MIT blogger Elizabeth C. '13

Sounds of Summer by Elizabeth Choe '13

What've you been listening to lately?

Howdy homies! Has it really been over a year since I posted this? Holy giggles it has!

Now I don’t know about you beautiful folks, but I still have four glorious days of summer break left, so I will continue to unapologetically blast some 90’s Mariah Carey in my car, but if her jamz don’t float your boat, here are some other tunes I’ve been playing this summer. Warning: They are mostly borderline-saccherinely peppy songs.

“Tallulah” by Company of Thieves – This is the kind of song that you enthusiastically sing along to alone in the car at 7 in the morning and other drivers stare at you but it’s like, I AIN’T EVEN MAD because you’re in such a good mood. This is completely uncharacteristic of the rest of their material, just sos ya knows.

“The Walk” by Mayer Hawthorne – This is the kind of song that you play in your head as you walk around like a badass until you realize that you are really just knocking over the displays at the Gap. Warning: he’s got a lil’ bit of a potty-mouth in this video, sorry.

“New York City” by Punch Brothers – This is the kind of song you listen to after your little brother has insisted on listening to Owl City and Train for the last hour and you’ve forgotten what real music sounds like.
“Doo Wop (That Thing)” by Lauryn Hill – This is the kind of song that makes you lament the state of current popular female hip-hop artists. This is also the kind of song that makes you want to go back to the 90’s. Also, it is mandatory to shout out “RESPECT IS JUST THE MINIMUM” along with her.
“Written in Reverse” by Spoon – This is the kind of song that you Elaine-dance to. When I was in 7th grade, I listened to Celine Dion, Shania Twain, and Spoon. This was also when I was obsessed with becoming a herpetologist/entomologist/Jeff Corwin. I just want you to imagine pre-teen me for a second. Are you done laughing?
“A Change is Gonna Come” cover by Ben Sollee – This is the kind of song where you really admire all aspects of the artist’s musicianship but then get totally distracted by the drummer because he looks exactly like Luke Skywalker.
“Winter Ghosts” by JBM – This is the kind of song that you play when it’s been over a 100 degrees for weeks and your state has been in a drought all summer… actually no, it’s mainly for when you want to sway back and forth like a sad hipster kid because you are wearing cut-off shorts and haven’t showered in a while.
“Help Yourself” by Amy Winehouse – This is the kind of song you put on a blog post to see if anyone knows where you can buy it. She never released it in the US. :(
“Shipping Up to Boston” by Dropkick Murphys – This is the kind of song you play as you’re getting ready to head back to the ‘Tute, because, well, nevermind. I don’t have to justify Dropkick Murphys.
Rite of Spring by Stravinsky – This is the kind of piece you listen to on repeat because MITSO is playing it this year and you have no idea how to play it! Welp
What have you guys been listening to lately?