Extra! Extra! Read All About It! by Snively '11

Information concerning the 2009 freshman application!

73 responses to “Extra! Extra! Read All About It!”

1. Omar says:

It’s ok guys. Just read my guide for applying and get ready. You’ll have the next 6 months to write and apply. Any day now smile

2. renacat says:

I didn’t start on the application until at least September I think…it’s honestly not going to take you four months to fill out. Relax and enjoy your summer – if you can’t relax now you’re going to be a nervous wreck when decisions actually come out. Or, you could start thinking about who you are, what are the most important parts of yourself to represent in your application. Almost every college I applied to had a “whatever you want” essay, just something extra to show admissions who you are. You can start thinking about that…

3. kayla '12 says:

looks like we have some eager (future) beavers… i don’t think i even knew when the application was coming out. it’ll be okay guys. you really don’t need a few extra days of stressing about the app questions.
    MIT is sometimes late. like with the housing assignments (that was only half an hour though). but it’s MIT so we love it anyway looks like we have some eager (future) beavers… i don’t think i even knew when the application was coming out. it’ll be okay guys. you really don’t need a few extra days of stressing about the app questions.
    MIT is sometimes late. like with the housing assignments (that was only half an hour though). but it’s MIT so we love it anyway <3

@Anonymous about the editor
    This actually made me laugh. Sometimes I get defensive when people critique my writing but considering this was written in about 3 minutes last night at 2 AM, I’d say that the editor (what editor!?) probably does need to be fired. Unfortunately, it’s a JPG so I can’t just go change it.

5. Jeremy '12 says:

Yeah, it’s sad that made the paper. People are stupid.

Also, BE PATIENT! It’s not the end of the world, you still have PLENTY of time.

6. nickwasy says:

Princeton’s application, also promised by the end of July, isn’t up either. That’s even more suspicious, considering that all Princeton has to prepare is a small supplement to the Common App.

7. Alex says:

Don’t you guys see? This is a test for us. By delaying the application MIT and other schools want to discourage prefrosh that are not motivated to really go to MIT to give up now and not apply. This way the admissions rate will go up and we’ll have more chances of getting in :D. Yay!!!

8. Neal Patrick says:

Actually, it is a test, but not in the way you think. Only prospective freshmen who can hack their way into MIT’s computer system, find the application, and complete it, are admitted.

Seems pretty clever to me.

Good luck.

9. Ehsan says:

Phew.. thank god im class of ’15

10. Ann-on says:

This is fake

11. Alex says:

I was thinking of hacking into the system… :p Nut I feared that the mighty firewalls of MIT might melt my computer.

12. UKA says:

Okay, from being an obsessive layout editor on my school’s newspaper, this smells, no–reeks of being a fake. Snively! Why are you doing this to us?? XD

For one, if this is a broadsheet sized paper (with the section “Admissions”, apparently), there are probably five columns running horizontally across the page. If that’s true the title “admissions” is grossly off center. Plus there’s no byline or accreditation. What’s going on??

13. Barack Obama says:

(Reassuring tone and smile) Hope, my children. Hope.

14. Ehsam says:

What is up with the article on the Geneva drive?

That is like impossible to be a mistake.

15. Ehsan says:

@ Barack

Not trying to be rude or anything. But who do u think u are.

16. Ahana says:

So fake…lol! I’ve waited 2 years…2 long years…2 days is fairly negligible! Nice try Snively:P

@Barack:
    Thank you. *sniff*

@Snively:
    You hooligan! *shakes fist* Get off my lawn!

Snively you are hysterical.

The “it’s” that should be “its” hurts my eyes though. FIX IT NOW.

Snively you are hysterical.

<3

I’m confused – why would a paper shortage affect the internets? And how would these aliens survive on printer toner, considering that toner is deadly, as seen on the hit TV show House? Clearly I should auction my spot in the class of 2012 off for the ’13s – who’s the first bidder? smile

20. Dima '12 says:

Snively strikes again, too good!

Anyhoo anxious 13’ers, you’ve got four long months ahead of you to fret over your application(s) so I would suggest you take the last few weeks of the summer to plan your time ahead and generally think of what sort of information you would include in your application, oh-and have some late summer fun! There’s PLENTY of time left to worry, and PLENTY of legitimate reasons to, so don’t waste those emotions on a few days’ delay…

21. Alex says:

No that I’ve come to think about it… There IS something weird with that news report. It has no author below the title and it doesn’t say AP or location before the paragraph started… Nice one Snively.

@Obama… I’ll hack into the election polls and make your rival win if I don’t get admitted to MIT. So YOU have hope for ME. MWAHAHAHAHA

22. mettiyah says:

hmm, interesting.

I have a feeling they’ll release the application 13 days late . . .

:]

23. Tamara says:

I’m so glad to be done with application stress (now on to real MIT stress) grin

Good luck prospective ’13s!

