Mar 11, 2006

Selection = Finished

Posted in: Process & Statistics

Wow. Just got home - so many emotions. Feeling quite tired, but very proud of the class we've admitted. The predominant feeling, however, is sadness - because we were not able to offer a spot to SO MANY wonderful people. This seems to be the case every year. You'd think I'd get used to it, but I never do.

We'll spend the next week preparing all of the letters and packages to be mailed. I'll keep you posted. Decisions will definitely be available online on the 18th, and if all goes well we'll mail on the 17th (but until I confirm that, it's not set in stone - after the EA mailing I want to be 100% certain before I say "in the mail!").

I promise to write a more thorough entry soon, after some sleep.

Hang in there - only one more week until decisions are released.

-B

crazy. =x

Posted by: Nate on March 11, 2006

congratulations on a finishing a hard journey.

Take your well-deserved break!

-Dan Jang

Posted by: 0 on March 11, 2006

I appreciate your effort to get the decisions out so soon.

MIT admissions officers could easily make it their policy to release decisions on, say, April 1, but instead they work hard to get them done by mid March. I really thank you guys for that smile

Posted by: Sam on March 11, 2006

GO MIT!

Posted by: Merudh on March 11, 2006

Your hardwork and feelings are much appreciated. smile

Thank you!

Posted by: fugue on March 11, 2006

Wow, you are all wonderfully devoted, and I really admire that. I would like to commend you for your passion and thank you for your hard work. Now, take some well-deserved rest smile.

Yasmin

Posted by: Yasmin on March 11, 2006

Ben,

I really appreciate the devotion you and the rest of the admission staff have. Besides MIT, I'm waiting for decisions from a few other schools. MIT is sending info out mid-March. The rest are saying end of March/Early April. With May 1 coming up faster than it seems, the few extra weeks are a blessing. Thank you so much.

Posted by: Ben S. on March 11, 2006

I know everyone's already said this, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU for giving us the incredible relief in knowing our decisions mid-March. Whatever the outcome, this is a much needed stress relief.

Posted by: 0 on March 11, 2006

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all that you've dont to make the whole admissions process easier on us. Honestly, no other school has been there to make the process as painless as you guys have. ..//.-../---/...-/.//--/../-!!!!!

Posted by: chris on March 11, 2006

hey Ben,

First of all, major props for finishing the selection process. It's good to hear that all is done.

It's an exciting period once again. Your passion for your job is truly inspiring and heart-warming. :] I appreciate how you let us personally let know of things all the time, allowing us to not glance at a silent wall called "The Admissions Committee," but, well, some character called "Ben." raspberry

Thanks again, and get some good rest (and healthy food)!

ps. thanks for the reply!

Posted by: Phil on March 11, 2006

woo-hoo! OMG I am soooo nervous for decisions to be released! Even though I was already admitted Early Action, I have 20+ good friends anxiously awaiting March 18th. Man, I think I am even more nervous now than I was back in December~

Anyways, I was wondering if you can answer some questions?? 1) how many kids were admitted

2) how many kids from the deferred pool made it?

thanks~

Posted by: class of '10!! on March 11, 2006

Great news!

Go MIT

Posted by: Arka on March 11, 2006

Ah, so it's almost completely done. Now for the home stretch! I want to join everyone in thanking all of you. I also wish everyone the best of luck.

Can't wait for the admission stats, though not nearly as much as I can't wait for the decision. Heh.

Posted by: Teck Lee on March 11, 2006

Hey

Thanks ALOT Ben and everyone else for all your dedication and hard work!!! Now you can finally relax a little.

As for me I will tell myself I have no control, and therefore shouldn't worry, but as every other applicant knows that will never work hehe grin

Posted by: Molly on March 11, 2006

AMAZING. I'm out in Oregon, and although I promised myself I would wait until the mail comes .. I think I just want to know smile

Ben, Thank you so much for all the long hours you and the team put into admissions decisions this year, last year, and every year to come. smile

Good luck to all, and follow MIT's advice and do what you do for fun until Saturday!

Olga

Posted by: Olga on March 12, 2006

The openness with which you shared information with us throughout this process has been outstanding. It has been a unique experience and it is something I deeply appreciate regardless of my individual decision outcome.

Posted by: renuka on March 12, 2006

awesome!

now we wait... it seems so semi-surreal... oh well MIT or no MIT ... lifes still worth a livin'

can't wait ... won't check online

Posted by: Salik on March 12, 2006

Sir, what can I say...your dedication and consideration for each and every candidate, regardless of their admittance rejcetion is just touching. You might not realise, but words of encouragement, whether its just about notifying, really make a difference to all of us. Hats of to you for taking up such a monumental task. Regardless of whether i get in or not, I will always cherish my memory and thank myself of applying to MIT and getting to chat with such dedicated and nice people!

