Decisions

Dec 16, 2009

Not Admitted

Posted in: Process & Statistics

There were a record number of applications for Early Action this year, which unfortunately means that we had to turn down a great number of incredible students. For those of you who fall into this category, this is an open forum for you to talk.

First!

Posted by: Stephen Gordinier on December 16, 2009

Deferred, definitely disappointed. I'm at a loss for words, but I do understand my position amongst the thousands of more qualified applicants. I tried and I pray that I will have better luck come March.

Posted by: dosoon('14?) on December 16, 2009

Dosoon...If you can't figure out which section to post, I don't have high hopes for you in the Spring.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

Epic fail for me. I was hoping for the best, but apparently I just don't stand up. Hats off to the deferred guys and the admits. Here's hoping for other colleges.

Posted by: Nestor (Not 14') on December 16, 2009

I was rejected from MIT and I thought that I had a shot at it even!!!!!

Posted by: Joseph on December 16, 2009

Damn it.

Posted by: someone on December 16, 2009

Well, I guess it's off to CMU for me. Hopefully.

Posted by: Evan on December 16, 2009

I am confused. I am a parent and thought that if you applied early admission, and were not accepted EA you automatically went back into the pool for a second review. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted by: A on December 16, 2009

Georgia Tech. I really need that presidential scholarship now

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

Yay! Harvard is the way to go.

Posted by: Josh on December 16, 2009

A: You are either Admitted, Deferred, or Not Admitted (denied)

Posted by: '13 on December 16, 2009

@A
There are three possible outcomes for an early applicant:

Acceptance
Deferral
"Rejected"

There are approximately equal numbers Accepted and "Rejected" with the majority of applicants being deferred (those aren't quotas, just what typically happens)

Posted by: Snively on December 16, 2009

School is going to be terrible tomorrow...

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

About the same number admitted will be denied. The vast majority will be in the middle and are deferred to the regular round.

Posted by: Dad on December 16, 2009

A: if you apply EA, you are either admitted, deferred, or not admitted. If you're deferred (and only if you're deferred), then your application will be kept in consideration and will be reviewed again come regular decision admissions time.

Hope that clears things up.

Posted by: Jeanne '13 on December 16, 2009

Snively = Wrong. 1732 were rejected, 590 accepted. Hardly equal

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

more than twice as many people were rejected as opposed to accepted this year

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2009

Thanks for the information. Disappointing, but luckily there is a full scholarship waiting at another school.

Best to all.

Posted by: A on December 16, 2009

Yeah...
This year was a killer in terms of EA rejections, but now I don't have to worry about getting into MIT. Here's hoping for TRANSFERS!!!!

Ha
HAHA
HAHAHA

I shall quote Schwarzenegger: "I will be back!" (add the Austrian accent as you please)

Posted by: Nestor (14?) on December 16, 2009

Ouch. Yes, there are many who are now out of the running. Guess that should make the deferred even happier.

Posted by: Dad on December 16, 2009

actually... 1201 were rejected.

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2009

@Anonymous
Do your math again:

http://mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/admissions_statistics/index.shtml

4,681 - 540 - 3,644 = 497

Posted by: Snively on December 16, 2009

Happy that for every one rejected here like ten will take his spot come regular.

Posted by: gep on December 16, 2009

I'm talking about this year's stats -.-

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2009

The Admissions Committee has completed its review of your application and I am very sorry to tell you that we are unable to offer you admission to MIT.
Okay so as a parent does this mean rejected or deferred?

Posted by: gayle on December 16, 2009

Snively, hate to burst your bubble, but that's last year's data.

This year's was just posted on the Admissions website (above the forums).

Rejected :( I was hoping I would at least be defered, but no. Congrats to those who made it.

Posted by: Ryan on December 16, 2009

@gayle
it means rejected

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2009

Actually, I don't think anyone outside our office knows exactly how many students were not admitted, so it's no use speculating on the blogs.

If you weren't admitted - relax! MIT isn't Valhalla. It's just a cool place to go to school. There are plenty of other cool places where you will be accepted and which you will attend.

Best of luck in all that you do,

- Chris

Posted by: Chris Peterson - MIT Admissions on December 16, 2009

@gayle

Sorry, that's a rejection.

I think I will defect to Caltech.

Posted by: Stephen Gordinirer on December 16, 2009

@Jeanne
This year was an abnormality, note that in my original comment I said "those aren't quotas, just what typically happens"

It's not really fair to share outliers with people. We've hit that critical point where SO many people are applying that more people have to be rejected, but in the past (and typically) it hasn't been that way, and it's been approximately equal.

