Decisions

EA Decisions by Decisions

Some facts and figures to put it into perspective

In a year of record early action applications, 590 students have been admitted to the MIT Class of 2014.

There were 5,684 Early Action applicants this year, representing a 13% increase over last year’s record. The deep applicant pool, combined with a commitment to maintaining equity between early and regular action admissions, meant that only 10.4% of applicants were admitted. An additional 3,893 applicants were deferred to regular action, where their applications will be reviewed anew.

Dean of Admissions Stuart Schmill said, “The continued quality and increased depth of the applicant pool – both in what students are doing inside and outside the classroom – is simply astounding. The selection committee had their work cut out for them.”

The 590 admitted students come from 44 states and 445 different high schools. First generation college students comprise 14% of the admitted group, and 27% are members of underrepresented minority groups. Women comprise 47% of the admitted students.

The record number of applications can be explained by MIT’s mission and values, said Dean Schmill. “MIT’s excellent financial aid program and commitment to serving students from all socioeconomic backgrounds were attractive to families in these economic times.” Schmill added, “In addition, students recognize the value of science & technology-centered education, combined with a strong humanities program, to acquire the tools to succeed in the global economy.”

MIT’s non-binding, non-restrictive early action program allows students maximum freedom and choice. “We want the process to be as helpful and accommodating to the students as possible,” said Dean Schmill.