MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

Lucky Saturday the 14th by Mitra L. '07

Luck was a lady three nights in a row in NYC

To make up for the apparently unlucky (but ultimately normal) Friday the 13th, fate decided to rain upon Sam and me loads of good luck last Saturday.

Saturday (sans Sam):
a run around Central Park
a walk way down 5th Avenue

Saturday (avec Sam):
a lunch in Chinatown
a visit to Trump Tower (where we contemplated buying Donald Trump (flavored?) bottled water)
a tour of Columbus Circle
a jaunt into the Time-Warner Center (where we ran into Sam’s freshman-year roommate, David ’07, and sampled [read: read] the menu of the most expensive restaurant in New York City — good thing Sam detests sushi)
two front-row tickets to Avenue Q!!! (which was the most amazing lottery win ever, only rivaled by that one time I won two free tickets to see the US women’s soccer team play against China in NY/NJ)
four very expensive coffee-flavored quesadillas for dinner in Times Square (which made me miss MIT’s flexible meal plan even more)
many unevenly-matched rounds of Taboo, many slices of coconut pie, and many scoops of rainbow sherbert with Ruth ’07 & Matt ’08

sample clue
WORD: Summit
Ruth: The first half means “to aggregate” and the second half is where we go to school
Mitra: SUMMIT!

Sunday (avec Sam)
5 minutes of running
the realization that it’s way too cold to be outside wearing only athletic clothing
approximately 50 Belgian fries and 4 delicious dipping sauces (honey mustard, mango chutney, pesto, and sundried tomato) at Pommes Frites near Cooper Union & NYU
a giant whale, a family of elephants, a nearly-2000 year old piece of wood, and a three-level gift shop at the American Museum of Natural History
a stroll through the southern half of Central Park (where, much to my dismay, we did not spot any celebrities)
2 minutes inside Serendipity 3 (after which we decided no frozen hot chocolate is worth two and a half hours of waiting)
a colorful look at Dylan’s Candy Bar (where I contemplated buying a shirt that says “I love nerds” on it until I realized I ALREADY OWN A SHIRT THAT SAYS THIS)
more unevenly-matched games of Taboo with Laura ’06 and Vincent ’07
a fortunate run-in with Darragh ’07 in Times Square
a delicious dinner at Havana Central in Little Havana

an episode each of Desperate Housewives & Grey’s Anatomy, series that Sam and I, respectively, have recently begun watching
an event downtown

Monday (avec Sam)
a lunch at a cute French buffet near work
a figure skating exhibition in Bryant Park (or so they claimed… we left before the zamboni finished wiping the rink)
a walk around 3/4 of Union Square
a return to Chinatown, where I bid Sam farewell

Special thanks to Ruth and Matt for making the trek to my apartment on Saturday night when it was freezing, especially since Ruth had her wisdom teeth removed just one day earlier! (Hmm, was this through MIT Medical?) Also, special thanks to Vincent and Laura for being our NYC “experts” — her word, not mine. Hope you had a good time, birthday boy! Check out Sam’s entry for photographs of the glorious weekend. My, how the tables have turned!

4 responses to “Lucky Saturday the 14th”

1. S says:

‘Belgian Fries’? Wow, that’s the first time I read ‘fries’ recognized as ‘Belgian Fries’… and I approve it deeply! There is no place like Belgium for fries! wink (No no, I’m not nationalistic at all, just taste…)

By the way, I had the same problem in Bryant Park where I only skated for 30 minutes.

NY is pretty impressive for the little country boy that I am.

French seems to appear quite often in your articles. Do you speak this language or is it ‘just’ culture ?

2. Mitra says:

I took French in high school, but I think saying that I speak French is a bit ambitious.

3. MikeyYang says:

Sounds like you’re having an awesome time in NYC! I’m jealous. Not that reading apps isn’t fun, but what could possibly beat eating, exploring, and playing taboo in the 2nd best city ever (1st being Boston, of course)?

AND…I think there’s going to be mafia madness sometime soon with C2 and NH4 again! I’m excited.

Let’s go to Serendipity 3 for Spring Break. I mean, just that, and nothing else. Because it will probably take us all of Spring Break just to get in, and then cost about as much money as I’m saving up for Spring Break.

MIKEY! You’re coming for Mafia on Sunday at NH4, right? I know you secretly read these blogs every day, so you had better.