MIT student blogger Mollie B. '06

Next steps by Mollie B. '06

Relax, guys. I'm still going to be around.

I finished my last final exam yesterday, and barring any unforeseen complications, I’ll be graduating from MIT on June 9. (The ceremony will be webcast here. You should watch it and cheer for me.) My parents and younger brother are coming up from Ohio, and that weekend is also Adam’s 21st birthday, so his parents are coming up from Plymouth for a big family dinner to celebrate his birthday and my graduation.

Adam still has a year to go until he graduates, and then he hopes to stay at MIT to get his masters in aero/astro. He and I are moving into Westgate, which is an MIT grad/family dorm on the very west end of campus, tomorrow (omg so excited). All of our stuff is carefully packed and ready to move, and I am super-excited about our little apartment. So all of you who are fretting about me being gone — don’t! I’ll be living on campus. You’ll probably see me in Laverde’s all the time.

I’ll be continuing to work in my undergrad lab full-time for June and July. Morgan, my boss (in biology we call them “principal investigator” or PI), wants me to write some sort of short and sweet paper on the work I’ve been doing for the past year and a half. I’ll be graduating with three publications on my CV! That’s pretty exciting.

I’m taking the month of August off… sort of. I am not so good at the “do nothing” thing, so I’ll be working a few hours a week in the Admissions Reception Center.

As far as other summer plans go, my parents have also informed me that as a graduation present, they will foot the bill for Adam and me to go on a vacation to the Bahamas (yessss). Adam is less excited about this, because his family goes on ski vacations rather than beach vacations; he’s like, “But what do you do on vacation to the beach?” So far, we’re also planning to go to Water Country at least once with our friend Mark ’07 again this year. We’ll be going to the Quonset Point air show with Adam’s family for the third year in a row (well, third year in a row for me, second year in a row for Mark, and twenty-first year in a row for Adam, probably), and Adam and I will be heading to Plymouth, “America’s hometown”, for fourth-of-July festivities. I’ve been informed by my mother that I’m expected back in Ohio for at least a few days — apparently the relatives need to throw me a graduation party. (Hey, I’m not going to complain.)

My PhD program‘s orientation starts September 5, and school begins September 18. I’ll be taking a few classes (at least one of which will be a repeat of a class I took at MIT, yay!) and working part-time in my “rotation” lab — you get to rotate through as many labs as you need to decide which lab you’d like to do your thesis project in. There are approximately a majillion labs to rotate in, and I need to get crackin’ on picking a few that sound good to me.

As far as further developments in my life with Adam… well, look for some updates on that sometime between Christmas and Valentine’s Day. :)

11 responses to “Next steps”

1. Christina says:

Oh God, I got all teary eyed in the middle of this post.

I would TOTALLY watch your graduation, but I’ll be graduating (from high school) at the exact same time.

Is this your last post??? :-(

2. AnotherMom says:

Molllie,

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation. I have only “met” you via the blogs as my daughter worked on her MIT application and attended CPW. You were a tremendous help to her as she decided where to attend college. I’m very grateful for this blog. She will be MIT Class 2010.

I’m very proud of your success. It is wonderful to see hard work rewarded. All the best to you and I look forward to hearing about Mollie and Adam’s future adventures! Take good care and enjoy grad school this fall. You’ll have to let us know when you are Dr. Mollie!

3. Star says:

Hey Mollie – take Adam water skiing. raspberry

4. Shafquat says:

Congratulations to you and Adam and your families on this great occasion. I am a father of a student of MIT class’10 and I developed a sort of “de’ javu” due to multiple visits of your blogs; they are indeed very informative and inspiring.

Best of luck for your future.

5. thekeri says:

Congratulations on the graduation that hasn’t happened yet!

Good to know you aren’t completely leaving, at least…

So wait, when do you stop blogging?

Don’t worry guys, I’ll just make Mollie guest blog for me every once in awhile for the next 3 years. =P

7. Mike says:

At MIT, do you have to do a senior thesis? My english teacher often mentions them, but as a senior, I never heard you mention one throughout the year.

8. JKim says:

Congrats on the upcoming graduation!

9. Congratulations Mollie. I hope I will visit you soon.

10. Omar says:

Hey Mollie, Congratulations!

I’m so happy that you are graduating and going to continue at a great college, and near us! Since you’ll be around I might probably be able to see you sometime, and that rocks! I’ll be at MIT since June 24 (I’m going for Interphase smile ) so I’ll be working hard since the beggining to do good (or at least fairly good?) at MIT smile

Congratulations again!