Friday Afternoon Props by Sam M. '07

Props to ten people/committees/inanimate objects that deserve props.

Here are ten people, groups, and inanimate objects that really deserve some props, and dare I say mad props at that, for genuinely improving my quality of life over the past 48 hours.

1. The Burton-Conner rooming committee, for doing a fantastic job with the in-house reassignment of over 100 freshman across nine floors, rarely needing to sink below third choice for any student.

2. Megan ’08 for introducing me to the song “Sunshowers” by M.I.A. “I bongo with my lingo and I beat it like a wing, yo”

3. J. P. Licks, the ice cream store of choice of many MIT bloggers, for playing “Holland, 1945” by Neutral Milk Hotel while I enjoyed white russian/chocolate chip twist soft serve frozen yogurt last night. “The only girl I’ve ever loved was born with roses in her eyes.”

4. Joe ’08, for inviting me to go aquajogging this afternoon. Joe is on the cross-country team, but had his little toe violently crushed by a small Jewish frisbee enthusiast two months ago, so he’s aquajogging in the Z-center until it’s back in running condition. I may not live through this, but it’s okay–at least I’ll have something to blog about from the afterlife.

5. Ben, for treating Mitra and me to lunch at Steam Cafe.

6. Some random lady at Steam Cafe, for revealing to me that you can get as much organic brown rice as you can fit on a plate for the low, low price of $.75. All those carbs should give me plenty of strength to aquajog tonight. EAT THAT, DR. ATKINS!

7. Sam’s Mom, for giving me a seven-minute “cellcert” of “When Doves Cry” from Clay Aiken’s Atlantic City concert.

8. Verizon, for letting you delete your voicemail without listening all the way through. My old phone didn’t have that option, and it’s useful when there’s a particularly long message that you don’t want to hear all the way through.

9. Daniela, for having a really pleasant conversation with me along the Harvard Bridge last night, even though I only introduced myself to her because I thought she was going somewhere with us. Actually, she just happened to be walking next to somebody in our group.

10. My plug flow reactor, for heating to exactly 250 +/- .5 C at 1000 psi today after three solid days of calibration. Now I can put turkey carcasses in you!

…and readers like you.

One response to “Friday Afternoon Props”

11. Sam, for running 5.1 miles with me this morning.