Admin

Mar 14, 2010

MIT Regular Action Admissions Decisions available online

Posted in: Process & Statistics

MIT Regular Action admissions decisions are now available at https://decisions.mit.edu.

decisions.mit.edu

You can log in using the same username and password that you use to log into your MyMIT account. There are no interim screens, so you should be sure you are ready to receive your decision online before logging in to decisions.mit.edu.

Admissions decisions will be available exclusively online. Admitted students will receive information on their financial aid package and Campus Preview Weekend in the mail next week.

The numbers:

Applications: 16,632 (6.2% increase over last year)
Admitted students: 1,611
2010 admit rate: 9.7%
Waitlisted students: 722
Represented: 50 states and 59 countries

The record number of applications means that the admissions committee has worked harder than ever to choose the Class of 2014. We have put our heart and soul, and our best judgment, into every decision, and most decisions are extremely difficult. Most students who applied to MIT this year were excellent matches for MIT, and most were extremely qualified. Our task is to choose from these many, many excellent applicants to bring together a class.

I know I speak for all of the admissions officers when I say that this has been a very difficult admissions process because of the large numbers of very, very qualified applicants. It made reading the applications a joy, but it made turning away students that much harder. Thank you for applying!

We'll have more to say about the process for the admitted students, waitlisted students, and the not admitted students in the days and weeks to come. In the meantime, we'll provide open threads today for all three groups.

Good luck, everyone.

Posted by: Anon on March 14, 2010

Oops, rejected

Posted by: tree on March 14, 2010

Good luck everyone!

-Alex (MIT '12)

Posted by: Alex on March 14, 2010

nope, rejected lol

Posted by: Jens on March 14, 2010

haha rejected.

Posted by: mukhe on March 14, 2010

Yesssssssssssss.

To durranty- Indeed.

Posted by: Mark on March 14, 2010

rejected.smile

Posted by: ABotond on March 14, 2010

rejected, but no feelings MIT. You're still very cool. Good Luck!

Posted by: tree on March 14, 2010

Yeah, MIT is cool!:D let's meet as post-graduates ;D

Posted by: ABotond on March 14, 2010

I GOT ADMDITTEDDD PEOPLE!!!!!!!! I am sooooooooooooooooooooo htirlledddddddddddddddddd i can't even think properlyyyyyyyyyyyy i love you MIT!!! I have always wanted to post this post..and here I am doing it..I LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUU ALL!! ADMITTED! NOSAYR YASSIN !!

Posted by: Nosayr Yassin on March 14, 2010

thanks MIT for rejecting me!!!!

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

Rejected. As expected. raspberry

Posted by: David on March 14, 2010

rejected. peace with you MIT

Posted by: darxsys on March 14, 2010

Happy evaluations,
btw, 59 countries is kinda low,
How many countries are in entire MIT community (not just the class of '14)?

Posted by: Armin on March 14, 2010

WOOOOOOOHHOOOOOOOO! I GOT IN! YEWAHHHHHHHHH! SO HAPPY! RUNNING AND SCREAMING AROUND THE HOUSE! CONGRATS TO ALL THOSE WHO GOT IN! YAY!

Posted by: Tony on March 14, 2010

rejected.
I still love you, MIT,
even though you obviously don't.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

Waitlisted... grrr more waiting

Posted by: Molly on March 14, 2010

I fail. thanks MIT for the rejection.

Posted by: not a '14 on March 14, 2010

@System Administrator: Can you give a list of countries represented for the admitted students this year? Thanks!

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

Well I was rejected but it was a fun ride.

Now I'm sure of what school I'll be heading to as it was either this or another.

Have fun all who got in.

Posted by: sad '14 on March 14, 2010

@Anonymous
59 is really low, as far as they're not much more than 100 international students, I think they picked a couple from each country. New weds smile

My suggestion is to raise the quota for internationals. Come on, I want a real diverse community on campus. at least 100 countries.

I'm gonna drop school and start backpacking, lol

Posted by: Armin on March 14, 2010

Good luck all of you! MIT is amazing smile even though I'm at Harvard now...

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

Oops, rejected. Well, congratulations to everybody who got accepted! ^^

Posted by: Yigit on March 14, 2010

Is there anyway we can find out why we were rejected.

Posted by: = ( on March 14, 2010

rejected.
Still one more chance to get in as a graduate though.

Posted by: Zane on March 14, 2010

Well MIT, thank you for putting me on the waitlist. And when I say thank you, I mean it sarcastically. I know that you receive a lot of qualified applicants, and I feel like you reject them in favor of URM. I hope that rejecting some of the smartest kids in the nation won't come back to bite you. We may meet again for graduate school, but I doubt it.