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2006

So, admissions in a week..judging from what I've read you put in so far this year, you had better get ready to start consoling those of us who don't make it..

Posted by: SpeckJr on March 12, 2006

Thank you Ben and all you guys for your effort and hard work! Now all we can do is wait for online decisions or the snail mail. I am so nervous right now.

Good luck to everybody

Posted by: Juan Jhong Chung on March 12, 2006

Thanks to all the admission staff for the wonderful work they've done. You guys have really made this application process a great experience. I think its safe to say that if I don't get in, I'll still be happy that I applied. Your blogs have really helped me get through this with minimum stress and they have allowed me to read the comments of several truly great minds who, like me, are trying to get admitted to the place of their dreams. Once again, thank you Ben and Nance and everyone else involved in the decision making. Its been great flying with you.

Good luck to all you people out there!

Posted by: Saad Qasim on March 12, 2006

well, this is it! =)

Posted by: Nina Toleva on March 12, 2006

oh man...the decisions have been made....well now its hard to wait for the next week....

Posted by: Shikhar on March 12, 2006

The selection has been done and it has got me very excited. ooh!! Its hard to wait!

Posted by: Richa on March 12, 2006

Oh wow. Well, good luck everyone! ^^;;;

Posted by: Catherine on March 12, 2006

AWSM!!!

all you admissions people are already finished reading all applications......

man thats really quick.

anyways!!! as I ve sed before may the best men (and women)win...

Posted by: Praful on March 12, 2006

THANX BEN !!!!!

Posted by: usha on March 12, 2006

Thanks a lot Ben for keeping us updated about admissions...one of the things that struck me about MIT was how efficient their tracking system is, how humane their admissions process seems and how nice their admission officers are;)

One week of agony...is their any use praying now?:D

Posted by: Mushal on March 12, 2006

Ben, you are incredible. Thanks for all of your hard work. It's great not having to wait until April to find out our decisions. You guys are amazing (truly)! smile

Posted by: Isabel on March 12, 2006

To Ben/Matt/ rest of admissions team,

Thank you for your hard work in reviewing our applications. Its more than just a job, the time u put into debating which candidate is better than another and truelly looking at their strengths instead of simply tossing people out, thats commitment to excellence.

-JM

Posted by: JM on March 12, 2006

God bless you all THANKYYYOOOUUU

You know MIT is the only university which I've applied to. I'm that stressful that there is no way to explain it. My future depends on it. OK No problem, I've done everything I could. Let's see what God wants for me....

Posted by: Mohsen on March 12, 2006

When I started thinking about MIT, everyone told me how awesome MIT students and professors are, so I told them "And that's exactly why I am applying there." After this adventure called "Admission", I can honestly say that it is not just for the students and the professors that MIT is such an amazing place to go to. The way everyone involved in the admission process helped us through this time is just overwhelming. Now I can say with confidence that the next time someone tells me "Oh, MIT, that's where all the excellent students and professors are..." I will remark "Yes, and that's the place where the best Admissions Committee works."

You guys are just awesome!

Posted by: Rafael on March 12, 2006

thumbs up to all the admission officers!!

I thank you Ben for making this selection process an interactive activity. At every instant, we would see a new entry in your blog. Thats really awesome. Well, I would feel like a million dollars to see myself listed among the admitted applicants...

Also, best of luck to all the regular-action applicants..

Posted by: Danish on March 12, 2006

Congratulations guys for a job well done.

The fact that you all inform us of whats happening and when really removes the suspense from most parts of the admissions process, and I thank you for that...

However, the suspense is killing me right now - I await your decision.

Good luck to all the RA candidates!

Enjoy your weekend guys.

Mahul

Posted by: Mahul Patel on March 12, 2006

woohoo!! now how many other lebanese have applied? just to know my chances raspberry

Posted by: me on March 12, 2006

Oh .. My .. God.....

Well all we can do is pray now. Ben, Matt, Nance, and all the other admissions officers...I really, truly cannot say this enough...I've applied to 10 universities and NONE have even come CLOSE to what my dream school, MIT, had to offer me throughout this process. Crises occurred during mailing and were solved...You adults were apologetic instead of saying "so what deal with it"...Dean Jones and her soothing words....It's all coming back to me as I realize I'm 6 Days, 2 Hours and 34 Minutes from the decision of my life...The wait is eating me from the inside but what can I do...all I can do now is pray....

Now really Ben, please get that well-deserved rest and some healthy food for a change! Send my best regards to all the admissions committee...If i get accepted I'm coming to the office and giving you all a hug personally wink Even if don't and i do end up in Boston, I'll still come over =D...Thank you Ben and all others for your amazing service....MIT has the best tracking service, the best hospitality and by far the best admissions website and blogs I've ever seen...You guys ROCK!!!!

