Keri G. '10

Jul 26, 2010

In which I screwed up a lot

Things you should not do on Athena, not even accidentally, because it will wreak havoc on any link you have made to anything in it ever ever ever: Delete your Public folder. Even if you try and fix it two minutes later and create a new Public folder and put everything back in your Athena locker, the damage will still be done.

So here's a lesson for you: never delete your Public. NEVER DELETE YOUR PUBLIC. If you are trying to delete an item in your Public that you do not want there anymore and you have done this a thousand times before and twelve times already that morning, you will probably accidentally delete the entire folder anyway and then you will be made of fail and then the little voice in your head that mocks you all the time will point and laugh at you for ten million years.

JUST THOUGHT YOU SHOULD KNOW.

Anyway, half the photo posts on my blog are full of broken links. What up, guys. I got a degree from MIT and it has taken me two months to figure out how to fix my broken blog. I am working on fixing this, anonymous person who probably got assigned to Senior Haus in the housing lottery and then sent me an email asking to fix the links in my posts about the dorm.

So yeah, I'm working on it, guys. In the meantime, take this picture of a drawing of a Slowpoke as a token of my affection.

_MG_1219

Edit: Fixed! Alex '12 is made of awesome. Also this was fixed by a one-line Athena command that I have totally used before and definitely knew. Um. Yes. Definitely.

(Learn your way around Athena, guys. It's super useful.)

I take it the difficulty has been actually restoring everything? The "OldFiles" directory in your locker contains a copy of your locker from the night before, so the easiest way to restore your Public would probably have been to make a copy of OldFiles/Public. (Since it sounds like it's too late for that, you might be able to get IS&T to restore stuff for you by emailing accounts@mit.edu, but I've never tried.)

Posted by: Alex Dehnert '12 on July 26, 2010

Alex -

Yeah, that's what I did immediately, so everything is back where it should be and the links are the same, but for reasons (somewhat) unknown, none of it will show up. The issue is that I deleted the folder itself, and now for some reason Athena is all like "YO HEY WHAT UP NEW PUBLIC FOLDER you are just like any other folder thekeri created and not everyone can automatically view and access everything in you! Also no you may not have a sandwich for lunch! HAHAHAHAHAAAAA"

And IS&T *might* be able to fix that, but I feel like there has to be a way to do that yourself.

Posted by: Keri on July 26, 2010

Oh. Heh. Right, sorry, I forgot about that issue. From any Athena prompt, run:
athrun consult fsr sa /mit/username/Public/tmp/ system:anyuser rl

Sweeeet. Thanks!

Posted by: Keri on July 26, 2010

If anyone is interested in what the permissions command did, IS&T has a nice reference here: http://ist.mit.edu/services/athena/afs#acls

Athena runs on the Andrew File System (AFS), which is a bit different than most *nix filesystems.

Posted by: Isaac '13 on July 26, 2010

Ah yes... the powerful rm...

After losing over a year of photos, I now triple check its syntax before using it.

Posted by: David on July 26, 2010

Yeah, been there done that. Stops your heart there for a little bit.

Posted by: Snively on July 26, 2010

I'm prone to forgetting that the sweet safety net of alias rm='rm -i' doesn't extend beyond my machine.

Posted by: Rachel '12 on July 26, 2010

@Rachel: It is safe but I got tired of prompts very easily.

@Keri: Thanks for fixing the Senior Haus post. I was assigned there but could only find few photographs of the inside.

Posted by: martin '14 on July 30, 2010