MIT student blogger Anthony R. '09

Selection? by Anthony R. '09

They're selecting the earlies...

I can’t believe it. It’s been a whole year. An entire year.

They’re selecting Early Action applicants. Yes, on a Saturday. These folks are amazing. I hung around the Infinite today and caught Ben and Matt as they were leaving for the day :-)

They both looked kind of tired, but as you can tell Matt’s got his characteristic tie for selection period! I figured I’d better get out of there once I had my picture so they could go home and think about anything but applications. :-)

My application period for MIT was probably the most anxious period of my life. Everyone’s probably telling you not to worry, to think about other things, to just trust that it will all work out — yeah, right! I know you’re going to be thinking about nothing but MIT for a while. Hang in there and feel free to weigh in with comments.

I’ll have a couple more entries (gosh, I’m overdue) in the next few days with some photos and such. Try to get some rest, everyone :) [or just me]

28 responses to “Selection?”

Everyone says that, “don’t worry you’ll end up at the right place.” It just makes me feel worse. I hope I just get in so I ca nfinally stop overthinking about college.

2. Dave says:

Ya, everyone who knows me say’s “Don’t worry, of course you’ll get in.” They don’t understand. You’ve gone through it, it suuuuucks. Did you get accepted Early Action or were you deferred? Being Deferred would suck, because then it’s just more waiting.

3. Timur Sahin says:

Hehe, Anthony man. raspberry. It’s so tough. But you already know about my situation. wink

And wow, Ben is growing out his beard (that or he’s so busy he can’t shave). Heheh, didn’t he used to have a beard? Or maybe I’m just remembering incorrectly from the old blogs.

Either way, yarrrrr… only time will tell.

Now get back to your paper!

4. Timur says:

Come to think of it, that may just be the shadows on Ben’s face. raspberry.

Either way. Yarrrr.

5. Timur Sahin says:

Well then, I guess this post existing would make sense. raspberry.

Good luck resting =P

7. Phil says:

Nice to hear some down-to-earth, honest comment about waiting for EA decisions. :]

But of course, we’re hanging in there!

8. Merudh says:

hey

hmm maybe I’ll meet you next year. I hope. I’ve read your blog and a lot of your pre-MIT mindset relates to me. Thanks for the advice and nice pictures

9. Anthony says:

I actually finished my paper grin

10. Last year, Ben stopped shaving at the start of selection, and then shaved when all decisions were done, so it’s quite possible that *IS* a new beard-ish accessory he’s sporting now. He posted photos at the top of his blog as an indicator, and even shaved “MIT” into it the night he shaved it off (and I did save the photographic evidence if anyone wants to see it… grin. I’m guessing this is his equivalent of Matt’s ties now.

Sending good thoughts to you all as you wait…

11. Joe says:

I just can’t stop thinking about MIT….sometimes I find myself daydreaming about getting accepted….It’s really freaky.

12. zoogies says:

PHOTO EVIDENCE! PHOTO EVIDENCE!

13. Timur Sahin says:

It’s hilarious! It actually doesn’t look too bad on you, Ben. raspberry.

My beard now has something to aspire to. If I get accepted EA, I know what I’m doing. smile

14. Justine says:

I shaved…

…my legs!

[feels sad and left out of facial hair conversations] :(

15. Drew says:

Well as of right now I’m out of shaving cream, so I guess now would be the time to grow it out and shave in the MIT if I get the acceptance. Sounds like a good idea to bring the class of 2010 together before they’ve even met, as if the survival of the application process isn’t enough to bring everyone together to begin with.

16. nehalita says:

exactly! worry? how can we not worry?
    i log in all the time hoping it’d somehow ease the anxiety…but it really doesn’t because logging in doesn’t speed things up. but i get to read things like these…=)

I keep logging in, as if to see some shred of hope…

Curse it. Still no shred.

Excuse me as I continue to worry about my application status.

18. Now I want to see a whole GALLERY of “MIT”s shaved into beards and legs and even heads, after EA and RD decisions come out! grin

19. Lisa Dahl says:

Only at MIT will a blog entry about early applications segue into shaving words onto hairy body parts – and that’s why I love this place raspberry

20. Catherine says:

Hahaha. That’s absolutely hilarious. On a more serious note, yup: nerve-wracking.

21. Timur Sahin says:

Well Justine, I’m middle-eastern. I can go to sleep clean shaven and wake up sporting a full beard (okay, not really).

But I tell you this: if we both get accepted EA, I’ll shave MIT into my beard, you can shave it into your legs, and we’ll take pictures posing together at CPW!

raspberry

22. Nalin K says:

You’re so right, I can’t think about anything except the decision. Luckily, I have schoolwork distracting me from that!

The anxiety is fresh, but life goes on.

23. Zach says:

I think everyone, particularly the Early Action folks, can agree that this process is among the most horrifying of our lives. This is the third time today I have logged into the MIT site and the second time I’ve read this blog; I just hope our letters come soon so we can stop worrying, unless, of course, we are deferred, which would be… nope, I can’t put the feeling into words.

24. Elliot says:

one of my best friends there got deferred… he says it’s probably the best decision he could have gotten, since if he’d been accepted early he would have stopped working lol. meh, i figure that’ll be me if it happens (*prays to multiple random deities*)… but if not, meh.

25. Isaiah says:

i know i can make to MIT with all the excellent broadcasting and DJing skills.
    Ability to sing and act, a leader in a students organisation and grat talented soccer star.actually an international student but my only problem is the SAT scores.i wrote the first one but couldnt make it.what i do.plssssss help for i bet u gonna enkoy my presence @ MIT if i dare make it

26. Isaiah says:

Ability to sing and act, a leader in a students organisation and grat talented soccer star.actually an international student but my only problem is the SAT scores.i wrote the first one but couldnt make it.what i do.plssssss help for i bet u gonna enjoy my presence @ MIT if i dare make it