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2010

Yeah, now let's go to Vienna! :D

Posted by: ABotond on March 14, 2010

Rejected....
I would say i enjoyed the application process and the interview, it was a nice ride...
I'll probably be heading to UCLA or U-Mich :D , so as i say, for those who are rejected...life goes on !!
Congratulations to all those who were accepted !! Best of luck to u :D
MIT still remains in my eyes the GREATEST !!!!
no hard feelings from my side :D

Posted by: Manish on March 14, 2010

Guys, quit your whining. MIT has its reasons for doing what it does, as does any other college. Those of you who were rejected, get over it, and change your plans. Those of you on the waitlist, plan accordingly. Those of you who got in, don't gloat and be thankful.

There are plenty of qualified applicants, but those, like anonymous who posted at 2:45, who are arrogant to believe that MIT is making a mistake by rejecting him or her, simply don't belong to the MIT community in the first place.

Posted by: Jimmy on March 14, 2010

I was rejected as well, thanks for the consideration MIT. @ =(, if I had to take a guess, no. with well over 10,000 applicants that could be rather close to impossible. I know they said that it wasn't a personal judgment against you, but it kinda was. and I think they had to reject a lot of people on grounds of "this guy is good, but this guy also did this" I think that more then a few of the rejected students are more then capable of doing the work and keeping up the pace, But they only have so many spots. So to those accepted, best of luck to you all. To those rejected, don't let this get in the way of you reaching your aspirations

Posted by: Frost on March 14, 2010

Dont worry be Happy.

...But I got accepted smile

Posted by: Sigh on March 14, 2010

hahahah u losers got rejected! ACCEPTED

Posted by: ahamd on March 14, 2010

I MADE IT!!!!! BE SEEING YA'LL HOPEFULLY NEXT FALL! I WORKED SO MANY YEARS FOR THIS MOMENT smile smile

Posted by: Pato on March 14, 2010

You are good at math. Do the math. 90% of applicants were rejected or waitlisted. 80% of the ABOVE-AVERAGE applicants were rejected or waitlisted. Admissions runs out of available slots long before they run out of wonderful, truly extraordinary, extremely qualified applicants. Admitted, rejected, or waitlisted--you have every right to be proud of yourself and see what a bright future you have ahead of you.

Posted by: Duffy on March 14, 2010

@ Ahamd: you remind me of a lot of arrogant people I know. Congratulations on you acceptance, if you keep that attitude I'm sure many of the "losers" you mentions will be far more successful then you could ever hope too

Posted by: Frost on March 14, 2010

Ive worked and worked but it seems im not good enough... Perfect SAT's Perfect GPA PERFECT EVERYTHING AND I STILL DONT GET ACCEPTED... This blows.

Posted by: why on March 14, 2010

@ahamd:

I think, MIT would be a better place without you... smile

Posted by: ABotond on March 14, 2010

@ahmad: the admission committee did a great mistake accepting you

Posted by: martin on March 14, 2010

To all those who got in, congrats.
To those who didn't it's probably better that way because you may have not been the right fit. Perfection isn't always everything. Though it helps. I know everyone who applied was highly qualified, and where ever you end up you'll be highly successful.

As for those who were waitlisted, I'm sorry. I know having patience is hard. But I also know of a few students who have been taken off the waitlist. So good luck to those.

Posted by: Annie on March 14, 2010

@ahmad
adcoms have made their greatest mistake!

Posted by: anon on March 14, 2010

Omg I got accepted!! I finally feel like all of my hard work for the past four years has been rewarded! As a band geek that had to deal with the GPA drop while still maintaining straight A's, managing the presidency of two clubs and taking 10 AP classes, my dream was finally realized!! I am so incredibly thankful and honored!! I'm sorry for those of you that got rejected, but you are still going far if your only "no" is from such a high ranking school! Those of you who got accepted, congrats and I'll see you around campus!! ^_^

Posted by: Rebecca Navarro on March 14, 2010

mit is trash

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

Anonymous (03:26):

You are trash:)

Posted by: ABotond on March 14, 2010

Rejected. To those fellow rejectees: Don't be bitter about it...

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

wow...i was admitted and graduated as part of the class of '05, and looking at these stats for the class of '14, it seems like admissions get more and more stringent every year!

Posted by: rainy908 on March 14, 2010

..... Rejected.. Only God know the best and I trust Allah..

after all of this experience, I can say that I´m still in love with MIT, so you can expect me to try again..

may be in the next year or even as a graduate.. but in all cases I´ll still like MIT..

