MIT student blogger Snively '11

Win Sam Stuff! by Snively '11

That, amongst other things.

Waaaaaaaah! You’ve moved on to ’13 already!? I don’t feel loved anymore! Waaaaaah!

Yikes guys, chill! You’re like, 2 months away from MIT, it’s time to accept the fact that another class is about to start applying. I know it’s fun to complain on the internet, I do it all the time, but it’s time to move on.

:)

Speaking of classes applying to MIT for next year, I got back from work yesterday and spotted a tour group making the rounds so I hopped in and joined them. It’s always nice to hang out with prospies and tell them how cool MIT is. I’d been on the tour for, oh, idk, maybe 2 minutes, when the tour guide stopped, had everybody turn around and said “Hey everybody, this is Snively. Everybody say Hi Snively!” There was a very confused “Hi . . . Snively?” from the tour group as I stood there awkwardly, not quite sure what to do with myself. The tour proceeded and I actually quite enjoyed myself despite the fact that half way through I broke my permanent retainer on an ice cream sandwich. Still trying to figure out what to do about that but for now I have broken metal chillin’ in my mouth.

I got back to my room and decided to spend some time exploring my external hard drive (a device which made losing my internal hard drive a couple of months back much less painful) and I found some fun videos that, unfortunately, have very little to do with MIT. But, through a great series of connections that I’ve managed to make, I think I’ve found a way to post all of the videos in such a way that not only do they tie back to MIT but they are all interconnected into themselves and form a feng shui of Youtube.

First: I was on Youtube the other day and on the featured videos was our friend Matt Harding with an all new dancing video!

Second: During CPW there was a certain hack that involved a certain 80s music video. Dan Sauza ’11 and I both realized that it would just be unfair to walk by this hack without a small tribute dance, which we filmed. As you can see, we’re just as bad at dancing as Matt Harding.

Third: Take note of Matt Harding’s location at 3:14 *cough*pi*cough*. . . Sam Maurer came to visit last year and he and Mason performed a lovely rendition of the Sad Sad Toaster song from http://www.songstowearpantsto.com (ignore Laura yelling that it’s boring).

I would like to take this opportunity to shamelessly plug this toaster video. It’s been entered into a contest and if it has the most YouTube views by July 15th then Sam and Mason win all sorts of stuff and get to help record a new song for SongsToWearPantsTo. Go ahead and blog it, share it with friends, and enjoy the toastiness.

On a sidenote, Interphase is getting ready to gear up. I can tell because there were an unusual amount of kids with parents milling around today. If you’re in Interphase and you’re ever bored during the weekend shoot me an e-mail and I’ll show you around. snively [at] mit [dot] edu

So long for now, I’ll try to come up with something else to blog shortly.

33 responses to “Win Sam Stuff!”

1. Hafsa says:

Hi Snively! :D

2. Victor says:

You can see Javi over in the corner in that last video just chillin.

Interphase is going to rule yeah!!!

3. Ivan says:

Hey Snively
    Nice post
    Were people looking at you guys strangely when you were dancing?
    Have you ever thought of making these types of video and posting them online?
    MIT probably has some funny things to show and film

@Ty
    Yes, eventually your myMIT does disappear. It was a tough day for all of us.

Snively….I just noticed- you like a bit like Sheldon! Seriously!

6. Chris says:

Whats goin on’ man?
    I appreciate your efforts in trying to make those applying for MIT; Its helping me stay on track. Trying to avoid procrastination at all costs, while maintaining an infinitesimal love for it.

Just a marginal note: that lemur was epic far beyond expression, in league with benny lava.

Good Luck with Applications Class of ’13
    Hopefully we get in.

7. Chris says:

make it easy for those applying*….lol

@Anonymous
    No! No I don’t! I even made a Flickr album to prove it.

Proof that I don’t look like Sheldon

9. Tamara says:

Your blog is still awesome. Just thought I’d let you know grin

10. Tamara says:

Also, waaaaaah!!! Why don’t you love us anymore!?!?!?

And good luck class of ’13!! The app is coming out soon, get excited!

11. Jeremy says:

Sorry Snives, but that album just made me realize how much you actually do look like Sheldon wink

12. Jeremy says:

Besides, what’s wrong with that?

