Kim D. '09

Apr 20, 2009

Patriots’ Day

Posted in: Best of the Blogs, Life & Culture

So, my last few weeks have been no fun. To put it lightly.

My main activities for the past two weeks have been working during the day, working at night, and squeezing in doctor’s appointments wherever they fit. Helpful tip: don’t get sick while at MIT.

So when my friend Roxana '09 suggested biking to see the Battle of Lexington, I was THRILLED!

misty morning

We woke at 3:30 on Patriot's Day Morning and rode off into a quiet, misty land. Massachusetts Avenue, so often clogged with cars, was transformed. It belonged to just we cyclists, and we soared over the pavement, thrilled to use muscles which had begun to rust in place...

We arrived at Lexington just before 6 am, and a huge crowd had already gathered. There were three tiers of people: those standing in front, those perching on ladders/ladder constructions, and those in the trees.

the crowd gathers

Niki '09 and I grabbed a bench. She stood on the bench and I stood on the bench's back, using her shoulder to steady myself. We traded off for the better vantage point a couple of times.

The Redcoats and the Patriots met and exchanged harsh words. Both sides postured a bit. A shot was fired, and battle broke out.

the battle begins

When it was all over, women and children tended the fallen.

tending the fallen

The British marched off, to loud boos from the present-day audience.

And then we fraternized with the enemy.

british soldier

This guy turned out to be an MIT alum. He also told us about the first time he was part of the reenactment, in 2001. He had never watched the reenactment before being in it, and didn't know the guys planing patriots. So, he was really unsure how the battle would unfold, if he could trust them not to really stab him, etc. He also told us an amusing story about how he was scared out of course 12 and into course 22.

We grabbed some hot sustenance from a Dunkin' Donuts and biked back to Boston as the sun rose.

And we all lived happily ever after (at least, until the next set of deadlines arrives).

first! f yeah!

Posted by: Ann on April 21, 2009

I just love this post. I like happy endings smile)

Posted by: 0 on April 21, 2009

He was scared out of 12 into 22? I'd probably go the other way around raspberry

Posted by: Piper '12 on April 21, 2009

Kim likes caffeine and ART.
not much first one, she Actually loves the fiRsT one

i'm working on my fifth clay slate. these hairs are growing, should re-put my hands into layering scissors later.

Posted by: comboy on April 21, 2009

@Piper Yeah, so he went to a class, I think it was 12.001, on the first day his freshman year, and they spent the whole first lecture on a lot of complicated eqns. He was scared away. 3 years later, with more math under his belt, he went back and tried the class again. First day was same as before. Second day, 2/3 of the people had been scared away, the prof says, "well, you can forget most of yesterday, it was to scare away the people who wanted an easy ride." And the class proceeds to be manageable. smile

Posted by: kimd on April 21, 2009

I did it.

it is sometimes fvn to cut fingers deeper than hair.

clay slate on my desk near my laptop. this is my ovvn Cake

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cviolet/sets/72157617081399078/

Posted by: comboy on April 21, 2009

Seems it was a real cool days.

Posted by: Someone on April 21, 2009

EPIC blue photo

Posted by: 0 on April 21, 2009

Hmmm.....I think that you should explain what Patriots Day is, being how it is only a celebrated holiday in Massachusetts and Maine.

Posted by: Sammy on April 21, 2009

Whoa, when I heard you talking about going to this in the basement of Random, after pants pants revolution, I didn't realize that you were a blogger and a celebrity! I'll never wash my hands again!

Posted by: Nathan '13 on April 21, 2009

What, you didn't know that Kim is a blogger from Random along with Yan? XD

Posted by: Narce on April 22, 2009