Feb 22, 2007

MIT Idol

Posted in: Process & Statistics

In a few minutes I'll head over to the committee room to begin Day 7 of selection. Things are going well; for some reason I'm enjoying committee this year even more than I have in past years. Maybe that's just what happens as you become a seasoned admissions officer, or maybe you guys are just awesome and inspiring. Probably a combo of the two.

In any case, selection committee is a pretty intense exercise as far as the brain is concerned, so when you get home at night, you're not exactly looking to dive into a theoretical physics book. Truth be told, you're looking to do something as mindless as possible. And this is where my American Idol addiction comes in handy (did the women pwn last night or what?).

I've heard that the producers put through the best ~10% and the worst ~10% to Simon, Paula, and Randy - the former because they actually have a shot at winning, and the latter for pure entertainment value. Fortunately, our applicant pool is very self-selective so even the bottom 10% is very impressive. But I have to admit - sometimes I wish we'd get applications from people who have no business applying to MIT to liven up selection committee. (As a guy who is not wired to do science and math, I'd be a prime candidate.)

While I'm rolling with this fantasy, I'd also add Simon, Paula, and Randy to our selection committee, and I'd also have each applicant apply in person. Because then we could have scenes like this:

Randy: Dog, it was just okay for me. You want me to keep it real, right? Alright, it just didn't work. The curriculum was just too big for you. You should have picked classes that you could have actually passed.
Paula: You know what? You're a star. Your handwriting is beautiful, you look great, and I really like you. I'm not sure MIT is the place for you, but you're really going to go far in life and have gorgeous kids and save the world.
Simon: When you do math in public, how do people generally react? Is this an application to MIT or to pre-school? You are absolutely forgettable. I could go into any middle school and find 6th graders I'd rather admit.
Paula: Oh stop, it really wasn't that bad. You shine, you know fractions really well. You're beautiful.
Ryan: Would you like to respond to Simon?
Applicant: Um, uh, I thought it was okay...
Simon: You haven't taken any math since ninth grade, you failed bio, chem, and physics, and you have a 220 on your math SAT. You know when you're at a wedding and someone has a little too much wine and gets up on stage and tries to integrate? That was you tonight.
Crowd: Booooooooo.
Simon: It's true.
Ryan: If you'd like to vote for this applicant, call 888-MIT-IDOL or text MIT on your Cingular phone which is now AT&T which was formerly AT&T which was formerly Cingular which might be Cingular again in a few months.
Randy: DOG POUND!
Dog Pound: Woot!
[commercial]

And on that note, my friends, selection committee beckons.

You know this is posted twice, right? I guess this is the one with the improved title smile

Posted by: karen on February 22, 2007

And of course, it's gone by the time my comment posts, making me sound like a hallucinator...I
'll go read the entry now.

Posted by: Karen on February 22, 2007

Yeah!! Selection committee is on....

Posted by: Basant on February 22, 2007

The two Kari(e)ns see the double post...
Maybe just Karins hallucinate =P

Posted by: Karin on February 22, 2007

Just curious...How many applicants do you get through in a day?

Posted by: 0 on February 22, 2007

when r results going to be out

Posted by: bhushan on February 22, 2007

I am so tense now. Ben how many applicants have you selected now? I am dying to know. Are there any Solomons? When will the admissions decisions be released? Oh God.

Posted by: Solomon on February 22, 2007

hey solomon
its same with me

Posted by: bhushan on February 22, 2007

Ben,
I completely understand your fantasy, as an employer who reads numerous resume's, it is a comic break to find a gem that you can run around the office and say...Hey Look at this! They actually made little hearts above all their i's, and a smiley face beside the signature. Or my personal favorite, making the leap from car wash attendant to senior-level management.

Happy reading!!!!

Posted by: Mom on February 22, 2007

Perhaps, when you come to read my resume in the commitee (if it is not already in the bin), you will have some fun.

Good luck everybody

Posted by: 0 on February 22, 2007

and if this is the double post, who cares? I don't. Don't we all repeat ourselves in some part of our lives? Repetition is part of the nature.

Posted by: 0 on February 22, 2007

OH NOOOOO..........selection has begun :(
I'm SOOOO nervous.......
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE select me! wink
Fingers crossed..........