P.S to all people in MIT: remember that there are people around the world who wish to be with you and care about you, so do your best and make the world better..

To all others who are rejected, have hope and as my father told me: "Whenever you face something that makes you feel alone, useless or even a loser; remember that new doors open for every door that closes, and sometimes we focus on what we lost that we don´t see what we got¨

Posted by: Alya Rashed AlQaydi on March 14, 2010

I got rejected as expected, but congratulations to all incoming freshmen!! If you weren't admitted move on, there are very good colleges besides MIT. Just bear in mind that the admissions process cannot be 100% fair. A simple interview or some essays are insufficient to show your most profound personality, your essence, or that you would be a good asset for MIT. And I am sure most applicants would. Probably the majority of those who weren't rejected also presented excellent letters of recommendation by very influent people. After all MIT is a school for elites: if you do not provide substantial proof that you somehow belong to that (intellectual) elite or wish to do so in the future, your chances are slim...
Likewise, if you are not US-American you have an additional disadvantage, just look at statistics and don't get depressed!

Posted by: Iñigo on March 14, 2010

Rejected. MIT is an amazing school, but I am at peace with their decision smile

People really need to stop whining and complaining so much.

Posted by: Mike on March 14, 2010

No worries. It's not the school you go to: It's the ambition you have to be great that will take you to success.

Posted by: Cathy on March 14, 2010

Blah. There probably isn't much hope for us waitlisted folks, is there?

Posted by: Rachel on March 14, 2010

What a day. Congratulations to all of you who were admitted! For those who weren't, you are all amazing. You must realize that the small number of available spots introduces quite a bit of arbitrariness into the admissions process that is no reflection of who you are, your capabilities, or how successful you will be. And most importantly, it should not affect how you view yourselves. Only YOU know what you are capable of, and no matter how long your application was, no piece of paper can adequately convey 17 or 18 years of growth and accomplishments. Please do remember this as you make your decisions.

And, there's always grad school!!!

Posted by: Sulinya on March 14, 2010

I definitely agree with you Cathy!

Posted by: Iñigo on March 14, 2010

I got into Yale so I don't care what MIT thinks....:D:D:D:D:D
::D:DDD:

Posted by: dont care on March 14, 2010

But, Cathy, sometimes a school drives your ambissions

Posted by: L on March 14, 2010

rejected :(
really got disappointed. MIT was, is and will remain my dream institution and hopefully i will apply again.

Congrats to all those who got admitted. Do add further stars to this prestigious institution.

anyone, even if rejected,: its just the beginning and everything happens for the betterment for us. May b some other better path ahead is waiting for us!! God chooses the best for us.

anyways MIT rocks.....LOVE YA MIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: ssss on March 14, 2010

Any candians that got admitted ? How many ?

Posted by: S on March 14, 2010

hi can i if i m in waiting list

Posted by: anuvesh on March 14, 2010

Did they even take the interviews into consideration?

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2010

@ dont care (04:20)

ME TOO! I'm pretty sure i'm leaning towards Yale at this point since I was wait-listed smile smile

Posted by: Noyce on March 14, 2010

I am just 16 years old and got rejected. I will try harder the next time if there is.

Posted by: Brian on March 14, 2010

Accepted. Looking forward to campus preview weekend.

Posted by: Nasir on March 14, 2010

To be sure, I was sad to have to stop putting "'14" after my name, but I think I am okay otherwise...

The way I see it is this: The admissions pool was so deep this year, it was really fantastic just to be Deferred! That means I got considered for one of the best schools in the nation!! Probably, there were many, many other students like me who were really amazing, but during admissions the officers probably had such a hard task that they had to look for any little thing possible to help the decision.

For instance, I know my Math SAT scores were much lower than an averge MIT student's, despite the strength of the rest of my application. Also, I am rather artsy (not necessarily a bad thing, but I think a few more Science Olympiad contests would have helped) and also, my interview/essays were probably weaker than they could have been. So just the little factors added up probably made the result what it was.

But I am not bothered, because I know that this is not the end of the world. I know what kind of a person I am, and I think that MIT knows as well! Why else would I have been considered? Come on, everyone, be a little more upbeat! Remember that one essay question that asked you about a failure/hardship you had? This is one of those. Getting over it will make you more of an MIT student in spirit than taking it bitterly.

This is just the beginning of our lives, not the end.

I know I am looking forward to college wherever I go, and I am certain that MIT is in my future somewhere, either as a transfer student, a Harvard student next door raspberry, or a graduate student. Cynthia Breazeal, I will see you in the Media Lab someday, working on robots and arificial neural networks!!