Posted by: Snively on December 16, 2009

1201 rejected is the right number. If u got this number right you deserve to go atleast to the "deferred" list!

Posted by: anon1 on December 16, 2009

can anyone do math around here?

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

Rejected... I'm actually FINE with it! I knew what I was up against, and I tried not to get my hopes up TOO high, so I didn't fall so hard. It's been fun MIT! See you when I apply to grad school. grin

Posted by: Vhiremath4 on December 16, 2009

Ahh, MIT. Sorry you had to miss out on me =P

Posted by: Sergs on December 16, 2009

How do you know whether you were deferred or denied?

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

thanks for the help everyone. now to burst her bubble....ugh!!!So sorry to all the rest of you also. I hope you all make it into other wonderful colleges.

Posted by: gayle on December 16, 2009

Aww, man!

I wanted to go to a school where I was less likely to get in trouble for building a giant slingshot in my dorm room window. :(

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

@Snively
Definitely true, but I kind of doubt that the admissions statistics will get any "better" from here on out.

Or maybe the '14s just have an abnormal love for MIT. That's nice too smile

Denied. I was also denied entry into NYU, which bites. In MIT's case, however, I suppose I expected being denied. In any case, it looks like it's a second-rate college for me! =D

The least that schools could do is give a bit of criteria as to WHY you weren't accepted. It makes the denial a bit easier on a person, I suppose, instead of the generic "You were good, but not good enough" spiel.

Posted by: Yaanu on December 16, 2009

@anonymous

the letter should say either you are NOT offered admission, in which case you were denied, or explicitly that you were deferred to the RA applicante pool...... in which case you are deferred xD

Posted by: anon on December 16, 2009

GO HARVARD!!! GO HARVARD!!! <3

Posted by: gocrimson! on December 16, 2009

Well, a few days ago, I'd have been sad, but seeing as I just got an admission offer from Oxford University, I'm not upset. At least the spot I might have received will go to someone who will actually attend.

Posted by: anonymous on December 16, 2009

Snively,

Please don't confuse everyone here with your wrong #:

Following should be the correct #:
5684 - 590 - 3893 = 1201

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/apply/the_selection_process_application_reading_committee_and_decisions/ea_decisions.shtml

"EA Decisions"
In a year of record early action applications, 590 students have been admitted to the MIT Class of 2014.

There were 5,684 Early Action applicants this year, representing a 13% increase over last year’s record. The deep applicant pool, combined with a commitment to maintaining equity between early and regular action admissions, meant that only 10.4% of applicants were admitted. An additional 3,893 applicants were deferred to regular action, where their applications will be reviewed anew.

Posted by: Fred on December 16, 2009

@Yaanu: that's really a lot of work you're asking from all the admissions officers =( They literally read through thousands of applications, and to write comments on every single one would take them forever. In addition, a lot of times it's really hard to pinpoint exactly why you were not accepted, and I find it a bit unreasonable to ask the admissions office to put into bulleted points why you weren't "good enough".

That being said, many people who are rejected aren't necessarily "not good enough" for MIT, it's just admissions feels you may be better suited to another school. Don't despair, there's a ton of awesome colleges out there (with better financial aid, *coughcough*). And there's always grad school. Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Vivian '12 on December 16, 2009

Fred -

No need to be snide to Snively. He was correct about the trend for most years and posted that before reading the new updated numbers for this year, which were only just posted.

Well... it's off to UMCP for me most likely. Hopefully I'll have the chance to transfer when the 15ers come in.

But yeah, one thing...

BRING BACK THE FRIGGIN' 500 WORD.

I can't express why I love this school in 250. xD

Posted by: ShroomsMcDuck on December 16, 2009

I've wanted to go to MIT since I was in 3rd grade, but oh well. I was denied but it was a privelage applying. There's always the hope for transferring or grad school. Good luck to everyone on getting into other colleges and congratulations to everyone who got accepted.

Posted by: Alex on December 16, 2009

When I was a young boy
My father took me to MIT
To see the science fair

He said "Son, when you grow up,
would you be the savior of the people
the world and the universe"

"Yes"

"Good, because one day, I leave you,
A phantom to lead you,
To join the MIT students"

Sometimes I get the feeling he's watching over me,
He offered me everything,
and only asked for one thing in return
And I can't take it, now that I've failed

I can't carry on, I can't carry on, I can't carry on...

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

The 590 admitted students come from 44 states and 445 different high schools. First generation college students comprise 14% of the admitted group, and 27% are members of underrepresented minority groups. Women comprise 47% of the admitted students.

Any one want to start breaking it down by how many middle class white males from midwest with parents who went to college were accepted?