Thank you for everything...MIT is truly an amazing place...I will never regret applying although I surely will be depressed if i don't get in....But it is what God wills that will happen....in 6 Days, 2 Hours and 31 Minutes...

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!! Come on people we can do it we're almost there!!!!

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

Posted by: Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar on March 12, 2006

Thanks, thanks so much.

No matter what the result is. this aaplication is one of the most wonderful things I have ever done. Thanks again.

Posted by: C Minh on March 12, 2006

You'll never know what all the time and effort you and the rest of the admissions committee have put into the blogs, answering all our questions, ....basically everything has meant to me and I am sure to other applicants, especially international applicants.

Thank You so much.

now that it is all done, I pray I/ we will get a chance to meet all you guys.

MIT ROCKS!!!

Patricia Lorraine Mutyaba

Posted by: Patricia lorraine Mutyaba on March 12, 2006

I don't anticipate being admitted, but I want to thank you for having the policy of thoroughly reviewing ALL applications.

Posted by: Benjamin on March 12, 2006

all your comments have made this post even more worthwhile.. all of us are amazing in our own regard..and just knowing that I was competing with people like you - makes me feel honored =) Thanks to absolutely everyone who was part of this intense admissions process.

Posted by: Anna on March 12, 2006

I can't imagine stuffing that many envelopes. Maybe I should have put in an essay "if accepted, I would create a robot that stuffs admissions envelopes" :p Thanks guys for all your hard work.

Posted by: Aaron on March 12, 2006

Since you're already done with selection, why not flip that PHP script switch and let us see the results online on Pi day? =)

Seriously, though, thank you for your postings on this site... If it weren't for these blogs, I'm positive that I would be MUCH more stressed over the whole admissions process. You've allowed a great number of us to find comfort during one of the most important decisions of our respective lifetimes.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm glad that this Institute knows what it's doing when it comes to admitting students. =)

Posted by: Tomathy on March 12, 2006

wow, ben, we really appreciate all you do. you're the man!! thanks for keeping us posted during this whole stressful and exciting time.

*just a quick question*: do you think that since i live in massachusetts, my decision will reach me via snail mail the same day that it is sent?

thanks again, so much. smile

Posted by: 0 on March 12, 2006

This is great, I can't wait until the 18th. No matter what my decision is, I'm just happy all the waiting is over.

Goood luck to everyone, hopefully we'll all be fellow classmates next year.

Posted by: Sam T on March 12, 2006

Thank you x infinity. raspberry

Posted by: Christina on March 12, 2006

Ben I would just like to express my gratitude for everything you have done for us. I hope you know how much comfort you, Matt, Nance and all the rest of the admission staff have given us over the past few months. It is because of you that when someone says MIT I think of nice and friendly people who are always trying to do the best they can and who try help others.

I just want to make it clear that I for one am truly grateful to you for going through the selection process. It must really be difficult and I completely understand that you mean no harm or ill intentions against anyone you rejected. I would like to take this opportunity to say a statement loud and clear: Thank you so much. You have truly helped me not only in diminishing my anxiety over admission but also for showing me a side of MIT that I had not previously known, I knew of all the innovation and dedication at MIT but I learned from you how kind and warm people at MIT are.

Even if I did not get accepted into MIT these few months will remain with me forever and I hope that I will learn from these anxious yet happy days.

Posted by: Fadl on March 12, 2006

YAY!!!!!!!

Posted by: Kelley on March 12, 2006

Awesome to all the Admissions Committee! You've been wonderful all the way through, and as an EA admit, I'm so excited to meet you at CPW! I'm truly honored by all the hard and sincere work you've done for all applicants.

Thank you so much for everything and hugs to all!

Posted by: Shen on March 12, 2006

Ben,

Can you tell how many people were accepted from the defered pool? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Sam T on March 12, 2006

Yeah, Fadl, I also think that I'm going to remember this period of my life forever, regardless of the decision.

Posted by: Nabil on March 12, 2006

Ben,

Thank you for all the wonderful support throughout the whole admissions process. It has really meant a lot to me to feel involved and up to date with everything that this involves. Of all the universities I applied to, the MIT admissions team has really helped make applying to a unversity feel easy and not stressful.

Thank you very much for everything!!!

Good luck to all applicants!

Posted by: Emilia on March 12, 2006

Thank you for having been here all along...Good luck everyone!! *cross fingers and toes* smile

Posted by: R on March 12, 2006

I believe I can accurately some up my feelings accordingly:

EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Posted by: Timur Sahin on March 12, 2006

i'm just too scared to think logically...

Posted by: scared girl on March 12, 2006

MIT remains No 1 in ma books. As I count down the days, I prepare myself for a rejection. If I get accepted, I would be ecstatic. But if I get rejected, I wont be too too heart broken.

