Quick updates by Matt McGann '00

Just a few notes -- that's all we have time for right now!

EA Admits: Hopefully, you got Dave‘s email about the admitted student event this Thursday at 8pm EST / 5pm PST. I hope you’ll be there! If you didn’t get the email or lost it, let me know in the comments (leave your email address) and I’ll get the information to you. It should be fun and useful, and I know Paul ’12 and Hamsika ’13 are excited for it.

RA applicants: I know you’re all anxious for Regular Action decisions, but I’m sorry to say that I don’t have any announcements about a decision date yet. As always, I promise to let you know as soon as I can — hopefully soon! In the mean time, the Admissions committee continues to work towards Regular Action decisions.

All applicants/admits: If you haven’t yet, you should submit your financial aid application as soon as possible.

Math ninjas: [via AoPS/rrusczyk] You’d probably enjoy Street-Fighting Mathematics on OpenCourseWare.

iPhone owners: MIT released its iPhone app. It’s most useful for current students, but has some goodies for everyone.
learn more | download

Sports fans: The MIT Men’s Varsity Basketball team once again made the NCAA (Division III) tournament! You can follow all of the news on the official and unofficial pages.

Debate fans: The MIT Debate Team of Adam Goldstein ’10 and Bill Magnuson ’09 won the North American Debating Championships — “regarded as the most prestigious debate tournament in North America” — by defeating McGill University in the finals. MIT also won the Championship in 2003; MIT, Yale, and Toronto are the only three schools to have won multiple titles in the past decade.

J-pop fans: I’ve been reading MIT applications long enough to know that some of you will be super-excited to learn that Hikaru Utada was hanging around MIT, getting ice cream with Prof. Ian Condry. (If you are among those who are excited, you wil probably enjoy Prof. Condry’s course Japanese Popular Culture, being taught on Tuesdays and Thursdays this term)

51 responses to “Quick updates”

1. fox says:

looking at the past few years, i bet it’s march 13th!

2. Fug Li says:

“RA applicants: I know you’re all anxious for Regular Action decisions, but I’m sorry to say that I don’t have any announcements about a decision date yet. As always, I promise to let you know as soon as I can — hopefully soon! In the mean time, the Admissions committee continues to work towards Regular Action decisions.”

NOOOO!!! The anxiety is killing me!!! Oh well, I like that MIT is taking a lot of time going over applications. I just hope I’ll find out soon enough :.

3. clay says:

hey, i wont be home at the time of the EA event. will i be able to watch it some other time, or is it a one time thing?

4. Dan L. says:

@ Amethyst (’14?): AHHHH i do the same thing, when i’m at a computer it’s automatic that i just check the MIT admissions website…

and did you really write/avant-garde…

we’re gonna be bestfriends! lol.

5. EA Admit '14 says:

Hey, Matt– This is sort of unrelated to your post here, but I have a question for you smile Do you know if there are extra tubes in the Admissions Office? I want to pick it up for myself when I visit MIT during the CPW. (The Admissions Office said that I didn’t get one because I live abroad). If you have one, please save it for me!

6. EA Admit '14 says:

7. EA Admit '1 says:

Oops! Sorry for the double post.

8. Matt K. says:

I’ve been hoping that they would come out on the 15th since that’s mid March but I guess this means it probably won’t be until later in the month. Darn, another week to wait…

hey, i’m all for not having decisions come out on the ides of march, e tu brute?

10. Kaixi says:

I’ve been hoping for pi day… but that’s probably unlikely now

11. AAARGH MORE WAITING TIME…I check the MIT admissions website so frequently, whenever I am around a computer at school, that the search bars on half the computers in the library, career center, and computer lab pop up “mitadmissions.org” whenever you type in a letter “m”…You know, I just realized awhile back that those of us who started applying EA back in September/October will have waited a full half year to find out the final result smile A full half year of our lives! But worth every minute,no matter the outcome. Whoohoo, though–backup school. I got admitted to Vanderbilt, heehee…(no pressure, MIT? Just kidding…)

Incidentally, very cool and unusual ReCaptcha this time: kasparov 2:40 Sounds like some sort of avant-garde mystery novel title.

12. Awh man, I really hope we get something in the next 2 weeks :X I think most likely March 20th, but that isn’t really ‘mid-march’ is it?

13. Fug Li says:

They said mid to late March so I was guessing March 13 or March 20. MIT usually says when they’re releasing their decisions about a week before they do if I remember correctly so I guess we all just need to keep our fingers crossed.

14. D('14?) says:

I hate how tyiping ‘(’14?)’ involves holding down the shift key for many of the characters. Can’t wait for decisions to come out. Hopefully, after they do, I’ll be happily typing D ’14. Good luck to everyone!

Recaptcha: toe imparted. Whatever that means. lol.

15. Howie Jordan says:

Wait, THE Hikaru Utada? (As if there are any others I know of)
    As if there weren’t enough reasons, now there is yet ANOTHER incentive to attending MIT: potential encounters with J-pop stars!

16. Yeah, fug, thats probably going to be the case then, whatever man too much anxiety running through me :D

LOL CAPTCHA=ingrown guerrillas

17. NolanMB says:

MIT has a debate squad?! That’s awesome! I’m pretty enthusiastic about policy debate, so it’s good to hear that MIT has an active (and prolific) place in the debate community. Perhaps I’ll debate for MIT on the off chance that I get in smile.