Posted by: kelly on December 16, 2009

Looking at the few ml of Hawaiian punch bottom of my glass wondering what if. This has been fun, but the shows over. All that's left for me to do now is just "watch the weather change."

10 pts to the one that names the song from which the quote is derived.

Posted by: Iamthephage on December 16, 2009

That is fantastic! Kudos to the admissions team.

Posted by: kelly on December 16, 2009

Denied. But it's OK. This is why you have a back up plan.

Posted by: Light ('14...not.) on December 16, 2009

@kelly: I want to know what high schools got more than one student admitted. Apparently I should have gone to one of those schools.

Posted by: Ryan on December 16, 2009

@ anonymous
The news is new, your perspective a little clouded. Leading comes from within, you have not lost that.....you have not failed. Take the reigns, you are someone to be proud of.

Posted by: you are carrying on on December 16, 2009

Ryan
Ask MIT. Those are their stats

Posted by: kelly on December 16, 2009

@ Anonymous poet -

I'm sorry. I know this is hard. But you will be fine, wherever you go, and your father will be proud of that.

@Ryan -

Not sure I understand your question about schools "got more than one student admitted."

@Chris Peterson

He means schools attended by more than one admitted student

wait they admitted 590/1000 of the 2014 class in EARLY DECISIONS? what...

Posted by: confused member of the class of 2013 on December 16, 2009

oh oops. I forgot they admit way more than 1000
my bad..

Posted by: not so confused any more on December 16, 2009

It's only 50 more than last year...

Posted by: Anonymous on December 16, 2009

That helps greatly rofl, can't tell if you fully understand what it means.

BTW, 590 students getting in from 445 high schools implies that at least one high school had multiple students admitted to tech. He wants to know what schools had 2+ students admitted.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

to Iamthephage, it think them lyrics r from "Desolation" by Tool?

Posted by: DWV on December 16, 2009

Heads up guys. Everything happens for a reason. I'm sure all of you are amazing people. Stay strong and keep fighting teh good fight.

Posted by: Kristina '13 on December 16, 2009

@DWV

CLOSE!

I can say one thing about the best and worst moments in life:

This too shall pass. -Abe Lincoln

Posted by: '13 on December 16, 2009

What anonymous said. 590 students from 445 high schools. I suppose some of them could have been homeschooled...

Posted by: Ryan on December 16, 2009

"Any one want to start breaking it down by how many middle class white males from midwest with parents who went to college were accepted?"

Yeah, I'm curious about that too.

Posted by: Alec on December 16, 2009

@Anon

If you ever have some spare time and want to see something ridiculous make a profile on mychances.net.

Check out your calculated chance of being admitted, then edit you profile and change your race to Black and look at them again.

Posted by: Alec on December 16, 2009

Racism at it's finest.

Posted by: 0 on December 16, 2009

@Ryan -

There were schools from which multiple students were accepted. However, the other students at your school have basically no bearing on you, at least in the sense you mean.

Put another way, another kid being accepted from your school would not have negatively impacted you in any way, shape, or form. I hope that answers your question.

@ everyone talking about race

There's only one way to get into MIT - the hard way. There are plenty of folks of all different colors and backgrounds here. Like Ryan's school, your race doesn't get you in or keep you out of MIT.

And I'll be watching race-related comments very closely. There is a fine line between being disappointed, and being disappointed and taking it out on someone else for imagined slights.

Anyone know how many students from Thomas Jefferson High School were admitted early?

Posted by: Benjamin on December 16, 2009

Harvard is the way to go!

GO CRIMSON!

Posted by: John Harvard on December 16, 2009

too lazy to find it myself, but I think this guy who used to work here(ben?) wrote a really good blog saying how he sympathizes with the people who didnt get in.....

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2009

I wish I knew why I was rejected...

Posted by: anonymous on December 17, 2009

Chris,

Agreed. But you can not use the wrong # to defend your wrong statement (wrong after wrong)if you don't verify it first. That is a basic lesson to give and learn.

OK. I will stop it from here.

Posted by: Fred on December 17, 2009

For all the applicants posting here, and especially @Anonymous 9:58 PM:

Is this disappointing? Absolutely. Does it hurt? Definitely. Will it take a while to get over? Indubitably.

Will you do so? Yes. Will you get an incredible education somewhere else? Yes. With memories to last a lifetime? Yes. Even if you never transfer to MIT or go there for graduate school? Yes.

I know how you feel; I got accepted to MIT off the wait list. In a way, getting turned down would have been easier, as that would have put an end to the uncertainty and anxiety, and I could have put it behind me and moved on. Not to mention losing a sizable non-refundable deposit to another school!