All the best to all you fellow applicants.

Good job Admission Officers. Now that you are almost done with admissions, what will you be doing for the rest of the year?

Posted by: Dapo on March 12, 2006

Hey Dapo...same strategy here smile prepare for the worst but hope for the best wink

5 Days, 19 Hours

Good luck to all!!!

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

MIT foreva!

Posted by: Timur Starobinets on March 12, 2006

Ben, I know you'll possibly delete the three previous posts, but anyway, I'd like to answer to this little troll: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare.swf

'Cause it's just so funny.

Posted by: S on March 12, 2006

Hee, thanks S

Posted by: Ben on March 12, 2006

haha Sebastien funny link. :] jus increased my self-esteem lol.

im not sure whether im more excited for my birthday or the decision! raspberry

Posted by: Phil on March 12, 2006

Ben, does Marilee review literally every single applicant? Or only the ones the committee has decided to accept?

Posted by: Sam on March 12, 2006

funny link. totally ignored it at first, until I read Phil's post about it increasing his self-esteem. Having been there, I can testify that it did just the same to me.

Posted by: Dapo on March 12, 2006

Originally posted by Timur Sahin

"I believe I can accurately some up my feelings accordingly:

EEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Exactly, man. Exactly.

Posted by: David P on March 12, 2006

can you give me an idea how many people were accepted from canada?

Posted by: mike on March 12, 2006

I just wanted to say thank you!

Posted by: gm on March 12, 2006

Awesome Link!

5 days 14 hrs

Posted by: Alexandre on March 12, 2006

If I'm on that list... i'll be happy smile

MIT adcoms, you guys rock!

Thanks for MyMit, online decisions, informative updates, etc.

We <3 you, regardless of our decision

Posted by: David A. on March 12, 2006

best of luck to everybody!!! and thanks to the whole admission team regardless of the decision....smile

Posted by: Sachit on March 13, 2006

You are completely wonderful.

I'm flipping between premature dejection and... whatever that other state of mind is. It resembles "playing clarinet."

Posted by: Linda on March 13, 2006

Ben

Are all admissions decisions final at this point? Is there anything that could possibly reverse a decision?

Thanks

Posted by: Anonymous on March 13, 2006

Congratulations on surviving the selection process! I can only imagine how tired you guys are after going through so many applications.

Posted by: KT on March 13, 2006

Hey guys, this is it!!!!

MIT rocks!!!!!

Posted by: Edward on March 13, 2006

Yay! Go MIT Admissions Office!

Posted by: Eugeniu on March 13, 2006

a friend once said if ur doing to be happy if u get into MIT ull definately be sad if u dont. i think its true.

Posted by: hasan on March 13, 2006

5 Days, 1 Hour, 10 Mins....It seems like the days are flying...that's what I'm talkin' about!!! And I think it's great that Marilee takes part in finalizing the decisions, just because it makes the admissions process seem even more personal, just when you thought MIT couldn't get any better wink Thank you guys!

Good Luck to all!!

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

Posted by: Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar on March 13, 2006

We most certainly shouldn't have any free time at all until the 18th...It'll make me go crazy at least!:)

yup...Good Luck everyone!...anyone from Pakistan?

Posted by: Mushal on March 13, 2006

I am from Pakistan Mushal. I am from karachi where are you from??

And ya...Offcourse thanx a lot Ben and others and congrats!!!!

Posted by: Syed Taimoor Ghazanfar on March 13, 2006

Hey Dapo I didn't know anyone else used that technique (it doesn't really seem to work for me though, I will probably still be sad if I get rejected!)!! I wish everyone the best of luck and remember only 5 days and 6 minutes left!!! smile

PS: Aziz do you know roughly how many people applied from Kuwait??(Just wondering):)

Posted by: Fadl on March 13, 2006

Thank you sooo much Ben !! and you shouldn't be sad because you had to reject so many capable people. I think i speak on behalf of many applicants when I say that I will not feel "inferior" in any way if I get rejected from MIT ... there will just be a different road for me. MIT is amazing, but so are some other institutes ... It's all about embracing oppertunities. I know it sounds cliched but this is how I truly feel.

Posted by: wak on March 13, 2006

4 days 22 hours 46 min...

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2006

yay!!!!! for MIT .. /._. I wonder how many of us Puerto Ricans will make it RA this time **crossing fingers**

Listening to Tokio Hotel ...

Posted by: Amalchi on March 13, 2006

4 days 21 hrs 33 minutes

Posted by: Alexandre on March 13, 2006

Lahore, I'm from Lahore, Pakistan. And NBTC...are u in NSTC? Nice to see the countdown ppl...I cant keep track of the time that well:)

Posted by: Mushal on March 13, 2006

Hey, Ben my man, any news on the final tally for students? I think I remember hearing that you usually admit around 1200 peeps. Throw some stats at me!

