More For Admitted Students by Matt McGann '00

The Class of 2011 directory.

Beginning today, admitted students can log into MyMIT for the Class of 2011 guestbook directory (post your picture!). And also, feel free to use this entry’s fresh comments space for more admitted students chatting.

44 responses to “More For Admitted Students”

1. Kai says:

Thanks very much. I saw it. It’s a great chance to know each others.
    Great Job.
    Lol, first comment

2. Grant says:

first post! Hey Matt, I think you meant C/o 2011 ^__^

Thanks for the heads up!

3. Kai says:

Great Job.
    Lol, first comment

4. Grant says:

NOOo kai you beeeatt me! :-(

I hit “preview” instead of post (tab space instead of tab tab space) and the computers here in the library are slow so it took long to undo the damage!

Do you know if there’s any way to change the guestbook-listed name, Matt? Mine is linked to my app, which is my legal name but not really what people know me by.

*still jealous about not getting a tube*

6. jl says:

I got my tube today too. poster’s amazing, someone please take a high quality picture of its night-dome goodness so that I can make it my computer’s desktop (my camera decided to not help me in my quest).
    The confetti was also a nice touch, although I had this idea that when I opened it the confetti would come flying out propelled by some sort of MIT-y device, so I actually opened my tube slanted to my right.

7. Confetti! Finally! It’s what I’ve always needed. Many schools probably have posters (although MIT’s was above average), but few-to-one have CONFETTI

8. Emily says:

I got one too! Didn’t even know what it was ’till I saw confetti- ok who else was jumping up and down- I want to know!

9. Emily says:

10. Ritchie says:

Jumping up and down? Nope, maybe because of the online notification option…but I was still in a state of shock. It doesn’t really wear off for a long time, does it…

11. AWB says:

My parents didn’t quite understand why I was yelling, “tube! tube!” and dancing around the house. And I was definitely jumping up and down, despite the online notification!

12. Mary says:

Emily, I was jumping around too, and screaming like a crazy person!

I love the tube! I may never put it down!

Congratulations!!!!!!!

13. Kristin says:

I want my tube, too! Grr! By the way, everyone should join the MIT Class of 2011 facebook group!

Anyone else that got in for athletics?

15. Miel says:

The confetti was a very nice touch….didn’t realize it had flown out at me until my mom found some in my hair:) How did that work, exactly? smile

16. Jenny says:

Well I’ve talked to the volleyball coach and I will probably play volleyball. But I mean it’s D3 so it’s not like I knew I was getting in or anything

17. Bonnie says:

Love My TUBE! can’t put the thing down I already hung up the poster (this coming from someone who has never hung a poster on their wall their entire life!)nice confetti!

18. Mike A. says:

haha,my high school counselor asked me to bring my tube into the office tomorrow, because she said “its probably the last one i’ll ever see”. the poster practically glows with awesomeness.

19. John says:

I wasn’t bouncing off the walls when I got my tube because of the online notification, so my first challenge as an admitted MIT student was to remove everything from the tube in the two minutes before I had to rush off to work without the confetti flying everywhere. smile (I made good use of one of the end caps.)

Bonnie: I’ve also never hung any posters on my wall before, but I might just have this one framed!

I loved the confetti!

21. Josh V says:

do acceptances in march come in “THE TUBE” also?

22. Aaron says:

I think they realized they didn’t need a mechanism to launch the confetti-with the amount of excitement with which we opened it, it all came flying anyway!

23. Fidel says:

Awesome, I got my Tube today!

24. Fidel says:

So we’re all agreed. The Tube and poster rock! Thank you MIT!

So, the poster. Am I the only one that thinks there is symbolism all over it? I can’t figure out what it means yet, but the 5 stars and 7 fish can’t be random. Anybody else want to help me analyze it?

Okay, so does the tube come by UPS or USPS? I still refuse to check my status online, and am waiting anxiously for the mail everyday…

27. HaoQi says:

USPS.

“I am going to put up my nerdy MIT poster under my nerdy galaxy poster in my room.
    It’ll fit right in. grin” – Lindsay

Wow, me too! We might have the exact same galaxy poster. o.O

28. Mike A. says:

by any chance is this the “chemical galaxy” poster that has the periodic table arranged in a spiral, set against a picture of a galaxy? because I have that poster on my wall too.

29. Phillip G. says:

Got my tube this afternoon! My sister called me at work and said “you have a package from MIT” and I was like “Is it a cylinder and cardboard-like” and she said “…..yes” and I nearly lost my cell in the excitement. Dunno where I’m gonna put the poster but I love it all!

30. Amelia says:

Apparently unlike a lot of people, I didn’t realize it was coming in a tube… I had just gotten my band pictures so I thought maybe the company had accidentally double-ordered for me? So anyway, I thought for a moment all my college admissions letters would come in that way (this is my first one). Man am I disappointed! wink

31. Emily says:

I still can’t believe it! I guess my high school hasn’t had anyone accepted to MIT since the eighties or something like that, so everybody has been congratulating me for two days now. Today I walked into an AP Chem class and they all started clapping!…. and the whole science department is flying out to Cambridge (from Detroit) for the 2011 graduation- no kidding. I CAN’T BELIEVE I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it possible to have been admitted and still not get your tube in the mail today?

33. hehe I just wanted to see that go across the bottom

MIT is so awesome! Once in awhile I burst into random laughter and joy.

34. Lindsay says:

I really like that the acceptance was something cool like a tube full of confetti and a poster rather than just the standard letter.
    I’m really excited, so I really hope I can pay the tuition!
    I am going to put up my nerdy MIT poster under my nerdy galaxy poster in my room.
    It’ll fit right in. grin

35. Zaira '11 says:

They punched a hole in my tube at the post office :( Now my poster has a huge hole in the middle. I tried taping it, but it doesn’t make it look any better.

I asked the admissions office if they could send me a new one (I want to frame it), and they said yes. Thanks!!

36. Lumpy says:

Is the talk.collegeconfidential.com page down or is it just my computer?

37. Lumpy says:

38. Esther L says:

The tube is perfect for building a rocket! wink

When do we get the admit packet??

When do we get the admit packet??

41. David says:

Oh poop, my old MyMIT account doesn’t log in anymore? Does this mean we can’t see which little ’11 kids got in? (Hee, they’re not mittens like us… :D)

42. marchballer says:

WHOOO!!! I just found out I got in!!!! I was so excited I just went up and touched our newly painted ceiling. so my hands are covered in white paint. Oh Snap!!!!. I need to go buy a coat cause I live in the south where the high today almost reached 80. So extatic right now that I cannot even post correctly. OMG Ima have such a hard decision in April if I get into Stanford and Rice.

43. Mike A. says:

Hey, is anyone else out there thinking of going for Course 16? (aerospace engineering)