MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

Nike+iPod by Mitra L. '07

read entry & vote at the end

Apparently opening up the new Apple store on Fifth Avenue was only enough to keep Steve Jobs busy for a weekend — today, Apple and Nike announced a Nike+iPod Sport Kit partnership.

This part doesn’t make a ton of sense to me. Why does Apple need to partner with a particular shoe company? A runner’s choice of running shoes is a very careful and idiosyncratic one, and consumer theory dictates that the more choices, the better. Furthermore, the shoes available are all pretty ugly.

…Then again, a research paper I read in 14.11: Experimental Economics reports that too many choices can be demotivating. (You may have seen this research quoted in the book Blink by The Tipping Point author Malcom Gladwell, but read the original paper, it’s very interesting.)

This woman’s running form is lovely. Notice how her otherwise-blank running outfit features Niki logos on her shoes.

The voice feedback (“Your average pace is…””) is enough to get me thinking about giving up my Dell and lucky Asics. If I end up purchasing this product, I hope my friends interning at Apple this summer get me the employee discount. Are you listening, Carter ’07?

What do people think about this Nike+iPod Sport Kit? Vote in the comments on a Likert scale of 1 to 5, where 1 is least awesome and 5 is most awesome.

I am going through 14.32: Econometrics withdrawl, so I will calculate the mean and standard deviation of your votes.

19 responses to “Nike+iPod”

1. Sunil says:

This looks to be less expensive and a hassle than those GPS deals.

I hope other companies add a pocket, too. At the same time, I prefer my Nike Frees over my Mizuno (Wave Alchemy?) and Brooks (no idea what model), and don’t like the idea of moving to a new model altogether just for this. If Nike makes this standard on its entire running line, then, I’m interested.

3.5

2. Jack says:

The only problem is that real runners with a favorite shoe won’t change for a new one. I personally know people that buy shoes in bulk. Sunil, you actually run in your frees, wow. I overpronate too much to do that.

3. Sunil says:

Jack, but here’s the thing, the Sport Kit (in its current state) probably isn’t marketed at the hardcore market–that segment of the population already has a device to do the job. Regarding the Frees: I overpronate as well and have the shoes and corrective orthopedics to help correct this. However, I have found that running with the Frees has not brought any pain. The only problem is with my hip flexers, and that is [seems to be] remedied by heavy stretching before and after runs.

4. Shannon says:

eh, a 3.75

However, I can’t imagine sacrificing my trusty Brooks just so I can know my pace. As long as I know landmarks and have a watch I can figure it out. Besides, Nikes give me blisters.

5. sara says:

Nikes always hurt my feet – they don’t have much incentive to do real research about running schoes, while brands like asics and mizunos put a lot of care into their productes because they depend on the quality of their runniing shoes for the majority of their profit.

Also, just a general running question – What are the resources for club running? I run hs xc and track, but I dont want to compete with the teams next year, but I def want to keep running (maybe do the boston marathon !?!??!)

Thanks

6. Olga says:

Umm, I live in the town that Nike was invented, so I’m surrounded by the brand and I’m really surprised it isn’t loved everywhere. I like my running shoes, and I think some of Shocks are pretty sweet, so I give it a

5

7. Brianna says:

Sara – I’m thinking about some type of club running thing too. I think I’m going to end up doing xc but I’m not sure about track yet…and I would absolutely love to run the Boston marathon! Running buddies?

Also, I wouldn’t trade my mizunos for knowing my exact pace.

2

8. Ayush Gupta says:

Random number: 5.

2.718281828…

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899…

i guess we’ll never know his answer then…so much for the mean and standard deviation…

Hi Anonymous, thanks for reminding me. The mean is 3.21748954013248 and the standard deviation is 1.07001670365812.

13. mark says:

1 + meh.

14. Dan says:

Hi, I am going to be a Senior next year in high school and want some tips on applying and best ways to get accepted to MIT?