Since then, I've studied at other top-notch universities in my graduate studies and postdoctoral work, worked as a professor at the Canadian equivalent of a U.S. Research I university (of which MIT is one), and currently hold an endowed chair at yet another university. I've also been on the Educational Council for years, and have interviewed many applicants (although none for Early Action this year).

So I've seen a lot of academia. And I can definitely say that you can get a top-notch education that'll be well respected worldwide at many universities, as long as you put your energy and drive into it, as you did in working your heart out in high school to reach this point, and to applying for colleges.

Every place has its ups and downs. Even MIT. Nothing against the place, but I couldn't wait to leave after 5 years (I stayed for my master's) and go to a "real school" to see what that was like (you know, with a Division I football team and traditional spirit, that kind of stuff). And yes, I'd do it all over again.

So hold your head high! Not being admitted to MIT is not the end of the world, and nothing to be ashamed of. The pain will pass, but the world is still your oyster, as long as you apply yourself and work hard.

Posted by: Charles S.Wong '90 on December 17, 2009

@Chris
No doubt all these students are exceptional, so why does MIT even feel the need to point out stats that are clearly meant to show the school is progressive in its admissions policy. It only makes the “other” 36% of the population suspicious. Especially when they do not represent 36% of the early admitted students.

Posted by: kelly on December 17, 2009

I would like to hear from anonymous 9:58 again if you are there....we are forging our paths together, none of us know at this point where the roads may lead.

Posted by: you are carrying on on December 17, 2009

I'm here. How long? Who knows.

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2009

I dont know about you guys, but being rejected has motivated me to prove MIT wrong. does anyone agree?

Posted by: Sam on December 17, 2009

Blurgh, denied. MIT was my first choice, but guess it's time to fill out some more college applications.

Best of luck to those that were deferred and accepted (no matter how jealous I am!).

Posted by: Jesse Weaver on December 17, 2009

lame birthday present. i really gave them no reason to reject me. im disappointed

Posted by: Ibrahim on December 17, 2009

im scared i won't be accepted anywhere else too. doesn't anybody feel that?

@Iamthephage
MCR. Black Parade.
It saddens me that I know this....

Posted by: anon on December 17, 2009

@ anon 12:52

Oh wow LOL!
wrong guy.
you mean 09:58 PM!
seriously? no one has got it yet?
these 10 pts. are burning a hole in my pocket.

Posted by: Iamthephage on December 17, 2009

Anon at 12:47 AM

Grief is contagious. Don't let it cloud your other aspirations. I'm more than certain you will be accepted elsewhere. This one time will not account for the rest of your life blah blah blah. Who am I to talk. I had dreams of finding a place I fit in. I thought that could be MIT. Now I'm stuck going to a state university that supports drunkards and pseudo nationalism. Doubt isn't my issue. It's anger.

Posted by: Philosoraptor on December 17, 2009

@Kelly -

MIT values diversity of all types, be it racial, economic, geographic, political, or otherwise. I say this to point out that there is no "other" 36% of the population. Adding up those numbers does not leave a chunk of "regular people" in our pool, because some of those women are FGC, and some of those underrepresented minorities have parents with graduate degrees, and so on and so forth. These forms of diversity cut across all individuals. In your example, for instance, the midwest is underrepresented in our applicant pool, and thus applicants from the midwest offer a desirable diversity that we look upon favorably. It's just another piece in the puzzle.

More than anything else, I can assure you that while there are many reasons that a student might fail to be offered admission into MIT, not being "diverse" enough is emphatically not one of them.

I have removed posts which personally attacked you because they are not appropriate for this forum. I did think they were good points that further illustrated my argument, however, so if "a mom" and "Philosoraptor" would like to post their anecdotes again then I think that would help alleviate any misunderstandings that may persist.

