MIT student blogger Chris S. '11

Mastering Physics Has No Soul by Chris S. '11

I love online assignments. har. har.

I don’t usually like to post these kind of “on-the-whim” entries (I’d write more, but I’m still finishing 2 psets), but I believe this is an important part of MIT Student Life. @@

Say that I’m irresponsible for not finish this early, but GAH! (the second time this semester, fourth time this year)

In more substantial matters:

Coming up: (after my Patriot’s Day loong weekend to NYC* yayay so excited)
What the heck was going on there? Believe it or not, there’s a lot than meets the eye (stuff about MIT that I haven’t blogged about this whole year – but I’ve been meaning to).
-My Spring 2008 Classes (did you know we only have 18 school days left before finals? gasp*)
-Summer Plans
-Why I’m addicted to the Formula 50 (Grape) Vitamin Water. (jk, though I have four empty bottles of it sitting on my desk right now)

In the meantime, if there is anything that I can help you in making your big decision before May 1, feel free to reach me here, through email, or on FB!

To be honest, I don’t believe in forcing MIT down your throats. I feel like you should go to the school that is the best fit for you, and where you will truly enjoy the next four years of your academic career. If that’s MIT, then AWESOME! If it’s somewhere else, then it’s good as well. However, I do hope to do what I can in providing you with information so you can make an informed decision about this issue.

Best of luck. :)

* Did you know that Patriot’s Day is a Massachusetts/Maine exclusive holiday? We have a LONG weekend from the 19th to the 22nd! woo!

11 responses to “Mastering Physics Has No Soul”

1. senna '12 says:

Awww…better watch your clock next time, Chris!! >.Awww…better watch your clock next time, Chris!! >.<

2. Judy '12 says:

Awww Chris… so close :( 2.4167 minutes off
    must be a race against the clock raspberry

Last year, we were penalized 50% if we were late. Now it immediately goes to zero?! Not cool.

And the only reason we share with Maine is because Maine used to belong to Mass =DD

5. Neil '12 says:

The amount of credit you receive for being late should be determined by the following formula, that I just spent the last 5 minutes or so figuring out:

C = P * (-(t^2)/(z^2) + 1)

where:

C = credit you actually get
    P = points you would get if you were on time
    t = number of minutes you were late
    z = number of minutes late which should result in zero credit

This way, you lose practically no credit for being 0.000001 seconds late. You can see the benefits of this system by looking at a graph. This better be implemented by the time I’m taking physics! And it wouldn’t be that hard either!

6. Oasis says:

Impressive.

7. Oasis says:

Though on second notice, this system is a bit too lenient for MIT pruposes.

use t = 12 min and z = 120 min. They’ll never just take off -0.1 for being THAT late.

Even t = 60 with same z (one hour late) is still 7.5. WAY too lenient for the sadistic MIT physics teachers, hahaha.

Try “Mastering General Chem”…. (*plot twist*)

I really understand…

what do you know, I’m having “fun” with masteringphysics as we speak…