Chris Peterson SM '13

Mar 25, 2011

It’s Friday, Friday…

Posted in: Best of the Blogs, Life & Culture

Late last week one of the bloggers was talking about her spring break plans. They were all very exciting, with lots of travel and warm weather and such. Then she asked me what my plans were for the break. "Work," I said. Her eyes glazed over. "Oh...right," she said. "This is your job."

Yep. The students here at MIT may be on spring break, but the office is still rolling full tilt into the spring. The registration deadline for Campus Preview Weekend was yesterday, and we're already expecting more students to attend than ever before. And I'll be working with the web team tomorrow on some cool projects we have in our admissions labs right now.

But even though I'll be working on the weekend, it's still Friday; and even though we're not on spring break, we can still have fun.

Por exemplo:

One of my friends here in the office is Mikey Yang. Mikey is an MIT alumnus (Course VII, '05) and sang with the MIT Logarhythms when he was a student (fun fact: he was also a featured soloist on two early Kidz Bop albums! See if you can find them in the archives!) Mikey, as you can see from his blog profile, is a happy dude, and full of smiles.

But he hates Friday. Not "end of the week" Friday. This Friday:

Like everyone else in America the office was captivated last Friday by this Friday. But not Mikey. I'm not sure whether it's the grating autotune, or the terrible blue screen, or the creepy adult man inexplicably injected into the video, but Rebecca Black is Mikey's kryptonite. In his office he drew a big "REBECCA BLACK FREE ZONE" sign on the whiteboard and left the room whenever we began replaying it.

So last night, after working late, I made this poster, printed it out on 11x17" glossy paper, and affixed it to his external monitor so it would be the first thing he saw when he stumbled in bleary-eyed and sat down at his desk the next morning:

Unfortunately, I wasn't there when he arrived today, but some others in the office were; the words "uncontrollable shrieking" may have been used to describe what happened next.

And later, when I popped grinning by Mikey's office to ask him how his morning had been, his normally sunny face was still overcast in my general direction.

At first, that is.

Then we talked about this slow loris holding a tiny umbrella:

And all was well.

This is a life lesson, kids. Whether you're at work or in school, on break or in the office, and whether or not it's Friday (any kind of Friday), you can always take the time to relax and have a little fun.

...funfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfunfun...

DISLIKE

Posted by: Mikey on March 25, 2011

haaaaaaaaaaaa

Posted by: Jess on March 25, 2011

lollercopter

Posted by: lolz on March 25, 2011

hahaha....too funny! lol

Posted by: Joy '13 on March 25, 2011

I LOVE SLOW LORISES. It's a shame they're endangered and hunted as pets. Then they pull out their teeth D:

Posted by: Trevor on March 25, 2011

O.
M.
G.
LIKE.

...slash DISLIKE.
...
i don't even know...
FUN FUN FUN FUN

Posted by: Jenny '13 on March 25, 2011

"tommorrow is saturday and sunday comes afterwards"... lmao worst lyrics everr written. and her voice! shudder

Posted by: t on March 25, 2011

@ Mikey: I'm with you. I cannot stand the song and my friends know better than to even hum the tune anywhere within my hearing.

I'll admit though, Chris that was freaking epic :D

Posted by: Quynh on March 25, 2011

Bhaha. My school's Science Olympiad teams were meeting today, and kept annoying each other with this. You haven't heard this song until you've heard it sung by an adult male who has no idea what the words are.

I kinda want to make that poster now for a "friend".

Posted by: Matt Soucy on March 25, 2011

If Rebecca Black came across this blog I don't think she'd find it funny.
But then again, I don't think she goes through the MIT website too often wink

Posted by: Today'saSaturday on March 26, 2011

FUNFUNFUN... :D

see IS ABSOLUTELY AWFUL raspberry

Posted by: '15 on March 26, 2011

LOL - should've known it was you, Chris. poor Mikey...

Posted by: Hamsika '13 on March 26, 2011

Haha, Chris, I'm kind of scared to do info sessions with you now... good thing they're not on Fridays.

Posted by: Yun '13 on March 26, 2011

My family owns at least 4 of the KidzBop CDs (the first 4...really, they went way downhill after that raspberry). Which songs did Mikey sing?

Posted by: Tessa '15 on March 26, 2011

Hahahaha I love this post

Posted by: Daniel on March 26, 2011

I LOVE THAT SLOW LORIS VIDEO. It makes me dissolve into "awws" and baby talk. But, seriously, what day comes after Sunday? Rebecca Black never let me know. Is it Thursday again?

Posted by: KW on March 26, 2011

"Which seat can I take?"

Seriously??

Posted by: Alexandra P on March 27, 2011

Chris, are you learning Portuguese? I'm just curious about this "Por exemplo" in the middle of the text! Haha

Posted by: Lucas '15 on March 27, 2011

Too Terrible.......

Posted by: Bhaskar on March 27, 2011

lol yes, Hamsika got to witness my reaction firsthand...she was here for a meeting when I walked into my office and saw the picture of that devil-child. TOO SCARY AND AWFUL!!!

Posted by: Mikey on March 29, 2011

"tomorrow is Saturday and Sunday comes afterwards".
Most epically sad lyrics ever.
How many syllables in "Fri-ee-day"? smile

Posted by: anonymous on March 29, 2011

I'm with Mikey.

Just sayin'.

Posted by: Keri on March 30, 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU1v_XKgEPc

this cover makes it tolerable.

Posted by: Melanie on April 2, 2011

This is the first song ever to give me an actual headache each time I listen to it.

Posted by: Piper on April 3, 2011