Posted by: Hopeful on February 22, 2007

Does anybody know when te results will be
published?

Posted by: Marcello on February 22, 2007

I am so nervous!!! Adam S no helpful info this time.

Posted by: Solomon on February 22, 2007

Hahaha...love the "drunk integration at a wedding" bit! smile

Posted by: Nora on February 22, 2007

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA.:-D :-D :-D

Posted by: Christina on February 22, 2007

BUT, for the record, Nance + Ben + Matt + Millene >> Paula + Simon + Randy. ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.

Though I can't understand your blog entirely as a Chinese, I think you have a dull but interesting job in some degree.

Posted by: Sonia on February 22, 2007

Ben U really Rock! in abt a few words....You have explained the whole selection fuss.

Posted by: Anonymous on February 22, 2007

And the MIT idol for the year 2007 is.....................guess who?
......Anonymous, yeah!!!

Hay ben,
Paris and Britney applying to MIT would be a good idea!!
yeah Ben, I know, You would love to read their academic and extra-circullar distinctions!!!lolzzz..

ohk.so finally we have been put up on trial... lets see who is enprisoned in the world's favorite prison (would luv to be one)...and who gets the bail out!!!

Gosh wish I am found accused of stealing the committee's heart and therefore am sentenced to stay in MIT for the coming 4..5...6 years

Posted by: Ketan on February 22, 2007

Wow, that's got to be the best blog entry ever! (especially since I actually got to see last night's Idol)

Thanks for helping to make waiting a little less stressful. Now that I think about it, March 17th doesn't seem like too far away any more.

Posted by: Charles on February 22, 2007

HAHAHAHA. How accurate.

Jordin Sparks FTW! I also love Melinda Doolittle.

Posted by: Colin on February 22, 2007

Hey, selection comittee. You guys are doing a great job lol raspberry

Posted by: Jigar on February 22, 2007

Charles
Is it 17th for sure? Are you certain. Whats your source?

Posted by: Solomon on February 22, 2007

URGENT: I just found [well, a week ago] an elegant [ie reader-friendly, public-friendly and short] proof to something [a property of a very large class of common and important functions] that seems intuitively obvious but kept me up just thinking aboutthe swiftest workable apporach. Do you want to see it [at the admissions office]? I want you to see it! Will it bolster my application? To whom should I send it? ...

Would you prefer it written as a song? ...

! !
O

We could all [the MyMIT audience] write you songs! That would definitely satisfy the title of this bloggy.

Posted by: Chandresh/Chan on February 22, 2007

So that's why you've all been MIA this week.

Posted by: Keri on February 22, 2007

So is it too late to add anything else to your application now?

Posted by: 0 on February 22, 2007

VERY ENTERTAINING!!!!

Posted by: Anjanie Sriram on February 22, 2007

This is utterly hilarious and I am sending the link out to lots of email lists of parents.

Posted by: tokenadult on February 22, 2007

is it really too late to send anything in now????????

Posted by: chrissie on February 22, 2007

Hey just cut the crap!!!!
It's not a time to joke, my life is on stake,it can just take an officers stamp to make my life and his one flick can ruin the same.

OH! PLEASE PICK ME UP,I HAVE GOT A LOT TO DO.

Seriously waiting for the big packet in my mail box.

Posted by: Utkarsh on February 22, 2007

Randy: Dog, it was just okay for me. You want me to keep it real, right? Alright, it just didn't work. The curriculum was just too big for you.
Wow...we actually had someone say something almost exactly like this yesterday when we talked about "Admission Idol". Good to see the loopiness isn't limited to our office right now. smile

Posted by: Dean J on February 22, 2007

Hahaha. Funny post! I def did see Idol last night too and those impressions of the judges are right on.

but yes, so do decisions come out the 17th like what is being said above? is it too late to add anything? (just got academic all-american for swimming!)

and of course...I AM SOOO NERVOUS ABOUT DECISIONS!!! ahhhhh! cross my fingers!!!!

Posted by: Josh V on February 22, 2007

"Your handwriting is beautiful".... I laughed A LOT when I read this!! She makes such inane-yet-encouraging comments! But, I mean, I get her. I wouldn't like to be mean to someone on TV.

Great post!

