MIT student blogger Bryan O. '07

jetsetting by Bryan

i saw a flying pig.

So this weekend I managed to visit two time zones and five airports. In between the airports and time zones is the real story.

pigflies.jpg
A Flying Pig…no joke :^)

So as of yet, you have not been introduced to my best friend, Rob ’08, but this weekend, I managed to make it out to Ohio to visit him for his 20th birthday.

Before I made it there, I experienced my first ever flight cancellation. Basically, I was waiting to make a connection and decided to walk around the airport, and apparently, I’d ventured out to the dead zone when it came to cell phone signal. When my cell phone came back to life, I had a message from the friend who was going to pick me up at the airport. The message said, “I don’t know if you know this, but your flight has been cancelled.” I didn’t want to believe it, but it was true. So I walked around the airport like the bird in the book Are You My Mother. There were no more flights, but I didn’t give up hope.

The next morning I managed to get a flight out, and I was off to Cincinnati, Ohio. It was a good surprise; Rob didn’t know I was coming so we spent the day catching up about our summers and EATING.

First Stop:

Skyline Chili

Skyline is a Cincinnati original. There I had a 4-way which is a spaghetti covered with chili, onions, and shredded cheese. Twas tasty.

skylinechili.jpg

Stop #2:

Graeter’s Ice Cream – Oprah’s Favorite Ice Cream

graeters.jpg

I didn’t know this was Oprah’s favorite, but I could see why.

After getting our fill of food, we went to the Cincinnati Reds game where they actually won a game for once.

Highlight of the Game: When the mascot did the Napoleon Dynamite dance, suh-weet.

After the game, we just kinda hung out for a bit because I was leaving the next morning for the Lone Star State.

My less than 24 hour visit home was filled with visiting family that really thought I’d lost weight, showing my mom the t-shirt I bought in her honor, and the MIT ’09 Summer Sendoff.

It was a good party; some alums from the area made it to the party as well as most of the incoming students from the area. One of my friends from high school, Pam, is one of 09s from my area. AWESOME.

sendoff.jpg
Zach, Scott, and Pam

After mingling, eating cake, and all that jazz, I took my mom’s new car for a joy ride. She was clearly a little hesitant to hand me over the keys when I asked her which pedal the break was (I don’t drive in Boston).

And now, it’s Tuesday and I’m already back in Boston. Today, I proclaimed it Beaver Day, and Tim the Beaver did see his shadow, so there are only two weeks of summer left for me, but this summer has been a good one. I’m kind of excited to be getting back to school and all that jazz.

What about you guys? Any last hurrahs before summer ends? 09ers, are you ready?!?!?

2 responses to “jetsetting”

1. Pam says:

I’m ready!!! smile What a horrible picture of me… Oh well…

2. Stephanie says:

Oooh! I know Scott from that picture!

-Stephanie