24. Mgccl says:

Epic fail this one MIT…
    Now I don’t trust MIT anymore…
    unless there is something so big, even MIT can’t stop…
    but MIT can do anything… right?

25. Mgccl says:

One minute too late for the first “First” I can claim in MIT admission blog.
    Next time I should comment before reading the article smile

26. dollarsign says:

the unnoficial explanation is that admissions for the 2013 class are bribe-based. So, since there are so many rich kids out there, all the places are taken and there will be no more application grin

All I have to say is, if it took so long for some of the ’13s to figure out that this newspaper article’s a fake then that doesn’t bode well for their admissions prospects, now does it … :D

28. Alex says:

I’ve got an idea… Maybe they’ll release it on Friday…

29. kasey says:

Um…I think we’re all aware the article is fake…but regardless, the application is still late, and THAT’S what everyone is freaking out about.

I do like the ‘Barty Rogers’ reference. I wonder if MIT’s esteemed founder would appreciate the joke? One likes to think so.

BEN!!!

Don’t worry, Prospective ’13ers. Unless you were planning to work on the application straight from release date to due date, a couple days won’t hurt =).

32. Alex says:

But… I… was… planning to start it when it was released!!!!!!!! *cries in a corner*

33. Danny says:

Yep, that’s right, MIT is no longer accepting freshmen. Sorry ’13.

34. donaldGuy says:

@Snively: very nice work there. Does the third column or the bleed-through actually say something relevant or just generic? Also, is this a generator that I missed (it looks like one) or a custom job? More props, if the latter.

@Mgccl: hello.. I find your Drupal to be an interesting, but kind of scary place.

And now … sleep!

~Donald

35. José P. says:

Has this ever happened before?

36. Noelle says:

Wow I completely forgot about the application this past week due to new work stuff even though I had been anticipating it years. Princeton’s app isn’t online either. Hmmm…

Good one, but really…WHERE’S THE APPLICATION?!

37. Weezy Baby says:

Great MIT, just great!! I’m not applying anymore. I was looking forward to bragging that I finished the app on the first day; guess you guys screwed that up for me! Oh well, Harvard is better anyway.

38. Sneaky Snook says:

It seems that some top universities won’t be accepting freshmen for the Class of 2013 simply because it has “13” in it, and the Class of ’13 would certianly bring bad luck to ’em.

39. i wonder what could cause the delay. i mean they aren’t brainstorming for new essays right?
    hopefully, the delay will be worth it.

and thank you snively, caring for our anxiety

40. Burst says:

Can you get us how many people clicked on the get app link, Just wondering

@Weezy Baby: Actually, you can still do that. The app. hasn’t come out yet so when it does you can still claim that.

I really hope the app. comes out soon. Time is dragging on waiting for it.

42. Kasey says:

At least in a couple of years we’ll be able to say we were part of the unlucky class of ’13 (now that’s interesting…) who had to wait x amount of days for the app.

43. DEL says:

noooooo way!!! Although I want the application to be uploaded as much as you guys do, I totally think that article is completely fake, so just be relaxed, this is just a dumb rumor!!

44. Ghalib says:

So what’s with the link to the wiki article of “geneva drive?”

I mean, you could be trying to jam one and stop time, an effort I wouldn’t put past MIT, but….

45. shivendu says:

hope mit gets da application on as fact as it can..and pl..stop calling “13batch bad as 13 is an unlucky no…..

That newspaper needs to fire its editor.

@Lauren ’12
    Gladly. Here’s the link:

http://tinyurl.com/admissionsarticle

48. Elaina '12 says:

Snively, are you sure that’s a legit article? Either its not legit, and you’re having a really good laugh, or the writer is a sensationalist. Who titles their newspaper ‘Admissions…’? I’ve looked up these so called online social networks (‘YourPlace’ and ‘FootJournal’), AND THEY DON”T EXIST!!!!

I say this article is fake, but good job in finding/producing a fake article on real looking newspaper. I was convinced for a moment with the barely recognizable reverse print on the other side of the paper. But even that’s not completely real because on a closer look only some of the letters are backward.

Feel free to erase this response if it spoils the joke.

49. Eileen says:

Is it even humanely possible to finish the application on the first day? I’m sure MIT has a legit reason for delaying the application a couple of days…maybe Toto ate it…

50. Lauren '12 says:

I forgot to mention that i checked the article before i LOL.

51. Yuzhi '12 says:

I remember when the housing was delayed for 30 minutes, the facebook group wall had like 20 messages per minute. If you just posted and refreshed, you might not even see your own message.

’13 hopefuls: for now, just try to organized a info for all your extra curricular activities, your awards, and get a list of all the classes you’ve taken with the grades you received, and all your scores. Get them ready in one spot. You’ll finish the first part really quickly.
    I seriously recommend NOT finishing your essay in one day. Spend some time with it. The beginning of senior year might change some of your thoughts or have new things to write about.

