Reading by Matt McGann '00

Some final notes before decisions are posted.

Required reading (from folks who are better writers than me):

Ben Jones: It’s More Than A Job

Marilee Jones: Sending You My Best

Also: Bryan Nance A Post For Parents and It’s All About the Process, Bryan Don’t Worry, Be Happy, Sam Antici, Mitra Admissions Decisions, Anthony Poaching Imagination, Laura The Moment of Truth

And a few numbers: we received a record number of applications this year, up 9% from last year. At the same time, due to an increased yield (the percentage of admitted students who decide to enroll) and a steady class size, we have admitted even fewer students this year. Our admission rate this year is slightly less than 13%.

For those of you who will be checking your decisions online shortly, know that my best wishes are with you today.

13 responses to “Reading”

aarrrgh! 43 mins remaining…flip that PHP switch already!

2. Only 10 minutes left, thank you Matt.

Decisions are online!!

4. Shikhar says:

rejected…this was coming..my SAT’s must have pissed the adcomms off…they showed great marks of insincerity in contrast to the rest of my application…but then lets see what other colleges have to say abt me..best of luck to others

5. sam says:

I got rejected. But it’s all good.

I just want to tell everyone who got rejected that not “everyone who goes to MIT ends up being successful”, and a lot of people who go to ordinary state colleges are a LOT more successful. Right now, I know someone who got into MIT, he was number 6 in calculus in the world, but he dropped out first semester and now he lives at home and is an alcoholic, yeah,he’s been living at home for 5 years that’s an extreme case, but what’s the point ? Better be not #6 in calc and be successful later on, OH WELLLL!!! Life goes on…..!!!!!!!

I wish I would’ve gotten in though, lol~~ Hehe! Life goes on, the FUTURE IS AHEAD OF US!!!!

Shikhar: How can you know that they just shrugged off your application? I too was rejected, but I had for a long time come to terms with the fact that I may not get in. Today, I’m not blaming MIT, I’m blaming myself if I’m even blaming anyone. I’m a good student, and I’m sure you are too, but I know that I’m not the best. MIT cannot accept everyone that applies, or even an amount close to that.

You’re welcome to blame it on whoever you want, but just know that name-calling doesn’t get you anywhere, if anything, it helps MIT re-affirm their decision. I’m not trying to be harsh, but you shouldn’t go out with disgrace.

9. Mugisha says:

Its official I am in MIT! This is the best day of my life!

rejected. However humanized this process has become. However amazing we all thought Ben Jones was, however different we thought MIT was in terms of test scores……..it still really hurts and deepens within the pit of my stomach.