Green Monsters by Matt McGann '00

Giant celebrations in Boston/Cambridge last night for the Red Sox’ big comeback victory against the Yankees in the American League Championship Series. My friends and I had planned a West Wing season premiere party, but, really, as much as my friends and I love the the intrigue of the Bartlett White House, some historic things take precedent.

Yesterday was also the deadline to schedule the early action interview. What should you do if you missed it? Well, obviously, you first need to know who your interviewer is. If you don’t, you should call our office (617.253.3400) and we can tell you who that person is. Also, you need to contact that interviewer yourself. If you haven’t heard back from them, again, let us know.

If you’re applying for regular action, now is also a good time to schedule that interview. I’d recommend having your interview before Thanksgiving (and I’d advise Muslim students who are applying regular action to wait until after Eid, so you can have your interview on a full, nourished stomach).

And for those of you who have completed your applications, you may want to consider doing the “completely optional” essay (really, it is completely optional): “On a separate sheet, show us and/or tell us about something that you have created. This can be, for example, a design, a device, an object, an idea or concept, a piece of music or art.” Don’t fret too much about this; I wouldn’t have had anything to write about back when I was applying, and it is the first time we’ve asked this question. I’ll be interested to see how many people try to answer this, and what kinds of things they talk about.

A week and a half to the early action deadline! Good luck finishing up…

Current music: Dr. Dre, The Chronic

Not the same few colleges: The University of California at Santa Barbara. Yes, it is beautiful, but don’t forget that two of this year’s Nobel Prize winners were from here.