13. Enas'12 says:

Snively I understand you’re a varsity pistol team member? So cool… Hopefully we’re team-mates in the fall…

Prospectives for class of ’13: I suggest you read the blogs posted here(although I didn’t lol, but that’s irrelevant, cause I regretted it later)…

Younger prospectives (and ’13 ers, if interested)… I have a few pointers on applying to college, etc. on my own blog if you want to check it out… The site for that particular posting is:

http://lifeuntilmit.blogspot.com/2008/06/college-info.html

14. Jeremy says:

I’m very happy with the amount and quality of attention we got. Thank you Snively, and all of the bloggers. Do just as well for the class of ’13!

15. Enas'12 says:

Follow-up: @Snively: Any idea when the blogger applications come out?

16. Karen says:

How did you manage to break your retainer on an ice cream sandwich? They’re SOFT!

I was at a party today and I was like ‘hey, do you get the internets?’ and the guy was like ‘what are the internets?’ and I was like ‘…52 days until MIT smile

So it’s totally fine that you don’t love us anymore. Kind of :(

17. Sam 2 says:

Ah, shish. When I read the title of the post, I thought we could win Sam Maurer paraphernalia.

Man, am I disappointed.

18. Ahana says:

Oops-the Anonymous that started the “Sheldon aka Snively” thing is me….posted it too soon.
    But really, Snively-YOU DO!!….infact I’m just watching it, and I can compare it to you Salem picture on this blog, and come out with a positive conclusion!

19. Ty says:

Hey, do… our myMIT disappear…?? =(
    (*dramatic music* Please… no… anything but that!!!)

20. Ahana says:

Sorry to double-post….the Flickr album just reaffirms the aforementioned conjecture!

It feels good. ’13s getting attention finally! *revels*

Ilyanep, Comrades in lameness, then! I’m obsessing about the app already. Aditi’12 has been bearing the brunt of my MIT obsession *hugs Aditi*

22. Haha @ Sam 2’s comment about Sam Maurer paraphernalia.

Someone should tell Spammy about this — he can start selling random things like old Post-It notes or leftover leeks, or whatever it is he’s eating these days, on eBay, then blogstalkers will pay exorbitant amounts of money for it, and it can finance his and Ruth’s chicken farming operation. And, I suppose, more important things too — like research and stuff.

(Side note: Really? There’s an “r” before the “n” in paraphernalia? That’s not pronounced very much, is it? Say what you will about French and its extra letters, kids, but at least when we have silent letters they’re mostly at the end of words. We don’t have random silent “r”s in the middle of everything. No seriously, I was in the US for about six months before I realized February wasn’t spelled Febuary.)

Also, hi Snively! I hope you’re having a good summer!

23. Kevin X says:

I am a ’13er!!! Thanks for including me in your blog posts =D

24. Ilyanep says:

As a ’13 prospective, I want the app to come out already. Am I ridiculously lame for that?

There is a secret contest online where you can win a Sam Maurer-related prize. I’ve been running it since sophomore year, although I have to admit that I’ve been a little lax in actually distributing the prizes.

Thanks for the hits, Snivs. I hope the cover song is fantastic enough to win the contest on its own merits, but at the same time I’m not above winning a contest to see who can be the biggest famewhore.

26. Emily says:

You play oboe!! Right? Or is that clarinet, in your Flickr thing? Woodwinds rock!

@Emily
    Clarinet, yep. I played it for eight years.

Adelaide! Glad to see that you still know English. I was a little worried that you would forget it in favor of French but I no longer worry.

My summer is going swimmingly, thanks for asking!

29. Hey Ilyanep…….Im a prospective ’13 too…..
    And don’t you worry , from what ive been reading here of the ’12 craziness is a way of MIT haha.I want the apps too!!! im having those goosebumps right now..

Ahh good Lord, Save me!!!!! And the others too!!!

see more of you guys soon!!

30. brain5ide says:

Clarinet… I played it for 3 years, and then, I haven’t played it for more than a year now(there was an exam in music school a year ago). Woodwinds seriously rock.

31. scanner says:

I was in that tour group!

I turned around and looked at the building behind us, which I assumed must be named the “Snively” building. And apparently said building was on roller skates. Then I realized that Snively was a person. Oh. I had actually remembered reading one of your blog posts, but otherwise I probably would have gone on believing that, and when I go to MIT I’ll ask someone where the “Snively” building is.

32. Tamara says:

Aww, Snively. At least the spam-bots still love your blog wink