Spy vs. Spy by Matt McGann '00

The former directors of the US and Saudi intelligence agencies speak at MIT.

“Saudi Arabia and the Global Community”
Thursday, February 16, 4pm
Bartos Theater, MIT

Starting shortly across campus from here is an interesting lecture/discussion. The featured speaker will be Prince Turki Al-Faisal, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the United States. The forum will be moderated by MIT Professor of Chemistry John Deutch. The talk is hosted by the Center for International Studies.

What makes the talk particularly intriguing is the roles previously played by the two speakers. Prince Turki served as director general of Saudi Arabia’s main foreign intelligence service, the General Intelligence Directorate, from 1977 to 2001. Prof. Deutch ran the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency as Director of Central Intelligence from 1995 to 1996.

This event is not being webcast, but some very interesting international affairs lectures at MIT are available from MIT World:

Nuclear Technology in a Changing World: Have We Reached a Turning Point? – Mohamed ElBaradei
The World is Flat – Thomas L. Friedman
Comparative Insights: Marshall Plan, Japan, and Iraq – John W. Dower, Charles S. Maier
Reflections – George Shultz
America at War? – Helen Thomas, David Thorburn
The World Economy – Olivier Blanchard, Ricardo Caballero

Enjoy!

11 responses to “Spy vs. Spy”

1. Fadl says:

Interesting. So Matt did you watch it and if you did how was it?? It’s too bad I didn’t have the chance to see it being halfway across the world and all…wink

2. Vivek says:

Matt studied

Management Science at mit class of 2000

3. Bryan says:

Is it my imagination… or did the stack of applictions, in the photo above, grow larger?

4. Hey Matt!

Wow! That’s amazing! Prince Turki is speaking at MIT! Now that’s not a lecture you can get every day, not to mention Professor Deutch! I wish i could have been there, and please Matt tell us how it went if you did go at all.

Hehe Bryan that’s an interesting comment ;P I don’t really remember but I don’t think Matt has the time to retake a picture with an even BIGGER stack of applications ;P Good Luck with reading those apps. Matt! I’m just overjoyed that all my materials were received already :D WooHoo for the MIT Application Tracking Team!!!

Regards,

Abdulaziz (Aziz) Albahar

5. U3 says:

Hey Matt,

A question completely unrelated to the blog topic. What did you major in at MIT?

6. Hey Shikhar!

If you’re reading this. I’d like to know what are your plans for college.

Is it MIT ‘r bust?

Also, which part of India are you from?

Drop a message, at pmalanigmailcom

Regards

Prashant Malani

7. M says:

Hi Matt,

Also on a completely unrelated topic.. I would like to ask when the MyMIT Tracking system will display the status of receipt of financial aid documents to meet the financial aid deadline, since I’m not sure whether my finaid docs have reached MIT and mail in my country generally takes 2+ weeks to get to MIT.

8. Siddharth says:

hey p,

i was wondering the same thing a/b u and shikhar and arka. are u in india or am? what do u guys plan to major in? i’ll prolly take a gap yr, but its not entirely certain yet, altho it IS getting kind of close to decision time ^_^

SiddharthKShah+PMalani @ gmail . com (no spaces, im just trying to avoid spam)

Siddharth

9. Jason Murray says:

Well, I guess my Econ teacher wasn’t lying. She has been drilling into us that two books we have to read “New Ideas from Dead Economists” and “The World is Flat” are used in colleges and we should spend the time to read them well. Friedman speaking at MIT convinces me smile

To those who asked about Matt’s picture, I don’t think there is any need to retake a picture with a bigger stack. It could simply be Photoshopped. If you remember, Matt was wearing a Santa hat in the picture around the winter holiday season. That was probably added in after the picture was taken, and it could be the same way with the stack of applications.