And good luck to all applicants :D

Posted by: milena on February 22, 2007

pwn? The first time I read it, it reminded me the pawn in chess. It somehow relates to that too! Pawn can be a very important piece in winning. Thanks for the link.

Although I can't watch American Idol from where I am from, there definitely are shows like that here too. Interesting... I guess humiliating people on TV is now in many countries. Sad. I don't like this. I don't see why it would be funny either. There are other ways of having fun.

Can't wait to hear the decisions.

Posted by: turnef on February 22, 2007

You're MY idol.

(I'm on a ROLL!)

Posted by: Jess on February 22, 2007

in "Randy: Dog, it was just okay for me. You want me to keep it real, right?"

is it really supposed to be 'Dog'instead of 'Dawg'?
(I'm slightly oblivious to some things...so it's not all obvious to me. don't laugh.)

Also, as some others have asked before me,
since selection has already started, if we send in updates/supplemental material at this time, will it be considered?
Meaning, would any of the committees re-discuss the applicant, if a decision has already been made?

Posted by: 0 on February 22, 2007

This is hilarious! And even MORE fun to read because my kid isn't waiting on an MIT decision. However, I certainly hope the admissions committee over at Cornell has NO FUN WHATSOEVER until they admit him!

Tense, much, people?

Posted by: parent on February 22, 2007

Quick answers...

The goal is to release decisions online at noon on Saturday March 17th and via postal mail around the same time. I won't be able to confirm this 100% until we are farther along in the process.

You can always send supplemental stuff in, but at this point it is very unlikely to be seen by the committee.

-B

Posted by: Ben on February 22, 2007

As an MIT alum/parent ('07, hooray), I would like to say: thank you, I needed that.

But I'm a little worried about you, are you okay? You sound a little punchdrunk.

Posted by: DMD on February 22, 2007

SCORE! I had a bet with someone that decisions would be released on the 17th, so I hope that day stays put (but I wouldn't mind if it was earlier...) =P

Posted by: Karin on February 22, 2007

Lmao, this post is hilarious! Love it!

And good luck with the selections!

Posted by: Justin on February 22, 2007

That was AMAZING. I was cracking up =)

Though I now refuse to watch American Idol. It forced House and Bones to be POSTPONED. I want my shows back! (And Ugly Betty isn't on tonight!) Gah, bad TV week =)

Selection committee. I remember those two words sent shivers up my spine last.. November? Wow, that was a while ago. EA = Awesomeness

Good luck to the RA applicants!

Posted by: Melissa '11 on February 22, 2007

Good luck to everyone. smile

Posted by: Virat on February 22, 2007

"You know when you're at a wedding and someone has a little too much wine and gets up on stage and tries to integrate?" *snerk* Classic!

Decisions coming out on the 17th, huh? Do you think it's lucky if I'm Irish? 'Cause I so am. (Bummer about missing the pi day thing, but at least I will have pi(e) to console myself.)

Have fun selecting!

Posted by: Meara on February 22, 2007

Here, have a small dosage of internet culture. The origin of "pwn" has its roots in the online game Warcraft III. At the end of a particularly popular level, it's supposed to say "You were owned" if you lost, but the person typing was in a hurry and since the "p" and "o" keys are together they pushed "p" by accident. Therefore, "pwned!" became an internet phenomenon.

is it really supposed to be 'Dog'instead of 'Dawg'? (I'm slightly oblivious to some things...so it's not all obvious to me. don't laugh.)

More culture. It's "Dawg". Not sure why.

Posted by: Snively on February 22, 2007

Thanks Snively

Posted by: turnef on February 22, 2007

indeed, Mr. Snively.

Yeah, I wondered, because first i used to think it was 'dog', then i started seeing 'dawg.'
But then, maybe Ben just really meant 'dog' after all?

Posted by: arch es on February 22, 2007

The dates are out..... What more can I say?

And yeah! Sorry Ben, that double post was due to a "mis-click" (new word!).

Waiting for 17th, yeaaaahhhhhh!!!