Posted by: Adam on March 13, 2006

Hey Fadl!

Hehe yeah I know even with Dapo's strategy I'm gonna probably be really sad if i get rejected...but hey it'll take me a while to recover but eventually I have to go on with my life..don't get me thinking that way now though...let's hope for the best wink

Hmm..I think roughly 8-10 people applied from Kuwait if i'm not mistaken...not necessarily all of Kuwaiti nationality though...I know of 3 or 4 for sure who are Kuwaiti and from my school who applied...How about Lebanese/UAE nationals?

Good Luck to everyone with 4 Days, 19 Hours and 17 Minutes....Time is passing by so fast...Now I don't even know if I want it to...The decision is really scaring me! ;P

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

4 days, 18 hours, 51 minutes

I'm seriously freaking out over here. I can't handle the suspense!

Posted by: Analiese on March 13, 2006

As many have already said, you guys are all wonderful! Thank you so much for going through all that you have had to in order to make these tough decisions this quickly. You are amazing.

Posted by: Stephanie Marie on March 13, 2006

ohhhhhh man

It's started again...I'm not sure I can take the wait again...

lol...I'm going to have to change me name from April(No longer waiting but deferred)

I am now April(Waiting...again)

I <3 MIT!!!!!!! Thanks for all you guys do!

4 days, 14 hrs and 50 minutes

Posted by: April (Waiting...again) on March 13, 2006

anybody from Ecuador?

Posted by: 0 on March 13, 2006

4 days 14 hrs exactly

Happy pi day eve!

Posted by: Alexandre on March 13, 2006

ok...someone clear me up on this. ppl get accepted to more than one place and go to one...what happens to the seats left vacant? waiting lists? but doesnt MIT not use waiting lists some years? How does this all work out?

Posted by: Mushal on March 14, 2006

and Happy Pi Day!!!:)

Posted by: Mushal on March 14, 2006

Hi everyone happy Pi day smile

4 days 8 hrs 43' left. I am not anxious, but very very very curious smile

Thank you very very very much Ben for everything. I accidentally wrote to you @ Matt's blog, that's a bit better written. Whatever.

Posted by: Csaba on March 14, 2006

Happy Pi Day! (btw I think its Einstein's birthday today)

Good luck to everyone!

Posted by: Ali on March 14, 2006

Mushal,

yea, waiting list. but you can imagine how the overwhelming majority of accepted students will indeed choose MIT and thus the overwhelming majority of students on the waiting list will have no place at MIT :( Unfortunately I don't find any stats about this, but I am definite the "acceptance of acceptance" rate is over 95%.

Posted by: Csaba on March 14, 2006

LoL happy pi day indeed ;P And to think last year at this time decisions were available to many people =/ Anyway, in 4 Days, 9 Hours and 23 Minutes we'll all know smile

Good Luck to all!!!

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

Posted by: Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar on March 14, 2006

My legs have just turned to jelllyyyyy......... OH please Lord let my name be there somewhere, in any corner of the acceptance list.....oh my legs have turned to water. bye bye sleep.

Posted by: shammi on March 14, 2006

4 days 9 hours 56 min

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

mohsen,like you,MITis the only school i have applied to.Icant imagine any logical way of dealing with a rejection.Reason says life should go on whatever happens but emotion is so stubborn.Iam a torn man.

Posted by: kim on March 14, 2006

100th comment! Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Posted by: Sohaib Raihan on March 14, 2006

Happy Pi Day everyone!!!!

Posted by: KT on March 14, 2006

very, very happy pi-day to all of you! =)

Posted by: Nina on March 14, 2006

4 days 5 hrs 40 min

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

MIT's yield rate was 67% last year, very high, but definately not 95%. The school with the highest yield, to the best of my knowledge, is Harvard with ~80%.

Posted by: Brian McDermott on March 14, 2006

I wish good luck to all the applicants. I hope everyone ends up where they will be happiest for the next 4 years. Even if do not get in, I am proud to have survived the application process. Thanks to everyone from the admissions office. It is amazing how people I have neither seen nor heard can make decisions which will influence my whole life. Having been reading this blog for the last few months, I have realised that being an admissions officer is a great responsibility, and I thank everyone for doing their best under such pressure.

Posted by: Virzhiniya Lekova on March 14, 2006

OK, sorry for misestimating the rate so roughly.. I only knew about the very slim chances of waiting-listed applicants... In that case (67% seems pretty low -in fact- for me) they admit a bit more people than class size, perhaps?

Posted by: Csaba on March 14, 2006

I'm not sure about MIT, but don't most universities grant admission to more applicants than places, since some people will not accept the place and the univ therefore needs to balance it out somehow. By the way, how many others from the UK have applied?

