school who's ever tried, but that just makes me even more determined to succeed.
I've always had to struggle to take advantage of the limited resources around this place, and I've always dreamed of being able to go somewhere with extreme resources! And the diversity! It's just as much an experience to go there as it is a phenominal education! Amazing

And so have you guys! SO be proud of how far you've made it! And keep dreaming. =) Dreams start the journey of a lifetime.

Posted by: Kandi on December 21, 2008

@Jacob: That's mean. Does getting deferred make everyone bitter?

@Anonymous: Well what if I seriously think that MIT is perfect for me?

I would feel a lot better about getting deferred if everyone around me weren't getting accepted into the schools of their dreams. (I'm happy they got accepted, I just worse for myself.) I only spend 3 periods a day w/o an MIT'13-er in my class or hanging out w/ me.

Posted by: Tiffany on December 21, 2008

@cj hky 1
Yay St. Louis, MO! What high school?

Posted by: Zach on December 21, 2008

Well here's to another 3 months of waiting, ah well, I'm just happy to have a second chance.

I'm surprised that everyone at my high school who applied early action was deferred.

I'm just wondering what kind of people these colleges are waiting for. My neighbor works as a Harvard Rep, and she says they're just looking for unique kids.

Do you guys know if you can send in december SAT scores to be counted for the regular admissions process?

In the meantime, I'm off to the other apps. Good luck everybody!

Posted by: Theo on December 21, 2008

@Theo

Everyone at my school (quite a few people) who applied last year was deferred, and ultimately rejected in the regular applicant pool. I think MIT is looking for unique kids, but I get the feeling that its application process is not nearly as sketchy as Harvard's. MIT is more based on merit and accomplishments, whereas Harvard's can just be based on impressions or 500-word essays. And yeah, December scores can be counted for the regular decision process. Good luck with your other colleges!

Posted by: Anon on December 21, 2008

@ Tiffany

If that's the case, keep your head high. Know that you still have a chance.
And do as much as you can to make it come true!

And while everyone else may be getting into schools, you never know. You may just be the one who has the last laugh. smile

Posted by: 0 on December 21, 2008

Well, I shunned expensive SAT preparation classes and took the test only once because MIT's website told be that admissions does not differentiate between great and amazing test scores. I stuck to my interests and stayed away from brown-nosing resume-padding activities because MIT says they want to know the "real you". I could have made my application glitter with shallow accessories, but I abstained, because I believe that is a dishonest way to seek admissions. That said, I still had a pretty attractive application. I had better test scores, better grades and a similar athletic standing when compared with the people I know who were admitted. The sole difference is that those admitted had a laundry list of club activities that had absolutely no bearing on their interests.

I could have padded my application with irrelevancies, but didn't because MIT admissions wants to know the "person". And now I am paying the price.

Posted by: i believed in mit on December 22, 2008

@ i believe in mit

That's not neccessarily true. An overload of activities is equal to that of NO activities. They would be able to tell if you were just joining stuff to be able to make your application attractive. It's better in the long run to just be yourself. After all, it's the only way they would be able to know if you would be truly happy there or not. It'll be ok; don't give up the dream.

Posted by: Kandi on December 22, 2008

@i believed in mit
Have you not paid attention to anything the admissions office has said? It's a holistic approach... maybe your essay didn't hit the right nerve with the admissions office. Neither you nor anyone else can say for certain what your interviewer or recommenders said about you - and those are both huge components of your application. You can't say that the other people got in "because" of their "laundry list" of activities, because to say that this "laundry list" was, in fact, the "sole difference" between your applications is completely untrue and, to you, unknowable.
I, like you, took no prep course and took the SAT once. I dropped classes I didn't like (I only took 3 years of Spanish) in favor of those I did (I picked up non-honors Astronomy in place of Spanish). I've never had a tutor or picked up any activities I didn't like. I certainly didn't have a big long list of meaningless activities.
So, I'm afraid that you didn't get in because other people were either better qualified or were a better fit. To say otherwise is, frankly, childish.
Good luck in the RD rounds.

Posted by: '13 on December 22, 2008

Just because someone has a lot of activities does not make it a laundry list. Maybe they like to do lots of different things, and aren't trying to pad their resume. I have a friend who has great academics, test scores, and also does piano, boy scouts, art, and sports. That may sound like a laundry list, but he's played piano for 12 years, made eagle scout, and gotten all state in varsity soccer and track. He does all of this stuff because he loves it, not to pad a college app. I'm tired of hearing that people who do lots of activites, do them merely to get accepted to college. (In most cases) that is simply not true.

Posted by: 0 on December 22, 2008

I disagree, in most cases that is true. In rare cases, there exist people who are perfect.

Posted by: anonymous on December 22, 2008

@cj hky 1

I would definately play ice hockey if accepted to MIT. Hockey is definitely a lifestyle for playing it your whole life as well as living outside Pittsburgh. Go Pens!

Posted by: Matt Fennema on December 22, 2008

This is what I heard from my research mentor who has had numerous students go to prestigious schools over the course of 10+ years. He told me not to worry too much about getting deferred. He said that all it meant was the admissions board simply did not have time to peruse my application in particular due to the fact that they were overloaded with application, especially this year. So for those of you who are worried about being deferred, I think the right decision will be made in March and you should continue to strive to be the best and be yourselves. Good luck to all of us!

Posted by: Chan-Hee Koh on December 22, 2008

Wow Chan, If you want to believe that the Admissions Office didn't look carefully at all of the applications, I have a bridge and some swamp land to sell you.

Posted by: 0 on December 23, 2008

To Anonymous,
I never said that I believed it. I merely paraphrased what my research mentor told me because he knew a retired admissions director from MIT who told him the same thing. Isn't it perfectly reasonable that they might have not read everything completely? There were 5000+ applications which was nearly 1000+ more than that of last year.
Once again, good luck to all of us.

Posted by: Chan-Hee Koh on December 27, 2008