Posted by: Chris Peterson - MIT Admissions on December 17, 2009

@ Chris Peterson And all of MIT Admissions

After I drink a soda, I wash out the bottle, peel off the label (keep sake), and recycle it. What I do with the label is put it in a box where I keep all the labels of sodas I see are delicious, different and colorful. I've grown quit a large diverse collection of these tiny excerpts of what the sodas represent. However! if the label is something I really don't appreciate (polar bears drinking soda, that's just inhumane) I will not collect it. What I definitely don't do is look at where it was bottled. The way I see it is that where ever it was bottled, thought went into that. Lots of time with the artists, recipe makers, and bottlers went into its construction. If a soda came from Cambodia, and was Okay, it satisfied my thirst, and had a mediocre label it probably would not enter my library of sticky paper labels soley on the fact it's Cambodia (I have not tried Cambodian soda, but I am up for it if anyone sends P.O. Box 516 =D) . To disregard other equally (and even more)deserving labels based upon their location of manufacturing would seem.. well discriminatory. For it is the overall presentation that is exhibited that makes the soda shine. If there is an interesting quirk, obvious shiny part, even a mislabel (intentional, and non intentional)it will enter my box. What I'm getting at is, I don't put labels in my box because they're foreign, but because their cool. In fact now I'm tearing off the label to a jolt cola electric blue (I need the caffeine for finals, it's my second favorite soda) and I have over 20 of them. I love it's flavor and presentation. Anyways, I just thought you might want to know that. Sorry for the gramatical errors, I'm kind twitchy from the energy spike (glucose + caffeine = bad writer).

OH and another quote for these mountains of quotes

"If this song sounds bitter, it is and I am"
James Maynard Kyenen
A Perfect Circle (Intro to the live performance to "three Libras")

@ Philosoraptor et al

We happen to think that choosing between meritocracy and diversity is bad, too. Fortunately with the astounding group of students that apply to MIT we can instead choose both, because we think that both are vitally important to the culture and community of the Institvte. True meritocracy breeds diversity. No one is admitted to MIT without earning that place, and no one is turned away simply because of who they are. We work very, very hard to balance every part of an application and choose the best class. That's often difficult and always painful given the small admit rate.

As an admissions officer I sincerely hope you don't take our decision as a sign that you somehow failed, but rather that MIT might not be the best place for you (for many reasons that may have little to do with how brilliant or gifted you are). But never for a moment think that the only reason we would or wouldn't admit someone to MIT is because of race, gender, religion, economics, culture, address or any of the hundreds of small-minded thorns that spring from prejudice. We simply don't work that way, and our past admissions statistics demonstrate it.

Posted by: Dave McOwen - MIT Admissions on December 17, 2009

The Angler fish is a beautiful specimen. In the deepest parts of the ocean it extends a light from the curtains of a cold dark heavily pressured world. As a curious organism approaches that beacon a hypnosis of safety and warmth lures it further. Ultimately it's impaled by the jagged teeth of the Angler. The victim is then reverted back into darkness.

Good night, the show is over. *takes off fashionable top hat and bows*

One ture story to those who were not admitted - One international student who won 2005 IChO gold medal was rejected by MIT in 2006. 3 years later, he graduated from Rice and was admitted to MIT this fall (2009) as a PhD student in Chemistry. So, this is just a beginning, not a final yet. Good luck....

Posted by: Fred on December 17, 2009

admissions people were here at 2:40 am
that's some dedication

Posted by: anon on December 17, 2009

Can people post their SAT scores and their GPA so we would know what scores got denied?
mines:
SAT 1830
GPA 3.827

Posted by: Anon on December 17, 2009

Anon at 9:59 -

There won't be a pattern to what SAT scores and GPAs show up for admitted, deferred, or denied students. The scores aren't what determines your admission. Your application as a whole is.

Posted by: Keri on December 17, 2009

Keri is correct.

@ anon 9:50am - if you have not figured out by now that MIT does not admit students based on their numbers, you may not have read the enormous amount of information available on the website regarding the selection process.

After qualifying numbers (700+ on SATs in Math, Critical Reading and such), the most important aspect considered in admission to MIT is the match between you and MIT. This portion of the website says it all:

http://www.mitadmissions.org/topics/pulse/the_match_between_you_and_mit/index.shtml

Even some students with scores somewhat below that range are still admitted if the "match" is there. Students are so much more than test scores and GPAs.

Posted by: another anonymous on December 17, 2009

I wouldn't get too down because of this. When I was applying MIT in the early 80's, I think there were about 6000 applicants TOTAL, and about 30% were accepted. Frankly, I don't think I would have gotten in this year. Good luck to all of you. You'll do great!

Posted by: chazman on December 17, 2009

Why would I get rejected and not deferred?

Posted by: Raff on December 17, 2009

I got rejected. I feel horrible, but I know that I will be at MIT someday.

MS in Chem Eng. in 2015 smile

Posted by: intuition on December 17, 2009

Come right this way...

Posted by: Berkeley on December 17, 2009

Ok, so I got denied and my sister got accepted.

Me: 1540 SAT, 4.0 GPA

Sis: 1160 SAT, 3.8 GPA

I shall seek revenge! lol

Posted by: Los Angeles on December 17, 2009

Los Angeles: What? You mean you both didn't get rejected

Posted by: 0 on December 17, 2009

will we be told why we weren't admitted?