52. nickwasy says:

ME ’12

Oh, now that you mention it, I did see the application on their page called “Downloadable Admission Forms & Publications.” When I saw that
    “Princeton Application Online” and “Download Application Forms (PDFs to submit my mail)” on the “Apply Now” page are not yet links, I assumed that the application was not up. Thanks

53. Alex says:

Oh, Snively… Next time you want to pull a prank on prospective students make sure that the “REAL” link does not say fake on it. I followed the link you gave us and I was not surprised when I saw an mit.edu followed by a snively shortly followed by fake. hehe you got caught.

By the way for people who don’t believe my awesome WEB powers here it is. And you cant say I made it cause it has a mit.edu.

http://mit.edu/snively/Public/fake/news/article/newspaper.jpg

54. Alex says:

Oh, and by the way. If you look close enough you’ll see that the paper has some pleads but the letters just stay flat.

55. DEL says:

I am not saying YOU were the one who made it, it could be the editor lying, I don´t really know, but is maybe just my big hope of getting in to MIT´s class of ´13 what makes me impossible to believe what that article is saying. All I know is that if that article is fake, it is a really cruel joke for ´13 hopefuls, but we´ll see later so, if it is a joke, is a really good and polemic one hahaha.

wow. i definitely started my application in mid september.

57. Alex says:

If they don’t post the application up by Monday morning I am calling MIT Admissions office from Puerto Rico even if AT&T charge me long distance fees.

58. Lauren '12 says:

@Austin ’12
    NICE!!! A very appropriate response.

59. ME ' 12 says:

YourPlace = MySpace
    FootJournal = FaceBook

get the play on

60. ME '12 says:

nickwasy

Princeton does have their essay and shorts out on their website – just not the commonapp driven supplement

61. C. Sarli says:

:D tomorrow!!

@Ben
    Fixed

@DEL
    Dude, I’m totally serious. It’s a legit article. Do you realize how good I am at finding stuff on the Internet?

63. Lauren '12 says:

@ UKA
    Your comment made me take a second look at the paper, and you’re right about title being too far over to one side. I’ve never seen a newspaper that didn’t centre its heading. Assuming that the ‘editor’ of this newspaper did centre it, then the paper starts to look more and more like an 8″ x something” sheet of paper.

@snively
    I like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Originally, i assumed you scanned this page. However, you claimed that you found it on the internet:

‘Dude, I’m totally serious. It’s a legit article. Do you realize how good I am at finding stuff on the Internet?’

Care to tell us the link?

Barty Rogers?

lol!

65. Nice one, specially about the aliens.Hah!

66. tube8 says:

interesting post thx http://www.imeem.com/people/sl5x0mo “>tube8 movies see you

67. debbie says:

hahahaha wow i guess when we look back on retrospect… its ONLY an application. my gosh, its ONLY august and i cant believe the prospective 13s are already panicking. i guess people really ought to take a step back and realize that its just a college application and nothing more… and the fact that its delayed like 48 hours isn’t going to change anything. haha but oh i guess its been a long time since.

Just as how this sealed the deal for you:

Undergraduates: ~~~
    Freshmen: ~~~
    Sophomores: ~~~
    Juniors: ~~~
    Seniors: ~~~
    Graduates: ~~~
    Faculty: ~~~
    Student to faculty ratio: ~~:~
    Blackbirds in Killian Court: 2

reading this entry and all 70 responses, sealed the deal for me. :D

69. JU says:

This isn’t exactly related to the blog (sorry ._.) but… is anyone else here applying with a major physics interest? If so where are you applying as safety schools? (Or “good chance”/”medium” schools?)

I’m trying to find out about other good physics programs as backups. Aside from MIT, Caltech, and Harvey Mudd, and the Ivies because I don’t really expect to get in any of them (Who can? Well, maybe if you’re amazing.)
    The thing is that I don’t want to go to a school where the program is too easy. I don’t want to have to take senior physics classes upon entering to challenge myself. What attracts me about MIT is that I can be challenged quite a lot by just passing out of 8.01 (got 5’s on both Physics C exams) and still be with people in my own year.
    I’ve heard good things about Carnegie Mellon’s physics. But is it really comparable to MIT’s?

70. Sehar says:

Heyy!
    I need some real help regarding the requirements of the application forms!I have searched the whole website but my questions are quite specific and anyone who is familiar with the requirements of the international applicants and especially the british O and A levels system can answer them!
    Could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me abt someone who could help me out!Someone who has time and can help me out soon so I can complete my Application!
    Please!Otherwise i’ll pull my hair and run out of the house screaming after midnight!I am sooooooo frustrated!Noone is ready to help or is familiar with my educational system!I dont khow what to do!