Quinton McArthur

Feb 21, 2011

NSBE MUSE Colloquium

Posted in: Life & Culture

Last week, I attended the MUSE Colloquium hosted by MIT’s NSBE Chapter at the Black Students Union on campus. NSBE is a wonderful organization that promotes academic excellence, professional development, information sharing, and networking for aspiring young Black engineers. Participants at the MUSE Colloquium displayed their summer research from 2010 via PowerPoint presentations. The three best presentations won scholarship money to help support their continued research. 1st Place won $500: 2nd Place won $350: 3rd Place won $150.

Long time MIT Lecturer, Sekazi Mtingwa, kicked off the event by sharing a bit about his research in physics. I made a little video of the event. Here are the highlights. Enjoy!

PS - Please forgive my camera shake. This is my first Iphone video ever. I promise to get a better camera for my future productions. ;-)

The embedded player is giving the following error : "This video is private.".

Posted by: Vivek on February 21, 2011

My fault Vivek. The video should be public now.

Posted by: Quinton on February 21, 2011

Hey, Awesome stuff. Yeah, thanks for the translations!

Posted by: Drew on February 21, 2011

What does the " '" after names mean?

Posted by: 0 on February 21, 2011

Like '13 and so on.

Posted by: 0 on February 21, 2011

Great question. The number after the name indicates the year of graduation from MIT. So for instance, Dr. Sekazi Mtingwa graduated from MIT in 1971. He actually received his bachelors from MIT and his PhD from Princeton. Both degrees were in physics.

Posted by: Quinton on February 21, 2011

Yay Quinton you figured it out!
-BB4L

Posted by: Elizabeth '13 on February 21, 2011

Refreshing to hear about such programs that help locals in the neighborhood and within the country.

Posted by: 0 on February 21, 2011

Nice !!
made with iMovie 2011 ?

Posted by: Shehzad Lokhandwalla on February 23, 2011

i m from india..i have 99 percent scores in my 10 class but due to some problems i couldnt do well in 12 class..i was planning to aply for mit but didnt do so..now m in 2 sem for BE..m planning to apply for transfers to mit..do i have any chances of getting in despite my 12 class scores being not so good..i hv top grades in almost all d subjects in my 1 sem..

Posted by: sanaya on February 26, 2011