Posted by: Ibrahim on December 17, 2009

This hurts so badly. I KNOW it doesn't mean there's something wrong with me, I KNOW it doesn't mean I'm a failure and I KNOW I'll end up happy and successful in wherever my life leads, as will just about everyone in this thread (If you applied to MIT and thought you could get in, chances are that you're awesome to start with). HOWEVER. I love science so much, it makes life beautiful, and the knowledge that I have NO chance of experiencing such an incredible place in such an incredible atmosphere brings a lump into my throat that's been there for almost 24 hours now. Yes, science can happen anywhere (as long as there's graph paper), but MIT is the absolute best place for it on the entire planet!

Posted by: Stephen Gordinier on December 17, 2009

wow... I'm shocked

I thought I wasn't going to have a problem at all. Competition is a lot fiercer than I imagined.

Posted by: 0 on December 18, 2009

@Chris Peterson - MIT Admissions, with all due respect Mr. Chris, do you have any idea what I went through to get accepted to MIT? All the students who got admitted from my school are the one's who don't deserve acceptance in the first place. MIT should select those students who struggled in their lives to become what they are today, because it is really difficult to maintain a higher GPA or grade point if you are struggling almost your entire life and live in a domestic violence shelter. The students who got admitted have their parents to provide them the materials, teachers to make them a student capable for MIT, but inside those students they do not possess the heart of a scholar, who just don't study and research but also does it for the well-being of human kind. I am not saying all the applicants are the same, but the one's I know don't deserve the acceptance at all. I myself live in a Domestic Violence Shelter and currently supporting myself on welfare, This shelter will be taken away from me this month and my welfare money will be stopped on the June 18,2010 because I will turn 18 on that day. I proved myself as a true student by sending my transcripts to MIT where my average GPA with 11 AP classes were above 4.00 from my country and this was one of the proves I had that I am a good student who is capable for the acceptance at MIT but because I am going through all these domestic violence situation I cannot maintain that GPA here. Why I wasn't given the opportunity when I was the person with the biggest need? Why my dreams were crushed because I was poor? Is it my fault that my dad is abusive and I am currently on welfare and about to lose my shelter? MIT Admissions should judge students who are the age of 17 but living and leading a life and think and view the world as a true scholar and philosopher, not someone who was provided everything since the day they were born by their parents and who don't posses the courage to be a scholar by heart. If this is the way MIT Admissions select students, then I'm really afraid to say that MIT will have a darker future as It is not creating scholars but rather creating some rich kids who will never do a single thing for human kind and whose achievements will never mean anything to our future. I was really shocked the way they selected, still don't know how many people suffered for MIT Admissions unjustified Judgment. Sorry for this rude comment but as I believe that horrible judgment was made, I had no choice but to comment in this way. I loved MIT from the deep inside of my heart, but I guess MIT wasn't the true place for a scholar these days, rather for a hangout place for rich undeserved students who don't even think about the well-being of the future mankind.

Posted by: Mir Ali on December 18, 2009

@Chris Peterson and MIT Admissions
I know my previous comment was disrespectful, but I request to MIT Admissions just think for once, what is going through me at this moment, a person who lost everything with this decision, I am losing my shelter, my welfare money and I lost my acceptance to MIT, Didn't MIT Admissions think for once about the consequences I am about to face just for their one "No"? I think out of those 590 admitted students there will be very few whose life would be ruined with this "No" of MIT Admissions. They applied to other colleges and have a clear chance of getting accepted there, but for me I had my total faith in MIT that they will select me for my current situations. Everyday I go to school and people make fun of me because I am poor and helpless, my mom doesn't have a job and so do I. But we are desperately looking for a shelter everyday and for a job. I ask the MIT Admissions, out of 590 admitted students how many are new in this country, had a horrible childhood full of pain, suffering, mockery for not having a father and for being poor? How many faced domestic violence mentally, physically when they first arrived in U.S.A ? How many have a single parent who is responsible for their reason for their living and pursuit of happiness and commitment towards for the well-being of mankind? Society crushed me beneath it, but I still want to do something for it so people will remember me for my greatest inventions and Ideas. But out of 590 students how many made a commitment to MIT and to themselves "If I get accepted, all my studies and hard work goes towards MIT and the future world" ? Students who got rejected have other colleges to go as they have sure chance of getting accepted there, but I had full faith in MIT and I applied here because I wanted to be part of that team who work not for achieving something, but for achieving the best. I request and beg to MIT Admissions committee to review my application just for one more time, because their one "Yes" won't just help me, but also my helpless mom who looks at me every single day , hoping that I will be the future scholar of this earth . I am committed to bring prosperity for the future world as My inventions will be only created for the well-being of mankind and all my credits will go to one institute " Massachusetts Institute Of Technology". Please hear my cry and I promise to MIT I won't fail. I know they don't have space, but the study and the teaching is the only thing I ask and beg for. I will sit on the floor of the classroom instead on a chair, I will sleep outside of the dorms, but I will be happy at that moment that I am a student of MIT. I suffered through my whole life,It won't matter to me if I sit or sleep on the floor. But please let me study at MIT, I will do anything for that opportunity. I am a scholar by heart but poor in my financial status. I promise to pay back every single money to MIT if I get admitted. I love MIT for it's commitment and it's Ideas. I pray and hope that MIT Admissions will reconsider my case.