18. manis404 says:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

19. cristen says:

WHAT. HIKKI GOT ICE CREAM WITH CONDRY-SENSEI AND I MISSED THIS?!?! D:

She was in town a few weeks ago though on her US/UK tour. :D

20. Oh my goodness Street-Fighting Mathematics is awesome. The dimensional analysis chapter is fantastic.

21. Divyansh says:

Waiting for the result has already driven me crazy.
    I hope they are released soon

22. Is it true that decisions are released on Pi Day?

23. @George (’14?)
    there is no evidence that it will be released at Pi day this year. They released decisions at Pi day last year but number of applicants increased this year so its not very likely.

24. I have been replaying the moment I find out over and over again in my head for the past couple of months. Yet almost every time its a different scenario, I think all this waiting for that one awesome or potentially devastating day is driving me crazy! It feels like an extended Christmas Eve anxiety visualizing what you might get, but there are two possibilities; getting exactly what you want or getting a lump of coal.

25. Brad says:

Hey Matt. I thought that RA admissions would have been posted on pi day. Is that a possible event? Or would it be later do you think?

26. Harika says:

How long do you think that the financial aid will take to get uploaded to your MIT account, because mine still isn’t there?

27. Ira says:

@ harika – yeah i was wondering that too. My CSS profile was sent on feb 16 and its not there as yet. I guess we just have to wait!!!(correct me if I am wrong)

28. Liz '14 says:

super excited for Thursday as well. smile hopefully I’ll be able to sneak in a question or two.

29. Katie '14 says:

I didn’t get an email! Alas! (I’m deferred from Class of ’13) Could you add my email address ([email protected]) to your list? Thanks (:

30. L '14? says:

I sooooo hope the decisions will be out by the end of next week… Though seemingly reCaptcha doesn’t think so: “postpone The”

31. navin says:

MIT
    get our RA decisions soon
    we’re soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo waiting for ’em :( smile

32. Fin Aid'14 says:

If we don’t need any aid, do we still have to submit the aid application?

33. Hamsika '13 says:

i’m superrr excited for thursday smile

lol @ recaptcha: nauseate decisions

34. Samir says:

This makes me all the more nervous :(

35. Po' Boy says:

The financial aid website says ,”If you wish to apply for scholarship, loan and job assistance from MIT, we must receive the following documents no later than February 15, 2010.” Is it alright even though I’m just starting it now?

36. Florida '14 says:

I hope it isn’t the 20th, that’s my 18th birthday and having these decisions come out would make it a very anxious day.

37. I really want the results to be announced as soon as possible, but I think the Admissions Officers have to take the time they need to make the best decision. Much of MIT excellence comes from its students. So the admission process is extremely important for MIT to maintain its excellence

Although I am anxious, I know that the wait is for a good cause!

=)

38. Neptune says:

Coincidentally Pi Day is also Einstein’s B’day…Makes me wish I was born 2 days later

39. Snad ('14?) says:

still hoping for Pi Day! or one day soon over the next few weeks smile been waiting almost 6 months now! i can’t believe it

It isn’t on the blog, but decision.mit.edu says that decisions will come out on Sunday March 14th at 1:59 PM EST…
    Hopefully they don’t change it.

41. Dan L. says:

@ Anonymous: I just saw that. I hope they don’t change it either.

I even confirmed my ability to view the decision online….

AHHHHHHH i’m so excited !

@ Po’ Boy

i think it’s fine that you just started.. just make sure that you do it as soon as possible.. if you still have any worries just contact the Student Financial Aid office through mail or phone (0016172534971).. they’re very helpful..

43. Yay! Hope the Pi is SWEET! smile

44. L' 14? says:

OH MY GOD! Really it is on Pi Day! I see the light in the end of this tunnel. Hope it’s not a dead end.

“the teatime”

45. Lydia AK says:

Thank you for scheduling decisions to be released on pi day!!! :D

I’ll be out of the country, but hopefully I’ll still have Internet. I’m so hyped!

46. Matto says:

WOOT TORONTO CANADA REPRESENT

Also, I am thrilled that MIT has such an amazing debating team! Congratulations!

47. Class '14? says:

Wow! Hikaru Utada went to visit MIT? That’s amazing~ (I love JPop)

48. Utada was there?!?!?:O Now that gives me another reason to apply to MIT next year (well, technically the end of this year)=)
    And good luck to all current applicants! Decisions are coming soon! If MIT happens to release them on pi day, then it’s approximately 10 days til then. Good luck to all!

49. Kim '12 says:

Amazed that Utada Hikaru visited MIT?

Considering she attended Columbia University, I can only imagine how many NY students were hunting around for her.

50. Ira says:

@ Harika- Actually its not ok if its been more than two weeks since you submitted your fin aid things. I called the fin aid office @ 0016172534971 ( thanks to someone who posted the number over here =]) and they said they would have to look into it. They are really helpful so I think you should definitely contact them if you haven’t already.

51. I am soooooooo ready for decisions (3 days….), I am a bit nervous though……