Halloween Preparations by Melis A. '08

First my birthday, then halloween!

Yes, it’s been a while since my last entry…much has happened. I am now the ripe age of 20 years old, after a weekend of birthday celebrations in New York City. I returned to Boston last Sunday (which happened to be my birthday), and what do you know? My train broke down! I spent a glorious 2 extra hours on the tracks, right outside of New Haven. I made the most of my time by studying for my neuroanatomy exam, but I was late for my birthday dinner at Kashmir, an Indian restaurant in Boston. =( But, then my friends threw me a birthday party, complete with incredible cake and people!

Anyway, tonight there was a pumpkin carving contest at Baker, my dorm. Check out two of the designs:

This pumpkin featured the Boston skyline (complete with a Duck Tour boat!)

And this pumpkin has the name of the dorm superimposed on a brick wall (every room in Baker has exposed brick walls.)

Ok, now I have to have a halloween costume by tomorrow night! Anyone have any brilliant, nerdy, creative ideas? in freshman year, I was a bubble bath (using a laundry basket as the tub.) Seriously. I would post a picture but why should I embarrass myself like that? How about this…whoever gives me the best costume suggestion gets to see me dressed as a bubble bath! Deal?

7 responses to “Halloween Preparations”

1. Jean says:

How about you go dressed as the Caltech cannon?

2. Adam says:

Just tape a bunch of old Problem Sets to yourself. What could be scarier than that? grin

Anyway, those are excellent pumpkin carvings! Thanks for posting them, very cool.

Ah, and happy 20th!

3. My costume is a white dress shirt (tucked in!), a pocket protector, and a pair of thick glasses. I don’t know how well it would work on a female, though.

4. Crystal says:

One word.. Cher.

Be Cher.

Crystal

5. Shahed says:

You could dress up as an electron orbital!! I personally like the dz^2 orbital the best because it looks the coolest, but whatever works for you. If you really wanted to shake things up, dress up as a hybrid orbital with a close friend and show your love for each other by forming a sigma bond! Have fun!

6. Adam says:

Heh, the Caltech cannon idea is genius, really good idea. However, I dunno if there will be enough time to make something like that. =
    I like James’ suggestion for its simplicity. It wouldn’t be hard to come up with the materials for that costume, and it would be quite funny.

I still think that dressing up as a problem set would be scary, though. grin

Shahed’s idea is cool, but its already tomorrow, and unfortunately I doubt Melis would be able to make something that cool that quickly.

7. Debbie says:

A box of popcorn….simple inexpensive. One big box covered with red and white striped paper or paint it red and cut white paper strips, use coragated border at top of box, wear red or white turtle neck and tights, cover top and shower cap with packing pop corn have a little extra to “spill” on the floor and you will be remembered.