IAP, and trivia answers by Matt McGann '00

IAP begins tomorrow.

Tomorrow is the beginning of MIT’s Independent Activities Period (IAP)! IAP is one of the most fun times of the year. It is a time where students have lots of freedom and unique opportunities. Some students will do an externship, some will learn a language, some will do research, some will build a Stirling Engine, among the many options.

A couple IAP events tomorrow catch my eye. They are:

The History of the Universe in One Hour
With a cosmic flight simulator, we’ll take a scenic journey through space and time. After exploring our local Galactic neighborhood, we’ll travel 13.7 billion years back to explore the Big Bang itself and how state-of-the-art measurements are transforming our understanding of our cosmic origin and ultimate fate. If you have questions about dark matter, dark energy, black holes, parallel universes or other things cosmological, this will be a great opportunity to ask them!

HIV/AIDS in Africa: An Open Dialog About the Needs in Developing African Nations and the Role of MIT Students
The resources needed to adequately respond to the health issues in Africa range from financial assistance and personnel to IT infrastructure and training. We would like to conduct one or a series of on campus seminars during IAP presenting the health and human rights issues as they stand now in Africa, what is being done to change them and what role students (in particular MIT students) can play. We would hope this would be more of a dialogue than a lecture with students taking an active part in the discussion.

I’ll try to note some of the more interesting events as IAP progresses.

Also, I asked in a recent entry two trivia questions about early action. Here are the answers:

1. In order, what were the five most popular home states for admitted students?
California
Massachusetts
New York
Texas
Florida

2. What was the most popular male name and the most popular female name of students admitted early?
Daniel (9)
Stephanie (6)

Happy IAP!

31 responses to “IAP, and trivia answers”

MIT requires the second evaluation to be from a humanities or language teacher. If the applicant has no such teacher available can she use a second teacher from the math or science disciplines? Will it be a negative for the applicant? The history teacher who was to write the rec has taken a leave and the tracker shows the rec is not processed. At this late time the only teacher available to write is not humanities. And what if the history teacher’s rec arrives afterall, is that a problem?

2. Matt! says:

Matt! How could you betray me and all the other Matt’s out there by admitting more Daniel’s than Matt’s?! It’s a tough world out there, those such as you and I and many others who were blessed with the name Matt must stick together. Our name, the name Matt, represents us to the very fiber of our being. As you are a director of admissions it was your duty and responsibility to stand up for your fellow Matt’s and make sure that we lead the pack in MIT admissions.

Haha, by the way, I’m just kidding about all this.

3. Hi Matt,

Does MIT require a Mid Year School Report from International Students? Thats because the form said that it was for US. students only. Or is therea different form we could use?

4. Dhrubo says:

Matt,

I have sent my application via DHL, and it was recieved by M DIAMOND(or at least that’s what the DHL tracking site shows). It was received on 27th December, yet not even my PIN no. was sent to my email account! Its 10th Jan, almost 2 weeks!! Pls advise.

5. Sam T says:

How about all the Sams in the world, don’t we too deserve a chance at MIT?

If I don’t make it, I’ll be glad that MIT has at least one Sam. Represent the name well Sam, if I don’t make it you might the only one.

Let’s take a moment and think about all of the Sams of MIT; past, present, and future (hopefully me).

OK on another note Matt, when I visit MIT at the end of this month you think I can talk to the admissions committee or will you guys be too busy?

6. Jon says:

ouch… How many from New York? My interviewer emailed me that 12 people from Western New York applied EA and all 12 of us got deferred. I’m assuming the city did a little better. I’m still here though, arent i? Been a little behind on reading…

7. Adam says:

Hey… about the most popular states. Maine kicked so serious booty (per capita that is)

We’ve got 3 reps from merely a 1.3 million population. AND THAT POPULATION INCLUDES TODDLERS, ADULTS, AND SENIOR CITIZENS! You gotta respect that!

Hey Sam, I don’t work for MIT admissions or anything, but I did check out my E3 or W2 or I81 or whatever card and I didn’t see anything about having the name “Sam” affecting my admission in any positive or negative way… so don’t worry too much.

9. mugho pine says:

“CA, NY, MA, TX, FL

Dan/Daniel and Steph/Stephanie?”

So I reversed NY and MA… still pretty good, no?

