Happy New Year! by Melis A. '08

A look back at 2006 and ahead to 2007

Happy New Year! It’s hard to believe that it’s already 2007. 2006 was the year of YouTube, iPods, gas for $3.50 a gallon, record-high temperature, Wiis and PS3s, the World Cup, penguins and pandas, eight planets, and changes of power on Capitol Hill.

At MIT, we learned more about black holes, established the new MIT-Madrid study abroad program, learned more about the brain, designed better wheelchairs, created molecular libraries to understand cancer and disease, studied addiction, made plans for a new graduate dorm, pioneered a center for synthetic biology, designed fuel-efficient cars of the future, observed subatomic particles, won Nobel prizes, proposed changes to the undergraduate curriculum, began large scale genetic sequencing, and more!

Check out http://web.mit.edu/spotlight/lookback-2006/ for a look back at the spotlights.

So what’s in store for 2007? Any predictions? Any hopes? Comment away!

27 responses to “Happy New Year!”

1. Hopeful says:

Yey first post!!!! Nice to know the great things than went on in MIT last year. Great post and a happy new year to you.

2. gasthi says:

Hmm.. hope i will be there in 2007 to witness the changes in 2007 & to participate in various activities which would bring positive changes…

Im keeping my fingers crossed.

3. Ben Williams says:

Yah I’m with you gasthi. However I have a sneaky suspicion that I will get in (hopefully). Either way I know I will have a great baseball season in 2007 and will hopefully get admitted to a college that will let me play. smile

4. Ben Williams says:

5. Jigar says:

I can’t wait to feel the MIT “Breeze” MMMMmmm…
    No matter which university we go to we will have fun! smile raspberry wink

6. Guyomar says:

Happy New Year to all. smile

7. Mo says:

I hope that the hunger for knowledge will stay so huge,
    (no matter wether I am admitted or not)- because it is necessary for our world to develop!
    And a political change in Europe…

8. Melissa '11 says:

PLUTO WILL BECOME A PLANET AGAIN.

The little underdog WILL get back into the textbooks.

… or not.

But hopefully 2007 will see the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I’m thinking a Halloween release, but we’ll see..

9. Shashank says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
    Hopefully in 2007 a boy called Shashank will enter MIT…I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish I wish!!!!….n then…whatever will happen..will happen…

10. Peter says:

I think 2007 would be a year of cold fusion application breakthroughs and more zero point energy applications debate/ research and hopefully, a new president who believes in negotiation and peace. But really, I think there is just going to be more social unrest… =(

11. Daniel says:

Hmmm, I think most of us believe in negotiation and peace, up to the point at which it affects our personal safety (or, if we are the president of a country, our national security)…

12. Qiji says:

Happy New Year to you and your friends and family

13. Sarah says:

OMG Melissa, I’m so with you. I hope Harry Potter comes out and I’m shooting for 10/31 as well! Happy New Years everyone!!!

14. Jennings says:

I hope to make a GREAT score on the SAT.

15. Daniel says:

“I like to believe that people in the long run are going to do more to promote peace than our governments. Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.”
    – Dwight D. Eisenhower

16. Elizabeth says:

I think it is predictable that we all want to get in in March. But there really is so much more that will happen. I personally am excited for a Vietnam trip. Well, excited doesn’t quite cover it, but you see? Well…ok, the trip is AFTER MIT admissions decisions are released, so it’s kinda’ hard to look forward to, but I do! I really do. So try not to think about it so much. And instead kinda’ stand back and…
    be amazed at all the things that have changed in the past few years- our kids are going to think we’re so old when we talk about the 9 planets that we learned in 1st grade!

17. Ying Wei says:

I hope that MIT will admit more international students. smile

18. Sarab says:

I hope that MIT will admit me, (to it’s eternal sorrow! (grin!!)) And that I get to read Harry Potter and………………………………
    The list’s really too long!

19. Germany says:

Hopefully next year will be just as much fun as the old one had been – our last year in high school was just so cool. Nice teachers everywhere. And maybe some of you´ll visit us once in a while, I hope after the world cup some people have changed their mind about us and view us in a different light

20. bhushan says:

Hmmmmmm……………..
    njoyed

21. pennutty says:

Hi,
    Iam a 11th class student from kerala…I would like to join in mit for aerospace engineering on year 2008…But i don’t know what to do…I decided to clear SAT mathe matics level 1 and SAT physics and TOFEL…But i dont know how to prepare for these exams…Can you please send the topics for these exams and what i have to do after clearing exams for the admission..

and i would like to contact you my email id:[email protected]

22. Alyssa says:

For all you Harry Potter fans…

Since when has JK done a schoolyear release? I’m betting on 7-7-7 (July 7th, 2007). Either way, I’m soooo stoked to read the last novel.

What else for 2007? I’m hoping for an MIT acceptance letter… (please?) But honestly, I just hope this next year is the best one yet, no matter what happens with college decisions!!

23. abhi says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR

24. abhi says:

HAPPY NEW YEAR

25. Happy new year to you and all your friends at MIT,
    May 2007 be a year full of hacks and discovery.