Good luck to everyone, and MIT--I am still here with you! Go Beavers! Thanks for making the past six months some of the best in my life, and teaching me that the world is whatever I make of it...

3.141592!

Posted by: Amethyst on March 14, 2010

@Amethyst: I think you're a really cool person. I'm sure you will succeed no matter where you go for college.

Posted by: D '14 on March 14, 2010

@Amethyst:
Yeah, we love you ;D

...from Europe:)

Posted by: ABotond on March 14, 2010

with what SAT scores did u guys get admitted????

Posted by: sbh on March 14, 2010

Did they look at the music supplements and interviews from EA?

I don't see how they could have accepted anyone from Utah when they won't accept someone with a perfect GPA at the most competitive and most difficult school in the state. Don't even mention the facts that I am an Eagle Scout, that I have played piano my entire life, that I have earned enough college credit for an Associates Degree, and that I rank in the 99 percentile for the ACT.

By the way, if you didn't notice, I didn't get accepted. They really should stop overvaluing AP and IB credits. Concurrent Enrollment and college courses is where it is at.

Oh well. I guess I am screwed since the application deadlines for other schools are over. No college at all for me? That sucks.

Posted by: Apple on March 14, 2010

rejected :'( I would've loved to go to MIT.
Congratulations to all of you who were accepted!!

Posted by: anonymous on March 14, 2010

@ahmad
I'm glad I didn't get accepted to MIT and don't have to see you struggling in keeping up!

Posted by: Saman on March 14, 2010

@ ahamd

You sure you got in? I thought competition among students is discouraged.<a></a>

Posted by: Armin on March 14, 2010

What happened to mrmish?I thought he was very articulate and also had a good sense of humor!Did he get accepted?

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2010

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I GOT REJECTED :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D... wait... that's bad...

Posted by: o.0 on March 14, 2010

@Amethyst,
Loving your words! It is really just the beginning. and Mit WILL be somewhere in my future(near future, I hope=P).
It's really up to us.=D
COngrats for those admitted and for those denied, I feel the same way. = We will find somewhere else as long as you have passion in your life.
For those waitlisted, remember why you held on for so long in the first place!

(Sorry for the speech-like post but considering these would be my last few I might as well send some good vibes. =))

Posted by: Val'14?rejected on March 15, 2010

Wow, it was pretty exhilarating logging into my account with my parents at my side only to find that I had been rejected. Goes to show there really are no guarantees in life. All admits, please accept my congratulations, you guys deserve it! Until grad school, farewell MIT :'(

Posted by: Mohammad S. on March 15, 2010

with GPA 3.8 and 9 international Medals in science and also 1 Special Award for the best Inventions,a recommendation from head master of association of inventors of Asia, and another recommendation from a professor of Mechanical ENG of university, I GOT REJECTED TOO!!!!!!! now, what should i do?????? I really don't know what should i say..... I had a plan for study at MIT since i was 14!!!!

Posted by: Babak on March 15, 2010

Posted by: Babak on March 15, 2010

@Babak, I'm sorry about how you feel- I got rejected too. Although I did not have accomplishments as impressive as yours, I did push myself to do science fairs and "differentiate myself" because of my dream to study at MIT. However, as I look at the rejection letter, I can't help but feel grateful to MIT for everything it has done for me. MIT gave me the incentive to become who I am, and no matter where I go to college, I'll know that I did truly believe that I should be part of it.

Grad school, perhaps?

Posted by: Keshav on March 15, 2010

YESS...got in!!!!

Posted by: Obinna'14 on March 15, 2010

@Keshav: Thanks a lot for your comforting;) MIT was a goal for me, and conducted my life to a better situation.I'll apply for MIT each year...till they accept me! But It would be better if i could understand why they rejected me and what should I do MORE to get admission!
MIT is still my goal:-X

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2010

MIT is still my goal:-X

Posted by: Babak on March 15, 2010

Wow, u Americans r truely very optimistic and humorous. by the way, i got rejected too

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2010

It's a pity that the admit rate for internationals is just 3%. MIT should learn something from European univerities, which have a great international community: usually around 20% of the students are foreign!

Posted by: Iñigo on March 15, 2010

Congrats to all the admitted students. I feel the pain for the others. I know the joy of getting in, my sister is Kimberly '13.

To those admitted students please attend CPW, it's a lot of fun.

Posted by: Nasser '18? on March 15, 2010

I am in

Posted by: Jenny on March 15, 2010

I still feel dazed with this MIT journey. Perhaps I stop here but I feel the bond with MIT's Open Course Ware is going to grow in the upcoming years and enrich me intellectually.