Posted by: MIT on December 18, 2009

@Chris Peterson and MIT Admissions

Posted by: Mir Ali on December 18, 2009

@ Admissions staff:

I see the 'EA Decisions' page states that the 590 admitted come from 44 states. Did MIT accept any US citizen applying from outside the US?

Posted by: anonymous on December 18, 2009

@ anonymous dec 18, Yes they did, all the way from Canada and Saudi Arabia

Posted by: '14 on December 18, 2009

@ Admissions staff or '14:
How many applied US citizens applied EA from outside the US?

Mir Ali, please explain how a "no" from MIT caused you to lose shelter and money? If what you say is true, did they notify the particular and and government office to revoke your benefits? No, they did not. If you are as smart as you say you are, you should have been planning for this potential scenario. There are 100s of other school to choose from, and I suggest you start applying.

Posted by: 0 on December 18, 2009

Regarding questions about diversity:

I am a parent of an applicant, but I think I can fill in some of the holes in the explanation of the diversity statistics.

First of all, and this may be a little bit harsh, but as applicants (not students yet) MIT's obligation in this process is to the school, not to the individual applicants. Their mandate is to pick the 1,000 applicants who combined will advance the interests and reputation of the school. Once you are enrolled as a student, then the school has obligations to you.

Diversity is certainly an interest of the school, although it obviously is not elevated above the interest of admitting qualified applicants. For example, the social atmosphere of the school is enhanced by admitting something closer to 50/50 male to female than 80/20. Also, if you are a suburban person, the 4 or more years of college may be the only chance you get to live with and interact with inner-city or rural people; if the college admissions people include some inner-city and rural people in the selection.

MIT had roughly 4500 qualified applicants and had to choose 500 for early decision. Once they gathered the pool of qualified applicants, they looked for characteristics that make some applicants unique. There are any number of things that can make you unique, but growing up in a New England suburb with two college-educated parents is not one of them. Probably because this is the most common history of qualified applicants. So while the suburban male had the easiest time becoming a qualified candidate (and I realize that becoming qualified for MIT was not easy for anyone, just relatively easier); the inner city female has a relatively harder time becoming qualified, but an easier time standing out as uniqe to the admissions department.

Posted by: Mike S on December 18, 2009

@Mike S & MIT Admissions
A lot of chatter about "MIT values diversity of all types". But the burning question is, why they do not report the % of white males admitted. Is it because they don't value their merit as much as the 27% members of underrepresented minority groups. or 47% of woman admitted students.
Why not give us all the stats and let people make their own conclusions?

Posted by: Paula on December 18, 2009

Paula...Time for you to move on...

Posted by: 0 on December 18, 2009

Oh well, I guess there is always the option open for grad school for MIT.

Hear this out, I will be back in the next 4 years and I will apply to MIT for grad school, and I'll have to do much better in college than i did in high school.

Posted by: Justin H. on December 18, 2009

Mir Ali, please read.

Don't overreact so strongly about the MIT decision. Seeing that you overcome so many "hardships" in your life, overcoming a denial from MIT should be simple and easy.

Don't expect to let others go easy on you because your life has been hard. And how do you know that the more fortunate students at MIT don't care about mankind?

Perhaps you need to see a doctor Mir Ali.

Posted by: Mir Ali is a weirdo on December 18, 2009

MIT makes mistakes too in acceptance. In my case its what statisticians call a type 2 error. I was denied 3 years ago. But I still don't go to this school.

Posted by: RZF on December 18, 2009

An admission is overrated.

Seriously. People assume that if you make this admissions cut, you're a super-genius and your life is set. That's a big lie. I know a lot of people who got rejected who are better at math/science than a huge fraction of the kids who go here.

Besides, many of the grad students here come from "second-tier" colleges.

Posted by: '13-er on December 19, 2009

@ everyone talking about race -

I find it ironic how you're all taking this on MIT. Seriously, out of the top 10 schools, MIT has, BY FAR, the least race discriminatory admission policy.

