MIT student blogger Mitra L. '07

Special October Events by Mitra L. '07

Though I haven’t had internet for the past week, there has still been plenty to keep me busy. Here are some of the many events from this time of year, both dorm and city-wide.

————

The Annual Burton-Conner Apple Bake:

Win as much as $500 for your floor, the most prize money ever!

Apples will be provided by your GRT on Friday, October 21. Entries are due Sunday the 23rd at 3:00pm in the Porter Room. Winners will be announced around 4:00pm and eating will commence.

$500 in prize money will be awarded in the following categories:

-Apple Pie
-Apple Cobbler, Crisp, or Cake
-Apple Sculpture
-Appetizer
-Entree
-Most Creative
-Best Overall

Happy Cooking!

—————–

Greetings, Burton-Conner,

Just a reminder of the dorm-wide pumpkin carving study break this Wednesday at 8:30 p.m. in the Porter Room. We have obtained carts full of the biggest (i.e. great for your elaborate, scary triple integral jack-o-lantern) pumpkins I have ever seen. Plus, there are world-famous pumpkin white chocolate chip cookies promised, and more candy than anyone cares to think about. Did I mention prizes for the funniest, scariest, geekiest, most original, and best overall jack-o-lantern? Stop by for a break and great stress relief.

——————

Hey, Burton-Conner-ites!
Think you know everything there is to know about sex?
Want to prove once and for all who the true players are in Burton-Connor?

Come represent your floor in a fast-paced game of “Sex Jeopardy,” which will test your knowledge of safer sex & contraception. The winning team will get a cash prize of $50.00 for their floor. Laura Stuart, MIT’s sexuality educator, will be on hand to MC the game, answer all your questions about sex, and give away lots of free condoms, lube and other safer sex supplies!

—————
Spooky Skate (The Great Masquerade)

Free Ice Skating In Johnson Ice Rink
Cookies for Decorating
Masquerade Masks for making
Drinks, etc.
and a COSTUME CONTEST!!

Johnson Ice Rink
10 pm – 12:30 am

—————

Life Is Good Pumpkin Festival

Life is good will try to break the Guiness World Record for most lit jack-o-lanterns at the Life is good Pumpkin Festival! In addition to jack-o-lanterns, festival-goers will find great food, live bands and entertainment, a pie eating contest, a costume parade, face painting, magic shows, carving contests, and the Gargantuan Gourds Guessing Game. The event is free and all proceeds raised from retail sales will benefit Camp Sunshine, a national retreat for children with life-threatening illnesses and their families.

———————-

Boston Vegetarian Food Festival

Free admission, free food sampling, free parking! A day of fun, good food & learning! Exhibitors of vegetarian natural foods from across the country & locally offer free food samples & show special discounts. Taste a wide variety of delicious foods – new products & classic favorites. Learn from speakers who are top national experts on health & nutrition. Cooking demos by award winning chefs & recipe tasting. Educational exhibits on animals & the environment, children’s activities.

————–

Head Of The Charles

Head of The Charles Regatta, America’s Fall Rowing Festival & the world’s largest 2 day rowing event, is October 22 & 23 on the Charles River from the BU Bridge to Artesani park in Brighton. Competitors race 3 miles against the clock and against each other, seeking to win the honorary title “Head of the Charles”. Activities line the route. There is a concert at the Weeks Footbridge and a sales and Expo tent at Herter Park.

Check out the MIT Varsity Crew website

Also, fun fact: The All-American Rejects played a free concert on Saturday for the event!

———-

COMING UP:

Fall Festival – Bayou Bash

Who: The Wild Magnolias and other New Orleans Jazz musicians (see website for list and details)
Where: Kresge
When: Sunday, October 30, 7 pm (doors at 6:30)

All ticket sales go towards two charities: the Childrens Hospital of New Orleans and a high school in Mississippi that needs money to buy musical instruments and rebuild their music program. Donations will also be taken at all Fall Festival events.

———-

COMING UP:

Midautumn Night’s Dream
MIT Campus-Wide Fall Formal 2005

Venue: Imperial Ballroom, Boston Park Plaza Hotel
Transportation will be provided to and from the event.

———-

The MIT Caribbean Club Presents…..

Caribbean Night 2005
“A night of Great Food, Music and Cultural Festivities”

Exquisite Caribbean based dishes will be served. Boasting a wide variety of professionally prepared culinary delights.

The entertainment for the night includes: Four time Steel Pan Competition Champions, Pantonic Steel Orchestra, from Brooklyn NY, limbo competition, and blazing Caribbean music like soca, dancehall and reggae. So if you love Caribbean music this is the event to attend!

Attendees will also have a chance to win tickets to see Wyclef Jean

5 responses to “Special October Events”

OH WOW free pumpkin white chocolate cookies?! I might just have to make the walk down one floor. I don’t know why I find out more MIT events through your blog than my own e-mail. Last year at pumpkin carving, the Red Sox won the world series during the judging. The scary triple integral pumpkins were still pretty impressive even when juxtaposed against this historical event, however.

2. priyanka says:

Wow!! there’s a lot happening in & around mit.. can’t wait 4 a posting ’bout the formal..how d’ya guyz find the time 2 study??

3. TKD says:

The Imperial Ballroom? How perfectly bourgeoise . . .

wink

(I’M KIDDING)!!!

. . . kind of.

4. nehalita says:

Jeez so many things going on! So how do you guys find out about everything? Is it all in an e-mail or is there a “master” bulletin or do you have to find out from different sites, etc.?

5. Mitra says:

Many of these things are advertised in emails or on posters all over campus. Another good place is the Events Calendar:

http://events.mit.edu

hope this helps