Posted by: Manyasha on March 15, 2010

Posted by: Manyasha on March 15, 2010

Hello,
Good luck to every student who applied in MIT!
I think that all these students are special and they will be accomplished if they work hard to achieve their dreams and aspirations. The students who were not admitted have a new challenge: to do not get upset and choose the best alternative by following a secure life path. The ones who were admitted: to profit from this wonderful given opportunity and make the best use of it.
Being accepted in MIT convinced me that work and devotion will always reward even life is difficult and poses a lot of obstacles.
I sincerely wish the best to everyone and hopefully expect to be part of MIT's community in the fall of 2010. smile

Posted by: Arbana on March 15, 2010

Good luck for every one , I'm rejected and I'm dreaming to be one of you. I have done all what I can and more but.. in Vain. Tough I didnt lost hope and I believe I will enter one day this university. I'm SURE.
I just was singing I'm yours to MIT.
By the way, Could some one has a suggesttion to me to came back to MIT.
Please, I need a response my email is [email protected]

Posted by: joker on March 15, 2010

@Iñigo:

Partly you have right, BUT that 20% is mostly for the citizens of the European Union, which is (on paper at all) a close alliance.

I can understand these admit rate, and I accept, that I was rejected. Such is life, we have to move on, and then try again in the grad school smile

Now what we have to do is doing our best.

Posted by: ABotond (Vienna '14) on March 15, 2010

Hi all. I'm a second-year MIT student. Congrats to all of you who applied, I know how hard the process was and how many hopes and dreams were banked on this process. So I'd like to tell you all that it's not over. Life is all about the long haul. If there's one thing that MIT taught me more than anything, it's this: everyone blows out sooner or later. But if you're the one who can take it, gets back up, and continue on with a smile, you're the one who wins out in the end.

To those who got rejected and are getting pissed at the institute, believe me when I say that you should thank your luck that you got rejected, because MIT would have wiped you out. If one little rejection letter is enough to make you quit, or lose your cool, you weren't made of the right kind of mettle for this place. You'd become just another one of those sad cases who brags about being at the top of the world, falters as soon as they realize that everyone here is as good as they are if not better, and breaks when they realize they start losing ground. As they say, pride goeth before the fall.

But to those of you who, admitted or rejected, takes a look at the new game and resolves to win this one, or at least to do as well as you possibly can, take comfort in the fact that you've taken what the institute had to throw at you and not only survived, but you won. IHTFP, we all do, but when it's over, we'll be smiling at the other side. I look forward to seeing some of you next year, and some of you in four years.

Cheers,
fiicere

Posted by: fiicere on March 15, 2010

fiicere ... could not have said it better. They would never make it here

Posted by: '13 on March 15, 2010

After reading some of these comments, my anticipation for applying to MIT increases exponentially...

Posted by: pn hopeful '15 on March 15, 2010

Rejected from the Deferred list.
Well, I HAD to be a match to make it into the deferred list.

Posted by: Roodawgy on March 15, 2010

accepted!

Posted by: anonymous on March 16, 2010

Denied....
But no hard feelings whatsoever. There is no time for you to whine people, lets jus pick ourselves up and move on, after all, I am quite sure that even during the application process, we all had it in the back of our minds that mit was a long shot...and besides, God has a plan for all of us so whatever your decision letter reads, it was meant to be..
for those accepted, all the very best of luck from my side and for some of us here, beware that arrogance is never the way forward, infact it may just be the start of your descent..
take care guys
peace mit, still look up to you

Posted by: Behan on March 16, 2010

oh and fiicere couldn't have said it better...

Posted by: Behan on March 16, 2010

Rejected. But you are going to lose a donation in the future.

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2010

@fiicere: I wonder how most of the abovementioned would have reacted the first time they failed a test at MIt smile Probably would have died of apoplexy. Little bit prima-donna-ish if you ask me, but who am I to say...

A note about pride, though: I think it would be more accurate to say that *arrogance* cometh before a fall...the sort of pride some of us have gotten out of all of this is the good sort, the kind of pride in self that makes you hold your head up higher as you go down the street. smile

ReCaptch: "have buffalos" Does MIT have buffalos? Lol...just kidding!

Posted by: Amethyst on March 16, 2010

Whahaha I am MIT

Posted by: Anonymous on March 17, 2010

fiicere
Nicely put out speech. I agree with it. Life isn't over for those who got rejected or denied. It is just beginning and this rejection will hopefully make you better and stronger. By the way I got accepted(i have been on cloud nine for the last several days)

Posted by: ulziibayar otgonbaatar on March 17, 2010