Just look at Harvard or Princeton. Case closed.

Posted by: 0 on December 19, 2009

^ Well, forgot to include Caltech. Caltech has a pretty non-discriminatory system too.

Posted by: 0 on December 19, 2009

@Mir Ali: I can see how badly you wanted to get into MIT. You should not let a rejection letter put you down. I believe your disrespectful post was out of anger and frustration. If it wasn't, then you just aren't the kind of person MIT is looking for.

There are tonnes of other schools that will accept you, no doubt about that. I suggest you deal with this disappointment and work on your other applications. Good luck.
PS. Make sure your anger is not reflected in your applications.

Posted by: Bd on December 19, 2009

Caltech here I come. The weather is much nicer anyways!

Posted by: H on December 19, 2009

Thank you everybody for your comments, it helped me to kinda get a hold of myself, but still I was really angered my MIT admissions unjustified selection, but I promise to you all, I will try my hardest as possible and get accepted to other good colleges and prove that for a true scholar and philosopher it does not take the admission to MIT as the whole world is filled with resources and it takes peoples support and courage to make oneself the way he desires. Just pray for me that I can become the biggest success possible as my past and current situations are now the biggest obstacles of my life and I am badly in need a roof over my head and some money to help myself and my mom as Jobs are not available these days as our President thinks it's better to spend money on war of Afghanistan than to improve the economy of his own country where people are losing their jobs because of his many unthinkable decisions. Society has crushed me financially, my hopes and dreams but not my heart of scholar and my ambitions. Once again, Thank you all for your comments.

Posted by: Mir Ali on December 20, 2009

Mir Ali: "Thank you everybody for your comments, it helped me to kinda get a hold of myself, but still I was really angered my MIT admissions unjustified selection"

I know the rush of emotions against MIT when they don't accept you. I too went that way, except I shut down my PC and went to my bed to wept. Maybe this was your way of venting and I approve it.

BTW, for those who want the demographic data for 2014 applicants, wait for next year's cycle to see it.

Posted by: Rafael (NOT '13) on December 20, 2009

To Mir Ali:
I'm no Admissions Officer, but you present yourself here as a whiny, self-entitled kid and if that's what you showed in your application, it's no wonder that you didn't get admitted. Right off the bat you start your post trying to tell people at the Admissions Office how to do they job. Then you proceed to digress into your little drama where you assume that you should get special treatment just because you had it tough. How do you know the people who were better-off financially don't care about others' well-being? Why do you think that you are better? Because you say so? So far your label of a "scholar and philosopher" seems to be self-applied. Also, stop spouting the "well-being of humanity" like a cheap catchphrase, you keep repeating it like a broken record, together with how much the society and the majority of the Virgo cluster has hurt you. You seem to just be too immature to be able to cope with what life treats you to and I doubt MIT would want a person like that either. Instead of brooding about how your life is an epic struggle against all ods, just go and apply to another institution.

Posted by: What's in a name? on December 20, 2009

I am sure Mir Ali's attitude came across in his application. He certainly is not MIT material. Just look at his quote "society crushed me financially." Blaming someone else for his situation. Glad to not see him at MIT

Posted by: Parent '13 on December 20, 2009

wow... This tread is soooo depressing. Academia in general... I just don't know what to say... Its a harsh world. I admit, I like seeing people here judge others qualities. Its very funny. We should have lots of passionate people post their opinions about the admission committee.

Posted by: Mr A on December 20, 2009

@ Iamthephage
the quote is from Disposition by Tool

Posted by: AA on December 21, 2009

Don't worry guys. Just go to youtube and search famous failures. It should lift your spirits.

Posted by: RZF on December 21, 2009

A denial can hurt more than it should. MIT is still me dream school. I've worked so hard all my life to make one of my dreams come true.
I'm first generation to go to college. No one from my school ever gets accepted to an Ivy league or school as brilliant as MIT. I'm in the top five people in my school and I am active in my school and community.
It's heartbreaking to want to succeed in the best, but you are most likely going to be stuck in the ghetto just because your high school doesn't provide the best education.
I wonder how long it will be until I stop feeling so.. bad about myself.

Posted by: Fpacheco on December 23, 2009

I love MIT!

Posted by: sam i am on December 23, 2009

"I'm sorry. I know this is hard. But you will be fine, wherever you go ..."

What kind of pathetic attitude is that from an admissions officer ? Seriously, wake up ....
do u know everything will be ok ? Why on earth do u come up with lousy phrases of this kind ....

really one could wish the worst of karma for people who come up with lousy excuses and don't really genuinely mean it

Posted by: anyone on December 24, 2009