Chris Peterson SM '13

Dec 14, 2010

Minecraft: Discuss

Hi everyone. As you all know from Matt's post, decisions will be released in two day's time, at 9 PM on Thursday.

But because neither of us should be stressing out about that, this blog post is about something else entirely: Minecraft.

What is Minecraft? Quoth Wikipedia:

a sandbox building video game which allows players to build constructions out of textured cubes in a 3D world...The game is divided into two main modes, Alpha and Classic, where Classic is focused entirely on construction while Alpha additionally contains enemies, a health meter, and additional features and items.

Basically some Swedish guy named Notch got bored at his job as a game dev and decided to make a super-retro 8bit blocky construction / run away from zombies game.

But that doesn't really answer the question of what Minecraft is, so maybe this will:

I play alpha/survival, which means that during the day I run around and kill pigs and chop down trees and run away from creepers and during the night I hide away in my bunker and dig dig dig dig dig dig dig dig forever.

Others play creative mode, where you have infinite materials and no enemies and you just build ridiculous stuff like a scale model of the Starship Enterprise.

There really isn't anything else to this post. Minecraft is a fun silly game in which you can do fun silly things.

Minecraft chat below; if you post something cool in the comments I'll edit it into this post.

Edits:

Not Minecraft, but it does talk about digging; if you begin feeling stressed out about decisions (or Minecraft zombies), just dim the lights and chill out to this Pogo Disney remix.

This is so fitting, I was just playing. I'm using Minecraft to burn some nervous energy ^^ I play survival too, but right now I'm on peaceful because I got tired of fighting when I wanted to be working (and I couldn't abandon my world for a classic one raspberry). I just built this epic light tower with a lava dome, it's *sick*.

Posted by: John O'Sullivan on December 14, 2010

thankfully, my base naturally has a floating mountain over it, so I can always find it.

I dunno, I keep on thinking of switching to peaceful and building myself a nice Minas Tirith (my base is built into the side of a mountain) but I feel cheap doing so.

Posted by: Chris Peterson @ MIT Admissions on December 14, 2010

One of the greatest time wasters ever!! Love this game.
Anyone excited for Beta? The group of friends I play with (one of them runs a SMP server for us) is probably going to start a whole new map for the Beta release.

Posted by: Alejandro Younger on December 14, 2010

You forgot redstone circuits! people have built freakin' COMPUTERS inside Minecraft.
maybe after I gain some electrical engineering knowledge (hopefully from MIT, guess I'll find out on Thursday), I can aspire to do something like that =P for now I'll just stick to making awesome rollercoasters and boat elevators.

I'm having trouble finding any good SMP servers to play on though...

Posted by: Russell W. on December 14, 2010

So, uhh, people get really into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn2-d5a3r94&feature=related

Posted by: Emad '14 on December 14, 2010

I just cant wait until someone builds a redstone processor powerful enough to handle a 64-bit OS...then we can make like x-ibit and play minecraft in yo minecraft

Posted by: Alex LeBon on December 14, 2010

Aaah, I'm so glad this showed up here.

This game is great. I can't wait for Notch to polish it up, because he definitely has something with this idea. It's impossible to explain why, but this game is just so much fun. One time I got to the top of a hill, and on the other side there was a water stream that flooded a whole area. I spent a good minute admiring its beauty before I remembered I was staring at virtual cubes.

And the "that's a very nice *everything* you've got there" picture is entirely fitting.

Posted by: Alex Lucena on December 14, 2010

@Alex

Oh it's so very fitting, after you spent the whole afternoon building an awesome underwater castle, go to the surface, never notice the creeper "swimming" behind you until "SSSSSSssssssss" *BOOOOOOM* flooded castle =(

Posted by: David on December 14, 2010

Hahaha, noooooooo, I'd be crushed.

Haha just today my Calculus teacher mentioned that his 8-year old son wants a laptop for Christmas. Why? To play Minecraft!

Posted by: Greg on December 14, 2010

good son.

my AP physics C teacher actually knows the owner of minecraft. He said the owner was offered a few million for the website, but turned it down because he could make more money by expanding it.

Posted by: zuney on December 14, 2010

So, um minecraft is cool.... yah. I like diamond. TROLLTROLL

Posted by: Jojo on December 14, 2010

Best game ever, I just might have to set up a multilayer server while I wait for Thursday, anyone up for it?

Posted by: Jon on December 14, 2010

@Jon

If you do then share the IP, I doubt that there are many griefers on the MIT blog.

um... I do not play Minecraft...does that mean I'm not MIT material? lol. I think Ill try it, might help me survive until Thursday.

Posted by: Marcel on December 14, 2010

@Marcel

Its a great game, which is surprising to most people (myself included) given that its cube based.

And plus, if you go buy a license now you get free updates forever!!

You shouldn't have posted this during finals week...
...
...
D:

Posted by: anon on December 14, 2010

Hehe. I've been playing with Minecraft for a while. It's definitely been a good time waster...

Actually, I plan on forcing/convincing my friends to pose their avatars doing certain things for some art for a project.

And yeah, Jon, you should definitely make and share one here.

Posted by: Matt Soucy on December 14, 2010

ok, the server is up on 72.253.124.199:25568 I don't have any long term plans, but if enough people want to it'll stay up for a while.

Posted by: Jon on December 14, 2010

Sounds cool
I usually read and/or write poetry to pass time.
It's epic.

Posted by: Ovid on December 14, 2010

poetry owns.

