MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

Kresge Info Session by Mitra L. '07

Come integrate MIT, at least for an afternoon.

MIT Admissions officers travel across the country during this season and try to visit as many regions as possible to deliver presentations about the Institute. It’s a challenge to convey MIT’s vibrancy in a powerpoint presentation thousands of miles away. I remember hearing talk around the office about a slideshow of MIT images or clips of MIT music to help create an MIT-ish atmosphere in another city. For the students who live nearby, however, we don’t have to work quite as hard. MIT invites local students and their families to campus for the day, and Admissions people deliver the presentation in Kresge Auditorium.

No, your eyes do not deceive you. Kresge is 1/8 of a sphere. I once walked by it and remarked to a friend, “Let’s integrate it!” (Calculating the volume under the Stata Center might be slightly more difficult.)

Here is where students will hear Marilee Jones, Dean of Admissions, speak about MIT:

Here is where families will mingle with each other and devour delicious cookies after the info session is over:

The reason I know all of this is Dean Jones graciously invited me and Brian ’06 (not to be confused with Bryan or Bryan ’07) to speak at the event. We will highlight student life, student activities, sports, research, and lots more. I look forward to meeting everyone who will be there (here)!

In the meantime, I’m off to a greasy brunch with some Course 14 friends at Sunny’s Diner!

5 responses to “Kresge Info Session”

1. Mollie says:

I have to confess that I, too, have occasionally wanted to integrate Kresge.

2. Tommy says:

Yes, I do believe that the last MIT session I attended was rather weak. I would have rather seen the students’ aspect of the University like homework, classes, and dorms.

BTW.. nice pictures.

-tom

3. Tommy says:

BTW.. nice pictures.

-tom

4. zoogies says:

Hi,

Just curious, were you at the MIT information session last September? I was a high school junior last year and went to Kresge, and two students spoke to us about something I’ve completely forgotten. The only thing I remember clearly from that day was Marilee Jones accidentally misquoting the appropriate SAT score range as 780+, and everyone in the auditorium flipping out.

5. Mitra says:

Yup, I spoke at last year’s too raspberry