Ben, will you be taking photos of the mail drop like you did on last year's RD mailing day? They looked pretty cool! Are all RD decisions for internationals arriving by courier (fedex, ups, dhl), or is that only for the admits?

Happy pi day to all, and good luck.

Nervously waiting for the mail (even before its sent)

Mahul

Posted by: Mahul Patel on March 14, 2006

see...that's what I'm confused about...admitting more students doesn't seem exactly viable to me...whose to say some crazy year, everyone doesn't accept!...but practically, that never happens duh:)...so who's to say that isnt the way they do it. There's a finite number of students, and Admissions know their usual yield rates, so maybe they work out how many to send acceptances...someone help!

Posted by: Mushal on March 14, 2006

and I believe MIT loses students to Caltech and Harvard the most...

Posted by: Mushal on March 14, 2006

Well... I guess if they know that each of the last 5 years the yield rates have been not less than (circa) 60% and not more than 70%, it is fair enough to admit about 25% more (which would equate to a yield rate of 80%). But... isn't +25% a bit too much?!

And.. I haven't seen any of the 3 uni's only thru the www but I think that while all 3 are awesome, MIT is THE AWESOMEST smile.

Posted by: Csaba on March 14, 2006

Yep, MIT loses students to Caltech and Harvard the most...you got that right :/

4 Days, 1 Hour and 21 Minutes :/ almost 3 days left!

Oops...forgot to say GOOD LUCK TO ALL!! ;p

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

Happy Pi Day !!!

Posted by: Andrew on March 14, 2006

I for one am happy that Saturday is coming ever so swiftly smile 4 days and 53 minutes left smile

Posted by: Csaba on March 14, 2006

Hey Aziz!

Thx for answering my question. I think roughly 15 people applied from UAE definitely not all UAE Nationals. I know that there are 2 EC's and I'm not sure if there are any more. My EC's boss actually was an MIT graduate too! Isn't that cool!!! I wish everyone the best of luck and hopefully they're dream will come true!!

PS: My friends have been teasing me for a week about the MIT admission. They keep on counting down until the admission date just so they can see me become tenser! (I had to chase them for an hour to get them to stop but I know they're only kidding) smile

4 Days and 39 minutes left!!

Posted by: Fadl on March 14, 2006

And into the last 4 days!! smile sorry about this pointless post

Posted by: Csaba on March 14, 2006

3 days 23 hours 51 minutes

Posted by: Alexandre on March 14, 2006

I have a query about online decision checking (while i think there is little hope that it can be answered, i'll post it anyway, as an example of the questions currently keeping me up at night...)

Will the actual checking page (presumably activated at 12h00 on the 18th) consist of a single frame (like verify.php) or many frames (like my.mit.edu)?

While it looks like a dumb question it is rather important to me, as the only form of internet access that I'll have at decision time will be my phone's WAP browser (which becomes utterly confused when faced with many frames). Verify.php works perfectly - so I'm hoping that the real one wont be too different...

What a testament to modern communication it could be! Me (at a metal concert in South Africa), holding a 10x5x1.5cm box (my cell phone), receiving my life-altering decision, originally located on a hard-drive 13,100km away!!!!! Amazing!!!

Posted by: Martin - ZA on March 14, 2006

Martin -- try it out now from your phone and see! You can test decisions.mit.edu now, to be sure your username/password works, so you can see what its behavior will be beforehand!

Posted by: leftcoast mom on March 14, 2006

Wow! - that was fast leftcoast mom!

Yeah - it works with the username/password checking page. - But knowing my luck, on the 18th the nice, little, pure html, single framed page will be replaced by a mean, image-filled, aesthetically pleasing, multi-framed monster (or even worse *gasp* FLASH ANIMATION)!! Thereby leaving my overwhelmed phone and I in the dust...

yes i know - i'm paranoid (but recognising I have a problem is the first step to recovery tongue laugh )

It will be identical to what you see now - no frames, text-based (no graphics). We wanted to be sure that people could load it easily no matter what their platform. grin

Posted by: Ben on March 14, 2006

Martin, I can see you're still not accustomed to American spelling. smile It's nice too see some Britishisms once in a while smile

Posted by: dave on March 14, 2006

Thanks Ben - I see you guys really have thought of everything!

Dave: It is the finer details of English (eg. incorporating a 'u' in colour) that keeps it a class above colloquial American grin I mean - really - am i supposed to trust the spelling of a nation who drives on the right (as in not-left) side of the road? Lol

Ben,

When are you gonna post next???

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

Martin- are you in a british school then? have you taken any a-levels?

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

I, Anonymous, second the prior post made by an imposter named Anonymous. When is the next post? Maybe some indication as well about the letter mailing date?

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

Martin,

I'm not American. I'm Romanian, and I, myself, prefer British spelling.