IT OWNS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHX3qtJlmdU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxsOVK4syxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATC5OGh3adg

Don't forget Dwarf Fortress, you guys.

Posted by: Henry on December 14, 2010

Hey thanks for the idea. I am going to try this out right now. I'm not really nervous for Thursday but I AM really bored! haha

Posted by: Josh on December 14, 2010

man, that is the LAST time I go spelunking with only two pieces of meat and no bow. nearly died about 10 times haha
darn skeletons...

Multiplayer sounds oh so tempting, but I must resist the urge, I've played way too much minecraft than I should have during senior fall.

Posted by: Cody on December 14, 2010

Hey Friends,

I don't know much about Minecraft, but in the spirit of inventionism, this is what I've been doing while waiting for my EA decision:

https://sites.google.com/site/seanoctober30/things-i-do/robotic-chess

(Think Robotic Chess)

Posted by: Sean T. F. on December 15, 2010

Good lord, the last place I thought I'd see Minecraft mentioned is on the MIT website raspberry

Or Dwarf Fortress. Man I love me some DF.

Posted by: Stephen on December 15, 2010

Minecraft.

Mix two parts Lego, one part Infiniminer, with a pick axe, in a bowl of Dwarf Fortress, and stir.

Warning: bookshelves, roller coasters, working 16-bit calculators, and replicas of the Enterprise may occur. Not recommended for those weak of heart or imagination.

Posted by: Heather Davies on December 15, 2010

Hi everybody! I hope you are all well)
I got a problem, but dunno how to solve it, so is anybody here...?
In september
I know that MIT provides enrichment programs, and there is nothing about internationals... I have mailed my question them but, still haven't recieved any respond...Can you help me?
I would like to Join you all in spring, for HSSP or SAT preparatoin program...
Thank you all..
--ruslan

Posted by: Ruslan'15 or even 16' on December 15, 2010

In September I became The Recipient of Kazakhstan Presidential International Scholarship "Bolashak".*

Nice content.Keep up good work.If you like to watch new Movies and Tv Shows just visit this site http://movies-stream.net/Table/Movies

Posted by: Streaming Movies on December 15, 2010

Minecraft is absolutely fantastic... I've been playing for a few months, and the finishing MIT application was the main reason I stopped playing raspberry

Anyway, if anyone wants to play on the server living in my house that my friends and I set up, you're welcome to come on (though there's not too much built yet). It's a freebuild PvP, some have fun! It's what'll be keeping me distracted until I can get my early action decision tomorrow night...

Server IP: 74.107.86.26

Posted by: Brennan Pilcher on December 15, 2010

OMG, is everyone playing Minecraft now? I guess I need to start. I have been passing my time playing Lotro. Cant wait for tomorrow night.

Posted by: Cori Watson on December 15, 2010

Off topic: Hey all, you might want to check this project from Google: Chrome for a Cause.

Basically, for each tab you open, you'll help raise money for a charity. Weird, but quite interesting.
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/p/cause/

Cheers Everyone

Posted by: David on December 15, 2010

I really must thank you for introducing me to this incredibly entertaining and creative game. I totally started it when I should have been studying for finals. I also wonder why I've never heard of it before.

Posted by: Louis '14 on December 15, 2010

Minecraft is awesome especially when you have friends to play it with on a private server. One time, I was making a pixelated image of Vegeta, and I was writing "It's Over 9000!" on the side, but I finished the word "It's" and realized that I needed to do hw.

So I went to do hw, and when I came back, it was all completed by my friend. How awesome is that?

Posted by: Clinton on December 15, 2010

I just lost my entire main world yesterday, needless to say I'm pretty bummed out right now. I just finished an elaborate Minecart system connecting my bases and mines, when my laptop overheated and crashed, and my world was completely gone. FML

Posted by: pdowling on December 15, 2010

Haha, no! I went on this site to get away from Minecraft!

Posted by: Jack on December 15, 2010

Wow. Thank you Chris for posting those awesome poetry vids. Now I want to perform poetry.

Posted by: 0 on December 15, 2010

Why oh why did I have to buy Minecraft during finals week?

Still, the procedurally generated landscape is awesome. Even if I can't explore it until tuesday...

Posted by: Grant on December 15, 2010

MINECRAFT FTW!! I like to dig down as far as I can, then make an elaborate underground lair. The entire world usually ends up hollow smile

Posted by: Phoebe on December 16, 2010

Minecraft's biggest strength, however, is that it tells a story without really "telling" a story. Your essentially create your own story by trial and error, no matter how you chose to play there is some experience that defines Minecraft that is unique to you. The fear you get when you turn around and you see a creeper bearing down on you is not forced by Notch, but comes from your experience in the game (having seen my fort blown up 4 times by stray creepers, I jump every time i see one).

On the other side, there's the uber-creative wonders people dream up on multiplayer. Those are cool too :D

Posted by: Nick Hanemann on December 16, 2010

The pogo song really is great for stress relief...

Posted by: Jack S on December 16, 2010

i think i shall play minecraft to pass the time. then I think i'm gonna start playing The Final Countdown at 8:55.

Posted by: Russell W. on December 16, 2010

Minecraft Institute of Technology!

Posted by: victor on December 16, 2010

The multiplayer server Attack of the Show! Zombies room is so difficult! Everyone should try it sometime.

Posted by: Eugene W. on December 16, 2010

Ha! I love this game. Good to see I share some interests.

Posted by: Matt on December 16, 2010