Fireworks over MIT’s Great Dome by Matt McGann '00

Fireworks and music and Dome, oh my.

As I noted two entries ago, MIT has a front row seat for Boston’s 4th of July celebration — one of the biggest and best fireworks shows around. And now, you can watch a excerpt of the fireworks over the Dome, online.

Thanks to MIT TechTV for posting the clip!

14 responses to “Fireworks over MIT’s Great Dome”

1. Wings '11 says:

Wow, the view is spectacular up there! I can only imagine what it’d be like from there live..

2. oasis '11 says:

Woah. This is the closest I’ve ever came to posting up on the top. =D

Brilliant fireworks!

3. Ryan says:

That’s “an excerpt” to you, Mr. McGann.

smile

4. Arkajit says:

Awesome clip! I missed the fireworks show when it was on TV, but this is really quite spectacular, especially the barrage of fireworks near the end. The music was the best part though smile

5. Eric Stoller says:

I think you just added another reason why I need to visit Boston during the 4th of July grin

6. Hawkins '12 says:

grrr, spam.

Great show! Good call, Ryan.

7. Rose says:

Hi Matt- Cool movie! I have a quick question regarding admissions…. Can a current MIT professor write a letter in support of an applicant? In other words, can a current MIT professor write an additional letter of recommendation for an applicant? (the applicant in question not being related to the professor, but having worked with the professor in a year-long research project)

8. Nickie says:

Awesome!! Thanks, Matt!

9. Hey Matt,

My mom was just told by another mom of an MIT 2011 that the tuition/fee payment due date has been changed from 08/01/2007 to 09/01/2007 at least for the freshmen. Is there any way to confirm this information?

10. MATT FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008

Marilee Jones is Dean of Admissions at MIT. A scientist by training, she joined the MIT Admissions Office in 1979 to lead the recruitment efforts for women. She has served on many national professional boards including the National Association of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC), the College Board and the Women in Engineering Programs Advisory Network. Marilee is the recipient of MIT’s highest award for administrators, the ‘MIT Excellence Award for Leading Change’, as well as the ‘Gordon Y. Billard Award’ and the Dean for Undergraduate Education Infinite Mile Award for Leadership.

As a national spokesperson on the changes in today’s college admissions climate, speaking out against the pressures it induces in both students and parents, she has been featured on CBS, National Public Radio and profiled in USA Today, the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal. She is the co-author of the book, “Less Stress, More Success: A New Approach to Guiding Your Teen Through College Admissions and Beyond.”

And most importantly, Marilee has just gone through the college admissions process with her daughter, and sees things in a whole new light…

13. Scott '10 says:

You can’t see it in this picture, but from the front hackers lit the dome in red, white, and blue. See the hack gallery entry here.