Posted by: Basant on February 22, 2007

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( I don't know what are those new three musketeers thinking about me. booooooo

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly aka Captain SS Wan on February 22, 2007

I actually know someone like this (gets C's in math, but A's and B's in English, which is pretty good considering he hands in essays a month late) Of course he was joking because he hates anything to do with numbers, but was kind of interesting to see a post that was about someone like one of my friends

Posted by: Salil on February 22, 2007

lol... yea... that thing was true... word to word...!!! thats just how all three of them usually react... n maybe wen ryan would have tried to save the applicant from some real embarrasment, thn simon would have chipped in with "Ryan, are you trying to date this applicant"???
awesome post... n a great sense of humor...

Posted by: Ashwani Gupta on February 23, 2007

I love these posts. The blogs had been rather slow this week (after the initial surge of "selection has begun") and suddenly yesterday and today they exploded! Sadly I have had no time to really read these posts because I've been working and getting community service this week. I need sleep! But alas, I just put the kid to bed (babysitting) and I have about an hour of free time so here I am.

Josh etc.: I feel your pain. (And congrats Josh) I think Charles is probably assuming the 17th since it's the Saturday closest to pi day. That's the day I've been assuming but I still can't tell when it really is since it's not announced yet.

Posted by: Elizabeth on February 23, 2007

Oh, AM TENSED TOO. Please Ben keep on posting more blogs on admission process. I guess its one and a half months to go, isn't Ben?

Posted by: Thuita Maina on February 23, 2007

Holy Mary Mercy Me!
Can't Believe the Things I See!
- Michael Jackson

The Oath
Once the "applying for application which are for colleges" season will be over; I shall have a month to satisfy my primal need: Sleeping ZzZZZzZZZ

Man Proposes; God Disposes
We are trying to release all admission decision NO later than March 17th.

The Default Reaction
Oh No!! Puhhhleeezzee...

leezz...

zz.zzz.zzzz...z.

zzz

Posted by: Vishaque on February 23, 2007

Hahaha omg that sounds exactly like the judges. But what about Randy's remarkable tendency to call everyone, including males, "baby"?

"You know when you're at a wedding and someone has a little too much wine and gets up on stage and tries to integrate? That was you tonight."

And that was just beautiful haha

Posted by: Roseanne on February 23, 2007

if other things are at par will SAT or TOEFL be deal breaker

Posted by: 0 on February 23, 2007

The characters are for real!?

Anyway... thanks Paula...LOL

Oh, March 17th? Very near than I had imagined. When I started applying to MIT I thought March and April were too far away & I would sometimes slacken in the process. Now it seems I am going to pay the price in a few weeks time. I am tensed....worried........nervous.......Why does time fly so fast?!

Hi Ben,
My name is Mayuresh Deshpande.Indian by heart and fath.I have spend more than 2 hrs. to find proper link to post you my Question.
At last I decided to use this one.Then I spend half an hour more in thinking to whether start with "Respected Sir" or the other way You have already seen at top.
OK I just wanna introduse myself as totally confused guy.I tried to persue help from some of Indians at MIT(I got there email ID from MIT website. but none of them reply. You are my last hope . plz just reply me on my email id so that I can fill free to ask you something about admissions.I just want to know if I am not unneceressely putting you in trouble.
yours hopeless friend
Maddy

Posted by: Mayuresh on February 23, 2007

Reply soon Ben.can you plz mention how to mail you Questions
[email protected]
again your hopless friend
Maddy

Thuita Maina
time fly so fast?!

r u joking i m having
ve........................ry much hard time here

Posted by: bhushan on February 23, 2007

Hi Ben , Hello Everybody

Though I have no way to predict the result of my application......I don't why I am so excited....ain't I supposed to be nervous?

I know this sounds really crazy...but please help....I am not feeling scared even a bit!....again I know this is crazy...but please could someone tell how to do something that will make me nervous about the...because I want to be nervous!!
Please Help! :?()

PS: I don't think I am some super strong applicant. Which makes the whole issue about not-being-nervous very strange to me.

GOD PLEASE GIVE ME STRENGTH TO BE NERVOUS
AND MORE STRENGTH TO ACCEPT THE DECISION [WHATEVER THAT IS!]

Posted by: Anonymous on February 23, 2007

ahahah this was an amazing post!!

"You know when you're at a wedding and someone has a little too much wine and gets up on stage and tries to integrate?" THAT IS JUST LIKE SIMON!

and paula's handwriting comment! it's perfect!

Posted by: sarah on February 23, 2007

sorry, should've said entry not post. don't shoot me.