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

And I am not American (but Hungarian from Romania) but I prefer American spelling:) color theater center meter <-- AWESOME!!

T-3d19h57m (I miscalculated a few times here so I don't vouch for it)

Posted by: Csaba on March 14, 2006

I've had bad experiences with "americanisms" in primary school. I kept spelling colour as color. Got a note sent home to my parents complaining that the US version of Word was holding back my English skills!

US President-isms, anyone? I'll start:

JFK: "Ich bin ein Berliner"

Posted by: Anon. on March 14, 2006

Anyone realise that it will soon be 'pi' time before we find out our decisions:

3.14159.....

3 days, 14 hours, 15 minutes, 9 seconds

unfortunately,we will never get 'e' time!

^^ oops, we can get e-time:

e= 2.7182818....

2 days, 7 hours, 18 mins, 28 seconds, 18 milliseconds

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

Martin,

they surely won't replace the page with a flash-site or some sort of fancy layout.

A single html-page will get the admins enough problems concerning their server performance, when 15k students sit before their computers, reloading the page every 3 seconds, just to know their results in the very second they are published. *g*

I am soo interested in the server statistics.

They surely show some sort of worldwide denial-of-service-attack, performed by an evil botnet made of thousands of mind-controlled MIT-enthusiasts.

-JPfrommer

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

Dear God. I need to get away from this comment section. It is nothing but food for the butterflies camping out in my stomach.

Posted by: Christina on March 14, 2006

doh!

The comment-script deleted my [irony] [/irony] tags.

The prolly looked like real html ^-^

Just think about the last sentence as geek humour for all the wannabe M1T 1337 h4x0rs (including me smile )

-JP

Posted by: JP on March 14, 2006

3 days 19 hrs 15 min @[email protected];

Posted by: meghana on March 14, 2006

fingers crossed!

good luck to all of you!

Posted by: Bij-Na on March 14, 2006

Hey guys

Don't forget phi time.

1 day 6 hours 18 minutes 33 seconds

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2006

Hey guys

Don't forget phi time

1 day 6 hours 18 minutes 33 seconds

Posted by: Anonymous on March 14, 2006

Hi Ben

Have you ever read a application that can make you cry?

Posted by: Jenny on March 14, 2006

3 days 17 hours 8 min

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

Congrats for being done and happy Pi Day!

Posted by: Amy on March 14, 2006

Happy Pie day everyone, and good luck to all who applied =)

Posted by: gm on March 14, 2006

Wow... I must really be tired lol Edit -> Happy Pi day everyone!

Posted by: gm on March 14, 2006

Hehe, on Saturday I have a music lesson which ends at... 12!!! My plan of action as of now is: find a way to divert the attention of my teacher. find a computer in his house. barricade myself for as long as it takes to check the website. Find a way to get extra time at the computer to doublecheck if the website is not lying. Next clause based on the decision - either scream "YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!" or "WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????!?!?!?!?!" hehe =)

Posted by: Timur Starobinets on March 14, 2006

I'm going to be at a Science Olympiad Competition, either eating lunch, having down time, or competing. I'll probably bring my laptop and see if I can use any wireless network that may be available.

Patience is a virtue.

Anxiety is a high.

Time is a flow.

Where goes the virtue on a high awaiting the flow to speed-up!

SHABIN

Posted by: SHABIN on March 14, 2006

3 days 13 hours 14 min

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

3 days 13 hours 12 min

Posted by: 0 on March 14, 2006

As much as this may constitute blatant SPAM, there are 3 more days 12 more hours and 4 more minutes left.

Posted by: Csaba on March 15, 2006

I seem to recall in February last year I wrote a countdown for people to look at. I would write another one this year...but it's not *my* place raspberry.

Posted by: Michael Axiak on March 15, 2006

Selection Time:

People get accepted, people get denied and people get waitlisted. It happens in every university. However, MIT is one of the very few who actually make sure that every applicant, regardless of his decision is inspired to continue doing gr8 work even after the application process.

Like myself and others, even if rejection is on the cards, it must be taken as a memory of actually getting the chance to apply. It must draw inspiration for us to continue challenging ourselves and realise that its not the end of the world.

Best of luck to those who will know their acceptances in a few days time. Make most of the opportunity and maintain the excellent academic record of MIT!

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2006

tick tock, tick tock

Dont know why I'm not anxious. Mayb cos I'm nt expectin too much?

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2006

3 days, 3 hours, 49 minutes.

@Michael: no no no, that would ruin all the fun smile

Posted by: Csaba on March 15, 2006

@Anonymous

No I am not at a British school (therefore no A levels). Our school syllabus is just very British (thanks to the wonders of colonialism).

Its really only our written English that sounds British. If you hear us speak you'd swear we were Dutch.

