MIT or Bust by Bryan

Our story begins here...

So I guess telling you my name would be a good place to start: Bryan. I’m a member of the Class of 2007. I was born here in Massachusetts, but most recently I’m from Houston, Texas. I’m *definitely* majoring in 2 and minoring in BME. That’s MIT-speak for Mechanical Engineering and Biomedical Engineering. (My mom hates it when I revert to MIT-speak; I can speak full sentences in the language now. I promised her she’ll speak the language by the time I graduate) I’m still deciding whether or not to double major or minor with Biology, which is course 7. My freshman year, I lived in Baker but that year, I also joined ZBT, one of MIT’s fraternities, and I live in the house now.

bryanhockfield.jpg
This picture was taken at Susan Hockfield’s Inauguration last May.

In order for you guys to get to know me a little better, I’ll give you three statements and at the end of this entry, I’ll tell you which one the lie is.

Two Truths and a Lie
—————————–
1. The first day of high school, I rode a unicycle to school.
2. I can say the alphabet backwards faster than I can say it forwards.
3. I have never done a cartwheel.

A Few Of My Favorites:
Favorite Sport: Indoor Rock Climbing
Favorite Book: Ender���s Game
Favorite Soda: Barq’s Root Beer
Favorite Movie: a three-way tie between Apollo 13, Princess Bride, and Spiderman 2
Favorite Reality TV Show: Beauty and the Geek, for obvious reasons
Favorite MIT Location: Strobe Alley outside the Edgerton Center
Favorite Nerd Pick-Up Line: “You’re like a dictionary, you add meaning to my life!”
Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Ben and Jerry’s Half Baked, #2: Mint Chocolate Chip
Favorite College or University: The Massachusetts Institute of Technology

C’mon guys, did you expect any other answer? And to be completely honest, I really love MIT from the mobius strip in the Barker Engineering Library to Mystery Hunt to the Athena cluster door that opens the wrong way in Building 56 to the out-of-this world traditions to Everything Bagels from Alpine Bagel, and of course the passionate people who fill the stretch of the Infinite Corridor.

So while I blog and try to tell you about all the awesome things going on at MIT and the surrounding areas, I hope you all get an idea of what the community and life is like here at MIT. I’ll try to post a lot of pictures, links, videos, etc. so if something interests you, follow the links and if you ever have any questions, feel free to email me at bryanblogs at mit dot edu.

I do want to hear your thoughts about my blog and I want to hear about the questions you have about MIT, Boston, Cambridge, life as a college student, or things you want me to talk about in my blog, so do post comments.

The lie in my two truths and a lie was:

Haha, I can barely ride my bike without fear of injury. I’m a little accident-prone.

9 responses to “MIT or Bust”

1. Kelly says:

Hi Bryan! I like the lady with the mug in the background of your picture. Heh.

Howdy howdy howdy, anyway!

~Kelly

2. Mom says:

“Accident-prone” is a rather decaffeinated version of the truth — but nonetheless, mildy accurate.

Really proud of the “blog” as I am of all of your accomplishments.

You should have included your “rollerblading on ice” attempt as one of your truths, that really would have put your reader into confusion.

3. Anthony says:

Kelly, you’re terrible. raspberry

I can’t believe your mom commented on your blog.

5. Sara Mustin says:

Your favorite location is Strobe Alley outside the Edgerton Center. I have never heard of that. I guess I’ve been missing out.

I used to have a unicycle and I used to be able to ride it.

6. jgish says:

Hi wasup realy dig yo blog

7. Quirky blog!

Found out about some places I need to check out though smile

Best of wishes,

-Fatemah

8. Miguel says:

Your excitement about being at MIT reminds me of my freshman year… my whole life revolved around worshiping MIT. Then I got over it. (or so I’d like to think) MIT was no longer my life, but rather, the place I lived my life in. It’s very nice seing all these entries about MIT… but I wish I could see deeper into your mind; I wish I could see you, the stuff that excites you, the stuff that keeps you up until 3am, the ideas that go through your head. That’s what I feel defines what MIT. A lot of geniuses dealing with exciting things. But unforunately when one arrives, one is in shock and instead of living ones life, one lives for MIT as opposed to IN MIT. Only then it’s when instead of putting pictures of MIT’s President, MIT’s mailman and MIT’s lawyers, you start putting pictures of advisors with whom you have a urop, grad students with whom you work, code that you’ve hacked and extra-curricular stuff you’ve worked on. I suggest you get a urop that excites you; something that helps you discover yourself and your passions, as opposed to living FOR MIT.