Posted by: sarah (again) on February 23, 2007

Oh no! You found my application!

...it's ok, I was voted Time's Person of the Year (2006).

Posted by: AJ on February 23, 2007

haha at AJ: me too!!!!

Posted by: 0 on February 23, 2007

There is the final ^z for the madman....... Goodbye friends, I feel like they have thrown me in the wpb.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooo

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly on February 23, 2007

why does MIT think it's tea....it's so much obsessed with this question...that it literally asks this question....even while stating it's name- SEE FOR YOURSELF

MIT="am I Tea?"

No. you're a university. not Tea!

Posted by: Anonymous on February 24, 2007

To

Anonymous on February 24, 2007 12:29 AM

Are you from Bangladesh????????????

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly on February 24, 2007

The Evolution

Almighty!! Ah Mighty!! MIT!!

Thanks Anonymous on February 24, 2007 12:29 AM for the tip, anyway I had thought it a long ago.

Posted by: Vishaque on February 24, 2007

Hey Thuita Maina, from which poition you play football (soccer), I have been the usual mid-fielder. You know, I am also crazy about football. Hoping that you are a Striker. And guessing your idol Thierry Henry. Say, what about that? Mine is ... nobody other than the Merciless Zizou. Ha Ha. Zinedine Zidane. How cool he looks man!! Aggggrah!!

Merci Zizou!

And don't forget to tell me, that if I was correct?

MIT Idol?

Oh, snap. I'd pay to watch that show even it if came out in the wee hours of the morning. Of course, throw in a bit of melodrama and a few hacks in the process and it'll turn out JUST FINE. smile

"MIT = am I tea?" Wow, I never really thought about that - Anonymous, good on you for finding out that punny phrase. =P

But everyone - relax! It's all up to the Selection Committee right now. Best of luck to everyone! smile

Posted by: Michelle on February 24, 2007

Ben,

when can we expect to hear the decision for Regular Action candidates ?

Posted by: Zain Pasha on February 24, 2007

So here is my fantasy Ben,

A week before the decisions are posted, I will start wearing my MIT t-shirt that I got last year. However, I will also wear something on top of it so that it cannot be recognized. Then the day I learn the decisions and if I am accepted, I will take off the other shirt and walk around with my MIT t-shirt that day, that week, that month, until next academic year until I get more MIT t-shirts. Even if I would stink of wearing the same t-shirt every day, I would still be wicked happy.

And if that day I learn that I am not accepted, the t-shirt will stay underneath my other shirt. Then I will keep my MIT t-shirt in my closet until the rest of my life and never wear it. After I die and my children and grand-children, clean my closet, they will find that t-shirt and learn about my dream of MIT. This will tell them more about me.

Posted by: turnef on February 24, 2007

Hey everyone!
I have a question: when are the admissions decisions posted on the internet?
Thanks in advance...

Posted by: gy on February 24, 2007

No
I am not from Bangladesh. I am from India.

Posted by: Mr. MIT=am I Tea? Anonymous on February 24, 2007

to turnef
May I get selected. Best of luck to you. Just in case you don't get selected, why do you plan to never wear the t-shirt? This is a wrong attitude!

Haven't you heard of something known as "Transfer"?
OR won't you do your masters.....at the time MIT will still exists!

By the way an important note on children and grand-children.......don't expect much from them...like taking care of your closet or something.....Why?

The second law of thermodynamics states that in a closed system [like our universe] the entropy [which indicates chaos, disorder, and its cousins like indiscipline, and the like] increase with the passage of time....which you don't care really that much for your parents...as much as your parents did for your grand parents...now that is because with the passage of time chaos, disorder, indiscipline [and all their evil cousins] have increased in intensity..which means your children and grand children will care less for your belongings..which means they might never get to know about your dream

MORALS OF THE STORY:
1. Tell your children and grand children about your dreams...just in case MAN PROPOSES GOD DISPOSES theorem works in your case

2. Don't you think it's toooooooo eeeaaarrrlllyyy to think about "children" and even "grandchildren"!!!! I think your life will be comfortable if you could limit it to just academics, friends, career, MIT and at the most girlfriend[s]

wink

to turnef (part-2)

just in case you're wondering what chaos, disorder and their evil cousins have to do with the respect a person shows towards his/her parents....read on..........the natural tendency/ the way things must be ideally is that one must love one's parents a lot and take care of'em and their belongings...but because of chaos, disorder and their evil cousins like indiscipline, hatred [which catalyzes the occurrence of disorder in good and naturally-organized relationship] the naturally-organized-bonds between kids and their parents weaken.....leading all the blah...blah...which i have earlier mentioned!