Posted by: Martin - ZA on March 15, 2006

Thanks for the kind words Anonymous..it does make sense to continue with your life and it's nice that you are optimistic...I'm afraid I won't be optimistic for a while if i get rejected, but hey we'll see what happens in...

3 Days, 2 Hours and 17 Minutes!!!!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

P.S. Someone, either Ben or Matt or Nance, please post something new, an update or something I just feel like seeing something new the anxiety is killing me!! smile

Posted by: Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar on March 15, 2006

Hey,

Nice to hear you appreciation towards the comments Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar. Actually, the comments weren't for you, they were for the rejected ones smile. Nonetheless, it does prove my point that even the ones accepted/going to be accepted to MIT have a gem of a heart in their considerations. You're absolutely right in saying that in the short-term optimism would be like a faded colour. It should not continue in the long term :(

Best of luck to all applicants. Each and everyone of you are special and brilliant! So no worries, wherever you all go, you'll excel!

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2006

waiting, knots in my stomach, waiting, fits of anxiety, waiting, acne breakouts, waiting, miraculously increased load of schoolwork...torture isn't it?

Posted by: Mushal on March 15, 2006

It's going to be 10 pm here when the decision comes out...i'll just be glued to my monitor the whole day.

Posted by: Mushal on March 15, 2006

OH MY GOD. I'M AT MY GRANDMOTHER'S MANSION IN OHIO AND I HAVE NO COMPUTER, SO I'M SHIPPING MYSELF TO THE LIBRARY IN MY HOMETOWN, SHELBURN, VT. IF I SHIP MYSELF TODAY, WILL I ARRIVE IN TIME TO CHECK ON SATURDAY???

Posted by: 0 on March 15, 2006

I have a central board of secondary education exam on friday. I also have another phyisics and chem exam on saturday from 3-6pm(in india results out at 10:30). By the time its 10:30pm. I will be thoroughly exhausted, sleepless, bewildered.... whatever be my admission decision, i am almost certain that it will deliver the final blow, and i shall pass out on my chair. Thus i am saving energy and doing what mit wants us to do, don't fret. do what you worte in "Done purely 4 fun". I am doin it, and believe me it takes the mind off the tension, and time passes easily and quickly.

I always say god is a mathematician, universe is an equation. I wonder what equations god has 4 admissions? best of luck to all.

Posted by: Prannay on March 15, 2006

And yes, best of luck to all fellow indians giving the cbse chem exam on friday. i hope none of u read this as it means u r not studying dedicatedly. again BEST oF lUCK to all!!

Posted by: Prannay on March 15, 2006

2 days, 13 hrs, and 18 minutes

Honestly, when the time comes i think i'm going to be too nervous to check it online

Posted by: April (Waiting...again) on March 15, 2006

hmmm...I'got it all planned now...I'll have on my Ipod Tokyo Hotel's "durch den monsun," So that, when the time comes for me to know for sure, I can either scream out loud their lirics and sing such sorrowful song...or!!! I can pick up the phone and call my b/f up and say: "hey, lets go out to the movies" ... /._. yay!!!

Posted by: Amalchi on March 16, 2006

"

"

...great plan

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2006

Aww sh**!

Where do you come from? Germany?

Seems like those Tok_i_o Hotel kids are haunting me. *g*

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2006

Wow.

Posted by: 0 on March 16, 2006

Mmmmmhhhh........oops i don't even have what to say coz all has been said by everybody whoz written smthn.......but they've all forgotten to say....GOD BLESS Y'ALL FOR ALL YOUR TIRELESS EFFORT.... Thanks for eveything you've done and yup i hope for the best for me!!!!!!!!!!

Mwaah!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Maxima on March 17, 2006

Having applied to 6 of the monster Universities in the US i've been on top of some pretty devious application processes. From the HEART, MIT's was the most user friendly and here you guys go again, doing all you can for us anxious prospects. Although I can't yet say YESSSS finally the pressure is off!, at least I know I won't be hanging by this worn, uncomfortable thread for too long again. Much Gratitude.

Jonny

Posted by: Jonathan Barcant on March 17, 2006

hihihi *to : anonymous

well, actually, I come from Puerto Rico **we speak spanish down here, just in case wink *

so, to tell you the truth, I have no clue as to what the tokio hotel lirics are actually meaning or saying but ...well....their songs remind me of the good ol' days ^^ yeah!!! rock on!!

Posted by: Amalchi on March 17, 2006

My daughter got admitted this weekend. Now, after reading your blog for the first time, I am so moved that I am choked up with emotion. Thank you so much Ben! I had no idea what the MIT admissions process was like. I look forward to meeting you at the admit weekend to thank you personally for all you have done.

Posted by: David Fairweather on March 20, 2006

when will 2007 application begin, hope it will be soon.

thanks in advance.

Posted by: harith on May 25, 2006