MIT student blogger Laura N. '09

Let it snow by Laura N. '09

What I did today instead of sleep for 29 straight hours.

Today was going to be my sleep day. I was going to go to sleep on Saturday night (ok, so it was actually really early Sunday morning) and sleep through until 9 AM Monday, when I have to get up to get ready for my first class of the week, and in so doing I would catch up on all of the sleep debt that I’ve accumulated over the course of my entire life. Unfortunately, I woke up around 1 PM anyway and was about to go back to sleep when I heard April the Californian open the shade above her bed, look out the window, and say something about the winter. That’s how I knew that it snowed.

So of course I had to get up and open the shade above my bed, and this is what I saw:

Very pretty, isn’t it? =) Now that I was up, I realized that I was pretty hungry, so I decided to make cinnamon rolls for breakfast. As I’m sure you know, these go very well with milk, but my milk was in a fridge on Conner 4 (along with my eggs, apple juice, and maple syrup. I think I’m going to start telling people that I live on Conner 3 even though I barely ever spend time there, because I don’t officially live on Conner 4 but well…as you can see from the list above, I went so far as to have breakfast there Saturday morning. It’s a long story. A really long story. So since C3 is halfway between C2 and C4, so I think I should just start telling people that’s where I live.) Anyway, on my way back down with my milk (the eggs, syrup and apple juice still need to be retreived), I noticed that there was a really neat view out of the window in the stairwell. You can look out into the little courtyard-type-thing in the middle of the dorm. (As you can see, BC is basically a string of U’s, and this window looks out into the third one from the left, which has an entrance to the dorm.) So after eating my breakfast, I went and took a couple of pictures:

Then I went back to sleep.

When I finally dragged myself out of bed (I won’t even say what time it was), I went to church, and from church to the grocery store (because otherwise I was going to start going hungry pretty soon). At the store I picked up some nifty…

Christmas lights!

Here’s a better picture where you can see what our room actually looks like:

Notice the candy canes that April put up in the upper lefthand corner. We’re just chock full of holiday spirit.

Then, just a few minutes ago, Batya ’08, Alex ’08, and Ruth ’07 all came by to ask for my signature on their nomination forms. (They’re all running for Burton-Conner government.) Ruth said (as she always does), “Hey, you can blog about this now! And tell all of the prospective freshman about BC government and the election process!” Which is a great idea, only I don’t know anything about the BC government election process, so maybe I’ll have Ruth write a guest entry about it on my blog like she’s done on Sam‘s so many times before.

And that was my day. Utterly unproductive-but I loved it.

Write me emails. Leave me comments. Parents too! Bloggers love it. Promise. And if you asked a question awhile ago and never got an answer, I’m working on it. Maybe someday I’ll be better about writing about the things I actually say I’m going to write about…

6 responses to “Let it snow”

1. Jane says:

Comment.

Oh, you mean I should say something in my comment? Ok.

Great holiday lights and decorations – that’s just awesome.

Ooh, here’s a question: you’ve totally confused me about where you actually live: is it connor 2, 3, or 4? smile

2. Ruth says:

Guest entries are far more fun in the summer, when I don’t have 70 BAJILLION pages to write.

Ah.. the life of an urban planning/political science major.

But seriously, a quick note on student government at MIT: there are all kinds of it! You’d think we’d be efficient and centralized but you’d be wrong (unless you’re a grad student, the GSC is pretty tight). You can politic for your frat, sorority, dorm, independent living group, cultural group, club, sport, theater guild, or whatever you want. Blogger Jessie 07 is undergrad association vice president, and blogger Sam 07 is Conner 2 floor chair. Responsibility abounds!

And as follows, you can find something to take charge of that you’re passionate about. If, for instance, you really care about starting a belly dancing club, you can do it! If you, also for instance, really want to get satellite hooked up in your dorm, you can do that, too! Yay for responsibility!

3. Dave says:

Oh the weather outside is frightful…

I have another storn bearing down on me as I type this, fingers crossed for snow day.

4. Emi says:

Wow! I like Snow…but that’s because I never see it.

Haha. I like weather changes…a lot. Ecuador seems to be caught in some sort of uniweather where its neither too hot nor too cold. It never snows and its never stifling hot. Gets boring.

Nice christmas decorations!

Heh. Looks like MIT sucks big time. I’m going to sunny Pasedena, California. CALTECH RULES!

6. Dave S. says:

Another picture from the December 4 snow: http://www.waltzking.org/potd/20051204.html

OK, so it’s not from Cambridge but it’s close by.

– Dave Strauss, MIT ’75