BEST of luck to everyone!

to turnef (part 3)

I don't live in US....and know a little about americans and american culture.... so I was just wondering whether turnef is the name of a boy or a girl???

Let me guess.....ummm....ummmmmm.....ummmmm....
is it the name of a boy?

Turnef,
Please don't get offended if I guessed wrongly! After all it's a mere guess!

to turnef(part 4)

can't help!my mind seems to be generating messages for your in installments ... anyways read on......

I just figured out that you must be surely a boy!

LOGIC USED: Girls are sweet and they don't make "stinky" plans like ruining the noses of others by continually wearing the same t-shirt for a YEAR!!!!!!

Question: Which Deo do you plan to use????

PS: even I am boy...but with "much cleaner" plans wink

Ben, i this the best entry i've ever read in MIT's blog.Not buttering u up.

'Mr. MIT=am I Tea?', that was awesome.

Anonymous i gift all my nervousness to you, i don't even want a part of it although its volume in me is unfathomable.

Posted by: 0 on February 24, 2007

First, I apologize from everybody for causing a tread that is not really related to the entry.

To anonymous of February 24th,
I am neither an American nor a boy. Turnef is not my name but one of my nicknames that has no meaning unlike my name. I am sure it does have a meaning in some other language. smile

If I don't get accepted, I will stay in my home country and study in a totally different system. Therefore, transfer doesn't really work for me. I will take a "very" different path here. Why would I never wear that t-shirt again? Because wearing that would make me sad. In addition, wearing it (to me) symbolizes holding onto a dream that has not been realized. I know that would weaken me. (This is not the same for other kinds of dreams.) I would rather keep it as a "memory". That is just my take on this.
Fantasies are not predictions, so I may have romanticized my fantasy to strengthen its emotional appeal. The result is that it sounds fictional.
After I die, somebody needs to clean my house to reuse it, especially if I will live alone. (Nobody is going to ignore it, I hope.) That somebody would probably be my family(I hope) because heritage, material and historical, is important in my culture. I am repeating "I hope" because I don't know either what is going to happen after decades to culture which is dynamic.
Is it too early for thinking of children and even grand-children? I believe nothing is early to be thought of. Human life is short, really short. Compare it to the life of universe. (If you compare it to annual plants, it may be long smile)) In that short time, we got to think of other generations and what we leave to them, including our dreams. My goal is to leave something that will go beyond two generations like an invention(s) and not just a t-shirt with which I have emotional bonds.
Which Deo? I like adidas. smile

Posted by: turnef on February 24, 2007

I have a question, that I'd appreciate an honest answer to...
if our application is still incomplete (ex. Midyear grade report has not been received) even though we know a document should have been received several days ago, does that mean that a decision has already been made (a decision to reject) on our file, and new information will not be considered?

Posted by: NoOneInParticular on February 24, 2007

whoa! your definitely my admission idol! i hope u get to read my application in a couple years...ur blog is wicked awesome smile

Posted by: RoboCopette on February 24, 2007

Hey ppl
How abt we compare our credentials so that we get an idea of how tough the competition reely is??
K??

Posted by: Anonymous on February 25, 2007

Go on! Start it.

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly on February 25, 2007

Yeah I agree with 'Madman' start it and we will follow suit. We don't really appreciate the anonymous kind of thing if we are to compare credentials.

Posted by: Solomon on February 25, 2007

sat 1- 2000
sat 2- math, physics, chem- 750

Posted by: anonymous on February 25, 2007

Hi everyone! I'm a moroccan applicant to MIT and I have a really disturbing problem. I took the toefl in december, 15th and entered MIT as a score recipient, but they haven't received it yet!!! and the selection process has already begun. In addition to this, the test center where I took my Toefl had forgotten to take my photograph. (my score is 95 out of 120). Another question: do you think I still have a chance to be admitted as I had a 660 in SAT Math test level 2 and a 560 in SAT Physics test. Thank you for answering.

