MIT student blogger Laura N. '09

Oh Sam by Laura N. '09

Guess what? Ben's mom. Ha!

First let me say that I am touched that Sam dedicated his BAREFOOT CONTESSA blog entry to me. I know how much that entry must mean to him, judging by how many times I heard that “good neighbor policy” story.

However, this entry is dedicated to Sam, who neglected to mention that HE is also celebrating his birthday today (along with myself and Ben‘s Mom, of course). Oh Sam.

While I’m talking about Sam, I just have to tell you a little detail of my life, just because it’s amusing to me. So Sam works the front desk at Burton Conner, and often I’ll see him while coming and going. It’s just a few seconds before I’m out the front door or into the elevator or staircase, but whenever I see him, as long as he doesn’t look terribly busy I make a point to say hi. Now, as I mentioned, it’s only a few seconds, so I just blurt out a crisp, “Hey, Sam.”

And every single freaking time, it makes me think of Clarissa Explains it All.

Please, please, someone out there tell me you know exactly what I’m talking about and it doesn’t make me crazy.

Anyway, my birthday has been pretty boring so far. I turn twenty, which I’m starting to refer to as my “early life crisis.” (No longer a teenager! What?!) And I’m still at home even though all of my friends have gone back to school because I have to wait to get the rest of the stitches from my wisdom tooth extraction out. I really, really want to be enjoying IAP right now, but instead I’ve been spending hours upon hours watching midmorning television programming. (I don’t want to admit to how many episodes of MTV’s Super Sweet Sixteen I watched in horror….)

Well, that’s all from me. Back to your regularly scheduled programming. (Mostly I just couldn’t let Sam get away without mentioning it was his birthday too. =P)

17 responses to “Oh Sam”

1. Colin says:

Na na na na
    Na na na na na (ALL RIGHT ALL RIGHT!)
    Na na na na na
    Na na na na na na (WAY COOL!)
    Na na na na
    Na na na na na
    Na na na na na na (JUST DO IT!)

2. Sanja says:

Whaaaaaaaat?!?! It’s your bithday? AGAIN? I’ve already wasted a year on these blogs?!
    Just kidding, of course smile Reading MIT blogs is one of the most usefull things I do on the net :D
    Happy birthday Laura! I wish you… well… copy/paste anyone’s new year’s wish and that would be it :D Let all your good dreams come true ;D

3. reddy says:

happy birthday laura!!!!!!!!!!

4. Hannah says:

Oh I definitely know what you mean about Clarissa Explains it All, I would think the same thing!
    Happy Birthday!

5. Buddy says:

Laura,

Happy Birthday!

And I know exactly what you are talking about.

Just please tell me that Sam doesn’t use a ladder to climb up to your dorm room window.

6. theresa says:

I miss all the old Nickelodeon shows .. (I can’t say how many conversations I’ve had about Clarissa, Doug, Legend of the Hidden Temple, GUTS, etc. etc.)
    happy birthday to laura, sam, and ben’s mom (what a crazy coincidence – it’s my dad’s b-day too!)

7. Ruth '07 says:

I wish I could make a snarky ladder theory reference about Sam and Clarissa, but I just don’t have it in me.
    Happy quarter-life crisis!

I like how your entry referencing Sam’s entry is before its existence.

It’s kind of like time travel.

Or, just another testament to how FREAKIN SLOW SAM IS.

9. Shashank says:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Clarissa Explains It All was so awesome. I just ordered the episodes on DVD from Amazon – knowing my luck, they’ll get here the day after I come back to MIT.

11. Mikey says:

Ahhh Clarissa Explains it All..I remember that show.

Happy birthday Laura! As my friends told me to freak me out when I turned 20…’you’re halfway to 40!’ Bwahahaha…happy birthday!

12. Kenechi says:

Clarissa Explains it All… that was like the best Nick show back in the good old days…

Happy Birthday Laura!!!

13. Happy Birthday, Laura. Hope I can meet you next year!;)

YEAH, you know, I always wanted to be Sam, if for no other reason except that I could play the awesome customized video games Clarissa always made on her computer. Actually, there was one episode where Sam and Clarissa tried dating, and it freaked Clarissa out so much that at one point he put his ladder up and she threw it off of her window, sending him tumbling into the rose bushes below. Poor guy.

Anyway, almost all the windows in Burton-Conner have screens that can only be removed from the inside, so Laura doesn’t need to worry about me anytime soon. Dizzle’s room, however, is another story…

15. bhushan says:

Happy Birthday be lated

16. Joe P. says:

I suppose a belated “Happy Birthday” is in order.

“Happy Birthday!”

Wow, I’m good at this. =P

17. Dizzle '09 says:

Happy belated birthday and happy wisdom teeth recovery! Why aren’t you here yet?!

Also, Sam ’07, I’m touched that you would even consider being my climbing-though-my-window stalker. Simply touched. I never knew you cared.