Sep 18, 2007

Overnight Program: Now Taking Requests

Posted in: Visit

In case you haven't checked your MyMIT account lately, I thought I'd mention here that the MIT Overnight Program is open for business. You can stay overnight on campus beginning on September 30th, and since we need two weeks notice prior to your arrival, we've already begun taking requests.

There are a variety of details on this page, but here's a quick overview:

• You can request a 1 or 2 night stay
  • Overnights are available Sunday - Thursday (we can't host Fridays, Saturdays, certain holidays, finals week, etc.)
  • Please try not to request a visit less than 2 weeks in advance
  • You can only select dates up to 60 days in advance
  • During January and February, preference is given to seniors and to admitted students, and starting in March, the program is only open to admitted students

Please note: host-matching is done by people, not by a computer (it's an art!) so it can take up to a week for you to receive a response after submitting your ONP request. Thanks for your patience!

If you have any questions about the ONP, please leave them in the comments. Thanks!

---------------------------------------

On a totally unrelated note...

Tonight we're gonna party like it's 1999. Because this entry is the 1,999th MIT Admissions blog entry.

Which means...

The next post will be #2000. Woot! Any bets on which blogger will get it?

oooh exciting! have the new bloggers started blogging? it would be awesome if one of them got it! '11 represent!

Posted by: Grace '11 on September 18, 2007

I'll go with Grace...new blogger.

Different admissions question: I had my interview almost a month ago, and it's still not on MyMIT. I tried contacting my EC about it, but haven't heard anything back. Any ideas?

Posted by: Becca on September 18, 2007

Prefrosh: If you can spend a night at MIT, do it! And if you can do it, spend another day exploring Boston (and take a Duck Tour!). And if you can come for CPW, DO IT. I knew I wanted to go to MIT, but when I came here, I felt so much better leaving home for college because I knew the type of place I was coming to.

Posted by: Hunter '11 on September 18, 2007

2k post ? Wohoo ! May I suggest Pretty Ricky, Linkin Park and Mica to get your party starting ? And, of course, Akon !

Posted by: Isshak on September 18, 2007

The MyMIT page has been saying all day now: "The deadline to apply for freshman admission to MIT has passed for entry year 2007. The online application for entry year 2008 will be available in late summer."
I had already half finished Part 1 but can't access it anymore.
ONP page is working fine, though.

Any help?

Posted by: Matti on September 18, 2007

I don't think I'll make it by 2000....But I'd quite like to have the 2011th post...

Posted by: Karen on September 18, 2007

My bet on who DOESN'T get the 2000th post: Laura

Posted by: Harrison on September 18, 2007

I don't know...I'm guessing either you or matt, being the top posters and all...^__^

Posted by: Rebecca from Seattle on September 18, 2007

Matt may be busy... wink

Posted by: 0 on September 18, 2007

2000th post would be amazing, but I'd settle for #2011 as well. How 'bout it, Ben? wink

By the way, let's not forget about the other half of the overnight equation...student hosts!

Posted by: Paul '11 on September 19, 2007

I realllyyyyy want to spend a night at MIT!!...But I dont think dad will share my enthusiasm. Again, one of the drawbacks of being an "international" MIT fan!....hmph!

Posted by: Nihar on September 19, 2007

I'm a step ahead! =P Hope to see you today, Ben!

Posted by: Hawkins on September 19, 2007

Cool! But I have no chance this year :(
Wish me good luch and have a chance to stay for two nights smile

Posted by: Tina on September 19, 2007

What a terrific program! My son has already had a welcoming email
from his overnight host. They've even managed to match him up with
a host who's doing the same course he wants to do at MIT.

Some people think that college visits are best left until after admission
offers are made, to help you make your final decision. But my son's
decision is not likely to change, and this visit is our way of making
sure that, even if he is not admitted, he will have the experience of
sleeping in an MIT dorm and walking along the Infinite Corridor at least
once in his life. And while he's doing that, I'll be taking the Duck Tour
and having fun exploring Boston.

So our flights are booked, and we're coming to MIT in October!

Now back to my riveting conversation with the Head of Sixth Form
about the Secondary School Report:

--"What is a transcript? What does GPA mean?"
--"Don't worry, I can explain all that..."

Posted by: Mum in England on September 19, 2007

Oh, I really wish I could visit, but my parents (understandably, I guess...) won’t let me fly all the way to Boston for a two day visit, even if it is MIT. But Hawk, you have to tell us ALL about it. And same goes for anyone else lucky enough to arrange a visit.

Posted by: Star on September 19, 2007

Ben,
By your post, do you mean that admitted students definitely can stay overnight in March, or just that the admitted have priority?

Posted by: Dustin on September 19, 2007

Might a prospective transfer participate in this, or is it exclusively for freshman applicants?

And a Happy Talk Like a Pirate Day to all ye who sail the Infinite! Arrrr!!

Posted by: 'Mangy' Matt, PSU '11 on September 19, 2007

Wait– can freshmen host pre-frosh too? I want to host someone adventurous enough to want to give Senior Haus a try! (And live in a shoebox single for a night) grin

Posted by: milena '11 on September 19, 2007

Lol if it's possible, would the pre-frosh party with you and you party buddies ? Because then I'm ready to fly from Cotonou to Boston !

Posted by: Isshak on September 20, 2007

I had already spent 42 nights at MIT. Hope I will have more!

I like the Athena Cluster in the student center best. Good for stay overnight. Haha... Rickoids' pleasure.

Posted by: Joy Xu Yichao on September 20, 2007

I want to be assigned with Kwadwo Nyarko

Posted by: Julian on October 14, 2007