Posted by: Soufiane on February 25, 2007

Hey !!
Any one frm india/ any indians applying 2 MIT??
I am an Indian studying in U.A.E(cbse) and have applied for class of 2011. Do e mail me at [email protected]

Posted by: Anurag on February 25, 2007

I think there is no point comparing ourselves over here, because comparison won't change the decisions of the admissions committee, and also that it might just cause unnecessary nervousness.

I suggest we should do this thing.... someone please create a group on "orkut"....named as MIT Aspirants'11. and all the applicants should get registered over there. After that irrespective of the decisions of the committee we'll be able to stay in touch for the rest of our lives, and may help each other.
Since we are those who have applied to MIT, and since Ben has specifically pointed out that even the bottom 10% applicants are very impressive,

it means we all are, at least, very impressive as per someone from MIT.

What's the harm in "very impressive" minds joining hands on the net? No harm!

Let's do it!

Posted by: Mrinal on February 25, 2007

Hey Mrinal. I really appreciate your idea. But, tell me how to do this. We,even if we do not get into MIT, shall be atleast web friends for the rest of our lives and help each other. So, bye and do post a mail on this blog or email me at [email protected]
Bye all of you and I wish best wishes to all the MIT aspirants.

Posted by: Vishal Upadhayay on February 25, 2007

URGENT. PLEASE HELP.
Does anyone know whether there are any extra forms (Financial Statement for Students from Foreign Countries, for instance) that international students have to fill out and send? If there are such forms, what are they and when is the deadline for each form?
Also, are there anyone who had Collegeboard send in their January SAT score report to MIT but still can't see it on MyMIT tracking page, or am I the only one?
I know I've asked a lot of questions that do not seem relevant to this blog entry, but I am getting a bit worried on these two points I've mentioned. So PLEASE HELP if possible. Thanks.

Posted by: A Kid Looking for Help on February 25, 2007

Gr8 idea mrinal. Plz tell me how to register 4 the orkut thing as i dunno much abt it.

Posted by: Anurag on February 25, 2007

Yeah, I have to agree with all the other posts that this is one of the more entertaining blog entries. It combines useful information with a bit of absolutely terrific humour. Well done Ben!

Posted by: Snively on February 25, 2007

100th Post!

Posted by: Snively on February 25, 2007

101st

Posted by: 0 on February 25, 2007

Hai to everyone. So, getting information from Mrinal, I created a community on Orkut named MIT Aspirants Class of 2011. My own address on google is [email protected] So, Who's gonna join? Bye and hope to see even a few members on it tomorrow when I wake up at morning.

Hey Ben, I have a question that is not really related to your entry (which was, of course, awesome, even though I have never watched American Idol). My question is about the Orientation website, which is part of the MIT FirstYear sites and not the admissions site but I thought you might know something about it anyway (or someone else reading this might know). The website (http://web.mit.edu/orientation) says information will be available beginning in early February, but obviously February is almost over now, so do you have any idea when orientation information will be posted?
Thanks!

Hey Ben. I'm almost certain my school sent in midyear reports more than a week ago. Should I be worried that you won't see my midyear grades because the tracking page shows they weren't received yet?
Thank you!

Posted by: Matt Rienzo on February 25, 2007

Hi vishal I request you to send me a mail of invite at sparkofblueedge at yahoo dot com

So that I can join

smile

Hey Thanks for your request. It may sound awkward but don't you need to have an account in Orkut so that you can join the community. i myself do not know much about it. Just yesterday I knew and thus, created it. Mail me at my address to tell me how to do it. Okay bye.

Posted by: Vishal Upadhayay on February 26, 2007

Oh sheet. (Deliberate) . Please admit me Mr. Cowell.

Posted by: Sarab on February 26, 2007

Vishal
I couldn't find that community, which you have created on orkut. Please type it's exact name.

Posted by: Mrinal on February 26, 2007

Vishal

Posted by: Mrinal on February 26, 2007

Last year 8805 US people applied to MIT and 1403 got selected. Which means, after rounding the figures, that out of every 6 US applicants 1 makes it to MIT .

