MIT staff blogger Kris Guay

MIT Application Now Available by Kris Guay

here we go!

You can now log onto MyMIT to access the application for freshman admission to MIT. MIT has its own application – we are not on the Common App – and our application is only available at MyMIT.

Here are a couple things we want you to know as you begin filling out your application:

• Start by contacting your EC as soon as you are ready to schedule your interview. If you are applying for the November 1 Early Action (EA) deadline, you should set up your interview before October 20th. If you are applying for the January 1 Regular Action (RA) deadline, you should set up your interview before December 10th.
  • This year we have an online process for submitting teacher recommendation letters and you will need to create a separate recommendations account for this, in addition to your MyMIT account. 
  • We only need your online application, and anything additional is absolutely not required or expected. But, sometimes students want to tell us about things they do outside the classroom and we are happy to accept additional information such as portfolios from visual artists, makers, performing artists, and researchers for review by MIT staff or faculty. Portfolios must be submitted by November 1 for Early Action or January 1 for Regular Action.
  • We cannot accept non-scannable materials such as CDs, DVDs, books, slides, certificate binders, or newspaper clippings. But, if there are other pieces of scannable information that you feel would add depth to your application, you can download and print an MIT Supplemental Document Cover Sheet from your MyMIT account and attach it to any non-required document you submit. If you are mailing materials to MIT, please use this address:

MIT Undergraduate Admissions Processing Center
    P.O. Box 404
    Randolph, MA 02368

• You should be sure to frequently check the email account that you list on your application. If we have any questions or announcements, this will likely be the place to find such communications.
  • If you have in previous years applied to MIT or started an application to MIT, you will not be able to create your new MyMIT account and begin your application until early October. Please be patient.

That’s it for now. Watch your mailboxes and check your email. We’ll be sending you information, tips, and updates from time to time. And we’re here to help, so feel free to ask questions.

I’m looking forward to reading your application!