I wanted to know what are the most popular home contries of international students admitted?

11. Victoria says:

IAP sounds fun. Unfortunately, I won’t get to find out if I will be able to join it until April. grin

Go California! grin I’m glad many were admitted early. Hopefully there will still be space for regulars.

I’m sort of surprised the male name didn’t start with M. There are a lot of Matts, Matthews, Michaels, and Mikes running around out there.

12. Drew says:

“ouch… How many from New York? My interviewer emailed me that 12 people from Western New York applied EA and all 12 of us got deferred.”

Hey Jon, I’m another one of the 12 from WNY, i’m actually surprised there was only 12. Hopefully we’ll get some good representation during the regular action selection because odds were for 1 or 2 to get picked, but oh well. Things have a way of working out in the end, good luck.

13. uren says:

if i ever get into MIT, i’ll be the only Uren!

14. Felipe Jos says:

Hi, I am Felipe (Brazil applicant). I would like to know about deadline for financial aid materials. For international applicants is the same date (March1)?

Thanks

Felipe

15. YeSeul says:

Hey Matt. Do you know when you guys are gonna post the date of CPW and all that information on the myMIT portal? If it’s not anytime soon, could you tell me the apprx. dates? Thanks smile

16. Daniel Suo says:

I must say, Daniel is a good name to have :-p

Go figure that the judges of God would wind up at a tech school.

17. Sam T says:

Matt do you think I should hold off my visit until IAP is over? I mean can one get the true MIT experience during IAP?

Oh yeah, I have one question regarding financial aid.

Is it necessary for me to send in a CSS Profile before the admissions decision is made?

Oh yeah, just what exactly is a priority deadline mean in terms of the CSS profile? Is it the last date or is it the prefered date?

18. zoogies says:

“CA, NY, MA, FL, TX”

Well, I got all the states right.

19. Steven Lu says:

Adam, Massachusetts probably has the highest acceptances per capita

20. Masha says:

I wonder how many masha’s were admitted… I’m used to being unique, but at MIT, you never know…

21. Stephanie says:

Hey, I’m a Stephanie! I don’t feel so unique anymore… (But I’m still veeery happy that I got into MIT EA!)

22. Dan says:

Hey Matt. I’m Dan, I’m a junior, and I’ve left a few comments on here before. I have a question. This is not an exaggeration. I have not heard ONE reference to any science fair since the 9th grade required science fair project. What am I missing? I live in Bristol CT, and are there actually zero science fair type things going on around here? Let’s just say on my application this coming year, I have no references to any science fair, and in turn no science fair distinctions or awards. Is that really bad? Would you say the majority of the MIT applicant pool has parcipated in events like these? I only have in-school distinctions like science honor society and captain of the math team type things. Thanks in advance.

23. MJ Kamalov says:

The Feynman lecture was cool, as well as the history of the universe. I especially like the map on professor’s computer and the song that he put to cheer us up smile

24. shikhar says:

hey matt,

good to see u guys are enjoying at IAP. You know this is why MIT can never be a boring place.

Sometimes I just wonder how do guys manage everything there..I mean there’s so much to do.

25. uren says:

int’l students have yet got to be accepted in the regular round so u’ll have to wait!

26. Dan Jang says:

I wonder if the most deferred students are also Dan and Steph

At least I had all of the states right!

They were just, you know, in the wrong order. Pffft. Who cares about order?!

28. Matt,

Just out of curiosity, what does an E3 summary card look like? By that I mean, what are the fields on the card that a reader fills out when he/she writes a summary? Is that privleged information, or can we see a copy of a blank E3 card?

29. so i said

“1. NY,NJ,PA,MA,FL

2. Sam, Christine?”

3/5 and 0/2

^^

why didn’t you admit more jersyans?!?! it’s a crime…

30. Jon says:

I’m from NY. April, you should know by now NJ does not count as a state. It’s just been functioning as one in legal terms because they are too lazy to do anything to change it tongue laugh. I want to see IAP, but I have midterms / finals (for semester-long classes) in 2 weeks and I dont think I can skip those. No time now :-(.

31. EXCUUUSE ME??????

I’ll have you know that I am very proud of my state!

it’s a crime how NY claims things taht are actually in NJ, such as the giants, the jets (you can have the jets though), and the statue of liberty!

NJ rocks