Now, look at the figures for international applicants (I am also an international applicant):
Last year, out of 2568 int'l applicants 110 got selected. Which means that out of about 23 applicants 1 makes it to MIT

Oh! Life is so tough for me! I hope I am lucky enough

Posted by: Anonymous on February 26, 2007

Okay, the full name of the community is MIT Aspirants Clas of 2011. If you have an account on orkut, why don't you show up here so that I could invite you to it.
Bye.

Vishal n Mrinal,
The community wont show up that way in orkut. the best way is to visit vishals profile and then see his groups and join it. hope that helps!!!

As an international applicant I think I deserve to be at MIT - I was voted as the TIME magazine person of the year!! (Haha!)
Ben we need more blogs on admissions process.

Posted by: Thuita Maina on February 27, 2007

What about MITs next Topmodel?

(not that i would aplly for that;))

Posted by: Monika on February 27, 2007

Be nice to my Ben. He has had 2 days off this entire month. 2 days total! His family misses him and he misses his bed.

He is so dedicated to you all. Best of luck and don't stress. You will all end up on your proper path and I am sure you will all do great things!

Mrs. Ben

Posted by: Tanya on February 27, 2007

Hi Ben.
From my calculations it seems that the selection has started on the 16th of Feb. I have received my A-Level Statement of Results on the 12th and scanned it and emailed it to admissions on the 19th.(Sent a certified true copy by post too.) Please, please, tell me that the committee will actually get the opportunity to look at it. It's going to be such an advantage for me kuz I worked quite well..... very well in fact:-( It would be too bad if they miss it.

Posted by: Hanna on February 28, 2007

One thing for which I truly admire MIT is that, by starting the blogs MIT people have very effectively convinced me, that even people at MIT are just like the rest of us. Like they laugh, cry etc. just like the rest.The MIT community differs from the rest, only in one manner, which is that all members of the MIT community are the best in their fields.

I hope I can get into MIT, and join the league of the best people.

Que: What are the students of MIT called? For instance the students of IIT (Indian not Illinois) are called IITians. Are MIT students called MITians?

Posted by: Mr. am I tea?= MIT on February 28, 2007

wow....those judges are shockingly predictable. I loved reading MIT Idol! = )

Posted by: Wendy on February 28, 2007

Hey Vishal copied and pasted "MIT Aspirants Clas of 2011" in search for community.Didnt get anything. searched for u among the users too. Nothing. Really would want to talk to u people. Tell me how to access it ok. Thanks grin

Posted by: Hanna on March 1, 2007

Hanna
Type vifhal's full official name, as mentioned above somewhere, and then search. You'll find him.

Posted by: Mrinal on March 1, 2007

sorry for the spelling mistake! it's vishal

Posted by: 0 on March 1, 2007

Hey thanx. Finally got it. U gotta join urself Mrinal. Wud love to have the opportunity to talk to you.Cheers everybody.

Posted by: Hanna on March 1, 2007

lolzz....lolzz....finally sumthn that made me laugh leavin behind all the anxiety that exams gimme...posting in when one is just 3 days away from a chemistry exam...n that too boards...wasting time like anything ...hmm..its pretty liberarting.....
lolzz...happy reading mr BEN JONES....

Posted by: kanika on March 2, 2007

Hanna
I have already registered myself as a member of that community; I had got registered in that community even before I had posted that comment for you. But, you haven't still got registered in that community; I wonder why?

My email address: [email protected]
[I am yet to see any of the James Bond movies wink ]

Posted by: Mrinal on March 2, 2007

Best of Luck ! Kanika

Posted by: Mrinal on March 2, 2007

To Don Ben

Admissions /
Dir. Communications

Senor

MY MyMit says

"Application tracking is no longer available for entry year 2007"

Does that mean you already have thrown me away ??

Posted by: The madman who makes people fly ---- this time twi on March 2, 2007

I think it just means that they will no longer accept info/ you no longer need to track it.

Posted by: Karin on March 2, 2007

trackin isnt avilable no more because the decisions are going to be out soon...so someone who is still checkin in for whether the missing pieces have reached or not..probably they are the ones who have been dumped..l

Posted by: K on March 4, 2007

@MADMAN aka WANDERING ALBATROSS

senor

plz solve the mystery...reveal tour identity please now...calcutta guy...

Posted by: K on March 11, 2007